Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

and another ,a blackcap in a blossom tree at 22 mtrs distance.even though a large crop its retained detail in the birds breast
dividends by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
and another ,a blackcap in a blossom tree at 22 mtrs distance.even though a large crop its retained detail in the birds breast
Isn't he looking at an insect? Maybe dinner? What a moment (if he is)!

BTW I tried this lens today. God knows how you (edit: and others :))manage to hand hold it and get the results you do!

Last edited:
Isn't he looking at an insect? Maybe dinner? What a moment (if he is)!

BTW I tried this lens today. God knows how you (edit: and others :))manage to hand hold it and get the results you do!
thats cos i is a big ferker matey :exit::exit:

Anyone know if there is a lens cap available for the sport, I'm really starting to hate the hood cover that comes with it.
yes mike ,on e/bay one of the lads that sells lens covers etc on there does a lightweight plastic camo one for it cost me about £4 last year ,fits like a ladies shower cap with elastic round the edge ,does the job nicely and scrunches up to nothing in your pocket .i'll see if i can find a link .there ya go that was easy peasy.
e/bay item number121 587 219 419 cost £5.65

Last edited:
yes mike ,on e/bay one of the lads that sells lens covers etc on there does a lightweight plastic camo one for it cost me about £4 last year ,fits like a ladies shower cap with elastic round the edge ,does the job nicely and scrunches up to nothing in your pocket .i'll see if i can find a link .there ya go that was easy peasy.
e/bay item number121 587 219 419 cost £5.65

Thanks for that but it's much the same as the original from what I can see.

Anyway it seems Sigma do a 105mm clip on cap for the 120-300mm f2.8 so hopefully that may fit.

Thanks for that but it's much the same as the original from what I can see.

Anyway it seems Sigma do a 105mm clip on cap for the 120-300mm f2.8 so hopefully that may fit.
No not at all Mike the original is stiff and unyielding which makes it hard to store ,the plastic one that I have sent the link for scrunches up no bigger than a hankie

I,m seriously considering the 150-600mm Sport (50th birthday present to myself) and was wondering what bag would be suitable? I've got a Lowepro mini trekker, would the lens fit or should I be looking for something bigger? Does anyone have any suggestions.

I,m seriously considering the 150-600mm Sport (50th birthday present to myself) and was wondering what bag would be suitable? I've got a Lowepro mini trekker, would the lens fit or should I be looking for something bigger? Does anyone have any suggestions.

I use a LowePro Flipside 400 for mine... The lens hood has to be reversed in the bag but there's plenty of room for other stuff as well. :)

i have a few bags including the mini trekker and my gripped 7D with 150-600mm sport just fits with the hood reversed.
I can fit the camera/lens, 100mm macro, 24-105mm and a flash in there.

No not at all Mike the original is stiff and unyielding which makes it hard to store ,the plastic one that I have sent the link for scrunches up no bigger than a hankie

It's the faffing about taking it off and putting it back on that annoys me and from what I can see you still have that. I have ordered the Sigma cap now so hopefully it will fit ok.

Do aquatech do a cap I'm really impressed by mine for the Nikon 500mm f4 vr

It's the faffing about taking it off and putting it back on that annoys me and from what I can see you still have that. I have ordered the Sigma cap now so hopefully it will fit ok.
Takes about ten seconds to put on ,can't really see where your coming from ,hope the sigma cap works

Mines never been in a bag since I bought it over a year ago now ,I have a full length waterproof cover for it if it looks remotely like rain ,which also goes over the camera (from wildlife watching supplies ) the lens and camera is carried on a black rapid sports harness ,I have a waterproof lens end cover to as discussed further up the thread ,,I do have a very lightweight backpack camera bag which will take the camera lens if needed but I have never yet needed to use it

Morning chaps. Is anyone else's Sport sharp as anything on a subject over 15 meters away at 500mm but much softer at 600mm?

Morning chaps. Is anyone else's Sport sharp as anything on a subject over 15 meters away at 500mm but much softer at 600mm?
nope mines as sharp as f*** right the way through .the new canon 80D has actually improved it .saying that though i don't think i have really tried it at 500mm so it might be worth a try

i have a few bags including the mini trekker and my gripped 7D with 150-600mm sport just fits with the hood reversed.
I can fit the camera/lens, 100mm macro, 24-105mm and a flash in there.
That's good to hear as I've just bought one, being delivered tomorrow [emoji1]. But it's a birthday present so I ought to wait [emoji22] .

Narni springs to mind...amongst other things too risky to add here lol!

One at 600mm, hand held 1/200 sec @ f6.3, ISO400....so the IS (OS) must be doing it's work OK.

7D2_9314s.jpg

Lovely photo Les.
Is it cropped? PP?
Yes it is cropped, mainly from right, bit annoyed I clipped the kite's tail, but wanted to grab a shot before it flew off.
Here's a screen grab from the original RAW file (re-sized)

Screen-Shot-2016-05-02-at-14.00.45.jpg

I sent mine back to Sigma today as it's soft as anything at anything over 15 meters at 600mm :(
I had similar problems with mine on my old 70d ,luckily we have quite a few other cameras in house and close friends to check it on ,and it turned out to be the camera not the lens .

I had similar problems with mine on my old 70d ,luckily we have quite a few other cameras in house and close friends to check it on ,and it turned out to be the camera not the lens .

I've tried it on my 5D3, 7D2 and my friends 7D2 and it's the same on all 3

I sent mine back to Sigma today as it's soft as anything at anything over 15 meters at 600mm :(
Hmmmm, interesting. I can't work out whether there is a problem with my lens, whether I haven't set my camera up correctly or I am expecting too much over IQ.

Was going to start a new post and put some picture up to gauge people's views. Just not had the time so will be interested in your outcome and also sample images of what you believe are soft - both less than 15m and above.

Back