Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

For those that use one, what sort of tripod works well for this? I'd prefer something on the smaller/lighter end, for more occasional use than frequent.

I use mines mainly on a monopod with a gimbal head. Works a treat.
I also have a Manfrotto 190 which I use ok as long as I'm holding the camera/lens. If I want total stability I use my chunkier benro tripod .

Last edited:
Definitely happy with this lens, I took it out again on monday for the first time this year.

It's great for wildlife
IHxPaKp4RrCeT8A7i7QaGO5xrQ_mH5mh-3y15O1O-g0s8QynlECqRulw7qnAic-Glo1AeeJ8E0Kq8WKQV71hzQpmubJvDMlFM39Y_oCfggyL-KhY8ufSZQTdCM35DDkDO7_UVUVMJGdvMFA7_vVjF0sfCJUDlu1SzFcHAFjXF8OvYhcDin6kRwV3HoUmxdOUdyL07TFRzz404CadxXwqe5U-lBYKgZLBZrgbHjUr_2-6CIrQLIclfMc8n5aECVk1MKpdQAuw_dGY9kWs1vkVc13SbXj9ZvdxI86UCLMygvF-suH-vy56_Sczs_qQdVsOkBPguFfnesweRBqCJWCdQriPKJlLv_R6VsMFHKCZNwPnWbbK7_XZhlsMeMkZgLVSugU9gpLdopJLBAnFWNDaHZK4JJsRAqDsxeUc9ZseS03JauKDD5OJmlYVDO8NSjkdLHcsr3PWDCxHon-jQzZNNfJSTBxsSG08pCeRSazPw9PTX_Oy7iWoqZLy74OxftHMQ7yitRll9_nYMpqTtolvnewR4l-qW4IvpLx523Z5PL5xt2OOR7KiIebuOq3cYlU-ElPL1PCklz2tj_2aP-toXpQmbTFggB_3_RLkD8ZTFLr5nH6QFzTwBT2mux3i6dfAtxfE39WFA8PvW2CbT-e1zCy9Z0-BNxQDGWPTcPYPjA=w1049-h700-no

It's great for not so wildlife
VpqzKRm8T_4w7956K6_HgSoz6yZXtf5zsXWuY5sPdNJOwFTzea2B5iYEpE7ez1I6OiQ4jQDdyIB_RiJVBQ33QxbefWj-odgPhs6qO-6PTEswp9q43R7tuPlp-aylX9RBwHCSjT7PmBDnDW1xwqjQkDsCgBCGkOnM1F6cAPY9nxUEzUmtBbp62HeN0dIA2qcyq6Xw8a_yNTI73Krib7e-MHM1YZAFr4-kMGgH00pcTTO3-dy4N7q1AVgSNdIQsEwRbVq7nu1MA6STshdfZbPp70f52YjS9GQY_AIjfci-QfIZGBOBPH75x1Ezf42_Z-cJjPrPD5GCdC22qm85R5QNRnJnxc_EM9EvPT9m8lDY80IaMjegMoBif4L6ReJkwJczTHM7fM6dLIYNA2DuoV9eLD6V35E9ITPZRLC5kDn_V3wGVk02rKt6DjoxWz0POJMjUKbmXQyJE3W7x3Wm7ZzY0fl3k9i6QMG7duxCqrGnd9fUTGmSHoEXBTdJo2X0P3O-QtfndXZtc90_B4jIHe1XLZHztHzoFLTb9FI6DNiwBGpC2PDYHO6Jw7S5WwttLCbHgSmSTOvSdEJ1fyaMDbO1BfPWTcxUVX86GVY_wd9cCJTIKKvhBeJKIdhsApGgFVehsUPg_lsEGBjNOLM-GypyRzRu_10uTaHsQ01RWKTMgg=w1049-h700-no

And it's great for family portraiture!
sg2CWajJnA9LD758EcbxLG0H-Ko8_k7VGJUDuTYABLcGbm9-yTsFFWEOn-NybQyrwYVKeR0knTp-1kazbFTTAnxH7i6d5gbyVa_CUTLKpwWytTQj3t0cyMQGQE--QHrUG8Dq0J0gfcqbBOqX6x7PC7DNnsZjVicBRmpaZj4Joa7pPcuZwLieio80lBbVb1gp-lh3OaGDWXeJguFkNKNs35qWW123KZRgl2QbzPv-KfH_0EQH8IbbZ1MLKJyHh-eNBMmYhbAcU70Y5osNMbtw-Y32OogEVkq9qExxie_AiB8hssJ3swulXbjLE8niljANkpLXaxi2S5Z3F0XufufAPavzcmmdsykSsmnAP3Plaz2sm5f1JE9kFxZmN5_JRphcO9ZpIhfCv64CZBfeQDzZFAw2vgjdvF0dPjC3wk5B6FvedPhxM2NfabHjDdCa7xx8f5ZGlu2qdYGAncu3ozuAvbkYcpWhfqQ_am_iokWXoKhXqxMu_3vpPkQcRXdn8kYpslkuUZnosraZaNDtlSOtpQdZaatStsepqV3FibH59i2Gud4oV8eQtjAl4Br-4mtc8ooX-627dyKIk8ctgnCXiJSp8ugcHOK5K9dOi-GSrdaasdVBNf7z_QZxFVDG0jrko5wdjoJRI5sPqHpLlKamI_LhflmyqPjIqqqYVLWp8w=w1049-h700-no

Maybe i should try becaming a weeding photographer with it!

Been following this thread almost since it was started. Finally decided to go for one of these lenses this year but they're that good no one seems to sell them used on here. If anyone's thinking of selling theirs I've got a for sale post in the classifieds to trade for my 100L Macro or cash.

I keep reading this thread and I really shouldn't, as the urge to buy one of these is rising rather rapidly. Can't someone just tell me it's terrible so my wallet can feel safer? :D

just watch the lens hood part, i lost the cover off mine.

I did exactly the same with in the first few weeks of getting mine, I was fortunate to retrace where I'd walked and find it :)

What I did was put a couple of prices of sticky backed velcro on the hood, one either side, it grips the cover really well and stops it moving around

lens hood.jpg

Last edited:
Are you using their premium ones? I have a premium one for my 300 2.8 and its rubber backed so holds really well to lens the original style the neoprene seems to slide easily so wondered if this is the ones you have?

would the adhesive mark the hood?

Not sure Laurence, its not something I've thought about. Suppose if I was to sell the lens the cover would go with it, once the velcros on I can't see a reason for taking it off :)

Are you using their premium ones? I have a premium one for my 300 2.8 and its rubber backed so holds really well to lens the original style the neoprene seems to slide easily so wondered if this is the ones you have?

Must be a cheapie Adam, mine definitely isn't rubber back :D

Not sure Laurence, its not something I've thought about. Suppose if I was to sell the lens the cover would go with it, once the velcros on I can't see a reason for taking it off :)

Mine is on neoprene but it still slides off.
You make a good point Phil about the the lens and cover being considered as one unit, the velcro would not need to come off.

When I went to purchase one it was only £5 more so thought it was worth the gamble as remembered the one I had on my 500 when I had it used to move about, it was worth the extra :)

Trying to decide between this and the sport version. I'm sure everyone in this thread had to make the same decision. Other that price what was the reason for going for the contemporary? It seems like the sport is only better for weather sealing and the contemporary is then lighter,cheaper and not noticeably worse in iq either.

Trying to decide between this and the sport version. I'm sure everyone in this thread had to make the same decision. Other that price what was the reason for going for the contemporary? It seems like the sport is only better for weather sealing and the contemporary is then lighter,cheaper and not noticeably worse in iq either.
I believe the sport has slightly improved IQ, but I tried the contemporary and was pleased with the IQ, and didn't need weather sealing, or extra weight. :)

Snob factor as well as the S looks nicer but once covered in neoprene it makes no difference.

The C is an excellent lens and I use mine a lot as it is my walkabout lens when out with my dogs during daylight walks. The weather sealing was my main concern but then I weighed up how often I go out in the rain to take photos for fun which is not a lot versus how often I would want to carry a close to 3kg lens around. I did buy a weather jacket for mine which has never been used yet. I also have a Sigma 120-300S which I use for football matches so I know what it is like too lug around a heavy lens (not much fun). It is also weather sealed as is my 1DMKiv but I still use a rain coat on them at rainy matches.

I got mine second hand but the £500 saving on new prices should help you decide.

I'll keep my 70-300L for a weather sealed tele. I've seen comparison images for iq and I really struggle to see very much difference at all. If anything some reviews seem to favour the contemporary saying it has less glass to move and focuses slightly faster.

I tried the c and didn't bother with the s as the c was heavy enough. I also tried the canon 100-400 mk2 both lenses were good but I went for the extra reach

I tried the c and didn't bother with the s as the c was heavy enough. I also tried the canon 100-400 mk2 both lenses were good but I went for the extra reach

How did you feel iq compared to the 100-400 out of interest?

The canon lens was very good it was also lighter than the sigma.
I was only looking at the back screen and to be honest the sigma held its own. If you look in the birds photos I have posted some flamingoes and I feel that shows how good this lens is

Most of my recent photos have been low light as in at dusk or past sunset. ISO12,800, f6.3 handheld 1/1000 and 1/640 at 600mm using a 7Dii so I guess this lens will work in tough conditions and will focus in poor light. Noise reduction in lightroom up to 70 and I usually only go to 30 so a lot of noise but not to bad a result if you want owl photos.

Hunting Barn Owl
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Barn Owl spotting prey

Barn Owl Hunting

Barn Owl Hunting

Last edited:
Back