Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Depends if you update the lens firmware. If it's old firmware the older apo one will work - if it's got updated firmware only the 1401 works

i take it i need the 1401 then as its on the newest firmware thanks for the reply :)

i take it i need the 1401 then as its on the newest firmware thanks for the reply :)
I'm positive I saw it on the Sigma website when I updated mine but I can't find it now about the older 1.4 TC no longer working - will keep looking for it

any of you guys done panning (motorsports etc.) with this lens? I haven't yet but as motorsport season beckons I'll be trying it out, just wondered if you had any advice/ shots for it? better off hand holding than investing in a monopod?
I've used it quite a bit, use it the same as any other lens really, I just hand hold;

Kevin MAGNUSSEN, Renault RS16, British GP 2016. by Jim, on Flickr

WEHRLEIN installation lap by Jim, on Flickr

Button with Torro Rosso by Jim, on Flickr

any of you guys done panning (motorsports etc.) with this lens? I haven't yet but as motorsport season beckons I'll be trying it out, just wondered if you had any advice/ shots for it? better off hand holding than investing in a monopod?

Sorry, missed this.

First time I got the lens, I went to Le Mans last year. Took the following. All hand held. Didn't have the best of position so the wire fence adds some blur in places as I couldn't get close enough to it.

1) Le Mans 24h - LM P3 Race - Classic & Modern Racing - Ferrari F458 Italia GT3 - off-roading by rackhs, on Flickr

2) Le Mans 24h - Pegasus Racing - Morgan - Nissan by rackhs, on Flickr

3) Le Mans 24h - Team AAI - Chevrolet Corvette C7 by rackhs, on Flickr

4) Le Mans 24h - Aston Martin Racing - Aston Martin V8 Vantage by rackhs, on Flickr

The only time I put mine on a monopod was at 500mm or over but I do go down on shutter speed for panning. The results were OK I do get better with a 70-200mmf2.8ii on close ups and better with my 300mmf4 or 120-300Sport even with a 1.4TC on but I don't then get over 420mm and the Sport weighs a ton in comparison. Just using one lens saves taking two bodies or changing lens and or TC at a dusty race track. I found it does not work great through fences due to the aperture it can be done but you need to be close to the fence and not have the sun shinning on it to avoid the crisscross shadows on the photo.

600mm 1/160

47 Richard Cooper
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

516mm 1/250

67 Shakey

347mm 1/250 hand held

23 Ryuichi Kiyonari

150mm 1/125 hand held

91 Leon Haslam

Last edited:
For your first it is a cracker of a shot :)

Well if I am honest I think that was about the third in a sequence lol

It landed twice more later but flew straight off :-(

What's the bottom one with the yellow head called ?

Any tips on setting the lens up for birds in flight?

I stupidly set mine back to how it came and can't remember my C1 or C2 settings.

I know one was static as in in a tree the other was in flight. I went out earlier and it was horrible.

did you actually customize c1 or c2 with the dock.amd how do you meanit was horrible.

I did when I got the lens which was a while ago and today I had some time and thought I would check for an update and then pressed the wrong button I guess.

It hunted badly and OS was rubbish in both settings. I will go back to set it up tomorrow but any tips would be great.

I did when I got the lens which was a while ago and today I had some time and thought I would check for an update and then pressed the wrong button I guess.

It hunted badly and OS was rubbish in both settings. I will go back to set it up tomorrow but any tips would be great.

The OS would likely have been working just as well, it's just with the other settings you can see it in use (steadying the image in the VF) and the other settings it doesn't stabilise the image in the VF but does still work.

Beautiful colours on that Mandarin there Steve

In my aimless wanderings today I spied some distant movement, with the naked eye I couldn't make out exactly what it was. Using the lens showed me this:
33075570230_06b904e8de_c.jpg

In pp I cropped as much as I dared:
32615542334_d93928471b_c.jpg

I'm truly amazed at the quality of this lens.

Back