Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

I was going through some old shots trying to figure out when the Hobby's will be back and came across this. Even though I have decided to get the 500mm f4 I think I might try and hold onto the C for a bit just to compare. I know it weighs about half that of the prime, but f4 is just too tempting.

Hobby (Falco subbuteo)
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Last edited:
Two of the first batch taken with the 150-600 C.

33220837251_f42a69e526_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_1925r

32534502373_f35fc319cf_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_1908r

Bought one of these this afternoon. Won't be able to play with it until tomorrow.

An unimportant question - Sigma say it will not work with my EOS film cameras. Why not?

Bought one of these this afternoon. Won't be able to play with it until tomorrow.

An unimportant question - Sigma say it will not work with my EOS film cameras. Why not?

No aperture ring at a guess and are your film cameras FD mount???.........I use Nikon so not sure on Canon film cameras.

Last edited:
No aperture ring at a guess and are your film cameras FD mount???.........I use Nikon so not sure on Canon film cameras.
No, my film cameras are EOS - 5, 50 and 650. Sigma are clear the 150-600 C will not work on EOS film cameras - none of whose lenses have aperture rings.

No, my film cameras are EOS - 5, 50 and 650. Sigma are clear the 150-600 C will not work on EOS film cameras - none of whose lenses have aperture rings.

The lenses are simply designed for digital only, the aperture control being one reason. They use electronic apertures controlled by software (in cam and lens).

The film body can't communicate with new lenses such as these, and there's no manual override or control.

Last edited:
Just tried my canon 1.4 TC II L with my 7D and the lens won't auto focus. Would the Sigma TC work?

The Canon TC will only work on certain Canon lenses, not all.
The Sigma one MAY work as some TCs fool the camera by reporting back lower values than they really are. If it did it would still be pretty slow though. I would try and meet up with someone who has one and test it first.

In theory my 1Dx and 5Diii shouldn't at 600mm as that takes it up to F9 with the TC but it works fine.

The Canon TC will only work on certain Canon lenses, not all.
The Sigma one MAY work as some TCs fool the camera by reporting back lower values than they really are. If it did it would still be pretty slow though. I would try and meet up with someone who has one and test it first.

In theory my 1Dx and 5Diii shouldn't at 600mm as that takes it up to F9 with the TC but it works fine.

Thanks. Need to find someone local with one or a friendly shop that will let me try one. But as you say it will be very slow [emoji106]

Where did most of you buy your 150-600 from.:)

Cheers for that,just looking for the best price.:)

Thanks guys.:)

Cheers for that.:)

Got mine from Amazon last Summer £690. Was bought direct from Amazon brand new but the hood had a very miniscule light mark on it. I went on to live chat and was sent £40 to my card so I could get a new one. Their customer service is outstanding.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,i am just after the lens,cheers for the links.:)

Had a look at RAF Coningsby yesterday, was first time I had the lens out of the box.

Tried it on both the 1dx and 7d mkii.. Think it needs a small amount of adjustment and was also a little disappointed at the speed of focus... But maybe that is just my settings.

RAF Coningsby (4) by Mark Gledhill, on Flickr

RAF Coningsby (129) by Mark Gledhill, on Flickr

RAF Coningsby (124) by Mark Gledhill, on Flickr
The dock is good for adjusting the focus speed. You can notice the difference when it's tweaked.

Nice pictures thou. Keeping meaning to get there to see if I can see any movements

The dock is good for adjusting the focus speed. You can notice the difference when it's tweaked.

Nice pictures thou. Keeping meaning to get there to see if I can see any movements

Indeed, it's much faster when set to speed priority. The good thing is you can set the custom switch up with it, I've got mine set to speed on setting 1, and pin point accuracy on setting 2. Very handy being able to change it at the quick flick of a switch :)

It looks a great lens.:)

Back