Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

My lens arrived today,i am very impressed with it.:):banana:

Our weather is crap here.:(

It looks really good.:)

I am using a canon 6D :)

Out of curiosity, I attached my old, relatively cheap Kenko x2 TC to take photos of the moon, and on my 6d it was able to AF, and very well too! I didn't think this combo would permit AF but there you go :)

Last edited:
Had a week in Norfolk with my new lens - my first chance to try it out. VERY impressed. There is a lot of room for improvement in my pictures, but that I me, rather than the lens. I have to learn to handle something both large and rather heavy. Here are a few from my first jaunt:
Buzzard.jpg Great White Egret.jpg Waders.jpg Weyborne_0238_edited-1.jpg

Cheers for that jake.:)

The photos I uploaded yesterday I had not sharpened - the Great White Egret in particular was a crop from a photo of a distant bird. Here are a couple more that I have sharpened slightly.

The harrier was almost too close - he came up out of a ditch aiming straight at me and did a sharp right.

The Bearded Tit was very difficult as there were so many reeds and the tit was continually moving - at least, the reed it was on was.

A further problem with these photos is that I used the Canon app to upload them to my tablet, thinking I was uploading the raw files - actually, they were jpegs 1900 by 1250 pixels

20170326173904__MG_0764_edited-1.jpg

20170328170529__MG_0821_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
The photos I uploaded yesterday I had not sharpened - the Great White Egret in particular was a crop from a photo of a distant bird. Here are a couple more that I have sharpened slightly.

The harrier was almost too close - he came up out of a ditch aiming straight at me and did a sharp right.

The Bearded Tit was very difficult as there were so many reeds and the tit was continually moving - at least, the reed it was on was.

A further problem with these photos is that I used the Canon app to upload them to my tablet, thinking I was uploading the raw files - actually, they were jpegs 1900 by 1250 pixels

View attachment 99071

View attachment 99072

While nicely composed, these again look a little soft? What settings are you using?

Quick question for a friend, does anyone know if this lens will autofocus on a D700 with the sigma 1.4tc attached?

Quick question for a friend, does anyone know if this lens will autofocus on a D700 with the sigma 1.4tc attached?

It should do.

My Canon 6d AFs with an old Kenko x2 attached, but I think the Kenko might mask the true aperture?

Nice shots,it would be good to see the exif though.:)

Nice shots,it would be good to see the exif though.:)
I know what you mean. For some reason affinity seems to remove it from a lot of images.
Not sure how to fix it. Any ideas @Kodiak Qc
Edit: I've discovered that the shots uploaded directly from Affinity Photo, have the exif removed, whereas the ones uploaded from my picture viewer retain the exif. Not sure why affinity is removing the exif. I'll check the settings.

Last edited:
A visit to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park on the weekend with the kids. Weather not great and sky very washed out but still managed to get a few shots in with the lens.

1)
Leopard-1 by rackhs, on Flickr

2)
Leopard-2 by rackhs, on Flickr

3) - cropped of the above image. The above was at 600mm - really pleased with the detail in this when cropped!
Leopard-3 by rackhs, on Flickr

4)
Leopard-4 by rackhs, on Flickr

5)
Lion-1 by rackhs, on Flickr

6)
Polar Bear-1 by rackhs, on Flickr

7) - at 600mm and cropped - and actually when zooming in further, can make out the 2 flies near the horn pretty well :)
Rhino-1 by rackhs, on Flickr

8)
Rhino-2 by rackhs, on Flickr

We went for a drive to anstruther,which is about just over a 2 hour drive for us to check out the boat for the isle of may trip.
We had a nice day there,we wanted to see people getting off the boat when it returned to harbour.
As my wife uses a stick,anyway the portable little gangway they use to get back onto the harbour is a problem.
The very accute angle means there is no way she could walk up it to get off the boat,she said go on your own but i said no,pity that.:(

Spent about an hour at Prestwick airport today playing with the sigma,really love it.:)

Back