Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Morning, just nearly bought the TC-1401 1.4x teleconverter, finger hovered over the 'buy it now' :D

Before I do, I would appreciate any thoughts from someone who uses/used one, I'll be using it on a D7200

Opinions on IQ?

Does it make the lens f8 or f9?

Will it autofucus on more than one point?

Owt else I should know?

Many thanks :)

Here's my take on a crop body do you really need one you effectively have it with the crop. On a personal note I'd rather keep all my focus points.

My son and I each bought the sigma contemporary with teleconverter just before Christmas. I use a 1d mk111 and my son a 7d mk11, we get fantastic results with this lens and find using the teleconverter the pictures are still great, and as we use it for wildlife and bird photography, we can keep a distance from the subject, so not to disturb it, which is our first priority

I did a Google search last night and tbh I'm still not 100% on the Sigma tc.

Reviews, opinions are mix and inconclusive regards IQ, focus points and aperture :confused:

I'm surprised no one else on the thread has any experience using it with the Contemporary!

Reviews, opinions are mix and inconclusive regards IQ, focus points and aperture :confused:

I'm surprised no one else on the thread has any experience using it with the Contemporary!

I have used my Kenko AF DGX converter with it, these do seem to work but there is a loss in IQ but nothing drastic and can be sorted in CC and the AF does hunt around, once locked on its pretty good but I wouldn't try to get an aircraft shot or anything moving in fact as the lens and Kenko combo will hunt all the time.

Some more shots, really pleased with the ISO 6400 of the 7d2. Some of these shots were slightly pushed in post.

33873431784_1342e869a8_k.jpg

33873419424_30934cf8b2_k.jpg

34584893401_a0c0882fb2_k.jpg

34553948422_0edb970a7a_k.jpg

33906404943_692317340f_k.jpg

34553919702_c22e41495b_k.jpg

34584824401_7683e96705_k.jpg

Just a thought Phil, Why don't you buy one from Amazon or Wex who have great return policies and see if it works for you on your combo..... I tried the Kenko DGX PRO 1.4TC and wasn't too impressed with it on the D810 or D500 and have since sold. Maybe better in summer/brighter light than the winter months I tried it, it just struggled to focus on my usual target of a neighbours alarm box and full size CCTV camera.

Just a thought Phil, Why don't you buy one from Amazon or Wex who have great return policies and see if it works for you on your combo..... I tried the Kenko DGX PRO 1.4TC and wasn't too impressed with it on the D810 or D500 and have since sold. Maybe better in summer/brighter light than the winter months I tried it, it just struggled to focus on my usual target of a neighbours alarm box and full size CCTV camera.

I think I've made me mind up I'm going to try one Simon, I'm in no rush, hopefully a 2nd hand one might come along, cheers

Those are amazing, Philip! May I ask what camera body you used?

Thanks. Nikon D750. I'm getting fairly close, those are barely cropped. I am suffering from noise/ low shutter speed though as i'm only getting down between 6 and 7am

Thanks. Nikon D750. I'm getting fairly close, those are barely cropped. I am suffering from noise/ low shutter speed though as i'm only getting down between 6 and 7am

Ah I see; impressive!! More full frame Thoughts...

and only had the 150-600mm lens with me.
Pretty amazing Robert, especially the 1st sun set, and the duckling ..(y)

You must have a really good camera :D

Indeed, nice shots Robert! My favourites are the first sunset and the Robin. The last duck image looks a little blurred, I'm wondering if the SS was too low? I noticed it was shot at f/8 and 1/350? That might have been a bit tight / slow?

Indeed, nice shots Robert! My favourites are the first sunset and the Robin. The last duck image looks a little blurred, I'm wondering if the SS was too low? I noticed it was shot at f/8 and 1/350? That might have been a bit tight / slow?
Cheers Jim,
To be honest, it was more of a grab shot as the camera wasn't set up for bif shots.
Next time I go back, I'll set it up properly for bif shots and see how I get on. :)

hey, new to this camera lark - currently have a canon eos 600d - 10-18mm,18-55mm and 55-250mm canon lens set.
birds , wildlife and landscape have most interest to me and living on Anglesey i have a lot of all of them.
unfortunately it has left me wanting for more reach with the camera and was looking at the budget!!! options ie tamrom and sigma.
i doubt i would be unhappy with any of the options but am swayed by the sigmas option for a tc and the dock (not that i need them) but it seems it would future proof me for a while.
anyway... my question is - does the camera set up i currently have warrant any of the 150-600mm lenses available? or am i asking too much??
many thanks
ben

hey, new to this camera lark - currently have a canon eos 600d - 10-18mm,18-55mm and 55-250mm canon lens set.
birds , wildlife and landscape have most interest to me and living on Anglesey i have a lot of all of them.
unfortunately it has left me wanting for more reach with the camera and was looking at the budget!!! options ie tamrom and sigma.
i doubt i would be unhappy with any of the options but am swayed by the sigmas option for a tc and the dock (not that i need them) but it seems it would future proof me for a while.
anyway... my question is - does the camera set up i currently have warrant any of the 150-600mm lenses available? or am i asking too much??
many thanks
ben

It will work brilliantly with your camera, go for it!

many thanks
ben

What do you mean? is your camera can take any of the 150-600? I don't see why it wouldn't.

just wanted to check that it wasnt a waste of money as i am so new to this dslr game and my gear being an older model - im coming from compacts - panasonic tz80 was my main camera until i bough the canon
only me holding it back then!
thanks guys will keep researching! swaying towards the sigma as i said (and in the sigma thread)
hopefully ill be replying with some pictures in the near future
thanks
ben

just wanted to check that it wasnt a waste of money as i am so new to this dslr game and my gear being an older model - im coming from compacts - panasonic tz80 was my main camera until i bough the canon
only me holding it back then!
thanks guys will keep researching! swaying towards the sigma as i said (and in the sigma thread)
hopefully ill be replying with some pictures in the near future
thanks
ben

To be fair your camera could also do with being upgraded to a more recent model too. Meaning it will handle a higher iso which will help keeping the shutter speed high which is needed when using a long lens at large f stop.

But you say you want more reach and changing camera body won't give you reach!

To be fair your camera could also do with being upgraded to a more recent model too. Meaning it will handle a higher iso which will help keeping the shutter speed high which is needed when using a long lens at large f stop.

But you say you want more reach and changing camera body won't give you reach!
thats what i was concerned about, but... i have only been into this game for a couple of months, i think (hope) that the body will be useable with anything i might buy such as lenses etc and then if i feel the need i could upgrade the body at a later time with everything still being compatible with the older body.
thanks so much for the input
ben

thats what i was concerned about, but... i have only been into this game for a couple of months, i think (hope) that the body will be useable with anything i might buy such as lenses etc and then if i feel the need i could upgrade the body at a later time with everything still being compatible with the older body.
thanks so much for the input
ben

It'll produce great images on the 600d in normal to middling light, as it does with my older bodies. When you upgrade the body with another Canon with better high ISO you can use it on that too and poor light won't be an issue :)

Last edited:
Back