Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

So I tried Center Weighted Metering today, and got to say I am happy with that on the 70D now. Here`s a few from today.
Looking good Dave (y)

Looks like a cracking lens. Nice Bokeh too. Obviously not on the moon shots...lol

Must not buy
I don't need another lens

Rinse and repeat

Not sure how long I can keep that up.

I have just ordered one after reading this whole thread............about 1 hr, should be in my hands tomorrow morning, I have a Kenko MC7 DGX AF converter, will the Sigma work with this, it doesn't matter if not as that is used on my 70-300ED

Last edited:
I must admit I'm very tempted too after following this thread for a few weeks! Think I need to sell a couple of under-used lenses and reinvest :D
Exactly what i did.:D

I have just been reading that if the lens is used with a converter the f number will be f8 maximum and that's using the latest Sigma converters, which doesn't bother me as I shoot slow shutter speeds for prop blur, what would using one on the Kenko DGX put my f number at as the review seemed to be using a Sigma 1.4x and my Kenko is 2.0x

For those of you that use a monopod with this lens, do you also use a head on the monopod?

A lot of monopods are quite short, I am only 6 foot but I don't want to have to stoop, are there decent monopods that allow you to have the view finder at eye level while standing erect?

For those of you that use a monopod with this lens, do you also use a head on the monopod?

A lot of monopods are quite short, I am only 6 foot but I don't want to have to stoop, are there decent monopods that allow you to have the view finder at eye level while standing erect?

I use a monopod if I'm using it for extended periods but I don't use a head, just a basic setup.

Well its arrived but the nice sunny weather disappeared, still I took it into the garden for a quick test, first impressions are, its heavier than I thought it was going to be for using hand held, still manageable though but I reckon I will need a good tripod or monopod for aircraft, anyway here's my very first test shot.
Hand held, 600mm 1/125 f6.3 iso 500 Nikon D7000 very dull bit the photo has brightened my day if this is what its capable of on a dull overcast day.

DSC_2402_zps6wnasqh7.jpg

Well its arrived but the nice sunny weather disappeared, still I took it into the garden for a quick test, first impressions are, its heavier than I thought it was going to be for using hand held, still manageable though but I reckon I will need a good tripod or monopod for aircraft, anyway here's my very first test shot.
Hand held, 600mm 1/125 f6.3 iso 500 Nikon D7000 very dull bit the photo has brightened my day if this is what its capable of on a dull overcast day.

DSC_2402_zps6wnasqh7.jpg

You shouldn't need a tripod for aircraft. I don't find it heavy until I've been using it for about an hour, then I crack the monopod out!

Does anyone know what the large rubber ring is for that has 150.600 stamped on and on the inside 4 slots

I officially hate you lot and TP.,
Decided I need a bit of extra reach on my 80-400 when I come and see the Yorkshire Polar Bears at the end of the month :wave:, so I popped down to Park Cameras to
ask about compatibility with a TC20III seems it will work ok but will slow down AF considerably :(
So I asked about these lenses and the difference between the sport and C, seems not a lot except weight and waterproofing
The sport is quite heavy and cumbersome, so a no go for me, but the C doesn't seem that much heavier then the Nikon 80-400.
Yep you guessed, I bought the C version :rolleyes:
Quite impressed with the results sitting in the garden this afternoon, think I will need a bit of practice before I head north with it though ;)
Just a sample of my first attempts
Just need to decide if I need all my lenses now :thinking: meant to be downsizing

Impressed with the clarity on this dandelion

34576885835_e994e81fa3_b.jpg

Flying bees

34576886165_c0accb47d2_b.jpg

In a flap

34535733086_2d759691fe_b.jpg

Bird in a bush

34446406211_6c594d2ac2_b.jpg

Ok stumpd

34535733386_4eb92a5cc4_b.jpg

Great images Phil. :clap:

Thanks John

Excellent photography Phil

Thankyou James

These are great shots and show this lens to its best

Thanks. I struggle for time except early in the morning so the shutter speeds on these are rather slow at around 1/250 and the iso at mostly 1600 and above. I'm hping to get out tomorrow morning for a couple of
hours in better light and a new gimbal head arrived yesterday so looking forward to trying it out too. Hoping for flight shots next.

Back