Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Advice needed

Today was the first chance I've had to use my Sigma lens on my new Canon 7D2, and I'm disappointed as I think the images look soft, this was not the case when I use it on my 7D1.

Taken on 7D1

View attachment 104281

Taken on 7D2

View attachment 104282

Should I send the lens back or try and calibrate it myself?

Thanks Phil

Looks like it need a bit of adjustement with the dock. It's not rocket science to do but you need a computer, some space and some patience! But the procedure is pretty self explanatory.

Lay in wait for this little guy before he scurried away!

35234233771_8bf18de14f_k.jpg

Ive just had to send mine back to sigma.
A while back it stared making a strange noise, a bit like a whistling sound while trying to auto focus, this has progressed to throwing focus out of the window and totally freezing up out of focus, the only way to get back on track was to change to single point focus and 150mm.
Sigma received the lens yesterday and sent me a bill for £140 for new AF motor and circuit board even though its still covered by the free three year warranty.
This has now been resolved by emailing them a copy of the sales receipt to show where and when it was bought.
Hopefully i will get it back soon fixed and ready for my northumberland trip.

Ive just had to send mine back to sigma.
A while back it stared making a strange noise, a bit like a whistling sound while trying to auto focus, this has progressed to throwing focus out of the window and totally freezing up out of focus, the only way to get back on track was to change to single point focus and 150mm.
Sigma received the lens yesterday and sent me a bill for £140 for new AF motor and circuit board even though its still covered by the free three year warranty.
This has now been resolved by emailing them a copy of the sales receipt to show where and when it was bought.
Hopefully i will get it back soon fixed and ready for my northumberland trip.

Hope you get it back in time.

Went for a walk along Blyth Port this morning. I took my 150-600 C on a D7200. no birds to be seen but I came across these. Not sure exactly what the names are. but im quite impressed with the lens on such small subjects.

View attachment 104562 View attachment 104563
Cool
The first is a six spot burnet moth.
The second is a common blue butterfly.

Last edited:
Today for the very first time Not one of my bird shots were in focus using this lens, don`t know whether it was down to the hot weather as you could see a haze, this shot is not too bad though. After the local airshow in August, I will be trading the lens in as it has got to the point when carrying it, it is painful on my shoulder.

IMG_0547-Edit-2.jpg

Today for the very first time Not one of my bird shots were in focus using this lens, don`t know whether it was down to the hot weather as you could see a haze, this shot is not too bad though. After the local airshow in August, I will be trading the lens in as it has got to the point when carrying it, it is painful on my shoulder.

i have to ask what do you think you will trade it in for ?

View attachment 104816

Coming to the same conclusion. For static birds and large BIF it is great, but for smaller BIF I get better shots with my Canon 300Lis. No doubt my technique could be better but after two days on Skomer I was disappointed with the the no of keeper puffins in flight.

i have to ask what do you think you will trade it in for ?

Hi Peter, in a couple of months I am getting a new fuji xt20 so the trade in might go towards a fuji lens.

Coming to the same conclusion. For static birds and large BIF it is great, but for smaller BIF I get better shots with my Canon 300Lis. No doubt my technique could be better but after two days on Skomer I was disappointed with the the no of keeper puffins in flight.

Don`t get me wrong, the lens is a cracker and I love it but the pain it is giving me is bad. I did get a Black headed gull in flight, it was the static birds that were ruined But I put that down to the Heat Haze.

I've noticed a lot of people are stopping down slightly to f/8? This baffles me for the type of shots a super tele is typically used for? I shoot this wide open as its plenty sharp!

I just got my second 150-600C after selling my other one when I got a 500f4. I am not selling the Canon but it is not really a walkabout lens and after 2 days of hand holding whilst shooting Hobby's my back started to complain. I know it is not macro but a 600mm lens hand held and manual focus it works ok.

Silver Studded Blue (Plebejus argus)
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Emerald Damselfly

Emperor Dragonfly

Keeled Skimmer

Cracking first kingfisher shot. Love the composition.

Regards carrying the lens, i certainly couldnt without my rapid sport strap. im a medium build 33 year old. The rapid is superb tho, takes all the weight off you.

I just got my second 150-600C after selling my other one when I got a 500f4. I am not selling the Canon but it is not really a walkabout lens and after 2 days of hand holding whilst shooting Hobby's my back started to complain. I know it is not macro but a 600mm lens hand held and manual focus it works ok.

Silver Studded Blue (Plebejus argus)

Emerald Damselfly

Emperor Dragonfly

Keeled Skimmer

How to you find the difference in IQ and AF speed between the two lenses?

Back