Simon Baxter/ Mark Littlejohn trees

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
I’m a huge Mark Littlejohn fan - from his satirical outlook to his locations and processing.

I’ve been looking for gnarled and grizzly trees for ages, I’ve tried Cod Beck Reservoir near Northallerton, the moors north of Rivaleaux Abbey and Isthmus Bay and Hodge Close quarry in the lakes but cannot for the life of my find
trees that have the type of character that Mark Littlejohn and Simon Baxter do.

I’ve tried getting booked onto Simon’s workshops but they sold out before I was able to get along. I really would like to spend more time shooting trees and woodland but I’m surprised at how difficult I’m finding it to get somewhere working.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Have you tried Macclesfield Forest near Surprise View as there are plenty of silver birch trees - a favourite of Nigel Danson

I’ve not looked around there, no - thanks for the suggestion.

You're getting warm near Rievaulx, I know some of Simon's locations but best not say as some he has access by special permission.
They aren't unique anyway, there's plenty of quiet wooded areas a lot are open access in the North Yorks forests.

You can just pretty much point the lens at the most messy bushes or any random branches and you will get as good shot as 95% of the little landscapes out there. The rest really needs to be worked and I'd suggest you may wish to wait for spring or better golden autumn, bar an incredible frosty morning

Mark and Simon are masters of trees... They clearly know their areas intimately and are able to make the most of them when conditions are favourable. Both enjoy photographing in mist and at this time of year falling snow, if you can be out in those conditions then it’s a case of finding standout trees or structures - you don’t need to visit the same locations as everyone else, woodland photography is more reliant on the conditions and your eye for picking out details. As Greg has suggested you should be able to book a one on one with Mark.

You can just pretty much point the lens at the most messy bushes or any random branches and you will get as good shot as 95% of the little landscapes out there. The rest really needs to be worked and I'd suggest you may wish to wait for spring or better golden autumn, bar an incredible frosty morning

ROFL.

I also offer 1-2-1s if you miss out on a group workshop, but I appreciate this is more costly compared to a group outing. Mark does 1-2-1s too - I've had a few clients that have also been on a workshop with Mark.

4wd - thank you for not divulging the location. As you say, there's plenty of spots dotted around offering just as much or even more.

Cheers :)

I also offer 1-2-1s if you miss out on a group workshop, but I appreciate this is more costly compared to a group outing. Mark does 1-2-1s too - I've had a few clients that have also been on a workshop with Mark.

4wd - thank you for not divulging the location. As you say, there's plenty of spots dotted around offering just as much or even more.

Cheers :)

Didn't know you did 1-2-1's as well Simon, I stand corrected. (y)

Back