Simon's 52 in 2023

I'm with you on the chosen shot. I works perfectly for the tech and is the more interesting for me.

Plenty of knobs there... and a good compostion.
Thanks Helen. A bit more thought and care in this shot than my usual efforts. Took me several attempts to get everything how wanted it and even put The camera on a mini tripod. Maybe I’m eventually learning!!!! :LOL:

Nice bit of musical knobbery Simon :)

Week 7 - Letter(s)

A small set this week all taken within 5 minutes walk of my house.

Three of these feature graffiti/artwork in the local park, and I've chosen the first of these as my submission this week. Whilst the letters are key (the container is adjacent to a splashpad) I feel its the most rounded of the shots, being the colourful and visually interesting of the selection (feel free to have an alternate view!).

DSCF0245 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Same park, the building adjacent to the first. More letters - some more decipherable than others!

DSCF0248 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

The other side of the park, this is I think the football changing rooms

DSCF0242 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Can't do letters without a postbox!

DSCF0240 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

And finally, some letters on the road. Converted to mono and contrast boosted to make the letters pop.

DSCF0250 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Nice set to choose from.

I always have a chuckle when I see the ARAF - SLOW thing. When my girls were very small I told them that an ARAF was small type of Giraffe but they couldn't move very fast. Kept them busy looking out for them:angelic: :angelic::angelic:

I like the first - the inclusion of the natural frame around it gives it context.

Nice set to choose from.

I always have a chuckle when I see the ARAF - SLOW thing. When my girls were very small I told them that an ARAF was small type of Giraffe but they couldn't move very fast. Kept them busy looking out for them:angelic: :angelic::angelic:
:LOL: Cheers Dave!

Any would do for the theme but I do like the first one
Thanks Allan!

I like the first - the inclusion of the natural frame around it gives it context.
Cheers Graham!

First one is my favourite. Nice colours and the framing is good (imo). We have a few like this over at a local park and the art is very good - far better than I could ever hope to achieve.
Thanks Adam! Me too! Useless with a paintbrush or spray can!

First one for me as well, lovely colours.
The ARAF/SLOW reminds me of the delivery driver looking for the RAF base on Anglesey, thought he was getting closer due to ARAF on the road:welcome::exit:

I always think that ARAF is the sound made when a Welsh dog barks.

First one for me as well, lovely colours.
The ARAF/SLOW reminds me of the delivery driver looking for the RAF base on Anglesey, thought he was getting closer due to ARAF on the road:welcome::exit:
:LOL:

I always think that ARAF is the sound made when a Welsh dog barks.
it could well be,

thanks both for dropping by

I'd certainly agree that the graffitti is more effective as the colours really pop. I rather like #2 but would probably crop in quite close to eradicate the background.

I'd certainly agree that the graffitti is more effective as the colours really pop. I rather like #2 but would probably crop in quite close to eradicate the background.
Thanks Helen! I fiddle with cropping the graffiti/art shots tightly, but then I felt they lost some context

I prefer your chosen more colourful image. It satnds out more than the others, but they all fit the theme well.

A great set Simon, I probably would have gone with #2 but that's just me.

What does "ARAF" mean on the roadway shot?

Week 8 - Kitchen

Apologies for this week's submission - almost later, poor quality, not quite in focus, poorly composed iPhone shot but grabbed as a last minute "what am I going to post?" whilst on holiday in Tenerife this last week. Only got back late last night, and frankly challenge photos have completely slipped my mind whilst I've been soaking up some winter warmth. It's the hotel buffet of course....

And also, apologies for lack of comments on others submissions for the same reason.

IMG_2961 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's Welsh; for "slow" Bill.

Kitchen's great, nice and clean with colour from the counter and the paella(?). Also looking the bowl with the shadow cast on the counter from it.

Thanks Graham! Also ta for giving @Darkslinger the nod for “Araf” - I missed that comment.

It's the hotel buffet

Certainly ticks the theme.

I thought for a minute that this was a shot of a proper works canteen - I miss those days of a subsidised works canteen, a hot meal with pudding for about 90p.

Certainly ticks the theme.

I thought for a minute that this was a shot of a proper works canteen - I miss those days of a subsidised works canteen, a hot meal with pudding for about 90p.
Thanks Paul. Just about all I could do this week!

Fits the bill and the person makes it more interesting. Hope you had a good holiday.

Back