Simon's 52 in 2023

Love the patterns on the Hellebore Simon. I really like the strong lines on the pier shot too.
Cheers Pete. The pier lends itself to decent shots with the lines and angles.
I've also realised (it's taken a long time) that I quite like taking shots of flowers. I'm going to have to invest in a macro lens at some point.

Week 12 - Tunnel

Ok, so for the first time in eons, I actually had, and executed a plan for this week's theme, and hopefully it came off (at least I didn't get run over). These are a couple of shots of what is known locally as "Hood Road tunnel", an underpass under a railway and embankment in Barry the town where I live. The Council installed some coloured lighting under there a year or two ago a) to give some better lighting for pedestrians, but b) so that they could add a bit of something different. The lights change all the time (as seen in these two shots taken a few seconds apart), but they also do theme lighting for things like Black History month or LGBT occasions. It's rather neat in an otherwise dull underpass.

I've chosen the second image purely on the basis I like the colours better.

Hood Road 1
DSCF0351 Hood Road 1 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Hood Road2
DSCF0355 Hood Road 2 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Excellent subject for the theme and really well captured, extra point for not getting run over.

A great couple of shots Simon, I think that you chosen the right one, for the right reasons.

Great tunnel, nice to see something different, can imagine when you saw what this weeks theme was "ohh I know":)

Great tunnel, nice to see something different, can imagine when you saw what this weeks theme was "ohh I know":)
Thanks Keith. Yes was a bit like that. Not too many other tunnels around here!

Nice one Simon.

Worth a mono maybe.

Nice one Simon.

Worth a mono maybe.
Cheers Dave.

Funnily enough I did think about a mono, and then quickly dismissed it as I thought the key was in the colour.

However......

Hood Road 2 Mono by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

You're quite right. I think this works nicely too. This is the one with the pinkish lighting. The blue coloured one glares out a bit in the centre - could probablyfiddle some more, but this one works out of the box so to speak.

Thanks for the suggestion (y)

The split colour one does it for me. Great viewpoint and perfect time of day to also get the yellow from the street lights at the end of the tunnel

The split colour one does it for me. Great viewpoint and perfect time of day to also get the yellow from the street lights at the end of the tunnel

Thanks Graham. Appreciate the comments (y)

Nice images, I also prefer the second as the colour variation works better for me.

Pattern - I love hellebores... shame they hang their heads so much. You've really picked out the detail the beautiful petals well
Tunnel - definitely the colour for me. I'm finding my head hanging slightly to one side but I think the road at the end slopes which is perhaps why??

Thanks Helen - yes, the tunnel one is tricky. I'm usually pretty obsessive about getting my shots horizontal, and this shot presents a number of challenges win that front.
The road is on a downslope into the tunnel.
There's a slight side to side on the road.
The road at the end of the tunnel coming R-L slopes down

I suppose I could (and perhaps should) have used the levelling line in the EVF, but I was conscious of cars approaching from behind so didn't want to stand there too long for fear of being run over!

Week 13 - Spring

Don't think I've ever been so quick off the mark, but the sun is shining and the spring flowers are looking fab.

Tulips - a fairly heavy crop to straighten, and get rid of distracting trees and various bits of house. I take a shot like this of these tulips every year . I just love the yellow/blue contrast.

DSCF0367 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Anenomes - I'd like to have cropped out the block of wood bottom left (immovable) but would have lost some of the flowers

DSCF0378 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Muscari

DSCF0375 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

PS - I didn't nick Pete's (@seaodyssey) idea honest - I was out taking these, and came back in and saw that he'd posted his shots of blossom and flowers against blue sky.
Great minds and all that....... :LOL:

Last edited:
Yes the yellow against the blue is very effective.
You've chosen the best shot IMO.

Lovely colours in the Tulips image with the bright yellow against the vivid blue sky. Like the low viewpoint too.
Cheers Stan. Getting down low was the only way I could take a shot and get only the blue sky in. Otherwise you’d have seen trees, bits of fence, corners of houses, and other unwanted paraphernalia. It worked out well though!

Reactions: rpn
Nice Spring flaaaarz - the daffs are the shot!

Cracking shot of the Tulips as has been said above, great low POV and clean clear colours. Just screams spring to me.

Good set of pictures and you picked the best for the theme. The tulips are not in flower around here yet.

Good set of pictures and you picked the best for the theme. The tulips are not in flower around here yet.
Thanks Keith - Mine are mostly out. Glorious when the sun's out!

You're right about the contrast and fabulous light and colour. When I first looked at it I thought it was a studio shot.

Beautiful tulips Simon, I always like these types of shots but it's way too early where I am for them.

Yes the tulips is the best picture, the contrasting colours and the tight crop is fantastic. Definitely on theme for spring.

Back