Smoke Art

Name
Philip
Edit My Images
Yes
I had been looking at things that I can photograph indoors as the weather isn't the best at the minute to be out there. I'm getting more into macro and close-up work and have started doing that a bit more recently.

The only reason I hadn't tried these type of images before is just that I hadn't been out to buy any incense sticks, so after seing them for £1 in a shop I decided to give it a go. I already had all the other equipment I needed for these shots.

I started off handheld, focusing on the top of the stick and re-composing the shot, then later on I used a tripod and locked focus and could fire off more shots.

I will definitely have another go at this sometime soon, as the images come out very different each time and the setup is relatively simple compared to some of the other things I shoot.

Smoke Art by philipJvernon, on Flickr

Those are stunning, I really must give this a go at some point and frankly if my first efforts come out this good I'm be over the moon, I love the rainbow/spectrum coloured ones the most (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Love these especially the last one, sothing else to have a go at.

Martin

Two questions:

What Kit is required?

How do you set this up?

Absolutley awesome shots, I'd love to give this a go!

Cheesy

Thanks everyone for your comments, the last one is my favorite aswell, think i might get a decent size print of it done. The problem I have is that I will probably do more and might like another one better after I order the print.

Two questions:

What Kit is required?

How do you set this up?

Absolutley awesome shots, I'd love to give this a go!

Cheesy

Photographically, the kit I used were camera with any lens. Off camera flash with something to trigger it, I used yongnuo wireless triggers. And a black background, I used a big 5-in-1 set with the black side.

The only other thing needed is an incense stick and something to hold it upright, I used blutack.

Here's the thread that I read before I set about trying these - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62030

Very good, I like the 3rd one best because I can see an old ladies face at the top, creepy!

Back