Sony RX100

Glenn. Just out of
Curiosity is this your sole camera?

Not my sole camera. I have an Olympus EM-1 and a variety of m4/3, 4/3 and Olympus OM Zuiko legacy lenses, as well as a Tokina 300mm f2.8. I had a Panasonic GM1 which I sold in favour of the original Sony RX100 I just sold, because I wanted something truly pocketable but with high quality. The RX 100 fits the bill perfectly.

Ok I couldn't resist any longer and my 'GAS' has got the better of me (yet again). I've been looking through this thread in amazement at the quality of the photos that are possible with this little powerhouse of a compact. So, with this in mind, I've just bought a month old mk1. It's a genuine uk one (from currys) and looks to be immaculate (fingers crossed).
Anyways, hope to be contributing to this thread very soon.

Andy

Does anyone shoot studio photography with their RX100 mk4? I'd like to replace my 5d3 with one of these (previously had the RX100 mk1) and was looking for real world feedback

The stills output isn't really any different. Certainly in a controlled environment such as a studio there would be no discernible difference but that shouldn't surprise anyone!

As good as it is though, I'd still want to use the 5d for studio work.

Last edited:
I really must get me one of these, fantastic little cameras.

Can't stretch to a M4, is there a big difference in quality between the M2 and M3 ?

I really must get me one of these, fantastic little cameras.

Can't stretch to a M4, is there a big difference in quality between the M2 and M3 ?
Nope, nor the m1 for that matter!

I think tests show the m2 a bit better than the M1 at high ISO but I can't see much difference TBH.

Always worth watching the sky, and the big advantage of having a small camera you can take with you all the time:

DSC00147_zpsnqqwskzm.jpg

DSC00170_zpscww6sz6b.jpg

Got hold of a Mk1 yesterday and am very impressed with it. Here's a quick snap I took in the garden whilst trying out the different shooting modes.
image.jpeg

Anyone pick up the IV and if so where from? I been looking at a few on eBay but some of the sellers are so confusing mentioning where it comes from.

How are you getting on with it @Glenn Surtees? After looking at my options for a small camera the IV seems to offer plenty in a small package. I want keep my investment in my Nikon D750 separate and use the Sony for weekends and evenings out and capture video of the family in an unobtrusive set-up. Reckon it up to the job?

How are you getting on with it @Glenn Surtees? After looking at my options for a small camera the IV seems to offer plenty in a small package. I want keep my investment in my Nikon D750 separate and use the Sony for weekends and evenings out and capture video of the family in an unobtrusive set-up. Reckon it up to the job?

As an owner of the mk1 until a few weeks ago I can say that both it and the iv are well up to the job of being a DSLR backup. The controls are a bit fiddly but I am used to the handling now and it doesn't pose a problem. I took the mk i on holiday last year instead of my Olympus OMD EM1 and was very pleased with the results.

The tilting screen is very useful and the viewfinder is excellent quality. I could probably have got by with the mk iii but I Just like having all the bells and whistles. I'm not terribly interested in video but the slow motion is spectacular. You would need an SDXC card of class 10 and U3 speed rating to take advantage of all the video capability and they are not cheap. I bought a 128gb card and it cost nearly £70.

You can take stills during shooting 4k video but I Haven't tried that yet.

Last edited:
Thanks @Glenn Surtees for your feedback on the M4. Interesting you mention you took the M1 over the Olympus OMD EM1. I had looked into the EM10/5/1 but then have to invest in a lot more gear. The M4 seems the perfect balance for a camera to capture everyday moments.

Thanks @Glenn Surtees for your feedback on the M4. Interesting you mention you took the M1 over the Olympus OMD EM1. I had looked into the EM10/5/1 but then have to invest in a lot more gear. The M4 seems the perfect balance for a camera to capture everyday moments.

No problem, here are a few from the Mki on last year's holiday:

Adonis2_zpskreuihqf.jpg

DSC05443_zpsc8hvchqp.jpg

DSC05521_zpst9v91adq.jpg

@Glenn Surtees that second shot is a cracker. Brilliant colours.

Can I please ask a favour? Can you do some quick tests for 1080p video? You don't have to post anything but just test how do it can focus on people? I was looking at a camcorder but the M4 for photo and video and smaller package seems more logical. I am just worried the M4 just hunts in auto focus mode. I just want to pick up the camera and hit shoot to capture the toddler doing something and want it to focus properly if there is movement in the scene? Could you please give any insight into the video auto focus. Thanks :)

Can I please ask a favour? Can you do some quick tests for 1080p video? You don't have to post anything but just test how do it can focus on people? I was looking at a camcorder but the M4 for photo and video and smaller package seems more logical. I am just worried the M4 just hunts in auto focus mode. I just want to pick up the camera and hit shoot to capture the toddler doing something and want it to focus properly if there is movement in the scene? Could you please give any insight into the video auto focus. Thanks :)

I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know

Video on the mk1 is some of the best I've seen from a non camcorder, great IQ with standard 1080p. I prefer it to my DSLR output. The mk4 I should imagine would be pretty stellar!

Last edited:
Thanks for you input @odd jim. I have had consumer camcorders in the past and not been happy with the quality except for the quick focusing and getting the action quickly. My D750 produces great footage but I do it all manually. I just want something for family time that can pass around to capture moments quickly and easily. The auto focus on the M4 is meant to be a step up.

Looking forward to your feedback @Glenn Surtees.

Well I had a go and found the focussing to be vey quick and accurate. You can see it focus but it is very fast and does not hunt once locked. I have experience of camcorders, from VHS up to mini DV and reckon it is better than any of those I have used. Hope this helps.

Wifey is off to New York in February so I might be after a mk1 or mk2 rx100 shortly. She only wants a small camera to slip in her bag and will probably only use it in auto mode ( I'm thinking about getting my hands on the camera afterwards :) )

Well I had a go and found the focussing to be vey quick and accurate. You can see it focus but it is very fast and does not hunt once locked. I have experience of camcorders, from VHS up to mini DV and reckon it is better than any of those I have used. Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing your experiences in video mode. Greatly appreciated. I got to have a quick play with one over the weekend in Selfridges, London. From my limited time I was impressed with the build quality and responsiveness of it. The EVF wasn't too bad and certainly usable. I was worried about it being too small but was usable and great to put in the pocket or jacket and be out and about for times don't want the D750. The tilt-able flash should come in handy also for when light isn't favourable.

There was no memory card and it was locked down so couldn't test the video mode but thanks for the information. The fact you say it doesn't hunt once locked sounds good as that would drive me insane when trying to edit the footage. It is mainly to capture the toddler saying something random or out and about with the grandparents so would want it to lock on the subject and not keep hunting. The fact you say is it better than camcorders makes me think it maybe better to invest just in the M4 rather than a camcorder and a M3.

Any further use experiences is always appreciated.

Back