Sony RX100

You are welcome. I've just bought an iPad Air 2, which allows editing and display of 4K video, I hope to get round to trying that out soon and I'll post impressions but video is not my priority, so don't hold your breath!

Glenn

I am a beginner but have a Mk2. I too have been to Paphos and took these last month on snapping, all walking distance from the castle. I am trying to get used to more manual as I gave up an SLR nearly 40 years ago as I couldn't be bothered carrying around a couple of breeze blocks for nothing. Have been on point an shoot only since then. I got the Mk2 18 months ago and like what it does but I need to understand manual options better. Any comments would be gratefully received as I am not very good on composition. All straight from camera as I cannot seem to understand Lightroom 5 so I guess I'll have to give that up for now.

Attachments

• DSC03341.JPG
    DSC03341.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03224.JPG
    DSC03224.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC03438.JPG
    DSC03438.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC03479.JPG
    DSC03479.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 30
I've gone back to an Olympus Stylus 1 as I prefer the 300mm equivalent reach, so my minty Mk3 is for sale in the classifieds if anyone is looking for one.

Tried the mk1 out in Currys today with mixed results. Sometimes, it would nail focus and everything was sharp and other times it missed. Admittedly, it wasn't ideal conditions and maybe Olympus ibis has spoilt me but I wasn't blown away.

Do things get better once the camera is properly set up ? I expected more TBH...

The conditions were probably not ideal. I tried the M4 last weekend and I found it was hard to test in-store. It will never match your Olympus but it is more about getting decent results in such a small package which is why I am looking at the M4 to compliment my D750 kit.

Tried the mk1 out in Currys today with mixed results. Sometimes, it would nail focus and everything was sharp and other times it missed. Admittedly, it wasn't ideal conditions and maybe Olympus ibis has spoilt me but I wasn't blown away.

Do things get better once the camera is properly set up ? I expected more TBH...
I find as good as the screen is on the RX100 it doesn't do the full image justice.

Can you use an off-camera with with the RX100 M3/M4 as it does not have a hot shoe? I have a Nikon SB-700 but doubt it compatible. Any particular flash I should research into? Hopefully pull the trigger on the M4 this coming week.

Not unless you can trigger your offcamera flash with the on-camera flash on the RX100 somehow. If you find a flash that can be triggered this way please report back!
Pretty much all flashes will fire on slave mode (optically) when triggered by any other flash, so this is easy to do with the RX100. My Canon, Nissin and Jessops flashes do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sid
A few shots from NZ shot with my mk1, still a work in progress as I've still got about 1,000 to view and process :) When I've finished I'll post a series in general photo sharing for those that are interested. All shot raw and processed in Lightroom;

217 by Jim, on Flickr

211 by Jim, on Flickr

210 by Jim, on Flickr

177 by Jim, on Flickr

122 by Jim, on Flickr

143 by Jim, on Flickr

60 by Jim, on Flickr

204 by Jim, on Flickr

Last edited:
A few shots from NZ shot with my mk1, still a work in progress as I've still got about 1,000 to view and process :) When I've finished I'll post a series in general photo sharing for those that are interested. All shot raw and processed in Lightroom;

217 by Jim, on Flickr

211 by Jim, on Flickr

210 by Jim, on Flickr

177 by Jim, on Flickr

122 by Jim, on Flickr

143 by Jim, on Flickr

60 by Jim, on Flickr

204 by Jim, on Flickr

Stunning images from a compact!

Picked up an RX100 mk1 for my parents. Having read through the thread here I was half expecting to have to buy a separate charger and thought that the RX100 could only be charged by USB with a computer. Obviously realised now that people are buying external battery chargers for extra batteries!

I have seen somewhere on the thread that a 64GB SD card is required for the video? Perhaps this is for the later version or something? Otherwise am I ok with a decent high speed 32GB card. I don't want my parents having too large a card, they'll fill it with video.

It's likely to be used in full auto, any essential tips for settings in the camera bearing in mind it's going to be a go anywhere point and shoot camera for them?

I did notice that there are 2 auto modes, one claiming to be more clever than the other. The cleverer one seem to be shooting multiple times and combining images or something. I imagine it has its uses but I'm thinking best to recommend my parents stick to the normal auto as a general rule. I'll no doubt have a play with it myself when I can anyway.

Thanks!

Picked up an RX100 mk1 for my parents. Having read through the thread here I was half expecting to have to buy a separate charger and thought that the RX100 could only be charged by USB with a computer. Obviously realised now that people are buying external battery chargers for extra batteries!

I have seen somewhere on the thread that a 64GB SD card is required for the video? Perhaps this is for the later version or something? Otherwise am I ok with a decent high speed 32GB card. I don't want my parents having too large a card, they'll fill it with video.

It's likely to be used in full auto, any essential tips for settings in the camera bearing in mind it's going to be a go anywhere point and shoot camera for them?

I did notice that there are 2 auto modes, one claiming to be more clever than the other. The cleverer one seem to be shooting multiple times and combining images or something. I imagine it has its uses but I'm thinking best to recommend my parents stick to the normal auto as a general rule. I'll no doubt have a play with it myself when I can anyway.

Thanks!
You do only get a USB lead in the box, no external charger. You do have to plug it in to charge it unless you buy one.

You don't need a 64gb card for video, any will do, you get loads on a 32gb card but obviously with anything, the more capacity the more you can fit in! I should imagine the reference to large cards would be for the mk4 which records 4k video which obviously eats data like no tomorrow!

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm pretty much sold on one of these but can't work out if I should just get a mk1 or a mk3.. I don't need the hot shoe of the mk2 and can't afford the 4. So is there much difference between 1 and 3? I know I'd gain a viewfinder but that doesn't worry me, is there IQ difference between 1 & 3? Thanks in advance

Mk2 onwards has a flippy screen which is always nice!

Ooo yer I want that! Ok then new questions, much difference in image quality between mk2&mk3? Also the hot shoe looks very annoying and in-the-way on such a small camera, is it?

Ooo yer I want that! Ok then new questions, much difference in image quality between mk2&mk3? Also the hot shoe looks very annoying and in-the-way on such a small camera, is it?
TBH on paper the mk3 is better but in reality theres nothing in it at all IMO.

Not sure, I bought the mk1 as I didn't see a need for it!

Thanks for all your input. So I won't notice any IQ differences between the 2 & 3?

Just got the mk3 version and very impressed with the results.(y)

And a closer crop.

these cameras look really sharp :) I am going to get one after xmas looking for a7 or a7r before lol god I have GAS lol

Any recommendations for a soft case that would take the RX100 with the Franiec grip fitted?

Back