Sony RX100

Picked up an RX100 recently for my wife and would like to pick up a spare battery for it before we head off to Brussels next month - any recommendations on a 3rd party make?

I have a MaximalPower one for my Fuji X100 and I see they do one for the RX100, though Amazon say 1-2 months delivery :(

Cheers all :)

Much the same as most compacts.

I have used it at two gigs recently - about 250 frames and some video - best buying a spare battery .....

PS but unlike the X100 the battery indicator is useful!

Much the same as most compacts.

I have used it at two gigs recently - about 250 frames and some video - best buying a spare battery .....

PS but unlike the X100 the battery indicator is useful!

Thanks, I don't find the battery indicator on my X100 too bad, but sounds like a spare battery is worth picking up (y)

I'm finding that the lcd screen seems a bit prone to scratches..anyone else think the same?

Sorry to hear that.
I put a matte screen protector on the day I got it.

got a genuine sony one on it now....i bought it second hand & it had a stick on protector on it & the screen looks fine until you see it in direct sunlight then a few minute scratches are visible

No problems with mine but I've now put on an Expert Shield protector - works very well ......

I found the body itself was a scratch magnet. I've sold it on recently, I just fancied a step up and got a Fuji X100s, otherwise I really liked the RX100. But it was riddled with small scratches on the body. I told the buyer this, and they came to inspect it, didn't seem to mind at all. they were [rightly] more concerned with how it performed. But I found myself almost apologising for the paint work on it, and how it scratched so easily. And I'm careful with my gear.

My first attempt at video
A short film of my grandson spur of the moment stuff
shot on a Sony RX100 in portrait setting at f/2 200iso... footage converted to Apple pro res with 5DtoRGB & edited in Final Cut pro X...this is my first attempt so please be gentle....compressed it a lot for vimeo as the original file is 1gb in size & much better quality....i love my RX100

vimeo.com/68616882

That looks great! Is that an in-camera function? I'm deliberating as to whether I want a rx100 or a samyang 35mm f/1.4 for my 600d... or rather which one I get first..

Anyone seen the information on the Mark 2, looks great.
I will definitly be selling mine and upgrading purely for the remote function.

I did think about upgrading but cannot see the need for the use I get out of it.

Sods law they announce a new one a month after I buy it :(

The mk2 looks to have the right improvements, but not enough for me to upgrade, the initial price is insanely high :s

In Mumbai for work at the moment, managed to get out for a wander this afternoon with my trusty travel companion....

DSC02450 by cmashworth, on Flickr

DSC02397 by cmashworth, on Flickr

DSC02437 by cmashworth, on Flickr

DSC02449 by cmashworth, on Flickr

All shot in RAW and pulled the hell out of the shadows as it was some incredibly difficult lighting conditions, some amazing dynamic range this little thing can capture.

great pics! what did you use to convert the files in order to post it in this forum?

Had a play with the RX100 II in a shop today and I'm absolutely sold!

The photos posted in this thread are testament to just how good this Sony compact can be. Definitely needs the grip but otherwise a very good build feel.

Features which sell it to me are:

- Tilt LCD (I already know that this will help with the subjects I shoot).
- Hotshoe which extends the options.
- Lens ring which can be used to either focus the zoom (in steps or free) or set aperture or shutter speed.
- Shoots RAW.
- Exactly same size as my FinePix F500EXR so it is truly a take anywhere 24/7 compact.
- Intuitive and very logical Menu.

The large 1 inch sensor plus Zeiss glass is what helps the IQ.

The whole package is such that I am not put off by the price.

I'll be getting this in addition to a Canon DSLR plus macro and telephoto L lenses, so I should get a decent 'bundle' discount. Sony compact will be on me all the time to grab all opportunities and Canon DSLR for photographic missions.

Right dumb question time...why cant I change aperture in macro mode and also the af point..seems to do its own thing?:thinking:

If your wanting to change settings don't use macro mode. Stick it in M or A and set your own settings. Macro Mode is an auto mode.
Then set AF in the menu to centre point.

If your wanting to change settings don't use macro mode. Stick it in M or A and set your own settings. Macro Mode is an auto mode.
Then set AF in the menu to centre point.

Thanks gents;) I thought you may be able to have a degree of control in macro setting but as you say Rob I just whacked it in manual mode much better!:D
Very impressed with it so far(y)

Looking at getting a filter kit at some point...which is the preferred one,lensmate or the mag filter?.Any pros or cons to both?
Love the illustration mode for a bit of fun as well!

untitled-00112 by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

Last edited:
My RX100 mark 2 had a couple of big dust spots on the sensor which only appeared after a couple of weeks. I have taken it back to the shop (LCE) and they have sent it to Sony to get sorted. One of the benefits of buying from and supporting your local camera shop.

Super little camera otherwise. IQ is excellent.

Yeah much less hassle than returning to hong kong..got mine from jessops.

Looking at getting a filter kit at some point...which is the preferred one,lensmate or the mag filter?.Any pros or cons to both?

Mine came with a 52mm Lensmate attached which I took off as I only use it as a point and shoot.
Has a spare sticky and the fitting jig. I can put it in the forsale section if you're interested...;)

Mine came with a 52mm Lensmate attached which I took off as I only use it as a point and shoot.
Has a spare sticky and the fitting jig. I can put it in the forsale section if you're interested...;)

could be very interested if price is right:cool:

Also another one here Robin, all RX100 stuff only > RX100

....Thanks! I have just registered. there seems to be more RX100 discussion there than here.

^^^^
Very, very nice, Stuart (y)

On the Illustration/Watercolour results, do you have to shoot with those modes already selected or can you add them after you have captured the image?

The black & white shot is great quality and I think always a good test of a camera.

I can't wait to get mine! I'm going for the EVF as well and have decided that the RX100 II will be my 'standard lens' so my DSLR will just have the Canon 100mm Macro and longer lens later. The Sony wil be on me 7/365 as my FinePix F500EXR compact has been.

^^^^
Very, very nice, Stuart (y)

On the Illustration/Watercolour results, do you have to shoot with those modes already selected or can you add them after you have captured the image?

The black & white shot is great quality and I think always a good test of a camera.

I can't wait to get mine! I'm going for the EVF as well and have decided that the RX100 II will be my 'standard lens' so my DSLR will just have the Canon 100mm Macro and longer lens later. The Sony wil be on me 7/365 as my FinePix F500EXR compact has been.
Hi many thanks..the illustration and water colour mode can be added after shooting so not nescessary to have it selected all the time.I just added it after in camera for a bit of fun.It saves the original and the edited version.The black and white shot was taken out of my car window as we passed a bus stop :D I also managed to get a few shots in the supermarket without anyone looking I just held it at waist height and fired a few shots off,had it on silent mode and works a treat..

Also got this lowepro leather case for it today which fits perfect and a bargain at £6!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Nap...=1382624551&sr=8-1&keywords=lowepro+napoli+30

....Perfect! I have a similar pouch case by Fuji for my FinePix F500EXR compact (exactly same size camera body as the RX100 without hotshoe) and the magnetic flap is excellent because it allows very fast access.

Would you please do me a favour and post the internal dimensions (mm preferred) so I can work out if the RX100 II will fit when the EVF is attached, please? :)

Back