weekly Southdowns' 52/2012 - Week 52 - Busy SP Posted. Thank You, and Goodnight :)

ooooo.... very Edgar Allen Poe! Suits the theme well and the oof elements adds to the nightmarish element.

Good stuff so far

Thanks Simon, that's the look I was going for, and for once I can genuinely say the oof effect was deliberate! In fact I'd hoped to get a little more motion blur, but although I had a cable release to actually fire the camera, getting in and out of the box to change settings and check results was a bit of a non-starter!

I do have some shots in perfect focus, but they just don't work in this context; they look as if I'm enjoying the experience, which I most definitely wasn't!

Mark

I like the 1st bedroom shot as the pigtails and teddy stand out more, and it reminds me of an alien/UFO movie - like close encounters or time bandits.

Ooh that is def Fear for me!!

Well done and the black and white suits it!!

Cheers Sarah :) I tried all sorts of other treatments, and this one deffinately worked the best.

I like the 1st bedroom shot as the pigtails and teddy stand out more, and it reminds me of an alien/UFO movie - like close encounters or time bandits.

Thanks Summer. I actually prefer the second one, but do wish I could get the shadows to stand out more like the first one. Trouble is, I can't find a Lightroom treatment to get the best of both :(

My worst nightmare. I seriously did NOT need to feign fear to make this one. Hope you "like" it! I also have a colour version, in which you can see blood, but despite that it doesn't work as well as this one does. It's on Flickr though if you want to take a look :)

Holy crap, that's one super fear. Reminds me of a film I saw as a kid...gave me nightmares for ages. Superb film.

Mr Poe indeed...Linky

Cheers and nice one for getting two posted (y)

The second wardrobe image with the green tint works better for me, as mentioned above, its like a night vision kinda light. The shadows work well too, really conveys the theme.
I like your confined space photograph too, that really does say fear, very imaginative and well executed (no pun intended :D). Iain

Holy crap, that's one super fear. Reminds me of a film I saw as a kid...gave me nightmares for ages. Superb film.

Mr Poe indeed...Linky

Cheers and nice one for getting two posted (y)

The second wardrobe image with the green tint works better for me, as mentioned above, its like a night vision kinda light. The shadows work well too, really conveys the theme.
I like your confined space photograph too, that really does say fear, very imaginative and well executed (no pun intended :D). Iain

Forgive the pun but this latest one screams fear. Well executed.

Thanks for those comments! I can now tell my friends I've actually been compared with Edgar Allen Poe; should earn me at least a bag of peanuts!

HI Mark

Nice take on Fear....the 2nd wardrobe image you posted def hits the spot for me...like the shadow of the bear & little girl....well thought out :clap:

As for the stuck in a coffin type shot....def conveys the theme...mono suits it well....another top shot mister :clap:

Wow, sigh was tough; someone please tell me that's as bad as it gets?!

Anyway, I wanted to capture "the sigh of the sea"; the sound the sea makes as it rises and falls on the shore, especially on a shingle beach. I think I've almost got it?

Not 100% sure about the vignette, but it works better when viewed larger, and I think it just lifts it a little; any thoughts?

Sigh of the Sea.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
yep, it works for me, because you can see that the wave is rolling back out from the shore, which is (for me) when the sea sighs :clap:

direction, i like the last one best with the arrow going the wrong way in mono.

fear the wardrobe green one, the shadow of the girl works well

sigh, clean, sharp and well composed, like it

Hi mark
you really have got to grips with your 52 early with authentic ideas and some great shots :clap:

Hi Mark, managed to get mine up for week 3 so time to catch up :)

FEAR - Thought I had commented on this one, for me it's got to be the night vision effect photo, really like the PP on that one. Got to be honest I like the idea of the trapped in a box photo but I'm not really a fan of the processing. But like I say the idea is original and certainly well thought out.

Really like the sharpness you captured as well, excellent stuff :)

Sigh - Now that is clever thinking, I went for a walk down the beach yesterday to clear my head and never even thought of that. I really like the crop and the DOF used

Mark, I like your thinking on sigh.
The photograph works well with the theme, I particularly like the movement in there. The waves create an almost layered effect with the shingle beach, it gives depth to the image which in turn makes me almost able to 'hear' the sigh. I don't mind the vignette at all, it works with the scene. Good work (y). Iain

Mark
Looked at this for a few mins and the more I look the more I like it, love the way you have captured the 3 waves forming, crashing, and rolling out well done

Wow, sigh was tough; someone please tell me that's as bad as it gets?!

I would, but I'd be lying. Wait until you get to week 30ish...you'll be going a bit :puke: but, more importantly a lot :D that you're still here. Don't forget, it ain't supposed to be easy...(y)

'Sigh if the sea', not heard that expression before. I think this is the first minimal take on this theme so well done for that. Nice muted colours, nice freezing of the waves and nice bokeh at the bottom.

Personally, I'd like to see it face on, that is looking directly out to sea.

First thing that sprang to mind was this photogrtaph linky that sold for millions recently.

Cheers and keep going (y)

Thanks everyone, glad I'm at least a little on track!

Andy; sold to the man at the back, for ONLY £1.5m ;)

Actually I didn't think face on worked as well because you don't get the feeling of the water rolling back down the shingle the same, though a more side on angle didn't work as well either (you get less depth out to sea). Without the theme, face on might have made a nice image though.

I've been out the last 2 evenings, and am again tonight, but I'll try to get around everyone who's posted a week 3 idea tomorrow though, to offer some C&C, if I haven't already.

Last edited:
Another great picture for 'SIGH'. Well done (y)

Direction : Of them all (lots to choose :D, aren't you sposed to do that :LOL:)... I prefer the shot of the sign pointing to St Marys... very nice, good feel and mono suits

Fear : I think the second, your personal nightmare is a better image and portrays fear better... there's just not enough for me in the first to provide it.

Sigh : Nice use of DOF, the details in the waves look good.. I can almost hear it... so it works for me.

Thanks Ben and Steve :)

John, thanks for that.

Direction I'm told it's OK to post several so long as only one ends up in the Flickr group! I did get a bit carried away; I just couldn't stop spotting things that might work! In one sense I'm a bit disappointed that most people seem to like the church sign most, only because I personally think it's a bit too "conventional"! Then again, conventions exist for a reason I guess!

Fear I agree. I'm afraid I ran out of facilities, time, and patience from my daughter, to do better, but at least I know what I'd do differently next time, which is the whole idea I guess!

Sigh I'm over the moon that you can almost hear it; that's exactly what I was aiming for, but I was worried that it was a bit too cryptic! You (and others), have made my day!!!

Mark

Last edited:
I like #2 of the fear of the dark. Very good effect and really brings it home strong.

The trapped one is also very good take on the theme.

The sigh of the sea makes for a very nice relaxing picture. I like the sand/pebbles at the front of the picture and the DOF of the whole shot.

Just think another theme tomorrow!!!

Thanks DK and Alex :)

Last edited:
Hi Mark, now I've been rightly chastised I've found your posts :).

Direction, love the light trails pics. Fear I prefer the 2nd version of this, excellent shot. Sigh is a wonderful shot, excellent exposure. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your work.

Thanks Simon! In view of those comments, I've decided to forgive you ;)

Hi Mark, I thought I'd left feedback here already but it seems not! :bonk:

Direction - So many to choose from (and all of them on theme)! Your enthusiasm is admirable. :) My favourite of the lot is the Wrong Direction 3 mono. Follow My Direction looks a little underexposed?

Fear - Again, more than one really good idea. I love Fear of the Dark, the red version for me is better because of the shadows. Buried Alive - I think most of us can relate to this particular fear. I would have been in a state of panic trying to get that shot! You are putting a lot of effort into this challenge.

Sigh - An original take. I like it. (y)

Sigh, really nice shot, great DOF. Captures sigh brilliantly:)

Hi Mark
Some great images.
I like your sigh very much, but would perhaps have chosen a different on for direction. My favourites are "Wrong direction 2" and "Well trodden direction".
If only "Buried Alive" had parts of the image that were sharp it would be a killer. But obviously I realise it was a very technically demanding shot.
Cheers
Mike

Thanks all :)

Nathalie, yes that one is underexposed on the plane and glider: lots of bright sky, not much time (they don't sit and wait!), long lens, little experience, all against me! I did increase the exposure in Lightroom, but if I went much further it started to look unreal.

Mike, you're the first to say you like "Well Trod" best! I like it but it's a bit soft. "Wrong Direction 2" has become my favourite on reflection.

"Buried Alive" I really did have oof deliberately (yes, I know "I meant to do that" never sounds believable ;)). I have sharper ones, but they just don't have the same feel to me. That said, I can see it's definitely a Marmite shot :)

Back