Spartacus my 52...Week 26 Night...Sorry I’m late...:(

This gets 10/10 from me and I can (get it) quite easily imagine this shot being used as a advertisement.

I really like the selective colour thing and really must make time to try it out myself!!

excellent :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great idea and the can really does POP! Very nicely done that man.

Marcus...good stuff!

Poverty: Great, great presentation :) A slice of history really well done :)

Up: D'oh why didn't I think of that :) Nice composition and great selective colouring! No self beating needed :)

Very good indeed! (y)

Well here we go again with this weeks interpretation...:LOL:

Tried a few idea's but seems I always end up with something from my earlier shots...:cautious:

I wanted to get away from the paper letter theme and try something a little different...mybe a bit to different in the end...:thinking:

noughtsPDS_edited-13.jpg

Thing I've learnt this week

1. I find thinking outside the box much harder as we go through the weeks...:LOL:

2. If your going to photograph a car badge, make sure you clean it first or you will spent 30 minutes cloning out all the dirty marks...:razz:

3. Check with the owner before you take photo's of their pride and joy, they don't understand it when a artist is at work...:D

Excellent interpretation (y) and a well taken image. Nicely out of the box too.

As for learning points 2 & 3... that sounds like the voice of experience... What did you tell the owner in the end ?

2. If your going to photograph a car badge, make sure you clean it first or you will spent 30 minutes cloning out all the dirty marks...:razz:

3. Check with the owner before you take photo's of their pride and joy, they don't understand it when a artist is at work...:D

Hehehehe - I can just imagine the conversation as you cleaned a stranger's car badge :LOL:

Like the shot - nice and clean (no pun intended - honestly :)) and I would definitely award it 'out-of-the-box' status. (y)(y)

Jean

Excellent interpretation (y) and a well taken image. Nicely out of the box too.

As for learning points 2 & 3... that sounds like the voice of experience... What did you tell the owner in the end ?

You really had to be there....:LOL:

I can only guess that last weeks effort was a bit rubbish...
only got 3 replies:thinking:

I'm not exspecting many more with this week shot either...:puke:

This has turned out to be another hard subject to product something I'm happy with...:(

So this was all I could come up with in end...:LOL:

TammarandBrunellBridgesboarder2.jpg

It's the Duo bridges to get in to Cornwall from Devon...
Brunel's design for the Royal Albert Bridge, Saltash, consists of two wrought iron trusses each spanning 465 feet and weighing 1,000 tons with a clear headway for river traffic of 100 feet. The underwater portion of the central pier is a cylinder, 35 feet in diameter, and the base is 80 feet below high water. It was opened by the Prince Consort in 1859 shortly before Brunel's death and it still carries all the rail traffic to Penzance.

The Tamar Bridge is a major road bridge at Saltash in southwest England carrying traffic between Cornwall and Devon. When it opened in 1961 it was the longest suspension bridge in the United Kingdom. In 2001 it became the world's first suspension bridge to be widened (from three to five lanes) using cantilevers, and the world's first bridge to undergo strengthening and widening work while remaining open to traffic. The five lanes are divided as follows: three lanes carry the A38 trunk road, the fourth is reserved for eastbound local traffic and the fifth for pedestrians and cyclists. Previously all traffic merged and shared the three lanes.

Construction of the Tamar Bridge began in July 1959. Before this, the lowest road crossing of the River Tamar was Gunnislake New Bridge at the village of Gunnislake. This seven-arched granite bridge was built in the early 16th century (c. 1520). It is still in use today but it is only wide enough to carry one lane of traffic. Before the Tamar Bridge was opened, most car drivers wishing to travel between Saltash (on the Cornish side) and the Devon city of Plymouth used car ferries. Today the Tamar Bridge carries approximately 40 000 vehicles every day. It is co-owned by Plymouth City Council and Cornwall County Council, and is managed by the Tamar Bridge and Torpoint Ferry Joint Committee. A toll of GBP1.00 per car is charged when driving from Cornwall into Devon, although the price is halved using the electronic payment system. Motorcycles do not have to pay.

The Tamar Bridge is located above the Hamoaze, and runs parallel to Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Royal Albert Bridge (sometimes referred to as the Brunel Bridge) which opened in 1859 and is considered to be one of his greatest railway achievements. Both bridges offer wonderful views of the Tamar Valley and Tamar Estuary. The Tamar, Lynher and Tavy Valleys form one of England's thirty-seven Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Things I've Learnt this Week

1. I didn't like this subject much...:nono:
2. Enjoyed taking the camera out for a walk...:LOL:
3. Sunny days won't make your photo's look any better when you get home...:razz:

imho, that's an impressive shot. :clap::clap:

Where were you standing to take it - in the river? It's a great pov, and the bridges are both incredible feats of engineering. It makes me think how inaccessible Cornwall used to be.

I enjoyed reading the story behind them, and the explanation of the lane allocation reminded me of a sign which used to be on the original Menai suspension bridge in North Wales "no overtaking except bicycles by bicycles" :D

A brilliant take on the Duo theme. (y)

Jean

Letter (still catching up): I like mucho! Simple and effective! Crystal clear and sharp! Lovely!

DuO: very varied interpretations this week and this is no exception! Loverly! Could do with a tiny straighten as Ruth says but an impressive piece of architecture from a great viewpoint nonetheless! (y)

I agree with you as well - tricky subject this week!

Great idea mate, shore line could use a little tweak to straighten it but other than that its a fine image that fits the theme well.

Apologies Spartacus, with having an essay, my replies are hit and miss and sometimes I do miss people.

Letter. This is a great shot, the silver letters are crystal clear (something I am struggling with at the mo) and the background is brilliant white giving an overal crisp finish :clap: :clap:

Duo. Another excellent shot, beautifully clear and great colours. I tried to see if it was wonky, but if you straighten one bit it seems as though another bit would be. I had a similar problem with a pic of mine recently. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I really like that, the bridges fit the theme nicely, and the point of view is superb. It took me a moment or three to work out where the left hand bridge ended up though :LOL:

I always manage to miss someone's entry, each week when someone is posting an entry I suddenly think to myself 'not seen that name before' and for some reason miss over the threads completely - sorry.

Really liked your shot last week, and this week's was spot on the theme and you can't ask for more!
I also like the perspective you've taken on this shot/the bridges (y)

Thanks for the nice replies, but I'm not happy with my effort this week...:(

It's such a great location and I've not done it justice...I only live just over a mile from here so It should have been much better...:razz:

Has for it needing a straighten:bonk:...it's wonky...(must learn to stand on both legs when taking photo's...:LOL:)

Hi Marcus, I'm back :D

I love your take on the letter theme, clear and sharp and if you pronounce them altogether you get the Spanish sound for U, so two letters for the price of one :naughty::clap:

As for Duo, you are being hard on yourself again. It's not your best shot but it's one I'd be happy with (and if you got down there with your camera more often ......)

And I totally agree with learning point 3 :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I really like this one. Very nice indeed. I bet you could have some fun getting some mono shots round there...

Well this has turned out to be a great subject to get your teeth in to...:D

You could have anything from beer to food...:naughty:

In the end I ended up with a hobby that you really do get a longing for a little nibble...:LOL:

singleshotfishing1.jpg

Things I've learnt this week...

1. Don't be shy to ask a total stranger if they would mine having their photograph taken...:nono:

2. Some people more friendlier than they look...:LOL:

3. I'm back having fun with my camera again...:woot:

ooh I like this one - and well done you for asking a stranger to pose... I know I'd chicken out!

I think the composition is good - the only thing I would do differently is bring the man over slightly to the right (so he is more on the third) to make him more prominant. As it is the chain fence is sort of leading my eye past him into the background rather than to him.

Like the B&W treatment too - well done :clap:

Very nice shot, well processed (mono works well) and good for the theme too. Much braver than I.

Thats a good 'un Marcus, nicely composed and shot! And good on you for asking the guy :)

Mono does suit this one - has a more photojournalistic feel :)

ooh I like this one - and well done you for asking a stranger to pose... I know I'd chicken out!

I think the composition is good - the only thing I would do differently is bring the man over slightly to the right (so he is more on the third) to make him more prominant. I agree but a small confession...I managed to take it slightly wonky and after last weeks effort I couldn't let that happen again...:LOL: so straightened it and lost the chance to move him forward anymore.As it is the chain fence is sort of leading my eye past him into the background rather than to him.

Like the B&W treatment too - well done :clap:

Thank you...

That was the first thought that jumped into my head, great interpretation of the theme.

I might have tried to throw the background out of focus(Same again I agree but it was fully open at F4.0 and it's not enough to throw it out of focus)

but other than that, very good.

Thank you...

This is a good shot! (y)
I agree with John, it suits mono too! I can't imagine this shot in colour.

Thank you

Very nice shot, well processed (mono works well) and good for the theme too. Much braver than I.

Many thanks...but to be honest the worst he could say was no...or throw me in the sea...:LOL:

Thats a good 'un Marcus, nicely composed and shot! And good on you for asking the guy :)

Mono does suit this one - has a more photojournalistic feel :)

Thank you John and thank you everyone who leave good/bad opions about my 52s it is truly the only way to to see if your improving over the weeks... and after all that's something we all want in the end...(y)

Yep I like this it just works, which is good. Glad to hear you're enjoying getting out with the camera again.

Mark

Congratulations on this! It's very photo-journalist in mood, the mono treatment's perfect for it and your 'model' does indeed have a look of 'longing' for a catch.

It's great to hear you're out and having fun with your camera again - and taking a terrific leap out of your comfort zone to ask a complete stranger!

Excellent stuff. (y)(y)

Jean

Congratulations on this! It's very photo-journalist in mood, the mono treatment's perfect for it and your 'model' does indeed have a look of 'longing' for a catch.

It's great to hear you're out and having fun with your camera again - and taking a terrific leap out of your comfort zone to ask a complete stranger!

Excellent stuff. (y)(y)

Jean

Perfectly said, well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:

This one has reeled me in :LOL: so meets the theme well.

The monoconversion is perfect for this and once you get over the fear (as you have) you find most people are really happy to comply. As has already been said, very photojournalistic, although I agree the fisherman would have been better placed a litlle more to the right but asking that as well was probably a step too far :LOL: (sorry, just getting in a few puns of my own :D) :clap::clap:

Well for me the reshoot was an obvious choice after the poor effort at the Duo on week 15.

I hope I’ve managed to get over the beauty of this location. We had a celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the opening of the Royal Albert Bridge this weekend so it all the more special.

reshoot001tammarbridge2.jpg

Dark

latestshootstoday0420003.jpg

Again thought I had plenty of time with this easy subject....:(

Didn’t allow for taking the other half away till Sunday...:eek:

So this miserable shot is all I could come up with...yes I know, rubbish but it fits the theme (sort of) The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (yes there is a vinyl record in the sleeve) and of course Darth Vader and that definitely the Dark Side...:LOL:

Things I’ve learnt this week

1.Stop leaving it till the last minute to get your main theme sorted out...:nono:

2.It’s great having a re-shoot so you get another bite of the cherry...:clap:

3.Just because it’s a Bank Holiday, don’t think you got all the time in the world...:thumbsdown:

Your reshoot is superb, You have really taken the crit on board and knocked this out of the park, very, very well done.

Your Dark image is fine, a slightly more dramatic pose for Darth may have been good, works well as it is though.

Did I mention I liked your reshoot?:eek:(y)

I liked the original of duo, but this is just so far and away streaks ahead of it, superb.

I really like Dark... I recognised it all straight away and if fits the theme really well (I had all those Star Wars toys, wish I knew what had happened to them :D)

I too liked your Duo shot the first time, but this reshoot is soooo much better. The clouds are good the level at which your standing is good and the grass/plants add some interest in the foreground. I didn't notice the first time, but both bridges have duo's in that the posts/supports are in two also.
Great shot :clap: :clap:

Dark is also a good shot. The lighting on the figure is spot on, giving just enough light to give detail, but not too much to be light. The background isn't quite doing it for me, although I'm not sure why! (sorry that probably isn't very helpful)

well done though for two good shots. :clap::clap:

I think you've nailed both themes this week. :clap::clap:

Jon

Back