Spring by the River

I`m a waiting Mister Ven.......................:LOL:

Incidentally, I came across this poor unfortunate little creature on my dog walk this evening... :eek: ...I think it is a young Weasel and clearly a bit the worse for wear and just wondered if you might have a clue about its fate... :shrug:

Weasel2.jpg

I will, needless to say, take this down if you or anyone finds it offensive or would rather it was not included... :shrug:

Thanks Ade... ;)

:p

No problem Rog, this thread is about real world nature.

Not sure what could have nailed that, one of its own or a similar type animal.........:shrug:

Maybe it has been neck shot, don`t know, sorry fella.

No problem Rog, this thread is about real world nature.
Not sure what could have nailed that, one of its own or a similar type animal.........:shrug:
Maybe it has been neck shot, don`t know, sorry fella.

No worries Ade... ;) ...just curious but it was tiny... :shrug: ...not much longer than my iPhone if you exclude the little tail... :cautious: ...and seemed to be in pretty good nick save for the damage.

My guess was some sort of bite but I guess we can only guess... :D

Thanx for taking time out to look anyway... (y)

Weasels and stoats,
They are stoat-ally different
weaselly ID'ed by their size and colour :coat:

(Your correct BTW)
as Ade said, they are not really a "food item" on anyones "shopping list"
It may have been a territorial dispute with a stoat, or even a Mink.
or maybe a "shot"
Which is a bit naughty as they are a protected species.

the owl shot is outstanding Ade (y)

I think they were sulking today because they have not been fed for a week. I just sat and watched the birds today to be honest,I did grab this nutty shot though.

nuthatch10.jpg

The nearby estates are shooting either now or within the week. The hunt are running through on Saturday,so there could be some changes.Hopefully once the hunt have been and gone, wildlife from the other estates will drift over......(y)

salmon1.jpg

you didnt focus on the eye Ade :LOL: :exit:

I was chuffed that I got one fish in focus,never mind the bloody eye.....:D

Good day today Andy............(y)

its a cracker for sure, will post one of mine if theres any in focus.

Enjoyed it today Ade :)

That's different Ade... (y) ...very nicely timed and captured m8... :clap:

It must be a Salmon wannabe leaping like that though... :naughty:

That's different Ade... (y) ...very nicely timed and captured m8... :clap:

It must be a Salmon wannabe leaping like that though... :naughty:

Rog, believe me, photographing these involves a fair chunk of luck...........:LOL:

Andy, as promised.

This is a part of the herd of Sika we had at the start of the year, let`s see how many are left after duty dikhead has finisihed with them......:bat:

sikaherd.jpg

One for Charlie. There are four of these scattered around in various woods,all geared up for timber removal,wether any of them work is a different story though...........:D

tract1.jpg

:LOL: ...that one looks like it has had a nature's spray paint jobby Ade... :shrug:

It's all Green... :love:

Now you've got to show us the others of course... ;)

Cheers Ade :)

Proper Deer they are, and you managed to post a shot with more than one in :naughty:

Cheers Ade :)

Proper Deer they are, and you managed to post a shot with more than one in :naughty:

Well they are herd animals for some of the year, the stags tend to begger off on thier own come spring,in groups of about 6 or 7, the hinds form larger groups until they calve,then they are a bit more solitary.........:LOL:

:LOL: ...that one looks like it has had a nature's spray paint jobby Ade... :shrug:

It's all Green... :love:

Now you've got to show us the others of course... ;)

Bugger, give me some time.........(y)

The myxy is about now, have not seen it in this area for a while now.

myxy1.jpg

It is pretty unpleasant mate, I tend to put them OOTM and feed the carcass to the buzzards.

However, from Wiki:

"The development of resistance to the disease seems to have taken different courses. In Australia, the virus initially killed rabbits very quickly, about 4 days after infection. This gave little time for the infection to spread. However, a less virulent form of the virus has become prevalent there, spreading more effectively by being less lethal. In Europe, rabbits that are genetically resistant to the original virus that was spread. The survival rate of diseased rabbits has now increased to 35% when in the 1950s it was zero."

..... The survival rate of diseased rabbits has now increased to 35% when in the 1950s it was zero."

BUT that assumes that my pointer doesn't get them first :D

There has been quite a lot of Myxy around here this past summer,
but then its been pretty good " parasite weather" with the heat and the
occasional rain, keeping the humidity in just the right balance.

The other thing that has helped to decrease it over the years, Remember
years ago when rabbit warrens were several feet deep and very intricate, Ade?

And now there is a very large percentage living above ground,
and not "packed" into such large colonies, making the disease less "viable"
and transmittable.
Its here to stay, though, I am sure :(

Crap shot, but thought i`d stick it up anyway.

buzz1-1.jpg

These two were in fight mode.

FightingCocks1.jpg

Unfortunately,even at 1600 ISO, I didn`t have enough shutter speed to capture the ariel fighting.

FightingCocks2.jpg

One for Charlie. There are four of these scattered around in various woods,all geared up for timber removal,wether any of them work is a different story though...........:D

tract1.jpg

Now you tell me!
Ooh that shot brings back some memories.Knocked myself out once with one of those:LOL:

The myxy is about now, have not seen it in this area for a while now.
It was artificially introduced originally and some keepers keep putting it down, clearly caring nothing for the suffering of the rabbits.

Like anything else, rabbits have a purpose, and when they disappear the foxes starve and need to earn a living in other ways. I admire and hate foxes in equal measure; at the moment my hatred is intense, because one of them got into our hen compound last night. The dog has a special alarm bark which normally gets someone with a shotgun, loading as he runs - but unfortunately the job fell to my youngest son, tired from 12 hours on a tractor, and he moved too slowly. 1 1/2 hens eaten, all of the other 61 killed, and the fox got away.

........... I admire and hate foxes in equal measure; at the moment my hatred is intense, because one of them got into our hen compound last night. The dog has a special alarm bark which normally gets someone with a shotgun, loading as he runs - but unfortunately the job fell to my youngest son, tired from 12 hours on a tractor, and he moved too slowly. 1 1/2 hens eaten, all of the other 61 killed, and the fox got away.

Thats really bad luck Gary!
'twouldn't be so bad ( and they wouldn't be hated so much)
if they only killed one or two to eat and not go on a frenzied rampage at the same time.

Loads of superb shots in here, looking forward to keeping an eye on future posts

wow...what an amazing and inspiring thread :D

It really has encouraged me to get out into a local forest and see what I can find. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of equiptment do you use to capture such lovely shots of nature?

Woodies are nesting as well. Difficult day as the sky was pure white mostly and I struggled getting the exposure right.

GSW501.jpg

GSW503.jpg

This old silver birch has been blown down recently,the woodies will have to find somewhere else to nest next year.

Back