Spring by the River

Bump for a great thread :) keep the updates/pics coming mate (y)

Been away for a while,but I shall be back there next week,hopefully something worth posting will be about.....(y)

Been busy doing other stuff recently so have not spent as much time as I would have liked on the new place,and I need to spend time on there to learn where stuff is.

Anyway,I found this and will stay the hell away from it.

pic2.jpg

I have seen a few Sparrowhaks,I reckon one nailed this.

Pic1.jpg

I did post these in another thread,but I reckon they should be in here as well.

DF2.jpg

I should have more time free soon,so shall update as and when I can.

Thanks for looking.

Nice set as always Ade
That wasps nest looks "quite advanced"
With all this warm weather I'm not surprised though TBH (y)

It is in a hole on the floor of the woods Chris, I have never seen one on the floor before.......:shrug:

It is in a hole on the floor of the woods Chris, I have never seen one on the floor before.......:shrug:

They will build anywhere they get the chance, mate.
I guess I see about 25% in holes in the ground over a course
of a season.

The owner has given me free range with two of the woods to get wildlife in and keep it in.All the estates around are shooting estates,this could become a real peaceful place for wildlife to stick around in,lets see how it goes.....:)

Visitor to my newly set up feeding station,located in a clearing in the middle of the woods with a hide permanantly set up.I beginning to like hide work,saves me from getting pee wet through....:D.....not entirely happy with the set up,but tweaking it as I go along.I have earmarked a place to feed the deer over winter and the buzzards are regular visitors now,perhaps it has something to do with them not being shot!

jay1-1.jpg

Just found your thread and read the whole lot to catch up. Excellent diary of your day to day wanderings. Fantastic quality of shots and very interesting reading too. Thanks for sharing.

The feeding is paying dividends,some aholes shoot and poison them,we feed and look after them........(y)

So annoyed that this one, especially, turned out pants......:bang:

buzz1.jpg

buzz2.jpg

buzz3.jpg

Hopefully get some better images soon.

I have watched these nest,have young,feed them,fledge and hang around.They are really used to me being about now and don`t bother about my prescence,they really like this old dead silver birch tree as well.........:)

gsw1-1.jpg

Friendly,well sort of,jay,with the woodpecker behind it,these two don`t get on,but the woody usually makes the jay leave......:LOL:

jay1-2.jpg

And i`m not 100% sure what sort this is or if it is a juvenile one,any help?

tit1-2.jpg

Last edited:
Some utterly lovely shots Ade :clap: You seem to be fine tuning your technique the longer you are at it to :D

That last couple of posts (above this one) prove it IMO. All lovely shots, especially the GSW! I am pretty sure the last one is a Coal tit btw (y)

I shall try to keep it up to date,this new place is like a blessing to be honest,the owner is a good fella.

Some utterly lovely shots Ade :clap: You seem to be fine tuning your technique the longer you are at it to :D

That last couple of posts (above this one) prove it IMO. All lovely shots, especially the GSW! I am pretty sure the last one is a Coal tit btw (y)

Yay,I got a coal tit...............:D

I wasn`t sure,thought it may have been a juvenile Great Tit,thanks Jo.........(y)

Great set again Ade
love the 1st buzzard and jay shots (y)

Impressed I am - you've come on in leaps and bounds Frac. (y)

Great set again Ade
love the 1st buzzard and jay shots (y)

The jay and the woody fighting are quite funny really.The jay is a lot bigger,but I think it knows that a woodpeckers beak in the eye would hurt...............:D

The jay shouts and screams,but does one when the woody fluffs up and means business..............:LOL:

Impressed I am - you've come on in leaps and bounds Frac. (y)

T`is just luck........with a ruck of help from good people like......:thinking:.......you............(y)

Another failure with the badgers tonight,but my time will come.

Holy moley frac... how have I missed this thread...? Some superb shots in here and by 'eck, they are good.

You're very fortunate to have access to this private land. I must get out in my hide soon and see about some Goosander shots...!

I had a walk around day today,just to gain a bit more knowledge of where things are.I spotted the kingfisher sat on a sheep catcher under a bridge,its damn near pitch black under there,so i`ll have to find it elsewhere.Found some foxy looking holes and where the deer are laying overnight,I saw four buzzards together,assuming 2 adults and two young,(reminds me to kill some more rabbits for them) and didn`t get a photo of any of them.....:LOL:

I did find another wasp nest,in an old hole in the riverbank.....:shrug:

ws1.jpg

Red Admiral I think,idea stolen from Martyn.........:D

bfly1.jpg

View from my hide.

view1.jpg

And my buddy was about.

gsw2.jpg

Shot jpeg fine today,for a change,doesn`t half make pp faster.....:)

All that you can see,we have pastureland,woods,streams and moorland.

view2.jpg

The woods are pretty dark and pretty much left alone.The deer like it in here.

view3.jpg

The land around the house has grazing cattle and sheep on all year round,which is good for insects and good for swallows,not that I have a decent pic of one yet.....:bang:

view4.jpg

The beck holds the usual characters,one of whom seems to loiter around here,but it is dark under there.

view5.jpg

Always a good sign that people are not running dogs at night,the hares will soon bugger off if they are.

hare1.jpg

Good job I had the dog with me or I would not have spotted it.

hare2.jpg

My pooch,he is a good fella.Does what he is told and doesn`t bother anything.

alf.jpg

Hey Frac - any shots of the hide itself...?

I think I am moving it today,the feeders and all.The place I set it up is not ideal for the deer or buzzards..........:thinking:

Yeah,i`ll grab a shot of it later today or tomorrow.

Stunning Shots of the Buzzard? love the woodpeckers aswell (y)

Hopefully i'll have something special to post up tonight :)

Hm.....any clues Andy?

Best of luck............(y)

I always look forward to these updates -very happy-making! Thank you for sharing these great images.

Brilliant shots, I love that first Buzzard image, that pose is perfect needs a bit of shadow lifting in photoshop ;)

Looking forward to more :popcorn:

Well, moved the feeding station and the hide,the ground got a bit boggy after heavy rain and it i=ain`t any fun sitting in mud.

So I uprooted everything,knocked the fence posts back in and screwed the branches back to them,I also sorted a few glitches that I had from the last set up.

Hide is now thus.

hide1.jpg

These greedy beggers were back at it within an hour......:LOL:

gsw3.jpg

gt1.jpg

Got the ok to get a load of nest boxes and owl boxes set up as well............(y)

One from yesterday that I forgot about.

magpie1.jpg

No, they battered and broke it in bits,but I knew they would.Buy cheap buy twice scenario..............:bang:

Yes, and Sandmartin, Black Guillimot, Buzzard and Raven aswell. Couldnt get shots of the buzzard and raven :(. Need to take my time processing the Osprey though. even at 800 theres some heavy cropping to be done. Was awesome though :D

I think they are rubbish Phil, I am doing something wrong with BIF`s at the moment,and I don`t know what,they just seem soft and rubbish to me.Perhaps i`m being too harsh,but I have taken better pics in the past, these just ain`t cutting it for me.

I`m up at F8 or 9,overexpose by 1 or 1.5 stops,camera set to only fire with focus lock,but everything is turning out pants,don`t know why?

Yes, and Sandmartin, Black Guillimot, Buzzard and Raven aswell. Couldnt get shots of the buzzard and raven :(. Need to take my time processing the Osprey though. even at 800 theres some heavy cropping to be done. Was awesome though :D

Next time I get a shoot up on the Scottish Estate,fancy a trip?.........as long as you promise not to fart............:D

Back