weekly sr1867 ~ 52 ~ 2015

Hi Simon

love your Alphabet montage....really great idea for the theme & boy, have you got some patience ! The chair & Daff shots jump out at me but they all look really good :clap:

Sound.....such a sweetie (y)

Machine 3 for me...just needs the color desat'ing to make a cracking mono abstract (y)

Close Up - A pity that the eyelashes aren’t share but being so close I guess it would be difficult. You’ve captured some great detail in the iris of the eye though

Machine - I like the 3rd of the machine shots. The graduation of dark to light going up the image suits the subject well

Vertical - This is an awkward image to take due to the bright sky and thinness of the subject. This has meant some haloing around the tower in places I’m afraid

Alphabet - What a great image and a big thumbs up to taking so long finding and photographing all the subjects. This has really turned out well.

Sound - We’ve got two spaniels sound asleep as well at the moment. He/she looks quite content

Hi Si :)

Close-Up - Preferring the detail in the chin/bristle shot, would like to see a tad more space above the lip, nice angle this and well lit, Like it :)

Machine - I like the cogs/belt but clipped in the totally wrong place, the printer is too dark and lacking interest BUT the third I'm liking, very abstract, shiny and unusual so that is my pick without hesitation :)

Alphabet - What a great collage of images, not much I can crit here other than the same background used a bit too frequently for close letters, other than that real good work, well presented and some great little images :THUMBS:

Sound - Asleep... what a great idea, the dog and shiny bits in the background are a bit distracting, other than that the actual subject is really well lit which brings out the detail in the fur nicely :)

Struggling this last 4 weeks for both ideas and inspiration. Not happy with these but what the hell.

Thought I would Experiment a bit with PS its not the most difficult bit of editing you will ever see.
But it was out of my comfort zone.

Week 16 ~ Experiment
by Simon Rhodes, on Flickr

Heat just seemed like too good an opportunity not to set fire to something .

Week 17 ~ Heat

Wanted to try a white on white shot but it was truly awful so just pressed a few buttons in PS and came up with this believe me its better than the original.

Week 18 ~ Figures

Even more stuck for ideas than ever for this week :banghead:

Week 19 ~ Household

Last edited:
Experiment: Well done, like it. Is it an analogy for anorexia, that's what I saw in the picture?

Heat: Blown up to huge proportions this picture would make a bloody good image on the wall, very arty.

Figures: I like it but I feel there is something just not quite right in my eyes. Perhaps I'm seeing the shadow as just a little too dark, I'm thinking I should hardly be able to see it but it should still be there.

Household: Most amusing :).

Experiment: Well done, like it. Is it an analogy for anorexia, that's what I saw in the picture?

Heat: Blown up to huge proportions this picture would make a bloody good image on the wall, very arty.

Figures: I like it but I feel there is something just not quite right in my eyes. Perhaps I'm seeing the shadow as just a little too dark, I'm thinking I should hardly be able to see it but it should still be there.

Household: Most amusing :).

Cheers Martin. Didn't think about that for experiment I had seen the picture before and wanted to try for a while but I think you might be right. As for the figures I'm not sure on the shadow myself sometimes i like it sometimes not

Hi Simon

Experiment....Wow, what a great image. Definitely looks like a body-Dysmorphia theme going on there.

Heat....Another cracker.

Figures....Very pretty image, and the colours are great for the theme. IMO it wouldn't work without the shadow.

Household....Simple but effective :)

Excellent catch up.

Hi Simon

Experiment ... I think TBH needs a bit more experimentation. Great challenging idea ... I may try something similar myself some day soon.

Heat ... first rate! Love that blue glass and the BG couldn't be better :clap:

Figures ... interesting colouring.

Household ... a very good interpretation .... bricks & mortar, bills bills bills and the wife :LOL:

Hi, Experiment, well done. Like an apple with a body complex :)

Heat, wonderful colours and flowing curves on the flame.

Figures is a funky submission.

Household, never easy are they. On theme and good processing practice.

Cheers.

Four great images for a catch up Simon. My favourite is definitely the apple(s) - a very clever idea well shot, composed and edited :clap:

Hi Simon, well done on the catch up. The theme's have been really tricky the last few weeks - I don't know if I'd have the will to catch up if I missed a few.

Experiment - good idea for the shot and well done on trying something different in photoshop
Heat - is a stunner
figures - I like the subtle colours in this
household - good concept wll executed

:clap:

Always seem like I'm playing catch up at the minute :banghead: And I'm sooooo far behind on comments for which I apologize I'm getting to the give up stage like I did last year.
So as not to get to far behind as 2 weeks in the sun are here tomorrow :cool: these are the last 3 weeks from me and with my new found skills with photoshop (NOT!) all these have been photoshopped one way or another.
Some more badly than others.

Week 20 ~ Alphabet (reshoot)

Week 20 ~ National Speed Limit

Week 20 ~ Limit

Week 21 ~ My Bizarre CockerDoodle

Week 21 ~ Bizarre

Week 22 ~ A Broken Promise

Week 22 ~ Broken

Right I'm off to pack my suitcase :wave:

Limit...Nice simple image which fits the theme well even at first glance

Bizarre....Yep, that would be odd. I actually have seen a cat that is entirely ginger on the left hand side of it's body, and white on the right....eyes are different colours too. Bizarre!

Broken...Again, a lovely simple fit for theme.

Hi Simon,

alphabet reshoot - I'm not sure about this one, I think it's because my head can't tie the letters in with the background - sorry!
limit - I like this one a lot - nice and crisp and the mono rreally works
Bizarre - he's definitely having a bad hair day isn't he? Great idea and it works really well
Broken - another good fit for the theme and very well shot (y)

Hi Simon
I am glad to hear that the dog is photo-shopped as that is truly bizarre! (He is isn't he? :))
Like the Limit in the B&W and the broken - really good idea and nice sharp shots.

Love the mono Limit photo, really crisp and good range of tones. Good idea with the broken shot and nicely executed.

Well you are now out of my club then as you have caught up. I am also way way behind. The days seem to disappear........ Anyway making a token gesture in commenting tonight as it is raining here. Hope it is warm and sunny wherever you are.
Alphabet. Quite like this shot although I feel the letters need to standout a little more from the background.
Limit: Fits theme well and I like the mono effect. A good sharp image.
Bizarre: Whatever you do do not show your beautiful dog this image. He/She does look bizarre though. Would have liked to have seen more detail in the eye as well.
Broken: A well thought of shot, simple, effective and fits theme very well.

Now do not give up, you can and will do it. You are way ahead of me. I'm a straggler at the moment trying to stay away from the naughty corner.

Some excellent ideas and shoppery Simon. (y)

Alphabet ... like the way the letters are semi transparent.

Limit ... variation on a theme ... nice conversion.

Bizarre ... haha ... clever.

Broken ... nicely done.

Hang on in there Simon! My favourite of your latest batch is Broken - a really simple idea, but really well executed. I particularly like how you've not been tempted by your new skills to wipe out the texture of the paper to make a pure white bg!

Hi Simon,

Entertain: The mike and guitar are fab shots; the lighting in each of those are awesome.
Silhouette: Is just superb - one of the best so far. The backlighting and the colour of the sky are wonderful :clap:

Entertain ... T.L. mike pic is as @Carl Ayling says ... awesome.

Spiral ... interesting and pleasing.

Silhouette ... beautiful .... genius idea. :clap:

Entertain - Nice idea. The mic shot or guitar alone would have cut it for this one.

Silhouette - That's just a beautiful image, nothing to offer there.

Hi Simon,

Entertain - good choice for the theme, love the one of the mic

Spiral - another good choice, and nicely shot
Silhouette - that's a beauty. I love the composition and the colours, well done :clap:

OK seeing as I use the dogs a lot! I decided to go with a different Animal.

Week 26 ~ Animal by Simon Rhodes, on Flickr

And this morning I went for my old man Medical at the doctors the nurse kindly let me photograph while drawing my blood. So be kind this is a phone photo and I don't like needles :whistle:

Week 27 ~ Medical by Simon Rhodes, on Flickr

Hi Simon,

Animal: Nice pov and sharp focus on subject.
Medicine: Ow - wish I hadn't seen that .... I always look away brave soul that I am.

Hi Simon, it's hard to comment on a phone picture tbh... and I keep wanting to look away so it's hard to make observations!

Amazing depth of field from the little sensor of course, good colours and detail and kind of tells a story, something in there to say what the injection is for would make it more interesting.

Cheers,

B. :cow:

Animal ... I agree with the above ... nice POV and DOF. ;)

Medical ... don't know what to say. Due to a bone marrow disorder, I have my blood analysed every couple of months: efficient and painless.

More shots for keeping my head above water :grumpy:

Proverbs

week 28 ~ Proverb 1 (Don't) by Simon Rhodes, on Flickr

Week 28 ~ Proverb 2 (The Early Bird) by Simon Rhodes, on Flickr

Week 28 ~ Proverb 3 (The Grass) by Simon Rhodes, on Flickr

Pale Roof in a Pale blue sky

Week 29 ~ Pale by Simon Rhodes, on Flickr

Big boys don't cry.
This was take for another competition a couple of years ago and never used and was buried deep in my archive never to be seen. But I thought what the hell.
I don't make a habit of it but I can draw a Tear if I try hard enough.

Week 30 ~ Tear by Simon Rhodes, on Flickr
url=https://flic.kr/p/wbLZ4S]
19812644900_fa39fef36c_z.jpg
[/url]

Hi Simon. Proverb #1 had me cringing as soon as I saw it. It is probably the best exposed of the three in the set and is certainly the most interesting and composed (#2 has of course the cute factor to make it a contender). Pale: Interesting piece of architecture. Tear: Sad reflection on the theme .... as it were.

Proverb #1 very graphic and slightly unnerving.

Pale, wonderful building, just spoilt by the tree. I might have gone for a more simple submission by getting in much closer to the roof.

Boys Don't Cry - The Cure, one of my all time favourite :) I see where you are going but it feels a little disjointed.

Cheers and listening to Boys Don't Cry on Youtube :)

Proverb 3 the Grass ... what an excellent idea for Proverb.

Tear ... I tried doing one of Ms d00d in tears but it's difficult ... best showing red eyes ... that doesn't show up in mono.

Back