weekly Stevesc's 52 in 2016. Week 35 "Black and White" added

Really strong message here Steve ! I like the composition with the angle of the jar and the desaturated look works well to focus on the jar - and its content. The second of the series - teenage years - smashed glass and teenage boots jumping up and down on squashed remnants!!! Ignore me...

Great shot Steve, I think the selective colouring works very well for that image.

I really like this image, the selective colour works really well towards the overall effect, that their small hands also works well. It could easily be a arty type greeting card and fits the theme in a really creative way :clap:

Thanks, I agree that the small hands help, wouldn't have had the same effect with adult hands.

Gorgeous shot - love the concept and how cool that you got to involve your little person. Selective colouring works really well with this and I love the shallow dof

Great stuff

Spooks

Thanks, She is quite creative and enjoys getting involved (for short amounts of time) so looking forward to doing more with her in the future.

Steve, really like this, simple but so effective, I would send it off to the cards companies for their designs

Thanks for your kind words.

Really strong message here Steve ! I like the composition with the angle of the jar and the desaturated look works well to focus on the jar - and its content. The second of the series - teenage years - smashed glass and teenage boots jumping up and down on squashed remnants!!! Ignore me...
haha...yeah, those teenage year could be fun :)

Hi Steve ....that's a lovely sentiment and a really nice shot, I would be tempted to clone out the light flare on the heart and see what that looks like, but I love those tiny hands holding the jar and the red spotty lid, I think it would look good as a canvas on the wall.
Thanks, Your probably right about the flare, I'll give it a go later but I'm not the best at cloning. It's the first time I have photographed a glass jar and I was finding all the reflections/flare a real pain.

Great shot Steve, I think the selective colouring works very well for that image.

Thanks (y)

Selective colouring is a Marmite thing, I'm ambivalent though :D and think it works well in this instance,
great idea (y)

hi steve,
bit soft mate, looking at exif looks like you only had 1/30s, at 85mm,
saying that,
lovely concept, I think the SC makes the shot it says what the image is all about:),

if you went for soft take ignore post:)

Selective colouring is a Marmite thing, I'm ambivalent though :D and think it works well in this instance,
great idea (y)
Cheers, I'm a bit the same myself.

hi steve,
bit soft mate, looking at exif looks like you only had 1/30s, at 85mm,
saying that,
lovely concept, I think the SC makes the shot it says what the image is all about:),

if you went for soft take ignore post:)

Thanks, didn't actually go for soft and it's not as sharp as I would like but the best shot I got. Looking now I realise the ISO was at 200 so should have upped that a bit (although I don't normally go above 400 with this camera).

A little close at the bottom but a belting submission.

Cheers.

Thanks (y), I could possibly add a little to the bottom as this was a crop.

Really nice idea Steve. Personally, I like selective colour and don't shy away from it. It needs to be used in the right way though, and this is the right way (y)

I wonder if the highlights are a little too blown out? I think you could tweak the highlights back slightly to retain a little more detail. This may well be the effect you are going for so feel free to tell me to keep quiet.

Really nice shot though, and all the better that it has a personal link for you :)

Hello and welcome to the challenge, slightly behind on my comments so trying to catch up now. Looks like your off to a good start, looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Thanks, there's so many to comment on that it's pretty difficult to keep up to date so I appreciate your comments.

Really nice idea Steve. Personally, I like selective colour and don't shy away from it. It needs to be used in the right way though, and this is the right way (y)

I wonder if the highlights are a little too blown out? I think you could tweak the highlights back slightly to retain a little more detail. This may well be the effect you are going for so feel free to tell me to keep quiet.

Really nice shot though, and all the better that it has a personal link for you :)

Thanks, I was looking at this at work yesterday and on the monitor there it looks like the top arm has blown highlights, I hadn't noticed it when editing at home so wasn't sure if it was just the screen at work. If I get chance I'll have another edit to try and bring it down a bit.

Nice sentiment for the theme Steve and the colour and DoF are superb.

Cheers.

Very imaginative love the concept very nice picture, you must have the patience of a saint. (y)

Very imaginative love the concept very nice picture, you must have the patience of a saint. (y)

Thanks, wish I had the patience of a saint sometimes :) She was very easy to work with (this time) and was very patient with me trying a few different things.

Brilliant take on the the theme. Lovely soft image and great selective colouring
A great idea for the theme and really well executed for me. I'm not a huge fan of selective colouring, but it works so well here - I like the way the colour on the lid balances that on the heart.
Nice image - definitely can tell many stories and yes it does fit the theme very well

Cheers, appreciate the comments. :)

Metal, I keep trying to read more so it has intrigued me which is great for a photograph. Love the diagonal composition too :clap::clap:

Captive is a very emotive image and my only crit would be to have the jar a little clearer as it looks a little fogged up (y)

Great image. Love the concept and the selective colouring. On the whole image works really well for me. good interpretation of the theme.

Cracking shot - as has been mentioned previously, looks like it should be on a greetings card.

Metal, I keep trying to read more so it has intrigued me which is great for a photograph. Love the diagonal composition too :clap::clap:

Captive is a very emotive image and my only crit would be to have the jar a little clearer as it looks a little fogged up (y)

Thanks for the comments. I really should have cleaned it up a bit better! :banghead:

Great image. Love the concept and the selective colouring. On the whole image works really well for me. good interpretation of the theme.
Cracking shot - as has been mentioned previously, looks like it should be on a greetings card.
Fantastic - not usually a fan of selective colour but this works wonderfully well with a fantastic interpretation - well done :)

Cheers, I appreciate the comments.

Week 3 - Miniature. I've had a few ideas for this theme but have settled on this for now. I may add another one if I get the time this week.

My first try at a composite image using a mix of gimp and elements (if anyone can tell me an easy way to open images as layers in elements I'd appreciate it). My daughter got involved again this week but appears to have fallen asleep on the job :)

Matchbox bed by Steve, on Flickr

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Now that is a wonderfully, sweet photograph.

The purple BG and purple match heads work really well, as does your daughter's position.

You've set the bar on this weeks submission (y)

Cheers.

Stunning love evrything about this. She looks sooooooo snug.

Gaz

Oh dear - Went along with an idea and converted it into an image (shortly to be posted). Unfortunately it's on similar lines to yours ... unfortunate for me that is 'cos this knocks mine into a hat. Oh the shame ... I shall hang my head in shame and start the long walk into the sunset thanks to you. Well done Steve - a fabulous image. :clap:

Nice image, really like it, just got to pull my finger out now and get on with this weeks theme

Awesome image.
If I were being hyper critical, then perhaps thee should be slightly more shadow cast by your daughter, but I really do mean *hyper*.
I love that image and wish my photography & PP skills were anywhere near that level.

Really like everything about this image - the composition, focus, blending, colour & vignetting. Well done!

That's a stunning image! :clap:

Oh dear - Went along with an idea and converted it into an image (shortly to be posted). Unfortunately it's on similar lines to yours ... unfortunate for me that is 'cos this knocks mine into a hat. Oh the shame ... I shall hang my head in shame and start the long walk into the sunset thanks to you. Well done Steve - a fabulous image. :clap:

Thanks for your kind comments. Having seen yours though I think you have put yourself down unnecessarily.

Nice image, really like it, just got to pull my finger out now and get on with this weeks theme
Another gem, you've really nailed this theme too
Both captive and miniature show real creative flair. Like them a lot
Really like everything about this image - the composition, focus, blending, colour & vignetting. Well done!
That's a stunning image! :clap:

Wow, thanks everyone for your really kind comments.

Awesome image.
If I were being hyper critical, then perhaps thee should be slightly more shadow cast by your daughter, but I really do mean *hyper*.
I love that image and wish my photography & PP skills were anywhere near that level.

I'm happy to hear any critique and you are correct, it could do with more shadow. I decreased the shadows a bit on the image of my daughter as they needed lifting a bit on her face but that obviously also effects the rest of the shadow, I assume that the shadow is also more pronounced in the matchbox image as it was a much closer in shot. There are also a few other little bits that I see that annoy me but hoping that most don't spot them.

Metal - I like the poem good choice
Captive - great concept as Lee says I could see that on greetings card I really like it.

Miniature - that is soooo adorable I love it

Last edited:
Beautiful! The selective colour works really well. Really lovely photograph:clap:

Just to agree with everyone else, that is a superbly executed image for miniature.

Back