Stratford on Avon Film Meet?

Preferred date for a Stratford upon Avon film meet?

• Sat April 25

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Sun April 26

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Sat May 2

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Sun May 3

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Mon May 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sat May 9

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Sun May 10

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Well it seems the Edinburgh meet was a success, and I've previously been prompted to organise one in the Midlands. So I was wondering about a film meet in Stratford-on-Avon (or Warwick, if preferred).

Stratford is small, generally picturesque, and rather flooded with tourists. It has pubs and railway station that still gets trains from Birmingham (and possibly also from Warwick?). It's also close to the M40, so good transport links for most of the dedicated band of film-meeters. My OH thinks it is over-crowded with tourists in the summer and so we should wait, but I suspect she thnks we actually want to photograph things rather than chat and look at cameras etc. It's got the Avon and a canal basin, and a couple of ugly theatres, plus some Shakesperian sites. I rather like it.

Warwick is smaller and less touristy, with a Saturday market (actually Stratford has one too... I like markets!). Lots of Tudor architecture. Pubs and a slightly better-connected railway station, and even closer to the M40. It's main advantage is Warwick Castle, but the Castle's main disadvantage is the horrendous entrance charge (booked 7 days in advance, the cheapest adult ticket is still £18). You can get a few Castle views without going in, and there are boats to rent that would get an unusual river view (not sure that boats are compatible with film meets, for various obvious reasons, but hey).

So, what d'you think? Discuss. If there's interest I'll do a poll...

ETA: decided on Stratford on Avon, 9 May 2015. Known attendees:

@ChrisR
@Andysnap
@simon ess
@Woodsy hopes to be there
@donut hopes to be there
@Carl Hall also hopes to be there, if he can buy a van in time!
@Yv might just possibly come!!! And now... drumroll...
@RaglanSurf may also be there! This is turning into quite a party!

For those coming by car there's an official Park and Ride just off the A46 (by the new Parkway station), can either get a bus in or walk in along the canal bank. There's also an unofficial Park and Walk, off the A439 Warwick Road, where you can walk in along the river bank. Plus car parks in town; I guess all will be a bit busy at the weekend.

If you walk in from the main Stratford on Avon station, along Alcester Road, it becomes Greenhill St. At the end of that (before it becomes Wood St) by the Old Thatch Tavern, Rother St crosses it; there will likely be a market in Rother St. If you turn right along Rother St, there is a well-reviewed cafe and coffee shop called McKechnies, perhaps we could meet there, aim for 10 am or so? Checked it out today, looks reasonable; the owner says it gets crowded half tennish, so we'll probably be OK. There's tables out the front and rear if the weather's reasonable. It might be a bit hidden behind the street market.

I also checked out the pubs...:beer:

ETA: Useful Stratford Town Map here... If you're coming in from the Park and Ride, the bus probably drops off in Bridge St, need to walk up Bridge St and then Wood St (not far), then turn left at the top for the market in Rother St and McKechnies. If you park in the free Fisherman's Car Park and walk in by the river, that is the Riverside Walk at the bottom right of the Town Map I just linked to (the other two links are Google Maps for the two car parks).

Last edited:
I'm interested in both, though I think you've sold me on Stratford more than Warwick. Taking a clichéd shot without crowds of tourists in the way could be a new film challenge!

A midlands meet is a great idea, stick up some dates.

I'd be up for this, either Warwick or Stratford although if pushed I would say Warwick as I've only been there once and that only briefly. But as you know I will turn up for the opening of a window so wherever and whenever is pretty much ok with me. :D

Any news on this Chris? We missed you at the Edinburgh meet so get something sorted soon. Try not to make it during the Commonwealth Games please ;)

Any news on this Chris? We missed you at the Edinburgh meet so get something sorted soon. Try not to make it during the Commonwealth Games please ;)

Never took you for a sports fan, Nick! Oh, you're busy editing then?

Timing has been the thing on my mind, what with these weddings, a short Highlands trip, and my wife's threat that I might have to go on holiday with her to Greece at some unspecified time. Not to mention the Edinburgh festivals and the Proms. I'll have a think...

Never took you for a sports fan, Nick! Oh, you're busy editing then?

Timing has been the thing on my mind, what with these weddings, a short Highlands trip, and my wife's threat that I might have to go on holiday with her to Greece at some unspecified time. Not to mention the Edinburgh festivals and the Proms. I'll have a think...
Sounds like you're calling the shots then Chris or Mrs Chris is, work out some dates and we can paint the midlands all sorts of different tones between black and white.

Either of these sound good, never been to Stratford but only ever visited the castle at Warwick. Film meet + boats sounds like an excellent combo :naughty:

Film meet + Boats + beer sounds even better....:banana:

If you would allow a newbie I too would be happy to meet at either Stratford or Warwick. I live in Nottingham so not far for me to travel
Been to Stratford many times and there are plenty of photo opportunities

The more the merrier David, you are more than welcome.

Well if the wife and grandchildren are interested I'll take them to Warwick castle during the week, and use the cornflakes free entry for adults...after entry fees, dinner, ice creams etc plus fuel costs I'd be lucky to have some change from £100. :eek: h'mm I could buy a 50mm etrs lens that I want for that :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Been away for a week at weddings and wind-down (still away)... I'll get onto this when I get back next week, promise!

I might be interested, depending on dates, although i would need to check bus/train as i'm carless at the minute... might even get me back in to shooting again, which would be really really really lovely

OK there hasn't been a film meet for simply ages, it seems (Arundel, last year?). So I'm going to revive this thread and suggest Stratford on Avon, maybe Saturday 25 April?
Whatcha think?

i will if i can . stratford looks good but either will do

Sorry, can't do the 25th Chris. Could do the 2nd May.

OK, 2nd might work better for me, but i is Bank Holiday weekend isn't it?

OK, 2nd might work better for me, but i is Bank Holiday weekend isn't it?
Good point, I can't do the following weekend as mopping up the aftermath of the election. Would be good to pick a weekend when cheap rail tickets are available.

The 2nd is better for me too, may be able to make the 25th but not preferred, can't make the 9th, haven't planned my weekends any further than that at the moment. :)

It seems train tickets from that London are not too dear; £29 return from Marylebone? I'll put up a poll for dates...

I might be interested in this, depending on whether I have a car at the time or not :LOL: Currently got my car up for sale so if I've still got it, or got a replacement then I might be able to, but not if I'm in that limbo stage between cars where I have to walk everywhere! Seems that a train ticket is £75 with 3-4 changes!

@Carl Hall

Where's your nearest station Carl?

I might be interested in this, depending on whether I have a car at the time or not :LOL: Currently got my car up for sale so if I've still got it, or got a replacement then I might be able to, but not if I'm in that limbo stage between cars where I have to walk everywhere! Seems that a train ticket is £75 with 3-4 changes!
Sounds like it might be time to organise a West Country meet Carl.

I live in Yeovil Andy, so either Yeovil Pen Mill or Yeovil Junction :)

Mmm, yeh, looks a bit tricky from down there.

The 06.53 change at Basingstoke, then the 08.47 from Basingstoke to Banbury, then the 10.29 from Banbury to Stratford looks the best bet, gets you in at 11.15 and costs £69.80.

Andy

Mmm, yeh, looks a bit tricky from down there.

The 06.53 change at Basingstoke, then the 08.47 from Basingstoke to Banbury, then the 10.29 from Banbury to Stratford looks the best bet, gets you in at 11.15 and costs £69.80.

Andy

06:53!! Us soft southerners can't get up that early :p

I've hopefully got a chap coming to look at my car this coming weekend so if he buys it I will have loads of time to buy myself a nice van beforehand :)

depending when, I have a few weddings in the diary in May, but IF a date is decided on when I am not booked, would love to come along and happy to offer transport for anyone coming from London or near the M40 belt up to Stratford. Defo can't do the 2nd/3rd, but 4th, 9th 10th all good I think.

06.53, that's half the day gone. I'm usually on my second breakfast by then. :D

depending when, I have a few weddings in the diary in May, but IF a date is decided on when I am not booked, would love to come along and happy to offer transport for anyone coming from London or near the M40 belt up to Stratford. Defo can't do the 2nd/3rd, but 4th, 9th 10th all good I think.

I'm happy to pick people up from Reading station if that'd make journeys easier. I promise not to linger so you won't have to be in Reading for very long ;)

No, that's brunch.... :D

Back