Stratford on Avon Film Meet?

Preferred date for a Stratford upon Avon film meet?

• Sat April 25

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Sun April 26

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Sat May 2

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Sun May 3

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Mon May 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sat May 9

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Sun May 10

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I assure you, I was not as miserable and unimpressed as I look in this photo!

I must say, when I scanned it, for a moment I thought someone else was drinking your whisky! Sorry about that; it is undoubtedly a dreadful photo. I hope Andy's shot from his Automat will do the group a bit more justice.

That will be on the film I dev tonight so we shall se if he's cheered up a bit.

OK, thinking about the dark streaks on some of my negs, I'm thinking I may have a light leak in the Bessa. I don't think anything in the processing could have caused those marks. They are always the same: two close parallel white marks on the positive, not extending all the way across the film. However, they are not always in the same place, and one frame even has two of them:

EDIT: Pic removed...

They appear to the left, on the right, and in the middle of frames.

The R3A does have a little window on the left where you can see the film cartridge, but I'm assuming it's not that, or it would be consistently on one side of the frame. Can anyone explain this?

And would Jon Goodman be the right man for Bessa seals?

ETA: Oh, and is there anything I can do to reduce the problem, given (a) they didn't appear in all frames and (b) I have another film in the camera?

EDIT: Later I discovered that the light leak was not in camera, but was occurring as I loaded the Rondinax tank. Contrary to instructions, I was loading it in bright light and on a reflective sink drainer. Light from the window was being reflected up the guillotine slot, causing an effect when the wind-on was paused to change grip!

Last edited:
Could it be a light leak in the tank you devved them in. I've never used the one you have and I don't think its an issue with the Patterson variety but yours is a bit more exotic.
I would have thought a light leak in camera would be in the same spot each time. :thinking:

Could it be a light leak in the tank you devved them in. I've never used the one you have and I don't think its an issue with the Patterson variety but yours is a bit more exotic.
I would have thought a light leak in camera would be in the same spot each time. :thinking:

I don't think a light leak in the tank would explain it. The axis of the spiral is horizontal, so it would be difficult for the light to get in past the outer parts, and the 5th frame was affected. I guess the test for that will come when I manage to get the leaders out on the other two rolls, one of which is from the CL.

I agree with you about the in-camera leak though, hence the question...

I'm pleased to report that Mr Wood looks much happier on my neg. Just drying off now so it will probably be tomorrow when I get to scan them.

So where next folks, do we fancy oxford or somewhere else?
Or York? Dungeness? Black Country Museum?

Someone also suggested Cambridge... though it is a bit isolated over there in the East, transit via London and all that...

BTW young Nick, that's a rather ood sig you've got there!

Someone also suggested Cambridge... though it is a bit isolated over there in the East, transit via London and all that...

Via London? Pah! That's where the journey starts :D

BTW young Nick, that's a rather ood sig you've got there!

How do you mean? ood?

OK, thinking about the dark streaks on some of my negs, I'm thinking I may have a light leak in the Bessa. I don't think anything in the processing could have caused those marks. They are always the same: two close parallel white marks on the positive, not extending all the way across the film. However, they are not always in the same place, and one frame even has two of them: (image deleted...)

They appear to the left, on the right, and in the middle of frames.

The R3A does have a little window on the left where you can see the film cartridge, but I'm assuming it's not that, or it would be consistently on one side of the frame. Can anyone explain this?

And would Jon Goodman be the right man for Bessa seals?

ETA: Oh, and is there anything I can do to reduce the problem, given (a) they didn't appear in all frames and (b) I have another film in the camera?

Jon Goodman replied to say he doesn't have Bessa R3A seals, or the necessary templates. He rather thought it might be a processing problem. I'm expecting a leader-picker in the next couple of days; assuming that works I'll dev the other two frames. If neither have marks, I'll write it as a one-off, if both have marks it's processing, and if only the Bessa does then it's... something, seals I suppose!

So where next folks, do we fancy oxford or somewhere else?

Cote d'Azur ?:cool:

You can all crash out in thé garden....just bring a sleeping bag along with repelents for the moustiques, hornets, ants, scorpions, snakes, thé wild pig that keeps digging up my veggies before they have time to grow and of course all the local cats :D

You make us feel so :welcome:, Asha!

Blist Hill Living Museum in Ironbridge?

Or.... (strident trumpets blare).... A weekend in the Lake District.

I have spoken to the (ever-lovely) CMS and she would probably be willing to aid us with her huge knowledge of bigger properties in the Lakes. So whatdaya think folks, shall we start a thread?

I have spoken to the (ever-lovely) CMS and she would probably be willing to aid us with her huge knowledge of bigger properties in the Lakes. So whatdaya think folks, shall we start a thread?

I like the lakes idea as you know so count me in, date dependent of course. If u ever fancy doing peak district for a w/e meey btw, friend of mine has 2 big cottages there with lots off room for many people.

I was thinking more a day in between, late july/early august perhaps.

Dont mind where but have done dungeness to death, anywhere else please :LOL:

Do it Andy. If this is a goer (ooh er Mrs) I'd like to get it sorted soon as I will probably tack it on to a holiday in the camper van and make it part of a proper holiday. So who's up for a Lake District challenge?

I like the lakes idea as you know so count me in, date dependent of course. If u ever fancy doing peak district for a w/e meey btw, friend of mine has 2 big cottages there with lots off room for many people.

I was thinking more a day in between, late july/early august perhaps.

Dont mind where but have done dungeness to death, anywhere else please :LOL:
Great idea Yv, haven't done the Peaks so great for a weekend. As for day trips any of the suggestions are all good.
Dungeness although done to death by us southerners is quite often suggested but requires it to be a weekend destination for the northern types, maybe that could be a weekend to include Dungeness and maybe Whitstable and Reculver.

I could be up for a lakes trip but logistically it would have be somewhere near one of the larger railway stations.

You lot are all going the wrong way! :p You want to go down South for a meet, not further up North :LOL:
Get it sorted then Carl, don't wait for us. Always happy to make a trip to the West Country. It's been a couple of years since we went to Bristol for a meet.

Glad you all had fun, looking forward to seeing more photos :)

It's been a couple of years since we went to Bristol for a meet.

Blimey, it really has been, hasn't it. October 2012, according to the album I put on flickr. Time flies on a banana or something like that.

Find picturesque place with pub. Advertise on these boards, meet everyone, pretend to take a couple of pictures or not in @Woodsy case go to pub talk rubbish.

Yep, that about sums it up. The only thing you forgot was the camera fondling. :eek:

I don't even know what really goes on at film meets, let alone how to arrange one :LOL:
Just what the others have said, generally there is no plan so nothing can go wrong.

If possible try and put up a choice of dates using a forum poll, try and make it far enough in the future to give people time to get cheap rail tickets for those using public transport (not absolutely necessary, we have had some very successful short notice meets), try and pick somewhere reasonably picturesque or if it ain't pretty make it interesting (we did go to Manchester once) and make sure the pub sells 'proper' beer.

That's about it really.

Oh and try and ensure decent weather (y) Although usually the weather has been pretty good on the film meets, I like to think it's because the sun always shines on the righteous :cool:

In the front are Nikki and Woody, on the wings Chris R and Nick (raglansurf), at the back, left to right, Simon Ess, Andysnap (me) and Yv, a friendly mod.

Andy had to run to get in the shot and he only looks a little bit out of breath :runaway:

You say run..... more like a fast amble, any quicker and I wouldn't have been able to stop in time for the shot. :D

Happy, happy, happy, happy togs, talking 'bout things we like to snap....

Happy-Togs by Andy, on Flickr

That is a very good meet shot and you can see that everyone is having a great time, Sorry I was not able to attend.

In the front are Nikki and Woody, on the wings Chris R and Nick (raglansurf), at the back, left to right, Simon Ess, Andysnap (me) and Yv, a friendly mod.

Yv looks lovely.

Find picturesque place with pub. Advertise on these boards, meet everyone, pretend to take a couple of pictures (or not in @Woodsy case) go to pub talk rubbish.

So basically you all just sit in a pub for a few hours, then when you get a bit achey you wander around for a bit with a camera :p Sounds like a good way to spend a day to me :LOL:

So basically you all just sit in a pub for a few hours, then when you get a bit achey you wander around for a bit with a camera :p Sounds like a good way to spend a day to me :LOL:

To give the appearance of sobriety, we usually meet in a coffee shop before walking to the pub (perhaps the long way round), and then on to another pub (again the long way round). But yes, a good way to spend a day!

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Although it's a little unfair to suggest we spend all our time sitting in pubs, we do sometimes sit in cafe's and drink proper tea and coffee and eat pig related food products.

Back