Studio Build Thread

One observation, put more double sockets in the studded walls than you may think you need.

Just make sure you soundproof these as much as you can, think heels on wooden / hard flooring echoing in the newborn room..... = one wide awake / distracted baby ;)

Phil.

Valid point, pored concrete floor up stairs, you could hit it with a hammer and not wake a soul, the stairs too. There will be soundproofing/insulation in all the wall cavities.

As for sockets, I had a word with the Sparky and was going to put 16 per studio? Enough?

Last edited:
This is gona be the hight of the main studio, Thats 12ft! Looks massive.

Whats thoughts on lighting that? I was thinking LED spots?

6836846806_87b51bb981_z.jpg

The main reception, main wall sheeted and the plasterboard on the left stripped. We are putting a full height reclaimed victorian red brick wall in its place. Just cos we can!

6982971275_c91196d354_z.jpg

We'd really appreciate some feedback on the background support thing as well. I'm a big fan of going wider, 3.5 as opposed to the 2.7. We have 5m to play with. 20 sockets in the studios, 2 in the celling ;)

I am getting a really kick out of doing alot of this work myself. Not the actual building work but the laboring and general helping, I'll be almost sad when its finished!

Don't forget the bar...........

Why would you need to light your main studio shoot space? shouldn't that be dark? I would put cheap low energy bulbs in. I am sure on of the Gar(r)y boys will be along soon to enlighten us. (no pun) ........ (well OK it was)

Don't forget the bar...........

Why would you need to light your main studio shoot space? shouldn't that be dark? I would put cheap low energy bulbs in. I am sure on of the Gar(r)y boys will be along soon to enlighten us. (no pun) ........ (well OK it was)

It'll need lit to some degree! Its a box within a building so no natural light!

Its a good 8m long so I would imagine More lights at the 'seating' end and less in the business area but enough to see and more importantly focus!!

I cant see past the LEDs at the moment, I loves them!

We'd really appreciate some feedback on the background support thing as well. I'm a big fan of going wider, 3.5 as opposed to the 2.7. We have 5m to play with. 20 sockets in the studios, 2 in the celling ;)

With such a space and your obvious skills, why are you not putting an infinity wall in, unless I missed something? Gives you so many options.

http://www.eyehandy.com/photography/how-to-build-a-cyclorama-photo-studio-with-ashley/

If you needed a backdrop support, I would then attach that to a different wall, maybe that breezeblock wall. I dont know your layout though.

It'll need lit to some degree! Its a box within a building so no natural light!

Its a good 8m long so I would imagine More lights at the 'seating' end and less in the business area but enough to see and more importantly focus!!

I cant see past the LEDs at the moment, I loves them!

So you are not meaning studio space but reception area/gallery space then? Just to clarify as that is different.

Kris said:
With such a space and your obvious skills, why are you not putting an infinity wall in, unless I missed something? Gives you so many options.

http://www.eyehandy.com/photography/how-to-build-a-cyclorama-photo-studio-with-ashley/

If you needed a backdrop support, I would then attach that to a different wall, maybe that breezeblock wall. I dont know your layout though.

We will be but that restricts you with just white.

We want to be able to offer black/grey and various other coloured backgrounds too.

tiler65 said:
Use gelled lights?

We probably will start going down this route but its much easier to just pull one paper up and unroll another rather than reconfigure all your lights.

I imagine using paper will be easier to get a nice even block of colour, ive never used gels but it would require some 'tweaking' which is a luxury you cant afford when you have a kid with the attention span of a goldfish!

We will be but that restricts you with just white.

We want to be able to offer black/grey and various other coloured backgrounds too.

No it doesn't, not at all. Not if you can control the ambient.

And as said above, gels can be cheaper/better than various coloured backdrops.

I'd design that entire floor-plan around a full width infinity wall personally.

Last edited:
My phones playing up hence the 2 answers.

Initially it will be easier to work with coloured papers, theres no learning curve required. No tweaking and no blagging it on the job.

We will play with gels when we get the chance but as far as I can see they aren't a straight like for like swap with paper. For example a shot of a kid sitting or lying on the floor (on a red background)....theres no way you can gel the floor (foreground) red without the kid looking red too.

Don't get me wrong I love the look of gel but there is areas where they are restrictive.

I know you have said that there are male/female/disabled toilets and baby changing room, but have you considered having changing rooms for the studios in case you decide at a later date to hire them out or have models in for training days? One studio I went to just had a curtained off in a corner and the models were never as quick to change as when they had a proper room with somewhere to hang clothes and a mirror for their makeup.

Looks like it will be super, hope it gets done quickly and takes off for you.

Looks great so far guys! Not in the slightest bit jealous :razz:

Good luck and can't wait to see the end result! :)

There are some disadvantages, esp with regards to colour, but there any many more advantages.

You can make an infinity wall far far wider than any roll for larger families (you need a long lens and muchos space and probably PhotoShop) to get a large group on a 2.9m roll). Kids can run around without any tripping. No danger of a roll coming down. It takes light better than any roll of paper, which easily shows creases/patterns. You can light it to any shade of white/grey/black you like. Takes gels well. If you are renting it out, I think most people would assume that a studio of that size/spec will come with an infinity wall. I would.

When you have bought your 10th roll of colorama, instead of one pot of white emulsion, you will regret not having an inf wall.

I'd love a cove, rather than an inf wall. :)

http://terrywhitephotography.com/galleries/mystudio/

But it's your party. Amazing space.

Again, we will have a infinity wall...there is no reason not to have both though! Paper can be draped over an infinity curve and gives us options that gels dont offer.

We're trying to keep things as open as possible initially, the last thing we want to be doing is trying to install more fittings after we're open.

Thanks for all the positive input, anyone whos local can drop in for a look if they wish, probably better waiting until we're nearly finished though.

There are some disadvantages, esp with regards to colour, but there any many more advantages.

You can make an infinity wall far far wider than any roll for larger families (you need a long lens and muchos space and probably PhotoShop) to get a large group on a 2.9m roll). Kids can run around without any tripping. No danger of a roll coming down. It takes light better than any roll of paper, which easily shows creases/patterns. You can light it to any shade of white/grey/black you like. Takes gels well. If you are renting it out, I think most people would assume that a studio of that size/spec will come with an infinity wall. I would.

When you have bought your 10th roll of colorama, instead of one pot of white emulsion, you will regret not having an inf wall.

I'd love a cove, rather than an inf wall. :)

http://terrywhitephotography.com/galleries/mystudio/

But it's your party. Amazing space.

****ing hell !!! That is a beautiful studio! I'd love that!

Lucky boys!
Looking good so far will subscribe to keep an eye on progress.

Thanks for sharing.

This will be the mez opening into the main reception.

6839295098_53c51411c6_z.jpg

The main studio space with sockets installed (right hand wall to be added!!) There will also be some roof mounted sockets with switches on the walls.

6985413947_1f9602edb3_z.jpg

Alt view of the main reception.

6839294178_c64597de86_z.jpg

Yes Kris all studios will have a infinity curve built in and painted white. We are thinking acrylic sheet of the floor to give nice depth to photos and save on repainting ever 2 weeks! I dunno if I've made it clear but most of the pictures of the big wall are actually the reception space and not a studio space, The studios will be through the door and off the Gallery space under the mez.

I'm a big fan of using the paper rolls to provide different colored background in a bid to move away from high key white!

I like the idea of a cove but we do not really have the room without sacrificing other space. We are planning this for 4-5 years down the line so that hopefully all studios will be in regular and overlapping use.

We don not intend on renting out studio time. Although ability and demand dependent would be interested in education/tutoring.

We are know having to get down to the issue of choosing light fitting etc as the build is moving on at a rapid pace for just 1 builder and a couple of laborers!

Trainspotters_00006.jpg

We are thinking these for the main lighting in the reception space. Maybe powdercoated for a more appealing finish.

43 cm across with an up to 2m chain.

Kris said:
My studio? I wish!

My mistake, misread the posts on the train!

I'm eagerly following this thread & I love all the behind the scenes shots documenting the outstanding progress. Impressive work.

2800 views!

Had a big of a reshuffle/redesign today!

Up stairs will not be a massive studio (10ft celling height) with a cove in the corner.

Pictures to follow!

Loving the studio.

How much will it have cots to turn the building you moved into, into the studio?

So eh, no photos today cos I left the camera in the house!

An update on whats happening anyway.

We decided that due to the way the wall shad to be constructed etc the main studio was not wide enough. It will still be used as a studio but we have stolen 1.3ism meters in length from it and added it to the changing room area and made this a viewing room. Again the orientation of the other studios has been changed with one now 5ish meters wide and 6.8ish meters long. The smallest has now became another viewing room.

Up stairs which was going to be 2 viewing rooms and a shop front will now be the Big studio complete with cove. There will be shop front space too.

It may be that we require to open studios in stages, adding more as (hopefully) demand increases.

The changing are will now be accessed under the mez and added to the toilet area. This is a compromise but one that will be workable.

I'm now starting to think about the more subtle things. We will have a 60" tv in the shop front window, roof mounted playing a slideshow 24/7 Whats the best way to achieve this? Will DVD players play in a constant loop?or is USB card stick option better?

Whats the best way to conduct viewing sessions? Animoto slideshow then Iphoto? Seems a bit rough.

Studio software, LightBlue? whats the verdict on this?

Marketing but thats more Matts bag!(y)

I'm also having to think about handing in my notice for my current employment imminently! :rules:

Whats the best way to achieve this? Will DVD players play in a constant loop?or is USB card stick option better?

USB stick all the way - or hook up a PC that will cycle through whatever images you tell it with the appropriate transitions... would't have to be the world's most powerful if it's just displaying the images.

USB stick all the way - or hook up a PC that will cycle through whatever images you tell it with the appropriate transitions... would't have to be the world's most powerful if it's just displaying the images.

Will the USB deal just cycle? I've never really used that function. I never watch TV! (i dont in fact have a TV license - The telly isnt plugged into the..well telly!)

Back