Studio Build Thread

Whats the best way to conduct viewing sessions? Animoto slideshow then Iphoto? Seems a bit rough.

Under no circumstances.

I'm unaware of any real alternatives for viewing?
For the viewings, the bit where you sell products to the client? I assume that's what you mean, if not, ignore the following:
Why would you want a random slideshow of images when selling pictures (I say random, as that's what Animoto was last time I looked)?

First you'd go through the images making a selection to show the client. Then with the client, you want to be able go through them, with the client saying yes/no/maybe as you whittle the shots down to their favourites. You may even show how these might look in one of your frames on a wall, or 3 on a wall together. There's good software available to do that.

Depends on what you're playing it on - some have an autorepeat, some you have to set it... if it was on a PC (or similar) then at least you'd have explicit control...

For the viewings, the bit where you sell products to the client? I assume that's what you mean, if not, ignore the following:
Why would you want a random slideshow of images when selling pictures (I say random, as that's what Animoto was last time I looked)?

because that slideshow is a saleable product in its own right, it also puts your client in a perfect emotional frame of mind for buying...once you've made them cry with pride you then go about selling.

What we're really looking for is info on is the specific software people use for viewing and the structure they use. i.e. Proselect etc.

You can use proselect, but it costs a bomb.

Personally, I like Lightroom collections, and flag each picture with their rejects, maybes and positives off the second monitor attaached to the 60".

Keeping everything in lightroom is so beneficial to me in so many ways.

because that slideshow is a saleable product in its own right, it also puts your client in a perfect emotional frame of mind for buying...once you've made them cry with pride you then go about selling.
Ah I see. So you could do a slideshow with something like ProShow Gold, and then go through individual pictures with something like Pro Select.

You can use proselect, but it costs a bomb.
It'll be too much for a lot of low cost living room businesses, but looking at the set-up here, I'd think it's worth spending the money on the best software, as opposed to using Lr.

Personally, I like Lightroom collections, and flag each picture with their rejects, maybes and positives off the second monitor attaached to the 60".

Keeping everything in lightroom is so beneficial to me in so many ways.
Fair points. If you can sell as well with Lr, then it is handy to keep everything together, but it really is all about the sale, so if another package allows you to make a bit more on the sales, that would more than make up for the convenience of using one product.

Out of interest, have you tried/seen Pro Select or similar and decided it doesn't offer anything over Lr?

Avoid dvd players , as they have a tendency of packing in after a while we had these a work but the company pulled then in the end as they're too unreliable . Also you need to inform the tv licence people that you have a tv but stating its use and that you don't receive a broadcast signal .

Some more progress.

Due to the re shuffle this is now the smallest of the 3 studios (despite still having the 12ft height) We decided it was a bit narrow, still a useable space but not as big as we would have liked. This will be completed and up and running first.
6994040479_b2d6a93e9b_z.jpg

The 2nd downstairs studio space. A good 1.5m wider than the other, 9ft celling height.
6847916246_d555324056_z.jpg

Front shop, Looking down towards the town Centre
6847914516_de28aeb9c0_z.jpg

Flagship Studio will be up here. Cove in the far corner there (2 windows will be sheeted). Very excited about this space.
6994036367_16098eee82_z.jpg

Under the mez looking towards the reception.
6847911978_0c782ce03a_z.jpg

Do I look worried? That'll be what working full time and spending ever other free second down here will do!
6847910146_c514bd5721_z.jpg

Moving forward with plans for fixtures and fittings, furniture and other essentials!

Just a quick question, I notice you have 6 power socket in the middle of the wall, nothing looks more untidy than wires trailing down a wall, we have 8 power sockets and 4 data sockets in the middle of a wall at work, ok 1 is hidden by a TV but the others are not and when we used them the trailing wires wasnt good. We no longer use them and rewired the office a few months ago ok using tricompartment trunking not ideal but it was ok without redecorationg or ripping the wall down. Unless you have plans for them I would reconsider putting them elsewhere.

Just a quick question, I notice you have 6 power socket in the middle of the wall, nothing looks more untidy than wires trailing down a wall, we have 8 power sockets and 4 data sockets in the middle of a wall at work, ok 1 is hidden by a TV but the others are not and when we used them the trailing wires wasnt good. We no longer use them and rewired the office a few months ago ok using tricompartment trunking not ideal but it was ok without redecorationg or ripping the wall down. Unless you have plans for them I would reconsider putting them elsewhere.

These sockets are for the Flashes 6 might be over kill But Id rather have them than not. we're also putting 4 in the celling incase we decide to roof mount anything. Keeps the sockets away from kids fingers and wires off the ground. They wont be used for appliances or anything.

Matt989 said:
For a TV that will be sitting in a shop window that would be too pricey at the sizes we're looking for. The USB idea is probably the most cost effective one.

Ok wasn't sure what they run in UK here in US 60 inches are running about $800 on sale

It looks like its coming along nicely(y)(y), i think we're all a little jelous :)

What colour is everyones studios?

White walls all round or grey?

I'm thinking 18% Grey maybe even a bit darker? 22%, with a grey celling also?

With these infinity curve and cove, whats the flooring? I'm thinking 6mm ply wood? with an edging strip then normal flooring in the non-business end?

Stevie- said:

I'm thinking 18% Grey maybe even a bit darker? 22%, with a grey celling also?

With these infinity curve and cove, whats the flooring? I'm thinking 6mm ply wood? with an edging strip then normal flooring in the non-business end?

Depends I know one of the threads on here was discussing cg backgrounds and a model shot against grey made it easier... As how they did it they overpowered the grey and the shadow carried over so it would give you extra options

Don't you have 3 studios? If so, maybe 2 grey, 1 white.
I assume the ply will be pinned down, so what will be underneath it? And as with the wall colour, what effect do you want?

The cove and curves will be white initially, this may change going forward as we like the idea of gels.

I think Stevie is asking about the non background walls and the ceiling. What shade of grey does everyone use?

My inclination is to go darker in order to control light spill, not sure what percentage that would be though.

I think Stevie is asking about the non background walls and the ceiling. What shade of grey does everyone use?

My inclination is to go darker in order to control light spill, not sure what percentage that would be though.
There's no standard, it depends so much on the size of the space. Yours are large enough that spill won't be too much of a problem, and you can concentrate more on making it look nice (more white than black). Build it first, look at where the camera, lights and subjects will be, then you'll know if reflected light is going to be an issue.

Just a quick update...Stevies been working nightshift in his 'real' job hence the lack of updates. I believe he handed his notice in today....suddenly things have become very serious!

All the focus is going to be on getting the place into order so that people can come into the rear reception area and we can use a studio and iewing room to get the business started while the rest of the building work continues in the remaining areas.

The aim will be to be operating with full paying clients in 5-6 weeks. Time to hammer the marketing.

Some updatage!

I've been nightshift and working in the studio so I'm pretty much a zombie these days!

Curve getting constructed.
6863068678_c369dcda11_z.jpg

7009185451_4ab2806923_z.jpg

7009188187_ed869c1805_z.jpg

The first (and smallest) studio space is getting there!
Its a good bit narrower than I'd have liked but we make up for it in other studios. Still a good usable space.
7009187667_508869ac59_z.jpg

Old industrial style lampshades. Will be powdercoated 'shop' colours! I love these.
7009187079_23375207b7_z.jpg

No photos tonight.

The curve is going really well, the chipboard floor is in and its starting to get plastered and made good. Very happy with Sam the builder - the boys done good!

I'm assuming a matt white paint is the way forward.

Quote for building the feature wall was astronomical so I'll be learning to brickie!

Also a slightly usual route mad be used for procuring our bricks, I'll update if we manage to pull this off.

Sofas picked and ordered, right off the shop floor so no lead times.

Virgin apparently dont do fiber optic where the unit is yet my sandstone flat 400 yards away does!? go figure. Still to sort out phone lines etc.

Really!? Be cheaper shipping one over here!

Stevie,

When I was trying to makr the decision on my TV for the studio, I took a usb stick to curry/comet and plugged it into their TV's...I turned the volume up and walked away and had a look from the viewing distance I would be using in the studio... Some of the TV's were very poor and some were fantastic...Just remember that some of the newer TV's have setting specifically for viewing images.

I tried wirelessing the images from my PC to the TV but it was a bit slow, so now I've put an HDMI lead in and the tv just mimics the desktop of the PC or I extend the desktop on the pc screen and also the TV...

With ref the software, Pro Select does it all... once you get it set up and comfortable with the running of it, it becomes a doddle ...There are other soft packages out there and I'm sure other people will tell you about them.

Bye the way it look s fantastic...put my meagre studio to shame...Good Luck with it.

Stevie,

I took a usb stick to curry/comet and plugged it into their TV's...I turned the volume up and walked away and had a look from the viewing distance I would be using in the studio

****ing Genius! Cheers!

Think we might be using Apple TV for the Viewing room and the USB deal for the window telly.

Hi Been following with interest, and first things first I wish you the very best of luck. The reason I thought I would pipe up is because of the apple tv thing.
I recently got one for streaming and showing images from an iPad. The freedom and ease of use is great, but the way the images appear on a large screen some times appear distorted. It may be the way I'm doing it and I don't use it in any professional capacity, but if it is what you are thinking of then get out to a local apple store and have a good long play with your own files. My local comet store even plugged it in the a large Samsung screen for me.
If you already have then forget the above, apart from the best of luck bit. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Terry.

My understanding of it will be that the Apple TV streams from one of the Macs and using an iPad as a controller. Obviously the image quality is key so it may come down to just hard wire plugging in a MacBook or something.

We'll need to look into booking an appointment at the apple store in Glasgow. We've just been that busy with the actual Building work I personally have no time to do anything else!

The iPad can be streamed directly to the screen through apple tv. If you stream from the mac you can download an app onto the iPad or the iPhone that makes them act as a remote. But you get a remote with the apple tv anyway.

Just subscribing guys -= Always nice to see what the local Hamilton compertition is up to lol

I take it that looks like place just down the hill from where Norma Anne used to have her studio?

Good luck

Jim

Just subscribing guys -= Always nice to see what the local Hamilton compertition is up to lol

I take it that looks like place just down the hill from where Norma Anne used to have her studio?

Good luck

Jim

We know there was someone on the other side of Tesco, not sure who though. I thought it was a guy.

You'll need to come down and see the place, the photos don't do it justice....

The iPad can be used as a remote but you will not have images streamed from the mac on the iPad.
The apple tv will allow the mac to display a slide show on the large screen. It will also allow what is on the iPad to be streamed onto the large screen. There is an option on the iPad that is called mirroring so you can scroll images on the iPad and what ever you see on the iPad screen is mirrored on to the large tv.
But in my experience the quality is poor.
I've not tried to mirror actions from the mac to the large screen but I recon a direct link and expanded desk top would be more effective.

We know there was someone on the other side of Tesco, not sure who though. I thought it was a guy.

You'll need to come down and see the place, the photos don't do it justice....

Norma-Anne Photography was there for years in the small unit just up a bit from you - that I think is now a Hairdressers. My brother got a family portrait done there many years ago before I'd even picked up a camera (in the days of film :) )

Back