Studio Build Thread

Like many others, I think your space is amazing. What a fantastic place to work.

Regarding your IT, if it were me I'd be looking down the NAS (Network Attached Storage) route. I'd say as a photography business in this digital age, you really need a central hub to store data, which is then accessed from all your other macs/pc's via Cat5e. Backup systems need to be REALLY high on your agenda too, including an offsite I'd suggest.

Might be worth sitting down (when you have 5 minutes!) to work out your 'workflow' from Capture, to Storage, to Print/Share, Backup and Archive. That way all parties know the process, making future 'issues' simple to sort out. If the two of you are both doing different things it could lead to mistakes or lost data. Not something you want with paying customers.

Just my two cents.

Good luck with the business.

There is 3 of us, and probably a number of staff once we're running full tilt.

I was thinking along the lines of a wifi or power adaptor network running off one central mac (everything will be mac).

Everything would be backed up twice and also offsite back up.

Problem is I (we) dont know enough about IT.

It's been said already I think; the problem with using a Mac as a 'hub' is that it's not what it's designed for. It'll be costly to buy one with enough storage to hold your ever growing data, and has features that won't get used. You'd be far better putting the funds towards an actual server, and use the Mac workstations as tools to edit the images, email clients etc etc, feeding them data from the server.

Re the network, wired in Cat5 will be far far better than wifi alone. Not only for speed but ease of use. Wireless can have so many performance issues I wouldn't rely on it as the sole means of sharing data amongst the business users. I think you should get some Cat5 in whilst you still can.

Last edited:
The only reason you put in a server is to manage profiles, pop in mac mini running lion server this will allow you to manage to workstations. Link to this a NAS for storage and run cat 6 throughout. no issues

Definitely, plus it's a pain in the backside plus expensive getting people back in later to install new data points.

This is where trunking comes into it's own to be honest. If you put in the big fat wide stuff the the ports and power sockets fit into then it's relatively easy to retrofit any thing or move sockets around. Standard uniform look around both stub walls and old brick walls.

I still think it's better to install the data points at the same as the other electrics but trunking does appear to be a nice retrofit solution if necessary.

I'm now thinking electrical interference if the cable is going to be pressed in with electrical and communication lines, do you reckon this could be a problem?

I still think it's better to install the data points at the same as the other electrics but trunking does appear to be a nice retrofit solution if necessary.

I'm now thinking electrical interference if the cable is going to be pressed in with electrical and communication lines, do you reckon this could be a problem?

That's why the recommendation for tri compartment trunking.

Thanks For all the IT advice. When we figure out what we're doing we'll let you know. I like the server idea myself.

We will back up probably twice on site, and an off site backup to boot.

305m of Cat 5 on site ready to get put in, will be no issues getting it in. :)

The trunking was put in to allow flexibility without having to rip out walls. Tri trunking would have been a shout though.

Some progress photos. Place is looking as much a building site as ever cos we've had to fire the scaffold up to put up the epic celling! There have been wires left to allow the fitting of a projector at a later date. the white wires are for little stage style lights to illuminate the wall. The orange wire is old style braided cable, a little detail and one that most people wont see but its cool as and we like it!

7177862026_8b2057de02_z.jpg

The cladding may well not be to everyones taste but I for one really like it and fits in so well. It will be stained the same american walnut colour as the other woodwork, a task in its-self, and will look like this.

7177860354_6c70a11a6c_z.jpg

7177859936_13dcfa09fa_z.jpg

This hides the gas box and heating piping, a much tidier way of doing it.

I painted the bollards, The neighbours ones making ours look bad! They've asked me to paint theirs on the first dry day and have offered to pay me! We were gonna paint them anyway.

7177860810_7272dab83f_z.jpg

Flooring guy was in today and has laid the studio and viewing room floors.

7177861150_c95999b4d7_z.jpg

7177861524_7af9226e4d_z.jpg

The flooring in the viewing room will be continued throughout. It's not as yellow as it looks.

After much scratching about, trying different sealants and stuff to get a solution to the painted section of the studio floor. We have located some matt scrubbable white paint (crown clean extreme) I really hope this will be a useable solution and offer some sort of protection and longevity out of painting the floor.

We almost went down the route of epoxy factory floor paint but at 136 quid was a risky punt!

Last edited:
Really is looking great and coming together. Well done guys!

The sparks fitted in a couple of hours tonight Wiring in the lights for the viewing room and a few other jobs (sockets under the desk and stuff).

Bar varnishing the woodwork this room is complete and good to go!

7190208314_48d1cc4788_z.jpg

7190208938_ffe53da177_z.jpg

I think there will be rapid progress this week. A couple of major jobs nearing completion and a few more late nights will see the wood staining and stuff all done.

Do you have a target date you are working too? Apologies if you have already said a date...

Wow! Just wow!

I love these studio build threads so thought, ok lets have a look.

Got sucked in seeing more and more then spotted Hamilton and Glasgow mentioned ... more interested.

Then I saw the outdoor shot and thought "jesus! I used to work opposite that" back when it was XS Motorsport (I did marketing and internet stuff).

This is amazing and so exciting for me as I live close by - would love to pop over and check things out.

If you are needing a hand with anything I can help with just let me know too (web, marketing, design, video - you obviously have the photography side of things fully covered).

Well done again to all involved!

Rikki

Wow! Just wow!

I love these studio build threads so thought, ok lets have a look.

Got sucked in seeing more and more then spotted Hamilton and Glasgow mentioned ... more interested.

Then I saw the outdoor shot and thought "jesus! I used to work opposite that" back when it was XS Motorsport (I did marketing and internet stuff).

This is amazing and so exciting for me as I live close by - would love to pop over and check things out.

If you are needing a hand with anything I can help with just let me know too (web, marketing, design, video - you obviously have the photography side of things fully covered).

Well done again to all involved!

Rikki

Hey Rikki was having a squint at your web site, doesn't seem to work - Just directs me to email you? Facebook is not working either

Last edited:
Rikki, I was even in XS when it was across the road. We should be some form of open by next week so feel free to drop in.

I am actually dead on my feet. Its a proper push to get finished and opened now.

The majority and worst of the celling is up and mostly stained

7198649366_3da054bf09_z.jpg

All the cat 5 for the awkward parts of the building has been pulled with a draw wire left for any additions so the celling can get put up and lights wired. As soon as its done and the big wall painted for the last time the scaffold can be punted and the floor laid.

Soon to be marketing-marketing-marketing!

Get in line sunshine lol.

Out of interest will you be offering hire outs for other photographers at all? Would beat a trip to Bent Brae, contrast or fast pix.

Last time I think it was in the region of £15-20 p/h last time I used them. Not exactly going to impress the bank manager but a decent tick over amount when their studios arent choca and means an extra £100 coming in to pay overheads for a 5 hour stint during the week when they are doing other office based work.

Lol. Fair comment I just went to find the thread you are on about.

A lot can be said on both sides, Ive probably got about 10k sitting in camera bodies, lenses and accessories and could recoup by renting out their use ... But I wouldn't want to.

Hope you didn't find my question rude, I didn't mean it that way I was just utterly impressed with what you have built and created I was wondering if down the line I'd be able to cross your palm with silver to avoid driving into Glasgow for some newspaper/magazine assignments.

Rikki there's a studio in Blantyre if that is closer

Didn't know that. I've never really looked for one before and it's been a while since I needed one. Where abouts in Lanarkshire are you based JD If you don't mind me asking.

Matt989 said:
Probably not, although never say never.

What do bent brae and the likes charge....more to the point, what would you be willing to pay?

Bent brae should be £10 per hour and I think contrast is £15 iirc. Most photographers in Glasgow etc use both or know con or Derek personally. However, this means you can spot pics shot in either a mile off.

Nothing to say you can't be very selective in you're hiring. Plus without sounding pikey it's basically cash in hand while you do processing. Derek at bent brae also does teaching in the studio if you ask so thats another revenue stream.

Didn't know that. I've never really looked for one before and it's been a while since I needed one. Where abouts in Lanarkshire are you based JD If you don't mind me asking.

I live in Hamilton (well Blantyre really lol) The studio I mentioned isn't mine though)

Where are you?

Yes she's at the bottom of my hill. I'm in Westcraigs.

Last edited:
I think general discussion amongst ourselves tends towards getting involved in the tuition side of things.

Obviously we would really need to get up to speed on the details of things and be able to present that in a way that people could learn from but I reckon its a decent revenue stream.

Will get some pics up tomorrow. There should be a change worth seeing.

I'm tempted to refrain from putting up anymore photos until its complete though. A grand unveiling and all that.

Could really do with a 16-35 to get proper interior shots thought. the 24-70 just isn't wide enough!

Back