Talk to me about editing on an iPad Pro

Put the SD card into the card reader and plug that into the connector kit. Run the Files app, tap Browse, and plug the connector kit into the iPad. A new entry should appear in the Locations pane. Tap that and you should see the photo files. Select the ones you want to copy, tap More, then Copy. Go back to the Locations pane and navigate to the location where you want to save the files. Scroll to the empty space at the bottom of the list, long-press, then tap Paste.

”Brilliant” (y) I’m afraid I’ll just have to ask you about iPads in future. I’m still trying trying to work out what the gestures do on mine (2017 12.9 iPad pro) I’ve somehow managed to get another button that shows on every screen on mine that when I tap it all sorts of things open. One of them is gestures and when I tap that I either get 2, 3, 4, or 5, rings. Great but what the hell do I do with them ?. I’ve played numerous vid’s etc and even bought a mag/book on iPad OS but nothing has mentioned them.

George.

Last edited:
That sounds like the button you get if you enable mouse mode in the Accessibility settings. I suggest you search YouTube for "how to use a mouse with the iPad". As for the rings, I don't recognise your description, Could you take a screen capture (press the on/off button and a volume button quickly) and post it here?

Put the SD card into the card reader and plug that into the connector kit. Run the Files app, tap Browse, and plug the connector kit into the iPad. A new entry should appear in the Locations pane. Tap that and you should see the photo files. Select the ones you want to copy, tap More, then Copy. Go back to the Locations pane and navigate to the location where you want to save the files. Scroll to the empty space at the bottom of the list, long-press, then tap Paste.

Hi, only just had chance to try this....followed the process and the photo app opens automatically and ask which files I wish to import.....can’t see anything at all coming up in the files / browse section.....is there something I need to do in settings..? Thanks again...[emoji106]

That sounds like the button you get if you enable mouse mode in the Accessibility settings. I suggest you search YouTube for "how to use a mouse with the iPad". As for the rings, I don't recognise your description, Could you take a screen capture (press the on/off button and a volume button quickly) and post it here?

Many thanks for that Gary, Sorry for not getting back to you earlier I’ve only just seen your reply. I’ve been into the Apple store at Covent Garden today (anniversary day out in London) and the guy in there kinda explained about it, its all something to do with accessibility & gestures etc so when I get back I’ll give it a go and try and report my findings.

George.

Hi, only just had chance to try this....followed the process and the photo app opens automatically and ask which files I wish to import.....can’t see anything at all coming up in the files / browse section.....is there something I need to do in settings..? Thanks again...[emoji106]

I don't know, sorry. When I do it, if the Photos app is open, the word Import appears at the bottom right, and clicking it allows me to import JPEGs. If the Files app is open, I get a new entry in the Browse list. Has your SD card got a name? I don't mean the make, I mean a volume name. If not, that might be why the Files app doesn't see it.

I don't know, sorry. When I do it, if the Photos app is open, the word Import appears at the bottom right, and clicking it allows me to import JPEGs. If the Files app is open, I get a new entry in the Browse list. Has your SD card got a name? I don't mean the make, I mean a volume name. If not, that might be why the Files app doesn't see it.

Hi...re named the SD card and updated my IOS and working fine.....thanks for the advice...

@garryknight
Hi Gary, finally managed to do screen shots of my iPad pro and how to reduce them in size to post. The first one is what I get if I tap the button we were talking about. Then if I tap the gestures button I get the second screen. And in turn if I tap one of the hand symbols I get either 2, 3, 4, or 5, buttons respectfully. Its after that I cannot work out what they do, I’m guessing that what you suggested about using a mouse is probably correct.

063201B8-AA3C-4D6B-A9A9-C0743D9BB2A1.jpeg4B102724-AAFB-4C65-8A2D-66CA85528445.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, George, that's the AssistiveTouch part of the Accessibility settings. You can just go in there and turn that off if you don't want it.

If you run the Books app you can search for the manual for your iPhone. It could be useful to have in situations like this, but only if you know what the feature is called. Or you can look at the iPhone User Guide. The section on AssistiveTouch is here.

Better still, since the User Guide doesn't show what the icons look like, check out this guide to using AssistiveTouch at the excellent iMore site.

Yes, George, that's the AssistiveTouch part of the Accessibility settings. You can just go in there and turn that off if you don't want it.

If you run the Books app you can search for the manual for your iPhone. It could be useful to have in situations like this, but only if you know what the feature is called. Or you can look at the iPhone User Guide. The section on AssistiveTouch is here.

Better still, since the User Guide doesn't show what the icons look like, check out this guide to using AssistiveTouch at the excellent iMore site.

Thank you so much for that Gary, it really is much appreciated.(y)

George.

Just received and tried a “Microsoft Surface Wedge” bluetooth mouse to use with my iPad pro (2017 2nd edition) and it works a treat. Instant pairing and only about 15 bucks from fleabay. “RESULT”. :):)

George.

Anyone use a third party pencil, thinking of the 11in iPad Pro, but would be pushed to find the extra £120 on a pencil.

Anyone use a third party pencil, thinking of the 11in iPad Pro, but would be pushed to find the extra £120 on a pencil.

Also very interested in this. I know third party capacative styli will work but they don't have palm rejection so how useful they'd be I'm not sure. I would absolutely use the Apple Pencil for photo editing but £120 for it is nuts.

Steve, this may or may not help.

My wife & I both have 2017 iPad Pros (second edition), and I use the "Apple Pencil" and she uses a "Third Party Capacative Styli" which I have tried using several times. I'm unable at the moment to let you know what model it is she uses as she's at home in the US and I'm here in the UK for a while and at the moment I can't contact her. My honest opinion would be to try and stretch to the "Apple Pencil", as the one my wife uses is O.K for type etc but dreadful for any intricate work such as photo editing. There is quite a bit of latency with hers and it feels very unresponsive compared to the Apple unit.

The later pencil (for third edition) which you would need is even better than the one I have with more facilities etc, I have tried this in the Apple store at Covent Garden and it is very good indeed.

One other thing you may not know is there's a new iPad Pro in the pipeline (which I'm hanging on for) with three cameras etc similar to the iPhone 11. I have seen a prototype model of this in the States and it looks to be even more powerful than the current 2018 edition, I honestly don't know if the current pencil will be the one for this new unit, just food for thought.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Steve, this may or may not help.

My wife & I both have 2017 iPad Pros (second edition), and I use the "Apple Pencil" and she uses a "Third Party Capacative Styli" which I have tried using several times. I'm unable at the moment to let you know what model it is she uses as she's at home in the US and I'm here in the UK for a while and at the moment I can't contact her. My honest opinion would be to try and stretch to the "Apple Pencil", as the one my wife uses is O.K for type etc but dreadful for any intricate work such as photo editing. There is quite a bit of latency with hers and it feels very unresponsive compared to the Apple unit.

The later pencil (for third edition) which you would need is even better than the one I have with more facilities etc, I have tried this in the Apple store at Covent Garden and it is very good indeed.

One other thing you may not know is there's a new iPad Pro in the pipeline (which I'm hanging on for) with three cameras etc similar to the iPhone 11. I have seen a prototype model of this in the States and it looks to be even more powerful than the current 2018 edition, I honestly don't know if the current pencil will be the one for this new unit, just food for thought.

Hope this helps.,

George.
Thanks for that George, helpful as ever.

I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy the apple one.

Thanks for that George, helpful as ever.

I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy the apple one.

In my honest opinion matey, a wise decision.

George.

Just picked one up from Amazon warehouse deal for £95. More than I wanted to pay for a stylus but at least I know it'll be the best for the iPad

That’s a positive “RESULT” in my book matey, “ENJOY” (y):)

George.

Arggggghhhhh DPD let me down, iPad should have come today but parcel still on its way to the hub, 12 hours after it was sent!! Hopefully here tomorrow unless its lost in the system.

Those on here who use Lightroom on their iPad, do you subscribe to CC or just use the freebie version? Also, if not Lightroom then what? Was hoping to be up and running by now, but unfortunately, DPD still have my iPad :(

Those on here who use Lightroom on their iPad, do you subscribe to CC or just use the freebie version? Also, if not Lightroom then what? Was hoping to be up and running by now, but unfortunately, DPD still have my iPad :(
I use Lightroom CC on here for all the edits

Steve, I use the freebie version of Lightroom on my iPad and find it very good indeed, its nowhere near as full featured as the full version I used to use on my PC but it does do everything and more than anything I did using the old full version, so perfectly good enough for my work.

Having said that the reason I use it for my RAW part of PP is that I still do & prefer to to shoot my Fuji images in compressed RAW and then convert them to DNG files. My main software on the iPad is “Affinity Photo” which will not accept Fuji compressed DNG files without opening them with a really strong magenta cast, it will only open the Fuji RAW files uncompressed and in their native format correctly, which is not how I want to shoot them.

After doing the RAW part of my PP in the freebie version of Lightroom I then open them as a JPEG in Affinity Photo which is extremely good in my honest opinion and easily up to anything I’ve ever wanted to do in PS.

Of course if your not shooting Fuji, then this problem wouldn’t exist so all of your work including the RAW part of your PP could be done in Affinity Photo. There is also an “Extremely Good” instructional course that I use for Affinity Photo (mobile version) from “Udemy”, and if you did decide to go down that route I would thoroughly recommend it.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Last edited:
I use the freebie version, but only for adding titles, captions, and keywords. For my purposes, Snapseed is better and more fully-featured. But I've also used Affinity Photo and Pixelmator in the past.

Yes I forgot to mention “Snapseed” which I also use and is extremely good.

George.

Affinity Photo on the iPad looks pretty decent. At only £20 it could be a good choice.

Affinity Photo on the iPad looks pretty decent. At only £20 it could be a good choice.

Affinity Photo is "Excellent" and a very good replacement for Photoshop. There's also loads of tutorials etc on You Tube.

George.

Snapseed has its problems, though. Since the last update, if I click Open, then use 'Open from device' to go to one of my albums and then click a photo, rather than loading it into the main editing window it brings that photo up in the same small window you use to pick a photo, and with the caption FullSizeRender.jpg. So I have to use the row of thumbnails at the top and scroll through countless photos to get the one I want. This is on my iPad Air 3, though it works fine on the iPhone. Has anyone else seen this, or is it just me?

EDIT Aha! Uninstalling and reinstalling seems to have fixed the problem. But this one remains:

I couldn't find a way to create a QR code for a preset I'd made, in order to copy it over to my iPad, as I have done with previous phones and tablets. Is this an Android-only feature, does anyone know?

Last edited:
Snapseed has its problems, though. Since the last update, if I click Open, then use 'Open from device' to go to one of my albums and then click a photo, rather than loading it into the main editing window it brings that photo up in the same small window you use to pick a photo, and with the caption FullSizeRender.jpg. So I have to use the row of thumbnails at the top and scroll through countless photos to get the one I want. This is on my iPad Air 3, though it works fine on the iPhone. Has anyone else seen this, or is it just me?

EDIT Aha! Uninstalling and reinstalling seems to have fixed the problem. But this one remains:

I couldn't find a way to create a QR code for a preset I'd made, in order to copy it over to my iPad, as I have done with previous phones and tablets. Is this an Android-only feature, does anyone know?

Gary, I was having the same problems with my iPad pro (series two 2017 model) with regards to opening a file in Snapseed and have also been playing about with a work around. Just uninstalled and reinstalled Snapseed and all seems to be just fine now.

As for creating a QR code, I honestly wouldn’t know where to start or that you could do such a thing, so sorry I can’t help you there.

George.

Thanks for your reply, George. Glad your Snapseed is working OK.

I just checked Snapseed on my Android phone and it seems that the ability to share presets with a QR code isn't in there, either. No idea why they removed it, though.

Edit
They didn't remove it. They moved it. I should have done a search before posting (internet equivalent of brain before mouth) as I found this:

http://jnack.com/blog/2017/03/07/bi...hare-presets-structure-in-selective-and-more/

A comment below the article explains how to get to the feature. You open a photo, click the stacks icon, and 'QR look' is at the bottom. I overlooked it because I go in there to use 'View edits'.

Last edited:
I'm also using an iPad Pro 12.9 for PP, I like it a lot, however still got a few cons:
-You are forced to import into Photos (could be a bit messy - mixing with your "normal" photos)
-Another option is to use some shared place (NAS), but then it makes it hard to "browse" (slowly loading preview tiles) in case of RAW files.

I'm still trying to find the perfect workflow, but I already switched from pc apps to Ipad. It just make much more easier to edit for me.

-You are forced to import into Photos (could be a bit messy - mixing with your "normal" photos)

If you're running iPad OS you don't have to do that anymore. Just create a folder in the Files app (I have one called RAW Import), put your files there and then you can import to Lightroom. An update to Lightroom in early 2020 will allow you to import directly from an SD card or other external storage device

Have you tried this approach? I remember I had issue while trying to import it into (copy / paste) into a folder under OneDrive. It stuck and couldn’t get rid of the partially imported files. Wondering if its different if you import directly into in iPad folder OR iCloud folder.

Back