TalkPhotography™ Day 2012

Sent mine in on the 19th and have had no confirmation from the same address, checked my spam filter and nothing there.

Just a little reminder that we are getting very close to the deadline for having your TPD2012 photo in the slide show and photobook :D so please get your e mails sent on over (y)

Submissions Email Address for Full Res Versions: tpday12(at)talkphotography.co.uk

Just a quick update spoke to Matt (Smooth) and has said he will publish a list so you can check that your entry as been received (y)(y)(y) So dont worry if your wondering it got there or not :)

According to my email provider my entry has been sent and not bounced back so will just assume it has been received. :)

According to my email provider my entry has been sent and not bounced back so will just assume it has been received. :)

That's the same for me, my files came to a total of 16.4mb is this to large?
I sent them last night at 23:25.

Weldingblues said:
That's the same for me, my files came to a total of 16.4mb is this to large?
I sent them last night at 23:25.

That should be fine (y) but how many files? You only need to provide you TPD photo (y) in hi res :)

It's a bit of a poor show when only 115 members out of a total forum membership of just over 50000 can be bothered to take part in this:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
It's a bit of a poor show when only 115 members out of a total forum membership of just over 50000 can be bothered to take part in this:thumbsdown:

I'll be honest and say I was somewhat disappointed with that figure also :( WE as a community need to do better, the same could be said about TPCon2012 A number of people Darren in particular put a lot of work into that weekend and the attendance just wasn't good enough :(

I've been a bit remiss this year myself, I've not organised as many TP meets as I did last year, this is mainly down to my own personal life which has been more than a little rough in 2012 :(

I'll be honest and say I was somewhat disappointed with that figure also :( WE as a community need to do better, the same could be said about TPCon2012 A number of people Darren in particular put a lot of work into that weekend and the attendance just wasn't good enough :(

I've been a bit remiss this year myself, I've not organised as many TP meets as I did last year, this is mainly down to my own personal life which has been more than a little rough in 2012 :(

I'm surprised at the TP Day numbers too.
But patience....
The word will spread.

For me, it was a fun little project and I'll be looking forward to next year (y)

As for TP Con - apart from meeting a load of you (which I'd love to do), the talks and workshops were heavily based on studio photography and there wasn't really anything that appealed to me.
A formulae that I've seen work at other types of conference is to have smaller sessions running simultaneously so a diverse range of subjects can be covered. Testing lenses? Website SEO? How to critique? Why is Scotland so special? Perfect prints? etc...
Also good to have a post workshop talking point - how about a mid-evening wire wool demo?

I think it was good that 117 members had a good TP Day again, it is a shame more didnt take part, cant wait to see the slideshow

The TP Conv I really6 wanted to go to the last one but as for the first one we were on holiday or due to go on holiday as this time I could have made 1 day but I had to finish packing Darren and everyone put a lot of work into it and I wish I could have been there to share the fab weekend, heres hoping for the next one :)

DuncanDisorderly said:
I'm surprised at the TP Day numbers too.
But patience....
The word will spread.

For me, it was a fun little project and I'll be looking forward to next year (y)

As for TP Con - apart from meeting a load of you (which I'd love to do), the talks and workshops were heavily based on studio photography and there wasn't really anything that appealed to me.
A formulae that I've seen work at other types of conference is to have smaller sessions running simultaneously so a diverse range of subjects can be covered. Testing lenses? Website SEO? How to critique? Why is Scotland so special? Perfect prints? etc...
Also good to have a post workshop talking point - how about a mid-evening wire wool demo?

It would have been really good to be able to cover more subjects, personally the one that most interesting to me was the Lee Filters Talk, we did have a wire wool session ;)

Just Dave said:
I think it was good that 117 members had a good TP Day again, it is a shame more didnt take part, cant wait to see the slideshow

The TP Conv I really6 wanted to go to the last one but as for the first one we were on holiday or due to go on holiday as this time I could have made 1 day but I had to finish packing Darren and everyone put a lot of work into it and I wish I could have been there to share the fab weekend, heres hoping for the next one :)

That was just poor holiday planning on you part :naughty:

I know that of the 50000 members on this forum a large proportion might have registered and used and used the forum for a few months and never came back but it can't be as much as 50% can it? Even at that there should be 25000 active members and 115 of them bothering with TP day is only 0.46%! At lunch time today there was 252 forum members online which is over twice as many as submitted a photo, what was stopping them all doing it?

Rant over!

phil_b said:
I know that of the 50000 members on this forum a large proportion might have registered and used and used the forum for a few months and never came back but it can't be as much as 50% can it? Even at that there should be 25000 active members and 115 of them bothering with TP day is only 0.46%! At lunch time today there was 252 forum members online which is over twice as many as submitted a photo, what was stopping them all doing it?

Rant over!

There are if I remember approx 7,000 active members, I believe active is defined as having logged in to the forum in the last 30 days :thinking:

Matt and Dave you have plugged TP day to the max and you have both done a commendable job despite the lack of uptake.

Credit to you guys (y)

We did our best Matt, couldnt do more than we did really,

And LOL to your holiday comment

It dosn't stop me being a little disappointed especially since there were over 150 images in the thread :shake:

Matt and Dave you have plugged TP day to the max and you have both done a commendable job despite the lack of uptake.

Credit to you guys (y)

Thanks (y) as Dave rightly says though we must also include Pete and of course Matt (Smooth) in that number too (y)

MWHCVT said:
It dosn't stop me being a little disappointed especially since there were over 150 images in the thread :shake:

Thanks (y) as Dave rightly says though we must also include Pete and of course Matt (Smooth) in that number too (y)

(y) to Pete and smooth too
Irrespective of the low turn out I'm still looking forward to seeing the slide show

Maybe some just havent sent theirs yet then, maybe we should have a look and see who hasnt and PM them reminding them to send them in

Worth a shot, some people may have tried to send it, but it may have gotten lost somewhere along the lines.

I think I have a good enough excuse. I'm not sure but I think I was still in hospital recovering from open brain surgery - in fact, I'm sure I was - I was admitted on the 31st August and released 13 days later!

I'm told that I'm not allowed to be ill again (at least, not to hospitalisation!) for quite a while (I ended up back in with a pneumonia late last month!) becaue my wife's getting a little frazzled! So, next year, I will be able to participate. I'll have a check to see if any of the healing photos were taken on the 9th but I don't think they were.

Compared to a month or so ago, I'm doing really well! SO much better than I was before the op, it's unreal! Finished the antibiotics against the pneumonia now, so need to rebuild my gut fauna (drink a couple of Actimels!).

As it happens, I did take a self portrait with a camera phone of my face at its worst, so have entered it! 640x480 px is top resolution but does mean no resizing for forum use! Have e-mailed it for inclusion. Not yet added it to the entry thread - will have to pop it into my gallery first.

I think I have a good enough excuse. I'm not sure but I think I was still in hospital recovering from open brain surgery - in fact, I'm sure I was - I was admitted on the 31st August and released 13 days later!

I'm told that I'm not allowed to be ill again (at least, not to hospitalisation!) for quite a while (I ended up back in with a pneumonia late last month!) becaue my wife's getting a little frazzled! So, next year, I will be able to participate. I'll have a check to see if any of the healing photos were taken on the 9th but I don't think they were.

Oh sorry to hear that, I had no idea you werent well, hope your OK, must have been a distressing time for you and your family :hug: Baz was in hospital that day and posted a shot of his broken leg on TP day, lets hope you have a shot, but we will let you off if youve not, only this once mind,

Nod said:
Compared to a month or so ago, I'm doing really well! SO much better than I was before the op, it's unreal! Finished the antibiotics against the pneumonia now, so need to rebuild my gut fauna (drink a couple of Actimels!).

As it happens, I did take a self portrait with a camera phone of my face at its worst, so have entered it! 640x480 px is top resolution but does mean no resizing for forum use! Have e-mailed it for inclusion. Not yet added it to the entry thread - will have to pop it into my gallery first.

Nice one glad your feeling better :) it must be a record year, three TPD photos taken from the hospital bed :eek:

Thanks for the good wishes. There's a thread somewhere in the bowels of OOF praising the NHS - that tells the story but basically, I've been going downhill for a year or more and it turned out to be a meningioma - in my case, one on the Dura (a membrane surrounding the brain) which was pressing on my brain, causing all sorts of problems. An investigative MRI scan showed it up and that evening, I was whipped down the A38 to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth and operated on 6 days later where the whipped my forehead down over my nose, hacked out a triangle of my skull, excised the tumour and (in Mr Haynes's best fashion) reassembled me in the reverse order! Unfortunately, being laid up for 2 weeks left me with a chest infection that turned into a pneumonia, so I was back in for a few days a fortnight or so after I was released from Plymouth!

Not allowed to be ill again, EVER!

Glad to know you're alright Nod and good to see that, whilst you were in theatre, they were able to do that Lamp Graft that you wanted. (y)

:coat:

Thanks for the good wishes. There's a thread somewhere in the bowels of OOF praising the NHS - that tells the story but basically, I've been going downhill for a year or more and it turned out to be a meningioma - in my case, one on the Dura (a membrane surrounding the brain) which was pressing on my brain, causing all sorts of problems. An investigative MRI scan showed it up and that evening, I was whipped down the A38 to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth and operated on 6 days later where the whipped my forehead down over my nose, hacked out a triangle of my skull, excised the tumour and (in Mr Haynes's best fashion) reassembled me in the reverse order! Unfortunately, being laid up for 2 weeks left me with a chest infection that turned into a pneumonia, so I was back in for a few days a fortnight or so after I was released from Plymouth!

Not allowed to be ill again, EVER!

Christ, you are making me feel faint! :eek:
Glad you are doing better now, sounds like you have been through a lot recently. Hope you recover 100% and you don't get worse again. All the best :)

I was whipped down the A38 to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth and operated on 6 days later where the whipped my forehead down over my nose, hacked out a triangle of my skull, excised the tumour and (in Mr Haynes's best fashion) reassembled me in the reverse order! Unfortunately, being laid up for 2 weeks left me with a chest infection that turned into a pneumonia, so I was back in for a few days a fortnight or so after I was released from Plymouth!
:eek: ouch! Wishing you continued speedy recovery after all that! I had a really small pneumonia in March and I was very ill for three weeks, I couldn't imagine having it on top of recovering from major surgery!

Finished the antibiotics against the pneumonia now, so need to rebuild my gut fauna (drink a couple of Actimels!)..
I used these after my gut destroying multiple doses of antibiotics were finished!

Back