Tattoos - discussion.....

lawrie29

Balloons! Yay!
Name
Lawrie
Edit My Images
Yes
Are Tattoos things that boring people get to try and make themselves more interesting?

;)

I just fancy a discussion about it. There are a few tattoo threads on here, the "whose got ink" and "any tog tattoos" etc, but never really seen one on the subject itself.

You often see people with tattoos saying I got this to remind me of XYZ, but surely if it is something that is that important to you, you dont need it written on you so you don't forget.

I enjoy watching the INK tv series, and think that some do look good, but it is not something I would want to have myself.

I guess I am trolling a little, but nothing wrong with debate.

Last edited:
I have 9 tattoos so must be extra boring:D

To me they are just a different way of expressing who we are, makes us slightly different to everyone else.

DF is very proud of his Hello Kitty tattoo

You often see people with tattoos saying I got this to remind me of XYZ, but surely if it is something that is that important to you, you dont need it written on you so you don't forget.

There are many ways of people expressing themselves, whether it be tattoos or photography. It's not about forgetting it, its about expressing it to others and doing so in a different way.

Some people have tats just for the art, and it has no meaning.

I enjoy watching the INK tv series, and think that some do look good, but it is not something I would want to have myself.
And that is why you will never fully understand it :)

i have a couple of tattoo's,

some for personal reasons to me, one just because i wanted one haha

i suppose its just like dying your hair, or getting your ears pierced, purely personal choice

I got most of mine during my early teens, after my parents marriage break up we were forced into living on the roughest of council estates, i got into all sorts of trouble with the law after mixing with what you might call "a bad lot" i got involved in some pretty extreme violence and other sorts of stuff im not proud of, the tats are the home made variety and include gang markings on my left hand, the stuff on my arms have been covered up with other tats.

The gang markings ive never done anything about covering up as they always act as a reminder of where i came from and where i dont want to return to, those times and the tats also remind me whats the most important thing in the world, family.

The tats are something i regret immensley but in a strange way it was something i had to do to fit in at the time or i would have been eaten alive by the others

First one went on in 1973 at the age of 13, last one at 19, 32 years since my last tattoo and 32 years being one of the good guys.

There are many ways of people expressing themselves, whether it be tattoos or photography. It's not about forgetting it, its about expressing it to others and doing so in a different way.

Some people have tats just for the art, and it has no meaning.

And that is why you will never fully understand it :)

I'm just trying to understand it, and trying to see what others points of view , pro or con, are?

I'm not having a go at people who have them, or outright saying that people are boring, but there must be a certain amount of that with some people, surely?

I got most of mine during my early teens, after my parents marriage break up we were forced into living on the roughest of council estates, i got into all sorts of trouble with the law after mixing with what you might call "a bad lot" i got involved in some pretty extreme violence and other sorts of stuff im not proud of, the tats are the home made variety and include gang markings on my left hand, the stuff on my arms have been covered up with other tats.

The gang markings ive never done anything about covering up as they always act as a reminder of where i came from and where i dont want to return to, those times and the tats also remind me whats the most important thing in the world, family.

The tats are something i regret immensley but in a strange way it was something i had to do to fit in at the time or i would have been eaten alive by the others

First one went on in 1973 at the age of 13, last one at 19, 32 years since my last tattoo and 32 years being one of the good guys.

I can understand why you had them and why you would not want to cover them up.

I guess some of it does come from the upbringing I had. But my main memory of tattoos when I was younger was in the changing rooms of the swimming pool, when a fat bloke had loads of tattoos, including one of a naked lady, with her legs open and his belly button carefully placed at the top of her legs. Having seen that horrific sight, it does leave a bit of a mental scar.:LOL:

I have 9 tattoos so must be extra boring:D

To me they are just a different way of expressing who we are, makes us slightly different to everyone else.

But does it? So many more people have them now, I almost feel more individual by not having anything drawn/written on me.

I'm just trying to understand it, and trying to see what others points of view , pro or con, are?

I'm not having a go at people who have them, or outright saying that people are boring, but there must be a certain amount of that with some people, surely?

theres ways of asking and your original question without the above explanation was just plain trolling IMHO

however with the explanation..

Bit like Gary really.. t'was the done thing where i lived and I am so glad I didn't go the whole hog.. I ahve mates with tattoos on the head which would show up now I am bald :) some have em on necks as well as hands... mine are arms only covered with a shirt... i was 17 and 18 when i got them done..

Just like many tattoos, my question was designed to provoke a reaction. Did not deny the trolling at all!

I guess some of it does come from the upbringing I had. But my main memory of tattoos when I was younger was in the changing rooms of the swimming pool, when a fat bloke had loads of tattoos, including one of a naked lady, with her legs open and his belly button carefully placed at the top of her legs. Having seen that horrific sight, it does leave a bit of a mental scar.:LOL:

I have a naked lady in full colour from my shoulder to my elbow... breasts like rhino horns :) Cost me 6 quid.. probably a couple of hundred quid now..

I've got two tats, I didn't get them for any reason apart from that I wanted them, and I got them because they mean something to me - I don't really care what anyone else thinks :D

I spent nearly ten years deciding on my first one, and booked the second a week after the first one...

My wife is also tattoo'd, for the same reasons as me (apart from one from when she was 18 or so which she wants covering up)

I don't have anything that can't be covered up, as I do think it might harm career prospects in the future though :)

But does it? So many more people have them now, I almost feel more individual by not having anything drawn/written on me.

Tattooing is one of the oldest art forms known to man. worn by many cultures for many reasons. Yes its popular now more so than ever before. It all depends on what you want your tattoos for. we no longer have the warrior war paint tattoo'd as in the past but for personal reasons or as stated gang reasons etc etc.

personally I have tattoos for personal reasons and some throw back romanticism to a time long forgotten. From my sons name, for a child lost to an old tribal warriors face pant (tattoo'd on uper arm) and even things I had done at a said point in my life which acts as a memory not done in memory.
3392448772_2b76eb3e0e.jpg

society has usually had a dim view on tattoos due to the resent history making people believe only criminals or service personal have them.

make your mind up as you like, tattoos can be done in regret or for passion either way they will be going in to people skin for as long as we live.

Last edited:
People who don't have will never understand reasons behind tattoos (I think they're cool ),they might think they do but they don't .

Just to let you know ,I don't have a tattoo a few of my friends do though .

Sent from my HTC Desire using TP Forums

2 for me and 2 for the mrs's 1 being last year and i think more to come.

Only thing i can say being a man is "GOD IT HURT" LOL

Seriously though they are very personal and you can only understand them if you decide to get 1

On a scale of 1to10 how much do they hurt ,and for how long .

wish I didn't have to work tomorrow

Depends where you get them...

Some places really hurt, other places are just uncomfortable... Depends on your pain threshold as well :)

add to that everyone is differnet, I was a skiny lad when had most of mine done, had needles blunt out on ribs, and had wrist bones hit, all things my tattooist has had big 'hard guys' as he put it faint or stop at, didn't fuss me other than some brusing from ribs being hit (I was under weight by some what - skin and bone)

:plus1:
Depends where you get them...

Some places really hurt, other places are just uncomfortable... Depends on your pain threshold as well :)

My elbow/ankle (bone!), hurt a tad...:crying:

The one on my lower back tingled slightly :runaway:

And the one inside my lower lip was just a gas...:)

I've only had two (upper arm, didn't really hurt much) and my inside forearm, which just hurt a touch :eek:, the bit right at the wrist was worst!

The wife has her foot done, right down to the top of the big toe (which she said was agony) - She couldn't walk on it for three days!

Inside lip? Ouch!

I'm actually looking for a tattooist at the moment. I have my design chosen but I am very picky with choosing the artist for this one. I got my first tattoo when I was 18 and wish I had chosen better because its just a pattern. This time, I know how I want it, where I want it etc... I also very much have the opinion of its my body and I'll do what I want with it. If someone thinks I'm boring because I do or don't have a tattoo...well I really couldn't care less nowadays :D

I'm actually looking for a tattooist at the moment. I have my design chosen but I am very picky with choosing the artist for this one. I got my first tattoo when I was 18 and wish I had chosen better because its just a pattern. This time, I know how I want it, where I want it etc... I also very much have the opinion of its my body and I'll do what I want with it. If someone thinks I'm boring because I do or don't have a tattoo...well I really couldn't care less nowadays :D

I can recommend one if you fancy travelling to Yorkshire to get it done :D

I have 2, getting my next one next month. I am in my 30's, first one was done in my 30's and I will continue to get them done, Of the 2 I have, one is a skateboarding related piece and the other is a tribute to my grandmother.

They are personal. They mark significant things in my life and things that make me the person i am. My next one is a record player to represent how music has played a key point in my life. Without it I would have been a different person. I am making one arm a series of points on my journey through life. The other arm I am having a half sleeve (down to elbow) of the owl and the pussycat. Several reasons. My favourite poem of all time, the first (and only really) thing i can remember my dad reading to me and the reading I had at my wedding. It is very personal to me.

I dont care if people don;t like my tattoos, Some of my friends laugh at a 30 year old man having the words "Skate and Destroy" tattooed on his arm in a hard to read font. I don't care. I lived my life by those words for a long time, and in many ways still do!

The piece for my grandmother is based on her favourite things birds and flowers, and a phrase she told me when she was dying. "Never Regret" I have the on my skin now, not because of some attempt to be "Crazy" or "Less Boring" but because when I get down, when I worry myself over things or my depressive tendencies kick in, I can look at my arm and remember those words and the woman who helped shape me.

You think that's soppy I don't care, you judge me purely because of them, you are a person I would not want to know.

I have 2, getting my next one next month. I am in my 30's, first one was done in my 30's and I will continue to get them done, Of the 2 I have, one is a skateboarding related piece and the other is a tribute to my grandmother.

They are personal. They mark significant things in my life and things that make me the person i am. My next one is a record player to represent how music has played a key point in my life. Without it I would have been a different person. I am making one arm a series of points on my journey through life. The other arm I am having a half sleeve (down to elbow) of the owl and the pussycat. Several reasons. My favourite poem of all time, the first (and only really) thing i can remember my dad reading to me and the reading I had at my wedding. It is very personal to me.

I dont care if people don;t like my tattoos, Some of my friends laugh at a 30 year old man having the words "Skate and Destroy" tattooed on his arm in a hard to read font. I don't care. I lived my life by those words for a long time, and in many ways still do!

The piece for my grandmother is based on her favourite things birds and flowers, and a phrase she told me when she was dying. "Never Regret" I have the on my skin now, not because of some attempt to be "Crazy" or "Less Boring" but because when I get down, when I worry myself over things or my depressive tendencies kick in, I can look at my arm and remember those words and the woman who helped shape me.

You think that's soppy I don't care, you judge me purely because of them, you are a person I would not want to know.

I'm not judging, I know too many wierd people to judge on image! i'm just curious as to reasons and to what people think.

Interesting that it is people who have tattoos, or want them, that are posting.

I have 9 tattoos so far and all but 2 of them have no meaning or reason for them other than I simply liked the design of them.

The 2 that have meaning are my sons name going from my elbow to my wrist, and his date of birth on the back of my neck just below the collar line.

One of the other tattoos I have is my own name done in a graffiti art style. A lot of my friends asked me why I had my own name and not my other half. My reason was, I really liked the design of the tattoo and I will never have a womans name (unless I had a daughter) tattooed on me. No matter how much I love my other half, a tattoo is permanent, and if we were ever to split that would be stuck there for life

lawrie29 said:
I'm not judging, I know too many wierd people to judge on image! i'm just curious as to reasons and to what people think.

Interesting that it is people who have tattoos, or want them, that are posting.

Wasn't aimed at you, sorry if it came off as such. As for the replies only people who have some sort of interest generally look let alone post in tattoo threads.

Back