The 20-21 season football thread

I agree.

They'll be far smarter about how they go about it next time.

I think once it calms down, then the FA and the other lot should be forced to sign a piece of paper saying they will never try it again, or they end up in court and well in to the millions on a fine. The owners have the cash so hit them hard to stop thoughts in the future.

All 4 other clubs in england are due to pull out now!

Great excitement while it lasted, what will we talk about now?

Fair play to Arsenal - actually apologising and admitting they made a mistake.

Fair play to Arsenal - actually apologising and admitting they made a mistake.

As did John Henry of Liverpool. Did anybody see John Barns on the BBC this morning, he hit the nail clearly on the head. He said that many of the fans thought it was wrong because Sky and BT had told them so, and this was all about one set of elitists (UEFA, Prem League, Sky) not wanting another elitist organisation dipping into their honey pot. The fans think they have won, but it's just the status quo, so tickets & shirt prices will stay the same.

As did John Henry of Liverpool. Did anybody see John Barns on the BBC this morning, he hit the nail clearly on the head. He said that many of the fans thought it was wrong because Sky and BT had told them so, and this was all about one set of elitists (UEFA, Prem League, Sky) not wanting another elitist organisation dipping into their honey pot. The fans think they have won, but it's just the status quo, so tickets & shirt prices will stay the same.

Disagree - it was about the non competitive element. As we have seen, any (in theory) team can win competitions, maybe Leicester or West Ham in the CL next season? You could argue that the CL is less eliteist than it was with teams like West Ham possibly competing?

What John Barnes had to say https://www.football365.com/news/winner-status-quo-john-barnes-sends-warning-european-super-league

Politicshome state that an independent regulator is needed. https://www.politicshome.com/thehou...league-independent-regulator-english-football

A franchised league is just as competitive as any other league. The only difference is that there is no promotion or demotion.

Thing is that there would be competition but only for money amongst the already-richest clubs . There would be an absence of prestige. Real competition is the very essence of the game as the FA cup rounds show and those playing to get Champions League and the Europa League places plus other cup competitions. eg EFL/.Carabou . Re the FA cup ..the so-called 'giant-killers'. It's the game is all about for the fans. For whatever reason this season has thrown up some amazing results in the Premier League. Who goes down, who goes up is the source of endless speculation as the season progresses. It's just a fact that the wealthiest clubs will be able to buy the best players and the competition for the top 4/6 usually involve the same clubs but it doesn't always pan out like that. I recall the excitement when Leicester won the League in the 2015/16 season. Time flies Ugh. I'm a Spurs fan but wanted Leicester to do it. I became a transient Leicester fan. I loved watching Vardy, Mahrez, Drinkwater, Kante, Albrighton, Okazaki.

That squad cost £72 million against Manchester City's £415 million at that time. That's almost a 6-fold difference.

If all had remained as status quo re the Premiere League then this would have continued but my point is the prestige and the battle re relegation and promotion are the very essence of football and will be the same in leagues world-over. Infact, for clubs here promoted from the Championship staying mid- table can be an achievement they're happy with for the first couple of seasons.

Looking at the table Leeds, who were promoted this season lie at 10th... after a 16 year absence. Norwich is coming back up and which club will go up with them ? Real competition, promotion, relegation is an essential part of the game.

All that Super League would have done was to ensure high income for the owners through Tv rights etc.. as the millions world-wide would be happy to pay to watch the top teams play each other reguarly..but for what end ? Lining the pockets of those 20 clubs. Each club would have got €3.5 billion to start with and they would have been playing for the €400million prize that the winner gets plus, I assume, a cup. There would have been 15 permanent clubs and another 5 could qualify but I haven't been able to find out how. Sporting achievement in the previous season is the best qualification I could find.

A copy/paste:

'How the five 'qualifier' teams would, in fact, qualify is also unclear, but the Super League would presumably want to devise a system that ensured Champions League knockout stage regulars such as Ajax, Porto and Roma would have the opportunity to participate.'

The current status of European football competition has to change and many agree with that but not by creating this elite league.

April 19 20212: UEFA reveal new competition format for 2024/25 season https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/med...format-for-club-competitions-to-be-introduce/

Last edited:
Spurs scraped though this evening with a caretaker manager..only 29 years old..and beat Southampton 2-1. Kane still out injured. Just hope he's ok for Sunday's EFL cup final.

I did say Moanio was reaching his sell by date... (I'm looking for the smug face emoticon)......

I did say Moanio was reaching his sell by date... (I'm looking for the smug face emoticon)......

I think there are a lot of similarities between him and Wenger in that respect.

Both were a breath of fresh air, both had a certain style of players they liked and how they played. They were amazingly successful early on. But either they got complacent, or others caught up and they did not evolve.

Jose especially has an attitude problem with some players. Maybe he would be best suited as an international manager now?

Both were a breath of fresh air, both had a certain style of players they liked and how they played. They were amazingly successful early on. But either they got complacent, or others caught up and they did not evolve.

Jose especially has an attitude problem with some players. Maybe he would be best suited as an international manager now?

The difference is Wenger went at least 10 years before he started to fail, Jose lasts around 18-24 months before the players turn against him. He's proved it at Chelsea (twice), Madrid, Man Utd and now Spurs. He is a one season manager, he knows this, but will only take 3 years contracts so he gets paid off. Good work if you can get it.

The difference is Wenger went at least 10 years before he started to fail, Jose lasts around 18-24 months before the players turn against him. He's proved it at Chelsea (twice), Madrid, Man Utd and now Spurs. He is a one season manager, he knows this, but will only take 3 years contracts so he gets paid off. Good work if you can get it.

I think Jose was successful for around 10 years - Porto, Chelsea and then winning CL with Inter and Real. It was basically after that he started to lose his way.

The difference is, he burnt himself out at each club quite quickly; that's why I said he's only good for 18 months.

I don't see a smug face emoticon....:D ..but yes, fair play to you, you did say (y)

Any thoughts on who will take over. ? If Leicester win the FA cup I did wonder if Brendon Rodgers would be up to a move. They've just beaten West Brom 3-0..as I post.

Chelsea's record re FA Cup Final wins.
1920 1946 1997 2000 2012 2018 2020

Most mooted name is the manager of RB Leipzig, Julian Negelsman. His CV is very good.

A copy/paste. Re shaming players who don't give 100% I'm assuming that would not be at a post-match interview as Mourinho used to do.

Nagelsmann films his training sessions and has them broadcasted live to giant screens around each pitch. The technology helps teach his players where they need to stand, when to press and also to shame squad members who aren't giving 100%. In other words, he is a highly demanding and progressive coach.

Nagelsmann is well known to Tottenham fans already, having masterminded Leipzig’s win over Mourinho’s side in the 2020 Champions League last-16. He’s the bookies’ favourite to succeed the Portuguese in an entirely different way over the coming weeks. His contract runs until 2023, but prising him away would not be an issue in a financial sense.

His counter-attacking, high-pressing style of football would be a step away from the Mourinho blueprint; closer, in fact, to the way the team were set-up under former boss Mauricio Pochettino.

I can't understand how someone who has had so much success can lose the interpersonal skills which must also have played a part in his successes along with his tactics and team selections but he has.

Seems Valencia are hoping to get him there https://www.teamtalk.com/news/valencia-owner-lim-lines-up-mourinho

I don't see a smug face emoticon....:D ..but yes, fair play to you, you did say (y)

Any thoughts on who will take over. ? If Leicester win the FA cup I did wonder if Brendon Rodgers would be up to a move

I can't see Rogers moving, he's doing a great job at Leicester, and they'll be in Europe again next year. Benitez is a possibility I guess. Always like the "Spanish Waiter", his knowledge of football is right up there, and he has great tactical strengths too. I was sort of hoping he would come to Arsenal before we confirmed Arteta.

I can't see Rogers moving, he's doing a great job at Leicester, and they'll be in Europe again next year. Benitez is a possibility I guess. Always like the "Spanish Waiter", his knowledge of football is right up there, and he has great tactical strengths too. I was sort of hoping he would come to Arsenal before we confirmed Arteta.

For me Rogers will only move if a) he thinks Leicester will struggle, so get out at the top or b) if a proper big club comes in for him. I could see him even going to somewhere like Bayern

Would have loved him at Arsenal.

I find it amusing that a manager is sacked for doing a bad job - in public - and within a week is offered a job somewhere else. Only in football would that be seen as normal.

I find it amusing that a manager is sacked for doing a bad job - in public - and within a week is offered a job somewhere else. Only in football would that be seen as normal.

And banking, and big corporate, and politics and public institutions and...

Probably the same in all sports. But then even the best get sacked.

On May 31, 1978, St Mirren sacked their manager, Alex Ferguson, with an industrial tribunal ruling he had: "neither by experience nor talent, any managerial ability at all."

Despite that he had a pretty decent record as manager. Or Ranieri, sacked as Greece manager as they lost to Faroes, then won the league with Leicester.

..and in politics..Chris Grayling..or rather, Chris Failing.. As you'll no doubt recall he awared a contract (£13.8million) to a Seabourne Fright that had no ferries, to eleviate possible Brexit hold ups in event of a 'no deal'.The company had no ferries. This was one of several failures of his. Fortunately, he then failed to become head of the Intelligence and Security Commission so Boris put him in charge of our national ports system. He, along with others in high profile positions but not in government,seem to just get another senior position so it's not just football. :)

Despite that he had a pretty decent record as manager. Or Ranieri, sacked as Greece manager as they lost to Faroes, then won the league with Leicester.

Didn't he also win the ECL with Chelsea?

A franchised league is just as competitive as any other league. The only difference is that there is no promotion or demotion.
A few more differences than that. ;)

The franchise system works for the NBA and NFL partly because of the draft system, which feeds the players from colleges into their leagues, with the worst teams getting first picks of the players to in theory balance the leagues. Football has nothing like that in place, and it is not something that could be put in place.

The franchise system is only concerned with the limited number of teams in one or two country's, football spans the globe.

Because of the nature of those two sports, an individual can have a large impact on a team, because in the NBA, they may be one of five players on court at one time, and so can have more impact than one player of eleven in football. In the NFL, whilst there are more players on the field, certain positions, such as a quarterback, can have a huge influence on a team.

There are also salary caps to try an balance the teams, which could be a good idea in football, but unless all country's football associations agree to it, is unworkable.

The franchise system also allows for teams to move to a different city, and while that could happen to any football team, teams are more tied to their communities than the American sports teams. Teams who, because there is a very limited number of teams in a very big country, can move safe in the knowledge that they have a fanbase that goes well beyond whatever city the franchise is based in, and the benefits may far out-way the potential loss of fans from a city being moved away from.

I'm no expert on American sports, but just a few thoughts on franchises, and how they are different to the way football works. ;)

Watched Everton v Aston Villa yesterday. A 2-1 win for the Villa . I was very impressed with Ollie Watkins. Skilful, alert,strong on the ball. Played havoc in the Everton defence. He scored the first goal by pouncing on a mistake by Mason Holgate. Gareth Southgate was in the stands re the Euros 2020 (now being played this year) so I think that performance will stand OW in good stead. On the other hand a very good performance and a superb headed goal (his forte) was put in by Everton's striker Calvert-Lewin who has performed well in the Under-21's. Difficult decision for Gareth. Maybe take both ??

Everton missed several good opportunities to score and failed. They should have won that game. Narrows the top six down even further. Manchester United v Liverpool at 4.30pm. Spurs v Sheffield United at 7.000pm.As a Spurs fan,I'm hoping for a Manchester United win and West Ham to lose away to Burnley tomorrow. Burnley's last game was a 4-0 win over Wolves.

League table https://www.skysports.com/premier-league-table

Last edited:
They shouldn't have had 11 at the end, Xaka had at least two bookable incidents after he had a yellow card. :rolleyes:

Like I said, it was was surprising. Xhaka has been in more books than most ladies of the night.... He's a liability, gets booked too often, can't pass, can't run, can't tackle.

The inevitable is going to happen this summer. £90million for Harry Kane to go to either Manchester United or Manchester City.I just hope that Sonny doesn't go too but if he wants silverware, Champions League, Euros he might go. Also, he's had such a succesful partnership with Kane he'll feel that his spoul mate's gone .He came to Spurs in 2015 from Bayer Leverkusen for £22m under Poch. Worth as much, if not more, than Kane.If he goes I think he might go abroad rather than stay in the Premiership.

Not a good read and dated March 28th.before Mourinho was sacked. https://www.football.london/tottenh.../10-tottenham-players-expected-leave-20272675
Fortunately, looks like Lloris will stay. Spurs have three games left. Wolves..Aston Villa and Leicester. I wouldn't be confident in them winning against any of them,especially Leicester.

I read that Mourinho,now manager at Roma on a three year contract, wants Eric Dier. For whatever reason he holds Eric Dier in high esteem as a player. I don't. Too often he gives away fouls just outside the box . Mourinho also wants Hojbjerg.

It's going to be a very interesting summer for Spurs management. The ddefencde needs sorting. I think they'll be pleased to offload Dier. If Kane and Son go what then ?

Back