The 20-21 season football thread

Kane, Son and Hojbjerg leaving would be huge for Spurs, Dier not so much. ;) The way Spurs rely on Kane, his goals and assists, that would be a massive influence to replace, and I don't see anyone already there close to stepping up and replacing.

No way is Son worth anywhere near as much as Kane btw.

I have never been big on Kane, he gets a lot of his goals from the penalty spot...... But I do think he will go, City will be looking to replace Aguero, and they will have more money too.

After losing in the Euro semi finals, Arsenal aren't going to have European football next season, the first time for 25 years... So, if Spurs want a young, good look looking, English speaking manager, trained by Pep, I'm sure he'll be available. :giggle:

Kane, Son and Hojbjerg leaving would be huge for Spurs, Dier not so much. ;) The way Spurs rely on Kane, his goals and assists, that would be a massive influence to replace, and I don't see anyone already there close to stepping up and replacing.

I read that they want to use the Kane money to buy in new players. What sort of strategy is that ?

No way is Son worth anywhere near as much as Kane btw.

You're right re Son. I really should have checked first. I have now. £75.5 million.Also, he's just signed a 5 year deal.

I have never been big on Kane, he gets a lot of his goals from the penalty spot...... But I do think he will go, City will be looking to replace Aguero, and they will have more money too.

After losing in the Euro semi finals, Arsenal aren't going to have European football next season, the first time for 25 years... So, if Spurs want a young, good look looking, English speaking manager, trained by Pep, I'm sure he'll be available. :giggle:

I recall you mentioning the penalties before and I thought then that it can't be right so this time I've done a check . 30 of his 115 goals have been from penalties. That's 26%.

I took a look at who's scored most from penalties just this season. I won't insult your football knowledge by adding the club name :D

1.Bruno Fernandes.
2.Jorgino
3. Saleh
4.Vardy
5.Pereira
6.Kane
7.Wilson
8. Nevas
9.El Ghazi

To take just this season for Kane.

21 goals scored.

Headed...4

Penalties 4.

Free kicks..0.

So, in this season, with three games left he's not far off his overall penalty tally of 26% .

I do keep an eye on Arsenal these days because you and Cambsno support the club but Arteta is not for us. I suppose Unai Emery saw that defeat as poetic justice :D

It's going to be an interesting summer .I hope ths thread can be added to as players come and go..and managers.

I'm pleased that common sense has prevailed re the Champions League Final. I'm a cynic. I'll bet that UEFA thought that Boris & co put Turkey on the red list after Uefa said the final goes ahead in Turkey (they lost out last year, too because of Covid) and thought "We're not letting them have it even if both sides are English clubs" However, apart from the bad situation in Turkey itself people were travelling from India ,to escape Covid there, to the UK via Turkey, before the ban. The CDC has Turkey at Level 4..Very high.

The crunch with the UK hosting it is UEFA wanting a guarantee that sponsors,VIPs and media get tickets and will not be subject to quarantine conditions upon arrival here. I've heard that amounts to 3000 .

Here's the article:

Looks like it will go to Portugal which is on our green list.

Last edited:
Well, this from a lifetime Leicester city supporter (Leicestershire born & bred) but living in North Yorkshire for 10 years. I am 'tickled pink' after the Cup final win.
I am biased but I think Leicester's win today is good for football. Everybodies ? ;) 2nd team proving that unfashionable teams can still win trophies.

Well, this from a lifetime Leicester city supporter (Leicestershire born & bred) but living in North Yorkshire for 10 years. I am 'tickled pink' after the Cup final win.
I am biased but I think Leicester's win today is good for football. Everybodies ? ;) 2nd team proving that unfashionable teams can still win trophies.
Great performance. Also great to see a club whose owners are much loved and seem to get everything right.

Great performance. Also great to see a club whose owners are much loved and seem to get everything right.

Indeed, it was not just great for Leicester fans, but to see it won with such a cracking goal, and then the keeper make two amazing saves, just shows you how important the FA cup is. I bet you were worried before the VAR decision though!

On their day, Chelsea are unplayable, but they just didn't turn up yesterday. And I have no issue lending you's Arsenal's trophy for 12 months, we haven't been worthy of winning anything this year (including most of our games) :ROFLMAO:

Indeed, it was not just great for Leicester fans, but to see it won with such a cracking goal, and then the keeper make two amazing saves, just shows you how important the FA cup is. I bet you were worried before the VAR decision though!

On their day, Chelsea are unplayable, but they just didn't turn up yesterday. And I have no issue lending you's Arsenal's trophy for 12 months, we haven't been worthy of winning anything this year (including most of our games) :ROFLMAO:

Many thanks for the 'loan' of the trophy. I agree when Chelsea are 'on their game' they are likely to beat anyone.
I think they will probably beat us on tuesday. Their reserve strength is pretty incredible so they are able to field a very strong 'rested' 11. Leicester do not have the strength in depth and now with Johnny Evans added to their injury list many/most of the cup final 11 will have to play again.
No matter, I said all along if we could only achieve one aim I would take winning the FA cup over qualifying for the champions league.

Something that the "money" generation of footballers seems to have generated, is those that turn up because they have to, whereas those more passionate (the likes of Vardy for example), turn up because they want to. I'm sure that goes a long way towards consistency, something Arsenal seem to be lacking right now - other than we're consistently inconsistent! :LOL:

i-QS5n3qf.jpg

As I expected last night's match against Chelsea was an anti-climax. Leicester were very poor and seemed devoid of energy. Whatever happens on Sunday we have had a great season and . . . we have the FA Cup. :clap:

As I expected last night's match against Chelsea was an anti-climax. Leicester were very poor and seemed devoid of energy. Whatever happens on Sunday we have had a great season and . . . we have the FA Cup. :clap:

I think the real Chelsea turned up last night, they seemed much sharper than they did at the weekend.

I think "we have the FA Cup" may have had something to do with it, no matter how much they will have tried to not celebrate too much, even without alcohol (which I doubt ;)) the emotional energy used will have been draining.

I think "we have the FA Cup" may have had something to do with it, no matter how much they will have tried to not celebrate too much, even without alcohol (which I doubt ;)) the emotional energy used will have been draining.

Yes, I think winning the Cup was more important to Leicester (and to me) than it was to Chelsea. Chelsea's priority (since admitted by T Tuchel) was qualifying for champions league.
I doubt Leicester have the squad depth to go deep in the Champions league so missing out (if they do) this year may be a blessing in disguise. Strengthen the squad over the next couple
of transfer sessions and hopefully aim to qualify next time.

Is there still talk about Champions league qualification taking historical performances into account?

Is there still talk about Champions league qualification taking historical performances into account?

Hasn't that always been the case? That's why England, Spain & Italy have a minimum of 4 entrants, when other countries only get 3 or 2, and some have to qualify.

Hasn't that always been the case? That's why England, Spain & Italy have a minimum of 4 entrants, when other countries only get 3 or 2, and some have to qualify.

I thought there was talk about a points system. A team that had done well in previous years could leapfrog a team above them in the table and into a Champions League spot.

It is just before Scotland v England in the Euro’s Group game.
Kane goes into the English changing room to find all his team mates looking a bit glum.
"What's up?" he asks.
"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only Scotland. They're s***e and we can't be bothered".
Kane looks at them and says "Well, I reckon I can beat these by myself, you lads go down the pub."
So Kane goes out to play Scotland by himself and the rest of the English team go off for a few pints. After a few jars they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads "England 1 - Scotland 0 (Kane 10minutes)". He is beating Scotland all by himself!
Anyway, a few more pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on". They put the teletext on.
"Result from the Stadium "England 1 (Kane 10 minutes) - Scotland 1"(Mcginn 89 minutes)".
They can't believe it, he has single handedly got a draw against Scotland!!
They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate him. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands. He refuses to look at them.
"I've let you down, I've let you down."
"Don't be daft, you got a draw against Scotland all by yourself. And they only scored at the very very end"
"No, No, I have, I've let you down...
I got sent off after 12 minutes"

It is just before Scotland v England in the Euro’s Group game.
Kane goes into the English changing room to find all his team mates looking a bit glum.
"What's up?" he asks.
"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only Scotland. They're s***e and we can't be bothered".
Kane looks at them and says "Well, I reckon I can beat these by myself, you lads go down the pub."
So Kane goes out to play Scotland by himself and the rest of the English team go off for a few pints. After a few jars they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads "England 1 - Scotland 0 (Kane 10minutes)". He is beating Scotland all by himself!
Anyway, a few more pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on". They put the teletext on.
"Result from the Stadium "England 1 (Kane 10 minutes) - Scotland 1"(Mcginn 89 minutes)".
They can't believe it, he has single handedly got a draw against Scotland!!
They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate him. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands. He refuses to look at them.
"I've let you down, I've let you down."
"Don't be daft, you got a draw against Scotland all by yourself. And they only scored at the very very end"
"No, No, I have, I've let you down...
I got sent off after 12 minutes"

Ah, I remember that as Arsenal v Spurs and Denis Bergkamp. ;)

The mind boggles.

First this https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/06/18/tottenham-fans-react-to-gattuso-rumour/

Then this.

What self-respecting manger would want to go to Spurs ? Harry K will definitely go. Sonny must be feeling a bit down, I'd have thought.He's back home in South Korea playing in World Cup qualifiers at the moment.

So.. Germany 2 (just) Hungary 2 means England play Germany next Tuesday at Wembley with a scheduled 5.00pm kick off.

So.. Germany 2 (just) Hungary 2 means England play Germany next Tuesday at Wembley with a scheduled 5.00pm kick off.

Really exciting tonight - was hoping that we would get Hungary and Portugal go out which was on the cards at one point!

Really exciting tonight - was hoping that we would get Hungary and Portugal go out which was on the cards at one point!

I kept switching from one game to another and invariably missing goals..lol .BBC1 and BBC2.

If Southgate goes for an attacking selection and having just watched Germany I think we could win that one. Hopefully Grealish will start. Saka (An Arsenal academy product as you'll know )certainly will. What a talent he is only 19 too. Henderson seems to be a rock..his experience and leadership. Harry Kane will start despite his lack lustre performances to date .I hear he's in talks with Manmchester City. ..https://www.teamtalk.com/news/man-city-stance-changes-on-harry-kane-transfer

Hopefully, no repeat of the penalty shoot-out in '96.. Germany won the competition anyway.

No Mason Mount nor Chilwell. That seemed a harsh decision by UEFA. Mount is the most important of those two.

I like this article. :) Gives an insight into the Press going OTT. https://www.football365.com/news/england-crisis-chaos-turmoil-disarray-mediawatch

Last edited:
I kept switching from one game to another and invariably missing goals..lol .BBC1 and BBC2.

If Southgate goes for an attacking selection and having just watched Germany I think we could win that one. Hopefully Grealish will start. Saka (An Arsenal academy product as you'll know )certainly will. What a talent he is only 19 too. Henderson seems to be a rock..his experience and leadership. Harry Kane will start despite his lack lustre performances to date .I hear he's in talks with Manmchester City. ..https://www.teamtalk.com/news/man-city-stance-changes-on-harry-kane-transfer

Hopefully, no repeat of the penalty shoot-out in '96.. Germany won the competition anyway.

No Mason Mount nor Chilwell. That seemed a harsh decision by UEFA. Mount is the most important of those two.

I like this article. :) Gives an insight into the Press going OTT. https://www.football365.com/news/england-crisis-chaos-turmoil-disarray-mediawatch

I dont think so - I think Southgate will go safety first and pick his favourites so no Saka (which I think would be the wrong decision). Can see him having a top 3 of Foden, Sterling & Kane with two holding mids and Jack in the middle.

Depends which Germany you get! the one that scalped Portugal, or the one that scraped a draw with ..... Hungary! A team even we [Ireland] managed a draw with in a friendly just a week before the tournie.

I'm sticking with Belgium to win this out

Both Belgium and France look good, and don't forget, Italy haven't lost in around 30 competitive matches either. As for England/Germany, I think we have been pretty dire all the way through. We shouldn't need to rely on the odd bit of individual skill from the likes of Saka or Grealish. I do wonder if Kane is carrying an injury, I've never been a big fan, but he just looks out of sorts so far.

Rashford hasn't impressed when he's been on either, what we could do with is Vardy, but he's not here. I like Henderson in the midfield, his experience shines through, but I think we'll end up losing by the odd goal to Germany (as usual). The last time we had a significant win against them in a competitive match was that 5-1 drumming we gave them 20 years ago.

My money's on Belgium, With Lukaku in form, and De Bruyne behind him, they look very good, It's surprising how many of that squad play, or have played in the Premier League, some at not the biggest of clubs either.

Thibaut Courtois
Simon Mignolet
Toby Alderweireld
Thomas Vermaelen
Jan Vertonghen
Timothy Castagne
Nacer Chadli
Kevin De Bruyne
Leander Dendoncker
Dennis Praet
Youri Tielemans
Michy Batshuayi
Christian Benteke
Eden Hazard
Romelu Lukaku
Leandro Trossard

Southgate is to being a manager as Hancock is a health secretary.

I think we have been quiet and efficient - Portugal hardly set the world alight last time out and won it (winning only 1 game in 90 mins IIRC).

France have looked similar to us, Italy have not really been tested yet, up for grabs but win this and its a relatively easy route to final as Belgium, Italy & France are in other half of the draw.

What a set of matches last night - the swings of us playing I think all of the teams in Germanys group at some point!

The EFL / Derby County situation is now beyond a joke.
As is the ”late" filing of accounts, according to the EFL. (but not the government.)

Southgate is to being a manager as Hancock is a health secretary.
He couldn't tell you his best 11 if you held a gun to his head.
Random, crazy selections, systems and formations.
We've been very lucky so far.
Hopefully somebody has a word before the 16 stage.

He couldn't tell you his best 11 if you held a gun to his head.
Random, crazy selections, systems and formations.
We've been very lucky so far.
Hopefully somebody has a word before the 16 stage.

A bit harsh, we have one of the strongest squads at the Euros - look at RB (ignoring that TAA is injured), TAA (PL & CL winner), James (CL winner), Trippier (LaLiga winner), Walker (CL Finalist & PL winner) - plus we have Mount, Grealish & Foden who I think could all get in any other side.

What team would you pick for Tues?

I think he needs to go for:

Pickford
Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Walker, Shaw
Henderson
Foden, Grealish
Saka, Kane, Sterling

Play wing backs to cancel theirs out, and our two are good at going forward.

We should be playing 4 3 3 IMHO and we have to stop the needless, banal, frustrating back passing. The Portugal France game was far more creative and skillful than anything we have produced thus far. The Netherlands, Italy and Germany are streets ahead of us.
My England team for the next game would be:

Pickford
Trippier, Maguire, Henderson, Shaw
Saka, Phillips, Grealish
Foden, Calvert-Lewin, Stirling

We should be playing 4 3 3 IMHO and we have to stop the needless, banal, frustrating back passing. The Portugal France game was far more creative and skillful than anything we have produced thus far. The Netherlands, Italy and Germany are streets ahead of us.
My England team for the next game would be:

Pickford
Trippier, Maguire, Henderson, Shaw
Saka, Phillips, Grealish
Foden, Calvert-Lewin, Stirling

Did you see Germany last night????

Brave person to leave out Kane, even if he is struggling. Not sure that playing a CM at CB (who has not played more than 45 mins since Feb) is the right thing to do though!

When will our hapless manager tell Kane not to chase down (or attempt to) every single ball back to the keeper.
Not exactly the quickest player at the best of times and could perhaps save his energy for something more productive.
He also ends up in no mans land should a quick break evolve, very poor indeed.

Half decent crop of young players, but with the wrong manager to get the best from them.
Might be ok with those like Maquire who wouldn't look out of place in a Leeds team from the 70's

Plan B seems to be Plan A+ which entails bringing on a sub or two 12-15 mins from the end.

Last edited:
When will our hapless manager tell Kane not to chase down (or attempt to) every single ball back to the keeper.
Not exactly the quickest player at the best of times and could perhaps save his energy for something more productive.
He also ends up in no mans land should a quick break evolve, very poor indeed.

Half decent crop of young players, but with the wrong manager to get the best from them.
Might be ok with those like Maquire who wouldn't look out of place in a Leeds team from the 70's

Plan B seems to be Plan A+ which entails bringing on a sub or two 12-15 mins from the end.

Same manager who got to WC Semis last time? Agree, his subs are awful, 5 to play with so make more of them, but pointless bringing someone on in the 84th min!

Same manager who got to WC Semis last time? Agree, his subs are awful, 5 to play with so make more of them, but pointless bringing someone on in the 84th min!

Come on, you know exactly why when you look at the side of the draw we were in.
First competent team and we lost, do you really think we would have survived that long against France, Belgium or Brazil.
If you look at that semi no plan B then same as now, just try to find Kane who did nothing in that match.

I'm a big Kane fan, so difficult to be objective. His tracking back is invaluable at club level but should not be required at international level.
The service to him in the 1st 2 games was non existent, you don't become a bad player overnight.
According to the mail today England are the slowest team at the tournament for getting the ball forward. Even with Kane taking 2 or 3 defenders with him were too slow to exploit the gaps.
I am at a loss to understand our tactics, formation and strategy.

France have looked similar to us, Italy have not really been tested yet

You were obviously looking at a different France than me then.... I was watching the one with Mbappe, Greizman & Benzima up front, with Kante & Pogba in midfield, and Varane & Pavard in defence. Which one were you watching?

You were obviously looking at a different France than me then.... I was watching the one with Mbappe, Greizman & Benzima up front, with Kante & Pogba in midfield, and Varane & Pavard in defence. Which one were you watching?

Against Hungary - seemed flat to me. Got a VERY dodgy penalty to get back in the game v Portugal too.

Back