The 20-21 season football thread

I listened to Chelsea v West Brom at 1230.

Result ? Chelsea 2 West Brom 5 :eek: Tiago Silva sent off after 29 minutes. Thomas Tuchel has just received Barclays Manager of the Month award, too ..lol.

Chelsea 4th in the table with 51 points and West Brom second from bottom (Newcastle bottom) with 21 points and going down. Callum Robinson scored two of the goals and he's scored 5 goals in the Premiership of which four are against..Chelsea..lol. West Brom bought him for £4.95 million last September..from Sheffield United. He was originally on loan from that club at the start of 2020.

I'm not talking about football anymore.... 0-0 at half time at home to the Scouse, and we lose 3-0 when they're not even in good form.... You never know what Arsenal are going to turn up, but usually it's the cr@p one.... :( :( :(

I'm not talking about football anymore.... 0-0 at half time at home to the Scouse, and we lose 3-0 when they're not even in good form.... You never know what Arsenal are going to turn up, but usually it's the cr@p one.... :( :( :(
More like you never know if they will turn up..
They was a joke tonight

At least you kept them out for 64 minutes and also Arteta took responsibility which is more than can be said for Mourhino when Spurs lose against teams they should win against..like today.

Mikel Arteta: "They were better in every department. I take the blame, it's my responsibility. They were the best team by far. They won by three goals and it could have been more.

"They won every duel, every second ball, every challenge. To be fair, I'm in shock. I didn't expect that one coming. It's my job to make things better. Today we hit a really low level. It was not acceptable.

"For sure we cannot hit that level again. When you represent this club you have to stand up and take the challenge."

Spurs drew 2-2 at Newcastle this afternoon when Newcastle scored in the last 10 minutes. Infact, Newcastle got the first goal despite these Spurs forwards which include two substitutions. Kane-Son-Bale- Lamela-Lucas Moura.

Spurs got a free kick near the end of the game and at that point on came Bale. It was Bale territory but Lamela saw Bale coming on and tried to take the free kick but wasn't fast enough ...lol ..and Bale intervened and promptly sky'd it 10m over the crossbar...lol.or should that be :(

Comments from the Spurs web

Some Spurs fans on social media have been left fuming as Tottenham once again conceded a late equaliser to throw away two points against Newcastle.

Jose Mourinho stuck with the same eleven that started the 2-0 win against Aston Villa two weeks ago, choosing to leave Son Heung-min on the bench. Some Tottenham fans on social media admitted that they are now tired of seeing the North Londoners throw away points in the same manner as they have all season.

From Spurs International:
https://BANNED/simonyemane?ref_src=...ough-some-spurs-fans-react-to-newcastle-draw/
This season can’t be over soon enough. My head (or heart) just can’t take the rollercoaster. Chelsea, Arsenal and Leicester were HORRIBLE yesterday. Today it’s us. Feels like the only winners this season are Man City.

Jose was asked about it. The interviewer asked him if the result was due to mistakes. Jose said "No, not mistakes but players skills"

I think he meant poor skills.

They'll probably go and beat Manchester City in the EFL/Carabao Cup..April 25th. :D

I'll say it again, Mourhino has gone past his 18 month usefulness. Every club he goes to have peaked within a couple of months of him joining, then consistency starts to fail, and by 18 months the players won't play for him. It's happened at Chelsea (twice), Real Madrid, United, and now Spurs.

I don't know how he keeps getting jobs, you were better under Poch.

I'll say it again, Mourhino has gone past his 18 month usefulness. Every club he goes to have peaked within a couple of months of him joining, then consistency starts to fail, and by 18 months the players won't play for him. It's happened at Chelsea (twice), Real Madrid, United, and now Spurs.

I don't know how he keeps getting jobs, you were better under Poch.

Yes, I do recall you mentioning that. I'd like to see him go. It's clearly an unhappy dressing room.

Arteta needs to go - too many duff games with the occasional good one.

Arteta needs to go - too many duff games with the occasional good one.

Something else is wrong at the club. I think, from looking at those around us, serious investment in our defence is needed. We have one great centre back, and another good one, but the rest are just not good enough.

Something else is wrong at the club. I think, from looking at those around us, serious investment in our defence is needed. We have one great centre back, and another good one, but the rest are just not good enough.

True, but I rarely feel inspired or confident in the team, which is a contrast to managers like Klopp, Rogers, Ole, or even managers like Dyche. Regardless of what may be wrong at the club, he cannot do the basics like motivate the team (most of the time). A quick stat yesterday I saw, said that with Saka and/or Rowe (cant remember if either or both) we average 2 goals a game, without its 0.95. That is 2 very young players, in Rowe's case his first season properly in the 1st team. Aside from those 2, Tierney and Leno, I dont see regular good performances from anyone else?

Ashamed and disgusted at arsenal and the other greedy s**ts!!

Hope they get points deducted and relegated and players like Kane, rashford and Foden do not get to play for England unless they leave.

It won’t happen though (the league I mean) as the anger is massive and people will not support this.

Ashamed and disgusted at arsenal and the other greedy s**ts!!

Hope they get points deducted and relegated and players like Kane, rashford and Foden do not get to play for England unless they leave.

It won’t happen though (the league I mean) as the anger is massive and people will not support this.
Me 2.

Shocking.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Wenger try to lobbie this a while ago?

Marc.. I didn't know that was the reason.I thought it was because of their poor form. They're 7th in the table. No Champion's League and looking like no Europa League either unless they beat Manchester City next Sunday in the EFL /Carabou Cup. ASs you know, they have a new stadium and the club has spent £1 billion on the entire project. They need the revenue going forward, especially after the Covid hit.

I'll see what else I can find later . Off to watch the closing statements by the prosecution/defence at the Chauvin trial which have just begun

Whatever the reason, though, I'm glad he's gone.

Last edited:
Worked out they dont need UK fans now they have millions in Asia, Far East and Africa to pay for watching on screen.

I'm sure none of these outraged pundits will have anything to do with it either should they be offered the gig.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favour of this, but wasn't obvious that it was going to come? And the ONLY reason that the EPL & UEFA are acting against it is that they will lose revenue. They don't give one iota for the fans, players, or clubs, the organising bodies just see revenue loss.

Is it not that much difference to 25 years ago and the "big clubs" in England decided to form a breakaway league of their own, away from the Football League? Wenger was saying 10 years ago that it will be inevitable, it's come out today before UEFA could release details of a reshaped Champions League, they stole their thunder.

Very interesting clips.. Powerful words by Jamie Carragher and Garry Neville, especially Neville. It's a real earthquake in the football world. Talks with the six England clubs involved must have been going on for quite a while. There were quite a few angry fans in the 5-Live and TalkSport phone-ins today especially a Liverpool fan . I heard that the EU may move against it on grounds of it being a cartel.

Worth a listen..if those not familiar with the Scouse accent can understand it :D

Anthony from Liverpool. Call taken at 4.24 on the time line.. His name shows top left. Talk about passion...and anger.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKgCNewATWw

Re Ian Wright's clip. He wears his heart on his sleeve. An emotional meeting with the headmaster that urged him on re football when he was a kid.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SUI-VCVzvQ

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favour of this, but wasn't obvious that it was going to come? And the ONLY reason that the EPL & UEFA are acting against it is that they will lose revenue. They don't give one iota for the fans, players, or clubs, the organising bodies just see revenue loss.

Is it not that much difference to 25 years ago and the "big clubs" in England decided to form a breakaway league of their own, away from the Football League? Wenger was saying 10 years ago that it will be inevitable, it's come out today before UEFA could release details of a reshaped Champions League, they stole their thunder.

The difference is that someone like Leicester can still break into the top and win the league - or teams like Blackpool or Ipswich (or in 3 seasons time the mighty Cambridge United) can get to play at the highest level, and if you dont perform, you go down!

And while you have a point about FIFA & UEFA, there is no benefit for football in this idea!

Worked out they dont need UK fans now they have millions in Asia, Far East and Africa to pay for watching on screen.

I'm sure none of these outraged pundits will have anything to do with it either should they be offered the gig.

My big worry is that the millions of people annoyed (like 60m in the UK, 60m in Italy) will be dwarfed by 2bn Chinese who may love to see Man U v Juve type games each week. So the rights sold there, and in Sth America for example will make it viable, even if we boycott.

I genuinely think that If Sky supported that, people like Neville will leave.

My big worry is that the millions of people annoyed (like 60m in the UK, 60m in Italy) will be dwarfed by 2bn Chinese who may love to see Man U v Juve type games each week. So the rights sold there, and in Sth America for example will make it viable, even if we boycott.

I genuinely think that If Sky supported that, people like Neville will leave.

Not everyone in the UK will be annoyed, there are lots of people who have never even been to a match.
Their idea of live is watching it as it happens on TV or other devices, many of those will want to watch the best teams and players.
Not the same as when I was a kid and you supported the team your family had and was local to you.
I was born and grew up near Hackney Marshes, my nearest team was the O's so that's where I went with my Dad.
Kids these days support whoever has the big names and win things, they have no interest in tradition.
If it gets off the ground no doubt it will be a loss leader to start with and people will pay to watch it.

I feel no connection with the Premier league who did exactly the same thing, seem to recall they originally wanted it by invitation only.
Weren't exactly chuffed to include the likes of Wimbledon when better supported teams languished in the 2nd and 3rd divisions.
They wanted a bigger share of TV money at the expense of smaller clubs and the game in general.
Also brought in keep all the home game gate receipts rule, again to benefit the bigger wealthier clubs.
Boot literally on the other foot now, Karmas coming home, might be a song there.

Last edited:
Not everyone in the UK will be annoyed, there are lots of people who have never even been to a match.
Their idea of live is watching it as it happens on TV or other devices, many of those will want to watch the best teams and players.
Not the same as when I was a kid and you supported the team your family had and was local to you.
I was born and grew up near Hackney Marshes, my nearest team was the O's so that's where I went with my Dad.
Kids these days support whoever has the big names and win things, they have no interest in tradition.
If it gets off the ground no doubt it will be a loss leader to start with and people will pay to watch it.

I feel no connection with the Premier league who did exactly the same thing, seem to recall they originally wanted it by invitation only.
Weren't exactly chuffed to include the likes of Wimbledon when better supported teams languished in the 2nd and 3rd divisions.
They wanted a bigger share of TV money at the expense of smaller clubs and the game in general.
Also brought in keep all the home game gate receipts rule, again to benefit the bigger wealthier clubs.
Boot literally on the other foot now, Karmas coming home, might be a song there.

TBF, kids supporting whoever has the big names and win things is nothing new. When I was at school in the 70s, there were plenty of kids supporting Liverpool despite never having been north of Watford.

As for the Premier League, I do agree with you there. I said as much at the time, despite my team being there at the start (finishing 5th in its inaugural season).

TBF, kids supporting whoever has the big names and win things is nothing new. When I was at school in the 70s, there were plenty of kids supporting Liverpool despite never having been north of Watford.

As for the Premier League, I do agree with you there. I said as much at the time, despite my team being there at the start (finishing 5th in its inaugural season).

That is true now I think about it, its probably worse these days and many adults are just as fickle.

Your team might not have been included if someone like Newcastle could have been invited from a lower division.
For years they have wanted Celtic and Rangers to get a spot, probably doubled relegation one season to accommodate them.
Really is nothing new, just that its the PL and Sky who are getting hit with the s***ty stick this time.
One lot of greedy buggers being outflanked by an even richer lot of scumbags.

Last edited:

Me too!!

My Dad was a Gooner, my brother, uncles & cousins also. It was Arsenal or nothing in our family, our sons a Gooner too, I wonder why?

Me too!!

My Dad was a Gooner, my brother, uncles & cousins also. It was Arsenal or nothing in our family, our sons a Gooner too, I wonder why?

As I've already said, I was a Gooner (North London born) up until dad dragged me to Loftus Road. Will always favour them over Spuds.

Really is nothing new, just that its the PL and Sky who are getting hit with the s***ty stick this time.
One lot of greedy buggers being outflanked by an even richer lot of scumbags.

Exactly. Other than the fans, all the moaning is coming from those who make billions out of football. At one point, Arsenal wanted their own TV channel and wanted to sell "TV Season tickets" so you could watch all their games live, and the PL stopped it. Having been a season ticket holder for many years before we left London, the KO times were sometimes a real PITA, evening games meant not getting home until midnight, even though we lived in London. Clubs don't make much money out of gate receipts compared to TV money, and it's all about overseas TV deals.

Exactly. Other than the fans, all the moaning is coming from those who make billions out of football. At one point, Arsenal wanted their own TV channel and wanted to sell "TV Season tickets" so you could watch all their games live, and the PL stopped it. Having been a season ticket holder for many years before we left London, the KO times were sometimes a real PITA, evening games meant not getting home until midnight, even though we lived in London. Clubs don't make much money out of gate receipts compared to TV money, and it's all about overseas TV deals.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before but the wife's cousin is a lifelong Arsenal fan, despite being from St Helens, and, after moving down to London, he met his wife to be who also happened to be an Arsenal fan. They were both season ticket holders until a few years ago but also found the KO times a PITA. They live on the Isle of Dogs and have become regular visitors to Leyton Orient.

Those kick off times show exactly how much they care about the TV over the fans.
I have known people buy rail tickets and sometimes even booked an overnight stay only to have the kick off day/time rearranged.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before but the wife's cousin is a lifelong Arsenal fan, despite being from St Helens, and, after moving down to London, he met his wife to be who also happened to be an Arsenal fan. They were both season ticket holders until a few years ago but also found the KO times a PITA. They live on the Isle of Dogs and have become regular visitors to Leyton Orient.

Good for them, picked up a decent number of fans from bigger clubs over the last few years.
Mainly because of cost and unavailability of tickets, but also because the whole experience is so much nicer.
Fans not just seen as a revenue stream, people like to feel appreciated and be part of the club they support.
Helps that our chairman and part owner is a life long supporter who actually cares about the fans.

As I've already said, I was a Gooner (North London born) up until dad dragged me to Loftus Road. Will always favour them over Spuds.

My grandad and Uncle lived near Kentish Town so Arsenal were their local club and I followed. That said as I have lived most of my life around Cambridge I would describe them as my main club,

Good for them, picked up a decent number of fans from bigger clubs over the last few years.
Mainly because of cost and unavailability of tickets, but also because the whole experience is so much nicer.
Fans not just seen as a revenue stream, people like to feel appreciated and be part of the club they support.
Helps that our chairman and part owner is a life long supporter who actually cares about the fans.

Well I hope you have a stinker of a game tonight!

Went their once for a Utd away game around 1999 or so. Nice little ground.

Brisbane Road was the 1st football ground I ever went to, Boxing Day, 1972.

Brisbane Road was the 1st football ground I ever went to, Boxing Day, 1972.

I went to that game too, O's won 2-0 and if memory serves a certain Rodney Marsh had a penalty saved.
Decent crowds in those days too, probably over 20,000 for that one.
I recall getting a right hammering on another Boxing Day at Loftus Road, something like 4 or 5-1

I've been to the Abbey on quite a few occasions to watch the O's.
It was a good day out, get on the train from Liverpool St and arrive in Cambridge for opening time.
Much nicer ground since they built the stand behind the goal, doing well this season.
Think we will be lucky to get a draw tonight, its been a very weird season though.

I went to that game too, O's won 2-0 and if memory serves a certain Rodney Marsh had a penalty saved.
Decent crowds in those days too, probably over 20,000 for that one.
I recall getting a right hammering on another Boxing Day at Loftus Road, something like 4 or 5-1

I didn't see a thing! I was 8 years old and a very small 8 year old at that and every time the play got anywhere near the goal, everyone stood up! I remember asking when the action replay was being shown. :D

Dad did take me to the reverse fixture later that season and, iirc, we won 3-1.

I didn't see a thing! I was 8 years old and a very small 8 year old at that and every time the play got anywhere near the goal, everyone stood up! I remember asking when the action replay was being shown. :D

Dad did take me to the reverse fixture later that season and, iirc, we won 3-1.

I would have been about 14 and luckily fairly tall, always stood on the covered terrace opposite the main stand.
Had a good season, knocked Chelsea out of the cup in the fifth round, won 3-2 after being 0-2 down after half an hour.
They were a very good team then with the likes of Peter Osgood, Peter Bonetti, Ian Hutchison, Charlie Cooke and lots of other star names.
Lost 0-1 to Arsenal in the sixth round, very unlucky that day, hit the woodwork three times before a controversial Alan Ball goal
Both games attracted all ticket crowds of over 30,000, seems hard to believe we got that many in our small ground.

And the collapse has begun. Both Chelsea & Man City have requested to pull out of the ESL

Back