The 2013 Season F1 Thread

Pirelli are cheapskates ,using steel instead of kevlar ,earning a fortune while risking serious injuries or even lives of the drivers. And IMO robbed Lewis of a victory .Kimi was very lucky today ,Alonso was as well .

Come on Pirelli get it sorted !!!!

Well. If this clip from Renault is anything to go by, then maybe you'll not even need ear defenders at F1 from next season.
Yes it's still high revving. But that F1 sound has gone. For once I think Bernie was right in saying it was the wrong way to go.

http://www.renaultsport.com/Come-on-feel-the-noise,2630.html?lang=fr

I for one hate the stupid whinny sound from the current F1 cars. high revving flat plane crank V8's are wrong lol turbos will make much more interesting racing.

I wonder if Pirelli are being attacked for things that are out of their control.

There was talk of the teams running the tyre pressures at only 15 psi but then Vettal being told that his last set had a higher pressure to increase safety( but I guess reducing contact patch and performance)

I have seen coverage of the BTCC races where the teams are told to keep off the kerbs until the tyre pressures have come up with the heat of running but they still have failures because they do not this. Its not so spectacular as the wheel arches take the impact.

Also the cars are supposed to remain on the track and cutting corners to the amount they do must present a risk to all the components of the car.

If you assume the puncture idea was the cause then the heat let the tyre go
You have to ask why it has not happenend on this scale before this season There has been at least a couple of circuits that have been high energy ones
The teams seem surprised that there was no warning, except rosberg's stop under safety,
Its the letting go of the tyre thats the mystery that I am sure pirelli will be most concerned about

That aside it was the best race this season
I would like to think rosbergs pressure on vettal and vettals responce found the unreliable bit of the red bull
Webber unshackled was nice to see
Lewis doing what he will be doing the rest of this season
Alonso and Kimi oh so cool and always there

It was interesting that the drivers that got the blowouts were Lewis (fast uses all and more of the track) Perez twice (imaturely fast will use any part of the circuit for an advantage) Massa (known to ride kerbs) vergne Is the only one I dont hear or see much of so cant comment

Asymetrical tyres that is left is left only
So the teams have been swapping them across axels to get max wear
Then lowering pressures to get more contact patch and more grip
Camber angles greater than reccomended by pirelli
Add that to the driving styles of the cars that blew out and the kerbs
its hard to blame pirelli
but I still think, and have since the plastic tyres were first introduced, that ultimatly they are not good for F1 and the core fans

Asymetrical tyres that is left is left only
So the teams have been swapping them across axels to get max wear
Then lowering pressures to get more contact patch and more grip
Camber angles greater than reccomended by pirelli
Add that to the driving styles of the cars that blew out and the kerbs
its hard to blame pirelli
but I still think, and have since the plastic tyres were first introduced, that ultimatly they are not good for F1 and the core fans

Pirelli have answers for everything don't they? I call bull on their response. Tyres that fail after 7 laps are not fit for purpose, even if they aren't being used exactly as specified.

Tyres that fail after 7 laps are not fit for purpose, even if they aren't being used exactly as specified.

FWIW PROPER qualifiers can only do two laps from sticker to bin. That's their fitness for purpose!

I don't share everyone's scorn for Pirelli. They've been working to a specific F1 brief and, as always, clever race engineers have been pushing the envelope beyond what's actually possible.

FWIW PROPER qualifiers can only do two laps from sticker to bin. That's their fitness for purpose!

I don't share everyone's scorn for Pirelli. They've been working to a specific F1 brief and, as always, clever race engineers have been pushing the envelope beyond what's actually possible.

I would agree with this, the real problems are as a result of the FIA not being willing to set rules so cars can race wheel to wheel.

I would agree with this, the real problems are as a result of the FIA not being willing to set rules so cars can race wheel to wheel.

And bernie's crowd turning entertaining racing into an entertainment show

Pirelli have answers for everything don't they? I call bull on their response. Tyres that fail after 7 laps are not fit for purpose, even if they aren't being used exactly as specified.

So do I, if Pirelli are to be believed these "tricks" by the teams must only have started in the last year or so, and prior to that (when the tyres didn't seem to be made out of plastic and paper mâché) the teams never pushed the envelope, never under inflated for grip, never swapped tyres over, never adjusted camber...

Ok, and Santa is real as well :LOL:.

So do I, if Pirelli are to be believed these "tricks" by the teams must only have started in the last year or so, and prior to that (when the tyres didn't seem to be made out of plastic and paper mâché) the teams never pushed the envelope, never under inflated for grip, never swapped tyres over, never adjusted camber...

No, but possibly previous tyres withstood being used outside the parameters laid down by the manufacturer better than the current ones.

Pushing the limits of the tyre's design happens across motorsport. The teams in NASCAR do it as well, under-inflating or using greater camber angles. The consequence of that is the right front fails. In NASCAR they turn left all the time, the right front failing means heading straight to the wall at speeds up to 200mph (depends on the track, at some of them the *slowest* speed during a lap is over 160mph) in a vehicle weighing 3400 lbs.

Not that I've entered an event for a few years, but when I'm competing I run the (Avon crossply slick) tyres on my Davrian at 10psi front and 13psi rear. That's lower than I'm supposed to, but it goes faster that way, and running in a 1400cc class with a 998cc car means I need all the help I can get!

No, but possibly previous tyres withstood being used outside the parameters laid down by the manufacturer better than the current ones.

Pushing the limits of the tyre's design happens across motorsport.

I think the issue (and problem) with F1 is the drive to build artificial weakness into the tyres, it seems Ecclestone & co think having races decided on dodgy tyres will make it more exciting :wacky:.

Pirelli have had problems in bike racing as well,at Monza world superbikes last year the wets could not stand up to the high speeds but you have to think that being an Italian company they would have some idea about conditions at one of their home circuits?

Last edited:
No burst tyres in Germany yet

Old tyres after Germany 2012 design so I bet its a bit of nip and tuck on these for the drivers
Probably a great relief none have gone in practise

Daniel Ricciardo will be testing for Red Bull. Good luck to him I say, I think he deserves Webber's seat.

Daniel Ricciardo will be testing for Red Bull. Good luck to him I say, I think he deserves Webber's seat.

Testing yes, but I'll be surprised if he gets it. It'll go to a big name.

I still reckon it'll be Kimi Raikkonen.

Testing yes, but I'll be surprised if he gets it. It'll go to a big name.

I still reckon it'll be Kimi Raikkonen.

Oh I dunno, if he gets it he'll just be following the same route that Vettel did. Time will tell!

Oh I dunno, if he gets it he'll just be following the same route that Vettel did. Time will tell!

Except Vettel did it when Red Bull where still a mid table team, probably not much different to where Torro Rosso are now.

China 2009 was Red Bull's first pole position in F1, by the newly signed Vettel.

I wonder if Vettel would have got the seat if RB were already a top team.

Well, he had won the 2008 Italian Grand Prix in a Toro Rosso. I don't think the F1 world had any better prospective future Champions going into the 2009 season.

Regardless of his Mateschitz contracts.

Well, he had won the 2008 Italian Grand Prix in a Toro Rosso. I don't think the F1 world had any better prospective future Champions going into the 2009 season.

His one (very wet) win wasn't really a reflection of his season, 35 points and 8th in the drivers championship.

His previous year with Torro Rosso, 6 points for 14th in the championship.

Regardless of his Mateschitz contracts.

;)
Couldn't possibly comment.

:D

Raikkonen and helmut now theres an intresting combination

bianche for massas seat I reckon

Last edited:
Lotus on the podium Hungary along with red bull unless they are unlucky

Eurosport España are reporting that Ferrari are going all out to sign Raikkonen (again). Could this be to replace a Red Bull-bound Alonso? Would love to see Alonso and Vettel in the same team. I see fireworks!

Eurosport España are reporting that Ferrari are going all out to sign Raikkonen (again). Could this be to replace a Red Bull-bound Alonso? Would love to see Alonso and Vettel in the same team. I see fireworks!

I doubt it would work, Alonso has to be number 1 at whatever team he is at, it would never be accepted by Vettel and his supporters.

Heard an interview yesterday with Vettle saying he'd rather Kimi than Alonso, does he feel threatened by any chance. Either way Kimi or Alonso would give him a good run for his money I reckon.

I would have said Kimi was more likely to be replacing Massa than Alonso TBH. Can't see RBR bringing in a driver who's always demanded #1 status (since he's been top flight). I do think FA's days at Ferrari could be numbered though - I can see more toys being gathered in his pram ready for a massive clear out!

37 years ago today Niki Lauda had his awful crash. Who's looking forward to seeing Rush?

and to conclude what is known as the silly season
Apart from Button to Ferrari
There is a story that horner is talking to Mansel

Hi guys, First post here, I was at the young driver test a couple of weeks back and snapped this, (I think not bad) picture.

Last edited:
No mention of that news on Autosport or Pitpass which are generally more reliable than PF1.

Back