The 2019 Disposable Camera Challenge - Chat

Look what's arrived. Colour for me and b&w for him :D

47607435821_76544c2631_c.jpg

2019-04-14_04-41-48 by Janet

Well I can confirm that, for an Ilford HP5 disposable at least, the film winds back into the can and it's as simple as prising the body open with a screwdriver at the obvious places. I got a healthy spark out of the flash capacitor with the screwdriver so it may be worth shorting that but TBH there is no real need to go near it.

Just processed a roll from one :snaphappy:

Have a guess where my Kodak fun saver has been this weekend ?

fun.jpg

I'm just hoping they didn't get a photo of me ! If I hear a stunningly good looking ,sophisticated man is sort in connection with the above I'll know I'm in the clear !

Last edited:
Just had my first disposable camera film back from Photo Express and thought I would post a few of the more experimental ones up. The camera is the Kodak fun saver with 800 ASA film. I'm actually quite impressed with the shots. These are some of the poor ones but there was a surprising amount of keepers. I'm keeping them top secret to go towards my entries for the comp. I thought they may be of interest to anyone else using one for the first time. They are as they came back from processing. It is very easy to get your fingers in the way of the lens !

It's very easy to over expose in bright light ( Idea of the shot was to check exposure in bright light because of the 800asa film)
OVER.JPG

taken about 8 foot away in shadow (to check exposure in these conditions and check focus distance)

KIDS.JPG

Total darkness in deepest Shropshire My lad flattened his battery, again ! I had to drive 10 miles or so to rescue him , at about 6 foot away using flash.( To see how flash worked in total darkness)

DARK.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good Brad, but your "poor ones" are right up there with my "good ones" from the same camera. :banghead:

I'm sort of glad and sad to hear that at the same time Peter !

Have many of you been out playing with you disposable yet ?

Have many of you been out playing with you disposable yet ?
Have mine in my coat pocket. That did mean it did not get used much last weekend as no need for a coat. It does have the advantage of being smaller than even my XA. About half-way through my 27 frames too.

The oilrig yard at Nigg

Once had a day trip to Nigg, was supposed to be longer. Flew Manchester to Inverness, picked up a hire car, got to above site to meet a couple of managers, after 5 minutes metaphorically knocked their heads together, cancelled hotel, drove back to Inverness, got plane to Glasgow, then Manchester and was back in Cheshire by tea time.

Once had a day trip to Nigg, was supposed to be longer. Flew Manchester to Inverness, picked up a hire car, got to above site to meet a couple of managers, after 5 minutes metaphorically knocked their heads together, cancelled hotel, drove back to Inverness, got plane to Glasgow, then Manchester and was back in Cheshire by tea time.
Ah, sounds like the "good old days" rather than the current ownership? :muted: :muted:

Now processed and scanned and I'm completely underwhelmed by my photographic abilities. Probably going to have to get another and hope I'm starting to get my eye in with these.

I happened across the negatives from the last time I did a single use challenge... in 2015! I used an Ilford HP5 camera, with a red filter taped onto the front. I decided the negs looked a little under-exposed, so I decided this time I'd tape an orange filter on the second HP5 camera I bought at the time, instead!

The main disadvantage is I have the edge of the filter cutting right across the "viewfinder", so composition is even more hit and miss than usual. It also makes it quite a bit less pocketable... And the shutter! I think the camera must move about half an inch with the effort to get the shutter pressed!

Now processed and scanned and I'm completely underwhelmed by my photographic abilities. Probably going to have to get another and hope I'm starting to get my eye in with these.

TBH this type of camera just sucks, and having followed the challenge in previous years I've barely seen a single shot that I wouldn't bin if it were taken with decent kit. It's not you, but the piece of plastic junk.

TBH this type of camera just sucks, and having followed the challenge in previous years I've barely seen a single shot that I wouldn't bin if it were taken with decent kit. It's not you, but the piece of plastic junk.
That's the whole idea though isn't it? To at least try to prove the opposite; it's not the camera but the numpty behind the lens that takes the photo. And yes, believe me, this roll was underwhelming whatever "kit" it was snapped with

That's the whole idea though isn't it? To at least try to prove the opposite; it's not the camera but the numpty behind the lens that takes the photo. And yes, believe me, this roll was underwhelming whatever "kit" it was snapped with

I know, but I reckon your soup can pinhole cameras take a better image TBH.

I've just finished scanning an Ilford HP5+ single use that's been sat around since 2015. I shot the other one with a red filter on the front, so for this one I changed to an orange filter, stuck on with sticky tape. The filter goes across the viewfinder, which does make framing a little tricky (and it shows!). A few light leaks, sadly not the interesting kind.

It wasn't until I'd got to the end that I realised I was at the beginning! I scanned it from frame number 1 onwards, but I should have scanned it starting at frame 27 (or 30, in this case). It doesn't matter really, but it's just annoying, as they'll sort the wrong way round in Aperture and I'll forget why they're like that!

Rename the files? Or does Aperture sort by scan date/time?

SnappySnaps will be doing the DP&S for me so shouldn't have a problem (not too sure that the results will be worth cataloguing too carefully!!!)

Rename the files? Or does Aperture sort by scan date/time?

SnappySnaps will be doing the DP&S for me so shouldn't have a problem (not too sure that the results will be worth cataloguing too carefully!!!)

Aperture sorts by date/time, which causes problems when some files from Filmdev comeback with zeros in the date/time field! (I've talked to them about it, appears to be files which have had some extra editing, but I'm disappointed they haven't fixed it ater more than a year.)

You're right, these are not going to be shots of major lasting value!

I've been scuppered on my second 'single-use' camera. Spotted the new thread this morning and unpacked it. It was never a single-use camera - was originally a Carrefour loaded with 400 IS0 - which they refilled, later got refilled by another company with 200 ISO and put in a cardboard wrapper. It does say 'Single-use' on the outer wrapper but once inside see this on the bottom, further unwrapping showed its longer history. So will have to go with the first no-flash camera shots.

20190601_093114.jpg

That's a shame, David.

I've been scuppered on my second 'single-use' camera. Spotted the new thread this morning and unpacked it. It was never a single-use camera - was originally a Carrefour loaded with 400 IS0 - which they refilled, later got refilled by another company with 200 ISO and put in a cardboard wrapper. It does say 'Single-use' on the outer wrapper but once inside see this on the bottom, further unwrapping showed its longer history. So will have to go with the first no-flash camera shots.

View attachment 246558

IMO that still qualifies as a single use camera - it says so on the front and bottom of the cardboard cover so it must be true! The fact that it's been recycled is a good thing, although the fact that the original was ISO 400 but has now been reloaded with ISO 200 might result in underexposure, particularly with 12 year out of date fillum!

Where are people buying their SUCs? I had a wander through Amazon today and prices seem daft for 27 exposures.

Back