The 52 Weeks of Daysleeping Pt 2 - WEEK 52!!! (Texture)

respect - well composed imo but looks a little over exposed in places.
friendship - looks like great fun and its nice to see some thing different.
fresh start is a great take on the theme and an excellent shot :D

Thankyou for the comments everyone :)

I have been trying to catch up with everyone elses threads this week but it has turned into a mamouth task - if I havn't got to your thread yet I'm sorry :bonk: - I will get there eventually!

SO... onto Week 39 (can't believe we've got this far!) and Passion.

I bought some passion fruit and spent a good few hours trying to shoot them before admitting it was not working and scrapped that idea :thumbsdown:

There was only one thing for it - it was time to break out the Blue Peter kit :nuts:

For this photo I would need:

1. Silhouette's printed sneakily at work as we don't have a printer.
2. One black baking tray.
3. Scissors.
4. Sellotape.
5. One can of tango drink... minus the drink.
6. Two lamps.
7. Some thin wire.
8. My camera.

put this lot together and you end up with...

The Dance of Passion:

Week39-Passion.jpg

:D

Things I learnt:

1. How to have fun with this challange again - not everything has to be deadly serious.
2. It would have been better if the outline of the dancers at the front had been orange - the feet are black and have melted into the background.
3. I'm not very good at cutting out.

Last edited:
Excellent, inventive and clever. Well done indeed (y) It fits the theme nicely, and taking on some danger just to get the shot (cutting a drinks can...)

(y) Glad that you're having fun again.

Tango . . . fab idea and really inventive execution. It looks like you had a great time putting this together.

I saw this last night, but it was one I wanted to come back to before commenting.
Last night I struggled a bit to work out what I was looking at - I couldn't quite make out what the shapes were until I read the words and realised that they were dancers.
I was right to wait and come back to it though, because now I can see the dancers' silhouettes really clearly. I must have been tired last night . . . or those couple of glasses of wine had something to do with it.

Love this shot. My only niggle, and it's the one that you mentioned yourself, is that the black portions are merging into the background. Maybe a fiery, passionate red or something might have worked a bit better as the backdrop.

WOW nice shots here. I just wanted to say I love the first shot in this thread of the owl. Amazing capture.

Excellent, inventive and clever. Well done indeed (y) It fits the theme nicely, and taking on some danger just to get the shot (cutting a drinks can...)

That's me - I laugh in the face of danger :D

:LOL: like the idea, well done! (y)

Thankyou

(y) Glad that you're having fun again.

Tango . . . fab idea and really inventive execution. It looks like you had a great time putting this together.

I saw this last night, but it was one I wanted to come back to before commenting.
Last night I struggled a bit to work out what I was looking at - I couldn't quite make out what the shapes were until I read the words and realised that they were dancers.
I was right to wait and come back to it though, because now I can see the dancers' silhouettes really clearly. I must have been tired last night . . . or those couple of glasses of wine had something to do with it.

Love this shot. My only niggle, and it's the one that you mentioned yourself, is that the black portions are merging into the background. Maybe a fiery, passionate red or something might have worked a bit better as the backdrop.

Thanks Sarah - I was a bit worried people would look at it and not have a clue what was going on... I'm glad it made sense once the wine wore off! :p

What a fantastic, clever, brilliant idea. Reading the list of items you used gave me no indication of what you were doing. :bonk:

It's a terrific, fun shot, bang on theme - and I don't thing the black feet spoil it at all. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

You're too kind to me... but I'm not going to argue because this week I'm not allowed to say "I'm not really happ..." ;)

Why thankyou (y)

WOW nice shots here. I just wanted to say I love the first shot in this thread of the owl. Amazing capture.

Thanks clicktor - glad you like it :)

took me a while to figure out (no pun intended ;)) as what was going on in the photo, but I'm finding it growing on me. (y)

Week 40 - Water

Well and truly in the box but somebody had to do it... have been meaning to try water drops for ages and this was my first attempt:

Week40-Water.jpg

This week I learned two things:

1. I need an off camera flash - this was taken with the pop up flash on my camera.
2. I don't get on with tripods - I ended up taking this hand held, I'm sure it would be sharper if I had managed with the tripod.

Edit: I've posted my other shots from today here...

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=171338

Last edited:
Wow, for a hand held, no off camera flash, that is pretty amazing! Love the suspended droplets. Wow! (y)

Thankyou :D

You'll be sick of seeing these soon - it's very addictive so I can see myself posting a lot more of them!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done!
I can't believe that was hand-held. I've tried these and it's hard enough getting the timing right without worrying about holding the camera steady.

Fab colours and you really couldn't get much closer on theme.

I'm glad that you haven't told us that you're not happy with your shot this week. There's absolutely nothing not to like about it at all . . . in fact there's a lot to like.

I'll pop over and have a look at your others later (y)

WOW! That is blinking well spot on!! :clap: :clap: :clap, well done you!! Love this, and the blue is striking!

(y)

Well done!
I can't believe that was hand-held. I've tried these and it's hard enough getting the timing right without worrying about holding the camera steady.

Fab colours and you really couldn't get much closer on theme.

I'm glad that you haven't told us that you're not happy with your shot this week. There's absolutely nothing not to like about it at all . . . in fact there's a lot to like.

I'll pop over and have a look at your others later (y)

Thankyou both so much - I'm prepared to admit that I actually am quite happy with this one too (y)

But not completely happy... which is why I've had a reshoooooot day today :D

I do like the blue in the first one but I wasn't sure if it would be more interesting with a multicoloured BG. I also thought it could be sharper. So today I have been making use of all the tankini tops that I never wear but can't bring myself to throw away (I knew they'd come in handy one day!) and came up with this:

Water (Reshoot)
Week40b-WaterReshoot.jpg

Looking at them again I'd say I'm happier with the sharpness of this one - but I think the blue one fits the theme better.

ay ay ay - so late! :( Sorry!

Fresh Start; I do like spider macros and this is no exception! Nicely framed and shot - love the dewyness :) :)

Passion: oh clever idea, the black bits do merge with the bg which is a shame but 100% for inventiveness and creativity - :clap:

Water: You've taken shots that have been on my want list for ages! Both excellent but #1 does it for me for the vibrancy of teh colours and sharpness of the droplets! Ace!! :clap::clap:

great water shots, I've just become addicted to these too...you always end up thinking "I'll keep trying might get something better" even if the ones you've already taken have reached the mark, I always seem to want to try again! love the second one.

great 52 so far, keep it up! :D

Vi x

ay ay ay - so late! :( Sorry!

Fresh Start; I do like spider macros and this is no exception! Nicely framed and shot - love the dewyness :) :)

Passion: oh clever idea, the black bits do merge with the bg which is a shame but 100% for inventiveness and creativity - :clap:

Water: You've taken shots that have been on my want list for ages! Both excellent but #1 does it for me for the vibrancy of teh colours and sharpness of the droplets! Ace!! :clap::clap:

Thanks John ;)

Excellent start to your new addiction, DS. (y)

I share your dislike of tripods, but not your steady hand - well done. I'd be delighted if my first try came out as well as either of these two. :)

Jean

Maybe if I had a better tripod I'd get on with it a bit better. I know what I'll be asking for from Santa I suppose!

great water shots, I've just become addicted to these too...you always end up thinking "I'll keep trying might get something better" even if the ones you've already taken have reached the mark, I always seem to want to try again! love the second one.

great 52 so far, keep it up! :D

Vi x

Thanks Vi - just been over to have a shufty at your 365 and you've got some great shots. A 365 takes a lot more determination than a 52 - and I have the rest of the 52'ers to keep me going. Kudos to you for starting your project and I'll be following your progress ;)

Water Reshoot - it's officially blimming possible, you CAN improve on an already brilliant shot, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the reshoot, such amazing texture to it, and it LOOKS like water[which it obv is!! :LOL:]

:clap::clap: very well done, both excellent, but I think the first just takes it.

two excellent shots, nothing more to be said! :)

Catch up time

Dance of passion is a great shot, lighting, colours, composition all perfect imo (y)

Water - well i'm a big fan of water drops and these 2 are great examples :D

Catch up

Passion - wow some thought went into that didn't it, very clever and very well executed, love it. :clap:
Water (1) simple, vibrant & sharp all boxes ticked, love it. (Did you really take it a f25? if so why, in my naivety I'd have thought f8 to f10?)
Water (2) love the different colours but it doesn't work quite as well for me.
Mark(y)

Passion - well first of all I'm glad you didn't end up in A&E like Dark Star when he played with sharpobjects:(

Such creativity can only be applauded :clap::clap::clap::clap: although a red background may have helped it all stand out. I had the same problem with my teapot in the Mono week.

Water - #1 is fantastic and I love the colours here :clap::clap:

Water - #2 would be fantastic too if it wasn't for #1 :D. You've spoilt us this week

Water Reshoot - it's officially blimming possible, you CAN improve on an already brilliant shot, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the reshoot, such amazing texture to it, and it LOOKS like water[which it obv is!! :LOL:]

:D well you've just made me very happy!

Water: no.1 for me :)....

It is hard knowing when to stop doing these shots....you think..."just one more"..."just one more"....hehe

Well done....it takes a bit of effort to set the shot up...but worth it....

I spent HOURS doing these last weekend... very very addictive.

:clap::clap: very well done, both excellent, but I think the first just takes it.

Thanks - #1 seems to be the most popular so far.

Catch up

Passion - wow some thought went into that didn't it, very clever and very well executed, love it. :clap:
Water (1) simple, vibrant & sharp all boxes ticked, love it. (Did you really take it a f25? if so why, in my naivety I'd have thought f8 to f10?)
Water (2) love the different colours but it doesn't work quite as well for me.
Mark(y)

Thankyou for taking the time to catch up and comment on all of my shots ;)

Interesting point about the water shot - why do you think f8 / f10 would been better? I have no idea tbh - I just messed with the settings until I came up with something I liked. I was using the raynox 150 which makes the DOF very shallow so I thought a high f number would be best :thinking:

Catch up time

Dance of passion is a great shot, lighting, colours, composition all perfect imo (y)

Water - well i'm a big fan of water drops and these 2 are great examples :D

Thankyou - I might reshoot passion at some point with a different colour BG but I'm glad you like it.

two excellent shots, nothing more to be said! :)

I'm happy to leave it at that if you are ;):D

Passion - well first of all I'm glad you didn't end up in A&E like Dark Star when he played with sharpobjects:(

Such creativity can only be applauded :clap: although a red background may have helped it all stand out. I had the same problem with my teapot in the Mono week.

Water - #1 is fantastic and I love the colours here :clap::clap:

Water - #2 would be fantastic too if it wasn't for #1 :D. You've spoilt us this week

Thanks Bruja - it was a close call. DS with scissors and other sharp metal objects is a perilous combination!

Week 41 - Out of Context

Well I still have a day to go and if I get the chance to improve on this because I'm sure it's not the best I can do. I have only had one do-able idea so far and this is my effort:

Week41-OutofContext.jpg

The positive:

This gave me a chance to practise my PP skills (used layers / eraser brush to do this in Paint Shop Pro X2)

The not so positive:

I think I need more practise!! :D

I am struggling to be enthusiastic about this theme but if inspiration hits tomorrow I'll see if I can post something a bit more exciting.

Edit to say I may as well post the rejects because they are all a bit dodgy and I'd love some feedback on how to improve them apart from being less clumsy with the eraser tool!

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Hi catch up time from me...

Passion...that's such a brilliant idea, and it works so well...well worth the time and effort you had to do to make it happen...:clap:

Water...Damn that's so good...I'm wanting to have a go now...:D fantastic colour...

Reshoot...now your just showing off...:p

Another great shot to be proud of...your very good at these sort of shots...:clap:

Out of Context...He He He that another good idea and one I wouldn't have ever thought of...:clap::clap::clap: and you executed it beautifully...(y)

Hi catch up time from me...

Passion...that's such a brilliant idea, and it works so well...well worth the time and effort you had to do to make it happen...:clap:

Water...Damn that's so good...I'm wanting to have a go now...:D fantastic colour...

Reshoot...now your just showing off...:p

Another great shot to be proud of...your very good at these sort of shots...:clap:

Out of Context...He He He that another good idea and one I wouldn't have ever thought of...:clap::clap::clap: and you executed it beautifully...(y)

Thankyou - you should definately try the water drop thing... it's fun, if a little frustrating!

Very clever! I never thought of this. Nice PP too (y)

Thankyou - I don't do all that much PP usually and I've realised that I'm only going to get better if I practise. I find it all so fiddly!

Now these are my type of shots!!!!!

My favourite is actually No.3, even though you rejected it. I just love the angle and composition on that one.
Lovely clean black background and the Lemon is brilliantly lit, sharp, detailed . . . just absolutely spot on.

Well done with the PP. You know that I'm going through the same learning curve myself and I wouldn't have a clue how to do what you've done on this one (y)

Very well done DS... The PP has worked very nicely, it's a good interpretation of a tough theme.

Back