The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Is that eBay less fees you reckon?

Asking as thinking just bought 5K mac sad and 32gb ram toying with a switch for the rm2

One sold on Wex used yesterday 1750 sold fast

As of yet the used places (WEX/MPB) don't seem to have caught up with the price rises, I was offered what I'll only describe as a derisory amount for some kit v the current market price by MPB last week.

If I got £2k for the body I'd be happy :) will wait and see how the market goes over the next few weeks.

Is that eBay less fees you reckon?

Asking as thinking just bought 5K mac sad and 32gb ram toying with a switch for the rm2

One sold on Wex used yesterday 1750 sold fast

You don't see too many used a7r2's for sale so I think demand is quite high. It seemed going rate for used ones a few weeks ago (the golden age) was around £1,700 - so I'd think now that the cheapest grey a7rii is £2,200 ish rather than £2,000 - the wex deal seems like a steal.

After i am done shooting the f1 GP in germany in a few weeks, my 5d3 going on ebay or something as i feel the 5d4 will be announced or i may end up with a1dx2 as a replacement

I'd be surprised if we don't see similar rises here in UK as well to be honest. Apart from any bargains on Prime day tomorrow, I think I'm done spending for now ;)

In ours will be worse, if they directly convert prices from euros/dollars to pounds.

Maybe I'm getting old too. I'm not interested in video, wifi, instagram or friendface and the first thing I do is go through the menu and turn it all off. All I need are the usual suspects of shutter, iso, aperture, exposure and metering etc... and how to format the card and change the date and time. I think the most complicated thing I do with my cameras is adjust the flash output but as the A7 doesn't have one that's one less thing to worry about.

As for inherited pigs ears this really shouldn't be an issue as all they need is a configuable system which at the very most is an extra chip and some programing time. It's just amazing that companies open themselves up to this critisism. All they need to do is have a default menu for people like me who don't care and the ability to set it up how the modern crowd want :D Maybe it'll cost an extra 2p per unit.

Backing up slightly - coming from a 7D to the A7R2, the menus did feel more clunky and lot less intuitive. Some of the options just seem to have been arbitrarily assigned onto a page without much thought as to what else is on the page. Other parts are missing making it more fiddly to use.

Examples:
- Occasionally I've used the panorama stitch mode - turning this on, to change the direction of sweep, you have to open the menu 1 > panorama direction > set.. Would it not be easier to use the d-pad to set direction?
- Menu 1: Mostly image quality related, then two panorama options, only available in panorama mode.
- Menu 2: Mostly video related, except randomly putting in bracketing settings
- Menus 3 & 4 both share focus settings. but split between two pages. Why not move all focus items to 3, then leave flash and compensation on to page 4?

...and so on (and on). It's not that the menus are hard to move around in, just that you couldn't hand it over to a newbie and they'd know where to find a given setting. Why not just have a "Focus settings" page, rather than "Menu 3"?

I liked Canon's setting of having a "favourites" page available too where you could stick your most commonly changed settings. Most can be done via configuring other buttons, but it's still a nice feature.

In other news, holiday in Canada booked, so looking forward to that!

Wowza. Bit of a surprise that.

Here's the bit on the rumor site...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/hot-sony-announces-fe-50mm-f1-4-za-prime-lens/#disqus_thread

And DPR with samples here...

http://www.dpreview.com/samples/7186523187/sony-planar-fe-50mm-f1-4-za-sample-gallery

Steve Huff review...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/...zeiss-50-f1-4-full-lens-review-by-steve-huff/

Steve sez...

"This is a 50mm f.1.4 that I can finally say compares well with a $4k Leica 50 Summilux or $7k Leica 50 APO or even the $4k Zeiss Otus which many regard as the best fast 50 ever. In some ways, I prefer this Zeiss (color and 3D) but the Leica will always be a legend due to the performance and TINY small size it brings to the table. There is nothing quite like a Leica M and 50 Lux when it comes to size and feel and simplicity but there is also nothing quite like this new Zeiss 50 on an A7RII as it allows us to shoot in ANY situation, day or night and always rewards with an in focus image, fantastic color, and all of the good things we associate with a great Zeiss lens design.

My friends, this is one of the best 50mm lenses I have ever shot with. (Zeiss Otus Review underway now, so will let you know what I think of the difference in THAT review)"

Stand by for a chorus of "It's too big and heavy for an A7 body and you might as well have bought a Canon/Nikon/ Fuji and you can get a Sigma Art for less and the woman from Sigma comes and gives you a massage too" comments.

All of which may be true but we are where we are and so far there's only one Sony FE 50mm f1.4.

Last edited:
Looks lovely. Fair few Sony lenses having the aperture control on the lens now.

$1,500 will likely mean around £1,300..I'd have to stick with the amazing Zeiss 55 1.8

Unless you want f1.4 and/or one of the best 50's ever then the 55mm f1.8 still makes a lot of sense especially as it too is one of the best 50's ever :D

I liked my Sigma 50mm f1.4 but I can't see myself spending over a £k on a lens or living with the bulk. I think the 55mm f1.8 will stay the one for me.

I can see this selling though and well.

They already have the stellar 55mm f1.8, I'd be surprised if this offered a significant jump over that - it's not like Canon/Nikon land where the 50mm f1.8s are pretty low quality. The 55mm is tack sharp wide open and the situations in which the minor flaws show up are few and far between.

With Sony now having three ~50mm lenses and a couple of native 3rd party 50s, it's annoying to see this released before something like a 135mm or a >200mm telephoto.

Have you read the Steve Huff review? He's saying that this new 50 is very good indeed.
I don't doubt for a second that it's anything but outstanding, but it's not like we were hurting for a high quality 50mm. It just seems like the lens design and manufacture time and energy could have been better spent elsewhere.

As pointed out in Steve's review other systems have multiple 50mm offerings so Sony aren't exactly on their own having just three. They seem to be building a high qulaity f1.4 line up, maybe to fill what they see as gaps in the existing line up or maybe to match the capabilities of future higher mp count bodies which we can only speculate about.

As to what people want and what sells, I don't know the figures but I'd imagine that someone at Sony has done the sums and thinks that a high quality 50mm is the way to go rather than a 135 or 200mm. Look at what Sigma has done with high end lenses in recent years, no 135 or 200 either.

Maybe a 135mm will be next or maybe they'll do a top end 24 or 28mm?

Last edited:
Why is the Zeiss Loxia 50mm never a contender or even mentioned? Because it is not autofocus? Because it is too slow? Did I buy a pig in a poke? LOL.
Never seems to be compared or considered.

Not that I'm tempted by another 50mm at this time; I too would like to see a top quality 180/200mm prime.

As pointed out in Steve's review other systems have multiple 50mm offerings so Sony aren't exactly on their own having just three. They seem to be building a high qulaity f1.4 line up, maybe to fill what they see as gaps in the existing line up or maybe to match the capabilities of future higher mp count bodies which we can only speculate about.

As to what people want and what sells, I don't know the figures but I'd imagine that someone at Sony has done the sums and thinks that a high quality 50mm is the way to go rather than a 135 or 200mm. Look at what Sigma has done with high end lenses in recent years, no 135 or 200 either.

Maybe a 135mm will be next or maybe they'll do a top end 24 or 28mm?

A 50mm will sell better than a 135 or fast 200. Thats what its all about.

A 50mm will sell better than a 135 or fast 200. Thats what its all about.

Yup. We may think Sony are wasting their time and should be off designing a 135mm but in our calmer moments we may accept that Sony know better.

I could see them redoing the 35mm f1.4. The internet is awash with complaints of softness down one side etc and whilst these may only be a fraction of the market and the lens may in reality be quite good return wise the build seems to be rather labour intensive (all those shims...) so I could see them redoing it.

Last edited:
Morning friends.

I'll be putting in the classifieds the hss flash and trigger/receiver set later. Flash has been fired literally about 10 times and the trigger hasn't been used.

Sneak peak of my trip. No editing yet these are straight to my phone from the camera.

DSC02002 by treboraj20, on Flickr

DSC02036 by treboraj20, on Flickr

Managed to get about a fair bit.

Balos Bay
Gramvousa
Spinalonga
Samaria Gorge (largest in europe)
Knossos (oldest city in europe)

Last edited:
ooooh, looks nice :D

Anyone tempted to new big fat and expensive but very nice 50mm f1.4?

Last edited:
I saw an 85mm Batis in a shop this morning ... also saw the 24-70 f2.8 G which impressed me for its compactness and light weight, and an A7R body. Put together with the 80-200 f2.8 and you will have a pro system, no doubts in my mind. Watch out Nikon & Canon.

Of even greater interest to me was a bit of gossip, apparently there may be a longer Loxia out in September...maybe a 135 or so?

Got fed up with work about lunchtime, so popped down to Golitha Falls on Bodmin Moor.

I ordered a screen calibrator yesterday, that arrives tomorrow, so want to hold off on editing, but liked this shot SOOC:
Golitha Falls by David Black, on Flickr
I know it's a little under exposed (tend to do this and pull up in post) but quite like this shot. Beats being in the office anyway :)

That's lovely was it handheld or tripod?

I like that a lot, I'm laid up after a car crash on Saturday, gagging to get out.... Lovely shot, look forward to the edited version..

Back