The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

my only/main disappointment so far is the 5stops IBIS. Canon is doing 7-8 stops that actually works really effectively. I am surprised Sony aren't able to match that.... small mount limitation perhaps?

As soon as the first person gets an A1 were going to need a thread title change.

if we both sell our A7RIV, I bet we can afford one between us.
you keep 6 months and i keep 6 months
deal? :ROFLMAO:
I could be up for that :LOL:
you all missed the important part i.e. the unseen part.... it has lossless compression!!
Finally (y)
I don't get the big deal with this, just import as DNG from uncompressed RAW.
I mean obviously it's good for this camera as at 30fps you want to maximise storage.

I wonder how big the buffer is our can it write to the cards fast enough.

First we lost the mirror, next to go will be the shutter.
Covnerting to DNG is fine for use in LR, but for writing cards to the file then lossless compression would be more than welcome, especially as Sony still don’t seem to be able to allow most camera functions whilst data is being written to the card.
my only/main disappointment so far is the 5stops IBIS. Canon is doing 7-8 stops that actually works really effectively. I am surprised Sony aren't able to match that.... small mount limitation perhaps?
Maybe it’s frame rate and fast shutter readout speed?

@Fuji Dave I was going to ask if you had ordered yet.
I'm pretty impressed with this, way above anything I will ever need. My first thought was I wish they would stick that EVF on the a7c and I would be sold.
Then I saw the ethernet port, I'm a network engineer so I instantly wanted one
Give it 2 or 3 years and this might reach affordability for us mere mortals..

I am just about to pull the trigger on either ann A9 II or A7R IV but was having second thoughts about Canon or even just waiting it out for Nikon to produce a decent camera. Sony have blazed a trail again with this announcement but I guess I could own a R5 for about 2 or 3 years before an Alpha 1 gets to £3.5K. Some of the features will hopefully drip down to the A7R range and that is likely where I will invest now. Might buy a few Lotto tickets this week though

The naming convention now makes no sense. Is a low or high numbers that are meant to denote higher tier products?

The most exciting thing about the A1 for me is that Sony have finally introduced Lossless Compressed RAW. Certain to be in the A7IV.

Incredible camera on paper, and for the market it's aimed at, the £6500 price tag won't be much of a stumbling block. Will be interesting to see how much of the tech trickles down to the next A7. Proper silent shooting would be nice.

Oh I want two, the price isn’t pleasant - but it solves my a9 problems - flicker, e shutter flash and I look forward to some iso improvements.

The rest is icing on the cake

Selling some bits at the moment, will then get two A1 and sell my A9 after.
i wont be far behind u too!

I will sell my A9 and most likely the a7r3 too and just have one camera lol

This camera looks incredible, from the specs at least:-

50mp with high fps and blackout free shooting (great for sports and birding as has plenty of cropping potential)
15 stops DR (great for landscapes)
Insane resolution EVF with high refresh
Antiflicker with electronic shutter as well as mecahnical
1/200 flash sync with electronic shutter, 1/400 with mechanical
Improved real time tracking with human and animal eye AF as well as bird eye af
Lossless compression (finally)
And some video stuff for the videographers ;)

I think this is genuinely the first all camera does everything, but of course it comes at an enormous cost.

Last edited:
This camera looks incredible, from the specs at least:-

50mp with high fps and blackout free shooting (great for sports and birding as has plenty of cropping potential)
15 stops DR (great for landscapes)
Insane resolution EVF with high refresh
Antiflicker with electronic shutter as well as mecahnical
1/200 flash sync with electronic shutter, 1/400 with mechanical
Improved real time tracking with human and animal eye AF as well as bird eye af
Lossless compression (finally)
And some video stuff for the videographers ;)

I think this is genuinely the first all camera does everything, but of course it comes at an enormous cost.

The only thing they haven't improved is the IBIS

2 stops is plenty for normal use. 3-4-5-stops I don't see much point. 6+ stops let's you handhold down 1-2s which is again useful. I could leave my tripod at home sometimes with that.
It can be yeah for sure. Of course if it was possible I'd love 20 stops, but 5 stops is still good especially considering what else you get. I could handhold the Olympus EM1 at 2s at a push and that's 5 stops IIRC.

It can be yeah for sure. Of course if it was possible I'd love 20 stops, but 5 stops is still good especially considering what else you get. I could handhold the Olympus EM1 at 2s at a push and that's 5 stops IIRC.
Personally I can't handhold A7RIV for less 1/2s-1/3s

The most exciting thing about the A1 for me is that Sony have finally introduced Lossless Compressed RAW. Certain to be in the A7IV.

Incredible camera on paper, and for the market it's aimed at, the £6500 price tag won't be much of a stumbling block. Will be interesting to see how much of the tech trickles down to the next A7. Proper silent shooting would be nice.
Yeah I was just thinking I couldn't fit enough photos on my 256Gb card when using uncompressed RAW. Lol

I must be missing the point that some people see where this is such a big deal.

Ages that Sony need to improve IBIS, you can never have enough stops compensation.

Last edited:

When it comes to working for several hours with a 70-200 @ 200mm, I'm just about ok with 1/125th - any lower and I get blur from camera movement.

Unfortunately at 1/125th and f2.8 i'm still hitting ISO 6400..

so hoping for cleaner ISO too

Last edited:
I've not actually tried with the A7RIV tbh, I did struggle to get lower then 1/2 with the Z7 though.

Funny how all of a sudden the A7IV's and A9's etc are all crap.... :LOL:

They aren't crap, but they are not perfect.

I've had to shoot theatre at slow shutter speeds to avoid banding, which meant I couldn't freeze the faster action.
The mechanical shutter on the A9 is clunky and I find more trouble than it's worth.

banding rears it's ugly head elsewhere too, it causes me stress - the A1 can fix this, so I'm in!

Funny how all of a sudden the A7IV's and A9's etc are all crap.... :LOL:
Nothing wrong with the A7RIV, but AF tracking subjects coming towards the camera has always been its achilles heal and now you can have everything,....... at a cost.

at that price I want its animal and bird eyeAF to trounce canon R5's. otherwise I will just buy a R5 for £3K less :p

at that price I want its animal and bird eyeAF to trounce canon R5's. otherwise I will just buy a R5 for £3K less :p
Have R5’s dropped that much already :eek:

Funny how all of a sudden the A7IV's and A9's etc are all crap.... [emoji38]
I would say still say for landscapers the a7r4 would be a better bet. More res, similar dynamic range and literally half the price, if not more so. For all other uses though this is an incredible camera with a remarkable list of abilities.

And apples and oranges but I got a 50mp medium format digital camera for pretty much half the price. OK its a more limited tool with a smaller remit but that price....yikes...

Unless you really need that incredibly high frame rate and AF everywhere on the frame I'm not quite sure this is the way to spend £6000 on a camera. This is Hasselblad money here...

Last edited:
Sony just need to learn how to make their cameras ‘pretty’ now :LOL:

Back