The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

But thought on the A9ii the shutter closed when changing lenses to prevent dust issues.
I believe it's optional.
Closing the shutter will prevent dust from outside reaching the sensor while the lens is removed, but dust can still get into the rear element space of the lens, or the area of the mount in front of the shutter, and when you then attach the lens and the shutter opens, any such dust can get onto the sensor - so it's a partial solution.
The downside is that you risk damaging the shutter via contact when the lens is removed.

Given that shutter failure can totally prevent the camera working, and replacement is very expensive, while dust bunnies are usually only visible at smaller apertures, and can be removed in post and sensor cleaning is cheap, I'm not sure if it's an option I'd use.

long time back bought a really cheap one:

Still works and its good enough for me.

if i were buying today I'd spend slightly more on this one (the LEDs seems better placed):

But thought on the A9ii the shutter closed when changing lenses to prevent dust issues.
Thanks, I was actually looking at those Loupe's earlier. I do set the shutter to close on switching the camera off, but as above it's only a partial solution. A weird warning comes up when you use this function as it says do not expose the camera to light for long periods with the lens cap off, but I'd have thought this would have been more of a problem with the shutter open, i.e. exposing the sensor to light :thinking:

I believe it's optional.
Closing the shutter will prevent dust from outside reaching the sensor while the lens is removed, but dust can still get into the rear element space of the lens, or the area of the mount in front of the shutter, and when you then attach the lens and the shutter opens, any such dust can get onto the sensor - so it's a partial solution.
The downside is that you risk damaging the shutter via contact when the lens is removed.

Given that shutter failure can totally prevent the camera working, and replacement is very expensive, while dust bunnies are usually only visible at smaller apertures, and can be removed in post and sensor cleaning is cheap, I'm not sure if it's an option I'd use.
I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I'm not sure how you would damage the shutter changing lenses?

I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I'm not sure how you would damage the shutter changing lenses?
you could catch it with your finger nail when changing a lens in the heat of the moment quickly . that could wreck the shutter but may not hurt the sensor.
Rob.

By being clumsy!

The problem is that the shutter mechanism is very thin and light (to allow it to move at high speeds), so it is comparatively delicate in respect of an impact, and even a small deformation will potentially lead to failure when the shutter mechanism opens / closes (as the blades of the shutter needs to slide over each other with very fine tolerances).

For most people, who take care with their kit, it's a low risk - but of course it's the same people who most need a closed shutter (IE those that carelessly take of lenses without regard for any dust / debris that may be flying around) that are most likely to then accidentally bash the shutter with their fingers when changing lenses!

you could catch it with your finger nail when changing a lens in the heat of the moment quickly . that could wreck the shutter but may not hurt the sensor.
Rob.
By being clumsy!

The problem is that the shutter mechanism is very thin and light (to allow it to move at high speeds), so it is comparatively delicate in respect of an impact, and even a small deformation will potentially lead to failure when the shutter mechanism opens / closes (as the blades of the shutter needs to slide over each other with very fine tolerances).

For most people, who take care with their kit, it's a low risk - but of course it's the same people who most need a closed shutter (IE those that carelessly take of lenses without regard for any dust / debris that may be flying around) that are most likely to then accidentally bash the shutter with their fingers when changing lenses!
To be fair I'm extremely cautious and all my gear tends to remain in pristine condition (famous last words ;)) but even indoors there's dust floating around that inevitably can end up on the sensor :facepalm: I get that the sensor's delicate, but to an extent the mirror of a DSLR is too and I never worried about catching that with my finger etc (y)

Last edited:
Nice, love that they're putting the aperture ring on more and more lenses. Really suites the A7C with one dial. Love the tactile feel of an aperture ring.
I have an aperture ring on my Sigma 85mm but never use it, it's on f1.4 and stays there :LOL: Joking aside, I actually prefer using the control dial (y)

@woof woof I remember you asking about the aperture ring markings on the 20mm. When I go either way they line up perfectly, there is a faction of a mm play really really tiny amount but it always centres on the line.

Nice, love that they're putting the aperture ring on more and more lenses. Really suites the A7C with one dial. Love the tactile feel of an aperture ring as well.
Wonder how they decide which lenses get one.

basically all G and GM primes gets an aperture ring.
The cheaper "consumer" primes and zooms don't.

basically all G and GM primes gets an aperture ring.
The cheaper "consumer" primes and zooms don't.
Excluding the big tele primes. I'm not sure whether you can have the function ring operate as an aperture control though?

Last edited:
Excluding the big zoom primes. I'm not sure whether you can have the function ring operate as an aperture control though?

zoom primes? where can i buy one? :ROFLMAO:
but don't see why not. the option not available on e-mount for some reason (unless you buy recent samyang primes)

Get excited, this lens is extremely good. Have only ran a few random frames off but it was obvious straight away that this is the best 35 I have used.

I have written a stern email to LCE to send to Sony. :ROFLMAO:
not that it'll make any difference.
If it was panamoz they'd have probably offered me £20 back :p
having said that its out of stock on panamoz again and they have increased the price to £1350.

I have written a stern email to LCE to send to Sony. :ROFLMAO:
not that it'll make any difference.
If it was panamoz they'd have probably offered me £20 back :p
having said that its out of stock on panamoz again and they have increased the price to £1350.

Have they :ROFLMAO:

Luckily I got on it when I did then. After I got mine I dropped a few messages and it seemed to spread like wildfire that they had some stock, not surprised they moved quickly half of my photography friends bought one.

As an amusing aside, this afternoon when I was wandering around (sorry, exercising) with my A7C and Oly 200mm, another gent out “exercising“ with his Nikon 750 stopped me and asked what that “nice old camera” was. I told him, and he enquired what size of film it took. He then proceeded to extol the benefits of the local camera club, of which he was an official. He said they helped “people like me” to take better photos. Surprisingly, I declined his invitation. He walked away, with his beautiful collie (a pedigree, he said) by his side. I couldn’t help calling after him that he had a lovely poodle.

As an amusing aside, this afternoon when I was wandering around (sorry, exercising) with my A7C and Oly 200mm, another gent out “exercising“ with his Nikon 750 stopped me and asked what that “nice old camera” was. I told him, and he enquired what size of film it took. He then proceeded to extol the benefits of the local camera club, of which he was an official. He said they helped “people like me” to take better photos. Surprisingly, I declined his invitation. He walked away, with his beautiful collie (a pedigree, he said) by his side. I couldn’t help calling after him that he had a lovely poodle.

HaHa. I don’t think there are any pedigree collies. Pretty sure the kennel club does not recognise them.

zoom primes? where can i buy one? :ROFLMAO:
but don't see why not. the option not available on e-mount for some reason (unless you buy recent samyang primes)
Oops :ROFLMAO: Corrected now (y)

Lucky enough to be able to get pretty close to these near where i live. Also, love the 24-105. Something about the colours and contrast of the lens :)

What level of rain are you all comfortable exposing your A7 cameras to? Makes me nervous when they say "weather sealed, but if it breaks because of water ingress your on your own"

What level of rain are you all comfortable exposing your A7 cameras to? Makes me nervous when they say "weather sealed, but if it breaks because of water ingress your on your own"

Weather sealed is the not the same as water resistant. And that's the same on all manufacturers.
But depends on which A7 camera you are referring to I guess.
With the latest models I certainly would be comfortable using them in light to medium rain. I did use them in snowfall not long ago with no issues.
IMG_20210124_114103.jpg

Worst comes to worst I have insurance anyway.
But one thing I do always in such case is use a UV filter on the lens. I am not keen on water falling on the front element. I know these days they have water repellent coatings and such but I am still not comfortable exposing the front element to water.

Last edited:
Weather sealed is the not the same as water resistant. And that's the same on all manufacturers.
With the latest models I certainly would be comfortable using them in light to medium rain. I did use them in snowfall not long ago with no issues.
View attachment 311807

But one thing I do always in such case is use a UV filter on the lens. I am not keen on water falling on the front element. I know these days they have water repellent coatings and such but I am still not comfortable exposing the front element to water.
If they were confident with the weather sealing why not get them IP rated then you know exactly where you stand.

If they were confident with the weather sealing why not get them IP rated then you know exactly where you stand.

Very few cameras are IP rated (not any ILCs I know off anyway probably because of the changeable lens element). And even those that have IP rating, I don't think give you warranty against water damage anyway.

View attachment 311807

I try not to get myself as wet as those cameras. So does the dog. :exit:

@woof woof I remember you asking about the aperture ring markings on the 20mm. When I go either way they line up perfectly, there is a faction of a mm play really really tiny amount but it always centres on the line.

ah yes. Mine is slightly off in one direction but a normal person may not notice :D

I've used mine in snow and heavy rain with just normal care, trying to limit how much rain hits it etc.

For rain (if I’m purposely going out to photograph in pouring rain) I used to use the optech rain sleeves but didn’t like the waste as I bought a couple of packs a year (they aren’t really designed as reusable). I now just keep these in my bag:

The build quality is similar to their large more expensive versions. The small and medium fit the 24-105 and 100-400 ok. There’s a little clip that fits into the hot shoe that keeps the rear in place. Looking through the clear plastic cover on the rear works fine with the EVF eye activation. Hands going through the open opening to operate the camera and lens.

Last edited:
The only system I’ve been confident using in heavy rain is the Olympus, but I’ve used my Nikons and Sony in medium rain without issue.

The only system I’ve been confident using in heavy rain is the Olympus, but I’ve used my Nikons and Sony in medium rain without issue.
The only system I have had issues with in the rain is Olympus. My EM5 ii lost the ability to turn off after a couple of hours in the rain. I stood in really terrible conditions shooting lighthouses and rugby with my D850s and I trust them more than I did the Olys. I think with the Olys the switches are the issue but they are very solid in the wet otherwise

A7 and NK 24mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4 go to Redcar beach while Mrs WW is at college.

Fancy a lens change in these conditions?

vUJ6dQP.jpg

I did about a dozen.

Redcar's vertical pier.

Gyibmj7.jpg

The scene.

fdqjvmV.jpg

Saltburn in the distance, tide coming in and sea coal.

Pq688N4.jpg

The steel works are still standing but not for long.

sPM366g.jpg

Windfarm, and feet.

1xdHNxD.jpg

The Nippon Kogaku 24mm f2.8 is a lovely lens and it looks like new. The only issue is flare but hopefully tilting the lens or changing position can lessen it.

Oh, and no distortion or vignetting corrections.

Last edited:

Irish wedding rain ie. the worst imaginable.

I've never had any problems.

The only system I have had issues with in the rain is Olympus. My EM5 ii lost the ability to turn off after a couple of hours in the rain. I stood in really terrible conditions shooting lighthouses and rugby with my D850s and I trust them more than I did the Olys. I think with the Olys the switches are the issue but they are very solid in the wet otherwise
Just shows how we have different experiences. My EM5-II got exposed to almost monsoon conditions and was just fine (y)

I haven't had any issues with any of my Sony gear using it in bad weather conditions. It rains heavily in Northern Ireland a lot!

It is not something I get concerned about at all, althought to be fair all my equipment is well insured.

I do always make sure that I have the hot shoe cover on as when I first switched to Sony someone told me that this was a weak point.

Have never had any issues even when using them out is full on storms.

Back