The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Haven't had the A7III but have had the A7RII and A7RIII with similar rated shutters. they've all been fine.
And tbh Americans will sue companies and start law suits almost out of nothing. Trump going to court over election fraud is prime example of this.
who cares if you have real actual evidence :p

Also I find it hard to believe that Sony is not keen doing a recall and fixing faulty shutters for free because they have done several recalls on lenses in the past inc. one recently for the newly announced 35GM lens. Doesn't seem to line up.

:oops: :$

If you didn’t buy your lens from digital Rev it won’t be effected they got all of the stock from the first batch to ship.

It was only a cosmetic thing anyway they used the wrong glue on the beauty ring on the front element. They aren’t recalling them as such if your serial number is effected you send it back in for examination they only replace if the ring is loose.

Last edited:
Also I find it hard to believe that Sony is not keen doing a recall and fixing faulty shutters for free because they have done several recalls on lenses in the past inc. one recently for the newly announced 35GM lens. Doesn't seem to line up.
I do wonder if cost is a factor.
Sony have sold a LOT of A7iii's, and replacing the shutter assembly would be expensive in terms of both materials (the new shutter) and labor (quite a lot of disassembly / reassembly, etc.) - so a full recall could be very expensive.
I saw a graphic earlier that had Sony selling over 1M mirrorless cameras in 2020 - a significant proportion of those will be A7iii, and it's been out for 3 years, so I would imagine sales are well in excess of 100,000.
I don't know how many shutter failures there have been, but I suspect its 100's, rather than 1000's.
So we have a possible failure rate of less than 1%
Sony may know it's a problem, but feel the cost simply doesn't warrant a recall (compared to other cases where they have much fewer units to recall, and a lower per unit repair cost).

I do wonder if cost is a factor.
Sony have sold a LOT of A7iii's, and replacing the shutter assembly would be expensive in terms of both materials (the new shutter) and labor (quite a lot of disassembly / reassembly, etc.) - so a full recall could be very expensive.
I saw a graphic earlier that had Sony selling over 1M mirrorless cameras in 2020 - a significant proportion of those will be A7iii, and it's been out for 3 years, so I would imagine sales are well in excess of 100,000.
I don't know how many shutter failures there have been, but I suspect its 100's, rather than 1000's.
So we have a possible failure rate of less than 1%
Sony may know it's a problem, but feel the cost simply doesn't warrant a recall (compared to other cases where they have much fewer units to recall, and a lower per unit repair cost).

recall doesn't necessarily have be return all the A7III sold in last 3 year to base, just fix the shutter mechanism of the ones that fail for free.
that's probably not too expensive for them to do if its a genuine issue.

I imagine for a vast majority of people this isn't going to be an issue and like you say failure rate is probably less that 1%.

Last edited:
If you didn’t buy your lens from digital Rev it won’t be effected they got all of the stock from the first batch to ship.

It was only a cosmetic thing anyway they used the wrong glue on the beauty ring on the front element. They aren’t recalling them as such if your serial number is effected you send it back in for examination they only replace if the ring is loose.

Cheers for that. I used 'the now under fire for outrageous moral corruption' Panamoz. Maybe I should have used Amazon and kept a clear conscience....

The Sony A1 feels very nice in the hand, all the buttons and battery door/memory door all feel of superior quality to the A9

took some test shots to compare the image quality of the A9 to the A1

images are A1 then A9

My quick analysis.

The yellows have less magenta in them, the reds look better and even when I play with the exposure to try to balance them I see that the A1 has more even highlights which maintain colour/tonality owing to more dynamic range?

My wife's quick anaylsis

They are the same

A1 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

A9 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

A1 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

A9 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Hopefully it was worth spending £11k for that.... :LOL:

It's saving me money if it stops me buying a colour Leica body :D

My analysis - very similar Dan to be honest :) at least i didn't agree with your wife mate :LOL:

Les

It's enough to make a difference to my eye :) hopefully there differences I see will translate to more even and more natural skin tones.

I'll see it over time.. or at least.. I'll just have less to be picky about :D

It's enough to make a difference to my eye :) hopefully there differences I see will translate to more even and more natural skin tones.

Just pulling your leg Dan- My wife's the same everytime I upgrade a Body or lens, they look the same, must be a wife thing :)

Maybe display the images side by side for a quick comparison buddy

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the A1 does look slightly more natural, but I've not seen the original scene, so to speak.

A1+135 - kept it natural to what the camera + adobe profile gave me (added small vignette on last image)

A1 + 135GM by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

The expression in the first is superb. As for the colours I’d say the A1 edges. Looks more saturated to my eyes too? Have you bought the colour fidelity for the A1 or are you just sticking with the Adobe and/or Lightroom Sony profiles?

The expression in the first is superb. As for the colours I’d say the A1 edges. Looks more saturated to my eyes too? Have you bought the colour fidelity for the A1 or are you just sticking with the Adobe and/or Lightroom Sony profiles?

I will be switching over to DXO photolab as soon as it supports it..in about June..

The Adobe Color profile on the A1 seems good for now

Random snaps, A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 plus No.4 close up filter for the flower shots.

Daffs and trees and green, nice and restful

pFDUf6M.jpg

Paused to see and snap...

EFKlr2g.jpg

She should get some new jeans, those are full of holes.

A4XMVX4.jpg

More flowers.

JdWR3X5.jpg

Last edited:
Had some fun in the sun and the 20mm had a proper trying out with decent light. Its amazingly sharp.

20mm @ f2.8
DSC00322.jpg

20mm @ f5.6
DSC00326.jpg

20mm @ f2.8
DSC00329.jpg

50mm f1.8 @ f2.8 its perfect for this sort of thing quality is fine its just the AF speed that lets it down.
DSC00337.jpg

My tamron 28-200 has just arrived. First impressions are good. It’s about 1cm longer than the 24-105 and slightly thinner. Should be good to take up fells where i don’t want to carry much weight and probably not so bothered about the 24-27mm range.
Will you keep the 24-105mm?

I will at the moment as quite like 24mm. If I get the 17-28 it will be a decision whether to keep it or not.

might be selling mine actually.... its not getting much use.
I bought it to compliment 28-200mm and it was smaller than the 12-24mm. but I barely use it tbh and probably won't for another 6months or so.

Sadly I have lost all my cables to my Sony cameras, can anyone please give me an Amazon link to what cables I need for doing firmware updates for the Sony's in my signature.

I use a micro usb cable I bought in the pound shop works fine.

Sadly I have lost all my cables to my Sony cameras, can anyone please give me an Amazon link to what cables I need for doing firmware updates for the Sony's in my signature.
This will work...

25mm is a good accompaniment to the 35mm. IMO 28mm is a bit close if you have a 35mm. The 75mm sounds good but it won be cheap.

From lurking on the various forums there do seem to be people waiting for both a nice Sony and a nice Voigtlander 28mm who are frustrated at the seemingly endless line of 35, 50 and other lenses but still no nice 28 (Sony f2 excepted.)

I assume these companies do some market research so the internet wanters may be a tiny minority not worth the hassle and expense of catering to but I think I'd find 28mm more useful than say 40mm which I seem to see as not 35 and not 50 and not particularly attractive. Having said that I'm not a big 28mm user despite having 6 of them.

Last edited:
What an amazing hike this morning. The light was perfect lovely warm colours and the landscape really suited it.

First one walking up to near Rivington Pike catching the sunrise.
DSC00341.jpg

Next heading away from the Pike and up Winter Hill.
DSC00346.jpg

The road to the mast really is a beautiful walk up here. Love the texture of the old tarmac.
DSC00350.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

Walking down the other side, this caught my eye.
DSC00366.jpg

These grasses and fields looked amazing in this light.
DSC00371.jpg
DSC00370.jpg

And finally Yarrow Reservoir near the end of my walk.
DSC00372.jpg

What a morning, hope you all like these, all shot with the A7C and 20mm f1.8, my new favourite lens.

Back