The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

And my 1st BIF with the same combo :)

PDaqNGW.jpg

Not what I'm into, but they are so crisp!

So I think I now have the lens that I will be keeping as they are in my signature. Lens that will be getting sold are as follows once I think of a good price. Bundle A6400 + Zeiss 32mm f1.2 E mount + small Peak Design bag + FE 28-70mm, Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 Nokton Aspherical Sony E, Sigma 50mm Art.

So I think I now have the lens that I will be keeping as they are in my signature. Lens that will be getting sold are as follows once I think of a good price. Bundle A6400 + Zeiss 32mm f1.2 E mount + small Peak Design bag + FE 28-70mm, Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 Nokton Aspherical Sony E, Sigma 50mm Art.

Arghhhh stop doing this to me :ROFLMAO:, I would like so much of your gear and I have just recently spanked all my budget on my 200-600o_O

Argh that Voigtlander 40mm would be mighty tempting!

Argh that Voigtlander 40mm would be mighty tempting!

It's a nice lens and better at wide apertures than my 35mm f1.4 but they can both show ca in some conditions. It's better into the corners than my 35mm f1.4 too but still not up to the standards of a Sony prime but I think I remember you saying you don't pixel peep into the corners. I got my 40mm before the 35mm f1.4 came out but since getting the 35mm I hardly use the 40mm one reason being that compared to the 35mm f1.4 it does feel like a big heavy lump.

AFAIR you've thought about this lens before? If you don't buy Dave's there's the similar 35 and 50mm f1.2's now plus the option of going for a SE version which doesn't have the declick feature and is slightly smaller, lighter and cheaper.

It's a nice lens and better at wide apertures than my 35mm f1.4 but they can both show ca in some conditions. It's better into the corners than my 35mm f1.4 too but still not up to the standards of a Sony prime but I think I remember you saying you don't pixel peep into the corners. I got my 40mm before the 35mm f1.4 came out but since getting the 35mm I hardly use the 40mm one reason being that compared to the 35mm f1.4 it does feel like a big heavy lump.

AFAIR you've thought about this lens before? If you don't buy Dave's there's the similar 35 and 50mm f1.2's now plus the option of going for a SE version which doesn't have the declick feature and is slightly smaller, lighter and cheaper.

I've certainly thought about the lens before! I don't even have a Sony body currently but I'm seriously missing full frame for my stuff and thinking about selling the small amount of Fuji gear I still have

I've certainly thought about the lens before! I don't even have a Sony body currently but I'm seriously missing full frame for my stuff and thinking about selling the small amount of Fuji gear I still have

It depends on what you want to do but if using manual lenses is pretty high on the list of things to do then you wont need the newer fancy focus systems and could maybe get by with a MK1 or 2, that'd keep the expenditure down. Image quality wise I think the biggest issue for me with my original A7 is sensor reflections and TBH that doesn't really bother me that much.

The Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 I like might not suit you but I can also recommend the excellent Voigtlander 50mm f2 apo.

It depends on what you want to do but if using manual lenses is pretty high on the list of things to do then you wont need the newer fancy focus systems and could maybe get by with a MK1 or 2, that'd keep the expenditure down. Image quality wise I think the biggest issue for me with my original A7 is sensor reflections and TBH that doesn't really bother me that much.

The Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 I like might not suit you but I can also recommend the excellent Voigtlander 50mm f2 apo.

Thanks Alan, yeah I do like playing with manual stuff; I got a nice Minolta MD 70-210 F4 from here last year (An MF "beercan" basically); been using it on Fuji but in my opinion the MF assists are far better on the Sony bodies; managed to try the 70-210 on an A7R3 and it was night and day better and very sharp so having a think!

One thing I noticed comparing manual lenses on my Panasonic MFT cameras and the A7 is that they seem to perform better on the Sony, I suppose because the pictures are magnified more on the smaller sensor camera and they therefore look less good, sort of like cropping a FF picture maybe.

I was the other way around, I found the larger EVF magnification of the X-T3 and the choice of focal aids much better than just peaking on my a7r2, maybe things have improved on the gen 3 models.
I just didn't want to have to maintain 2 systems

One thing I noticed comparing manual lenses on my Panasonic MFT cameras and the A7 is that they seem to perform better on the Sony, I suppose because the pictures are magnified more on the smaller sensor camera and they therefore look less good, sort of like cropping a FF picture maybe.
In my opinion Olympus is better for manual focussing than Panasonic on m4/3, but the Sony A7C in particular seems to have been custom made for manual focussing, and the Voigtlanders in particular work well.

I was the other way around, I found the larger EVF magnification of the X-T3 and the choice of focal aids much better than just peaking on my a7r2, maybe things have improved on the gen 3 models.
I just didn't want to have to maintain 2 systems

My point wasn't about accuracy, what I meant was that the extra magnification required for final viewing of pictures with a smaller format system might reveal lens shortcomings. FF pictures need less magnification. With a FF system if you zoom in / crop the image to match the smaller format one they should be similar, quality wise.

Just had a lovely chat on the phone with a friend who is a photographer and I asked him about my Sony A7RIV and he helped me a bit with a price, so a 4 lens bundle tomorrow is going in classified as none of it comes in an original box or battery charger as keeping that.
which 4 lenses?

No camera in AF (cont)

Apart from mapping a button to switch back and forth between AF and MF I cannot see a way around it.
You need to set it to DMF - that's the Sony AF mode for AF plus manual override (has been from back in the days of A-Mount).

So it looks like the wildlife are regularly being fed in London. While walking through Kensington I found myself surrounded by squirrels and parakeets. I hadn’t gone out expecting to see so many and only had the 55mm lens with me. I had 2 squirrels climb up my leg! They were so bold and expecting me to have food for them.

2F68EEB7-9610-4202-B409-6AF2996B1CE8.jpegCCEFA129-BF5F-43F2-90B2-2598AE6C3F8A.jpeg5A2C192C-4D0E-4593-8D05-E805753C2A54.jpeg3BEE23CC-01A0-408C-BA43-578E6DE697DE.jpeg24EB172D-C37E-4460-B925-D8BF103EB943.jpegE2766A6F-AEA6-4CE2-90A7-BCBD10BECB77.jpeg

I'd love a balcony. I'd live on it. Whenever I go on holiday and have one that's where I sit when there, drink in hand of courses :D

TBH I just don't give love for it much thought. I only bought Sony because they were the only FF mirrorless at the time and if Nikon had been first that's what I'd have bought.

Having said that I think Sony are arguably the best system at the mo because the cameras are market leading or at lest competitive and the lens line up is arguably the best. I could I suppose see a reason to buy Canon of Nikon to use legacy DSLR lenses or to use one specific lens not made for or able to adapt well to the other systems.

But I can't say I love Sony. Sorry Sony :D

Does anyone use a bag insert for there camera trying to find one for the A7C, with at most the Tamron 28-200 fitted.
Any ideas.

I'd love a balcony. I'd live on it. Whenever I go on holiday and have one that's where I sit when there, drink in hand of courses :D

TBH I just don't give love for it much thought. I only bought Sony because they were the only FF mirrorless at the time and if Nikon had been first that's what I'd have bought.

Having said that I think Sony are arguably the best system at the mo because the cameras are market leading or at lest competitive and the lens line up is arguably the best. I could I suppose see a reason to buy Canon of Nikon to use legacy DSLR lenses or to use one specific lens not made for or able to adapt well to the other systems.

But I can't say I love Sony. Sorry Sony :D

I find it odd when somebody says that they love a camera brand it is just an electronics brand.

Sony stuff at the moment suits my needs, if something else came along that suited my needs better I would have no hesitation switching and wouldn't be suffering with a broken heart after either.

Back