• Yes - from the Apple App Store

Votes: 74 10.2%
  • Yes - from the Google Play Store

Votes: 79 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 571 78.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just FYI, the pop up asking for feedback on the app only seems to appear in the Web version. So the sample for votes is likely skewed to non-app users.

If an app user wants to add their vote, nothing to stop them opening the thread in a browser to do so.

If an app user wants to add their vote, nothing to stop them opening the thread in a browser to do so.
I know this is a crude example, but this is loosely equivalent to an election where voting booths are only placed in regions where significantly more people vote for party A, and then saying 'well, members of party B are allowed in those areas too'.

I agree that everyone is eligible but with the banner running across the top of the web version saying 'please check this thread and vote' and no equivalent within the mobile app, it will skew the responses in the sample to be more web browser users. I'm not saying it's done on purpose to skew the result, but it absolutely will. My uneducated guess would be that it's maybe an extra 10% so not making much difference, but given the topic of the vote, presumably there is no other information to cross this vote with to check if that guess is right.

This probably sounds like I'm desperately fighting for the app to remain in light of the rather black and white vote results today. While I do like the app, I'm just passionate about opinion research like this (which may be used to take a decision) is conducted fairly. Perhaps a DM out to members would be a better way to do it (for large total sample - which is presumably why the banner is used), or repeat the vote without the banner on the web version (will be lower total sample, but more likely to have natural fall out across platforms without the intrusiveness of DMs to everyone).

I know this is a crude example, but this is loosely equivalent to an election where voting booths are only placed in regions where significantly more people vote for party A, and then saying 'well, members of party B are allowed in those areas too'.

I agree that everyone is eligible but with the banner running across the top of the web version saying 'please check this thread and vote' and no equivalent within the mobile app, it will skew the responses in the sample to be more web browser users. I'm not saying it's done on purpose to skew the result, but it absolutely will. My uneducated guess would be that it's maybe an extra 10% so not making much difference, but given the topic of the vote, presumably there is no other information to cross this vote with to check if that guess is right.

This probably sounds like I'm desperately fighting for the app to remain in light of the rather black and white vote results today. While I do like the app, I'm just passionate about opinion research like this (which may be used to take a decision) is conducted fairly. Perhaps a DM out to members would be a better way to do it (for large total sample - which is presumably why the banner is used), or repeat the vote without the banner on the web version (will be lower total sample, but more likely to have natural fall out across platforms without the intrusiveness of DMs to everyone).

If you use the app, a browser will be on the same phone/tablet. If you like the app and want to vote to keep it, it's hardly comparable to having to travel to another region is it? Just login on the browser and cast your vote.

@Marc I think you are still missing the main point @Tricky01 is making, and that I made myself a few weeks back. If a user only uses the app they may well be unaware that this thread exists. Nothing on the app will ask them to visit here.
On the other hand people who sign in on a browser are met with this
Capture.JPG
Which will stay on screen every time they sign in until they clear the message themselves.

It must skew the results however slightly.

As @Tricky01 has said I'm sure it's not skewed enough to make a difference but it's there.

@Marc I think you are still missing the main point @Tricky01 is making, and that I made myself a few weeks back. If a user only uses the app they may well be unaware that this thread exists. Nothing on the app will ask them to visit here.
On the other hand people who sign in on a browser are met with this
View attachment 302944
Which will stay on screen every time they sign in until they clear the message themselves.

It must skew the results however slightly.

As @Tricky01 has said I'm sure it's not skewed enough to make a difference but it's there.
App users won't necessarily know there's an election going on.

Aaah! Apologies @Tricky01 , I thought you were talking about the poll. I'd forgotten about the banner.

TBH, I didn't really think about people who used the app exclusively, I tend to think of it as something you use when 'on the go'

TBH, I didn't really think about people who used the app exclusively, I tend to think of it as something you use when 'on the go'

I think you are probably right in 99.9% of users, and it certainly fits my usage, or does if you replace "on the go" with "watching telly"

Does the forum software not have any sort of reporting facility which would show the administrators exactly what percentage of posts come from browser (and, indeed, which browser and on which operating system), what percentage come from Tapatalk and what percentage come from the app?

Most forum software provides these sorts of metrics.

How much (ballpark) does the app cost to keep?

If it's £3.50/year that's a very different decision to take when compared to £350/year... Ultimately one for the owner/operator of the forum.

I only use my phone as a phone and to tell me i have email for work and the odd text and whatsap now and then .

Rob.

I've recently found it and find it very useful. But wouldn't it be better (and cheaper for you) if you were to make TP more compatible with Smartphones?

Browser for me, never use the app (although I have it...)

George.

Just FYI, the pop up asking for feedback on the app only seems to appear in the Web version. So the sample for votes is likely skewed to non-app users.

You're right, I hadn't thought about that! :)
This isn't a be-all and end-all. I did just want to gauge member opinions on what they preferred.
I can dig into the metrics and find out exact numbers, but I wanted to hear what members thought.

How much (ballpark) does the app cost to keep?

If it's £3.50/year that's a very different decision to take when compared to £350/year... Ultimately one for the owner/operator of the forum.

The second one :)

This threads made me want to try the app now.. how do you get it ?: )

This threads made me want to try the app now.. how do you get it ?: )
You can download it from Google play store or apple store if on iOS. Search for Talk Photography.

I do not have/use a smart phone just an old Samsung, in fact I hate carrying my phone with me (wife insist when I go into the hills in Galloway)

At this time I don't really have a smart phone, there is one around but it's for adults to use:(..........

so no need or awareness of a talk app and hence no useage. As of yet.

Marcel this site is cool it's given me alot of joy and learning. , it sort of pains me I know nowt of an app bar a banner , I'm an utter browser user but at the same time, that doesn't surprise me It's not something I'd look for.

Mate I wouldn't my lack of use to stand against others though ...............

take care

stu

The issue is Taptalk and it always asking you to go VIP.

I just load the site in my phone's browser now.

The issue is Taptalk and it always asking you to go VIP.

I just load the site in my phone's browser now.

Is that through the TP app, or the actual Tapatalk app?

Is that through the TP app, or the actual Tapatalk app?
I thought it was one and the same thing.? I don't ever remember seeing a specific TP app.
I'm a member of a woodworking forum and have an icon for that forum on my table and phone this loads the forum directly and not in the browser. Is the TP app supposed to that?

I use the app on my iPad all the time. Only here today on the browser because I clicked on a link for Garry Edwards article LEDs or Flash. The only other time that I have used the browser is to give feedback as I could not see how to do that in the app.

Well, it's more expensive, innit?

I don't use apps for any site where there is a perfectly serviceable website solution. More storage on the phone, more needless permissions, more background battery drain, another app to update, another icon to clutter my home screen or app drawer. There is simply no point unless they advance the experience by leaps and bounds.

I guess it depends on your usage.

I very rarely look at the photos or post photos these days so the app works great as a forum browser.

My phone is mainly a replacement for our landline. I have very few apps on it, and rarely carry it when I go out. I have no reason to.

I haven't logged into TP for ages, but I can say I've used the app (on Android) but much prefer using the TP site in a regular browser, as there are more usability options and, with it being a photography site, would rather look at members' images on a big screen. I think apps are a good solution for simple tasks/services, but for a forum like this I think a regular browser is better :clap:

My phone is way too old to be using stuff like this. Although it's a smartphone, it's the once-dominant and now-forgotten Symbian platform, so no-one does stuff for it any more.

I’m using my iPad app at the moment.

It’s interesting the comments re looking at photos, because I think the experience on the iPad app is superior to the browser. They go full screen when you click on them, and you can flick between images in a thread without returning to the comments if you wish.

It seems that as of yesterday Android has been 'broken' by a recent update for some apps (gmail among 'em) on certain brands of phone. The 'fixes' short of hunting down and installing a specific APK son't work for me, and I'm hoping there will be an update from the hive in the next few days.

It's Web View that's broken Android - update that and pretty much everything else is fixed.

Thanks. Forcing update didn't work, and in the end I had to delete all data in play store app before it would perform the update. Apparently it now works. :)

Back