The "Canon Powershot G Series" owners thread

Been out with the G7X and been doing photos and video, in very low light and indoors (pub). I am very impressed with the results. :)

Makes more economical sense to keep it and get a tele zoom. Get a compact for the wide-mid range shots - and convenience when necessary.
Perhaps I'm getting sensible in my old age! :)
I am keeping the G7X, cracking little camera. I will add a zoom to the D3300, when I find a used one, at the right price. I will always keep my eyes open, for a used compact with more functionality , buttons knobs dials etc. :)

@drounding

How are you getting on with your G3X? I'm looking to buy a Powershot but can't decide between the G3X, G5X or G7X ii! Any problems etc you can share would help a lot.

Thanks,
AL

@drounding

How are you getting on with your G3X? I'm looking to buy a Powershot but can't decide between the G3X, G5X or G7X ii! Any problems etc you can share would help a lot.

Thanks,
AL

I like the G3x - so much so I bought one, sold it and about 2 months go bought another one. I'm thinking about letting it go again though as I have too much kit! Positives and not so positives I've listed below fro you!

Quality - really happy. shot nice pics at 2000 ISO (somewhere in the thread!) and brush up nicely in photoshop (RAW)
Ergonicmis - feels great and is not too big. Great touchscreen, easy to personalise (customisability etc)
Great to use - for easy subjects. Forget it for parties with screaming kids, any form of faster moving wildlife. Best way to think of it is as a super large compact camera. Slow but top notch quality (for what t is)
Built in flash - its tillable so you can bounce. Works great for impromptu family pics etc. Also good for selfies (couple selfies! I hasten to add!) esp with the flip up LCD and smile shutter mode (Which more companies did this instead of just canon and Sony!)

Not so good
Speed - in RAW its blacks out in motor drive - very early 2000 style!
AF - not great - continuous is not great at all - couple with black out above..
VF - still a shame even a small one wasn't integrated rather than the camcorder style

Its a tough one - I'm just thinking that extra 350 in the bank could go towards a nice Leica lens.. If I could I would keep it, but I can't justify it! Hope this helps!

20512-1541581302-1515d3857d768830aab2d2890b3df898.jpg

Been out with the G7X, but I can never find anything of interest to photograph. Pretty much woods and fields were I live, so pretty much lacking subject matter.
Maybe if there were some really nice light / colour, might make things more interesting.

Does anybody know, where the American fast action DSLR shooting style setting on the G7X is?
Only joking...

Just watching something on TV, an American thing. Missus loves them. Anyway, car comes screeching to a stop. Girl points a G7X at the baddies, and uses it like a DSLR. It even sounds like a DSLR, obviously sound effects. :cool:

I gave up on Canon's raw software. Extremely slow to use. Lightroom instead works well, though I don't know how accurately it translates the raws.

I gave up on Canon's raw software. Extremely slow to use. Lightroom instead works well, though I don't know how accurately it translates the raws.
What, Canon's digital photo professional 4? I use it to convert my files, just basic stuff really.

I use the basic Canon software to convert RAW files. Simple stuff like lifting the shadows and white balance correction. I mainly use the Fine Detail colour style, as I try for more punchy colours. I would like to set a good colour style, for custom user setting, for shooting Jpegs.

I've decided that 'if'' I get another compact it will have to be the G5X.

The G5X looks a little on the large side. Although it does have a viewfinder. Just trying to figure out, what is the dial on the front for?

The dial is probably for changing aperture or shutter speed, etc depending on what mode you are using.

I have been trying to create a custom colour on my G7X, for use when in custom user mode, and shooting Jpegs. Not having much luck at the moment, either too blue or too red.

I think I might have found a better compromise than a Powershot! No surprise really as I'm always changing my mind.

Anyway, for less than the price of a G5X (but no EVF, so a compromise):

Canon M100 + 15-45 + 55-200 + 22mm.

I think I might have found a better compromise than a Powershot! No surprise really as I'm always changing my mind.

Anyway, for less than the price of a G5X (but no EVF, so a compromise):

Canon M100 + 15-45 + 55-200 + 22mm.
Isn't that just a point and shoot, no programme modes PASM?

No hope ,I’ve just found the canon 534? In my missus draws lol,no not them draws and the canon i us thingy,forgot number

Back