The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I’m going to have to agree with @twist on this.
It’s not that the Fuji system is bad, if you compared them back to back, the difference against the Sony A6500 is not big.
There is a bigger/noticeable difference when comparing to FF though.
I like the Fuji system a lot and as a total ownership proposition, it’s the best APS-C system available.

Fuji glass kicks the sh*t out of Sony apsc glass. And when Sony apsc glass picks itself up of the floor, Fuji glass lays it out again.

Ergonomics? See above x infinity.

ISO? Who is shooting at 12800 regularly? Lolz

Fuji glass kicks the sh*t out of Sony apsc glass. And when Sony apsc glass picks itself up of the floor, Fuji glass lays it out again.

Ergonomics? See above x infinity.

ISO? Who is shooting at 12800 regularly? Lolz

Yup, It’s not only Sony APS-C lenses which I find lacking, I never found much high grade pro APS-C offerings from Nikon either.
Some do shoot high ISO and it’s good to sometimes have that headroom, I prefer FF however Fuji for weight & cost is hard to ignore.
I’ve moved from Sony to Fuji and back to Sony again but it’s hard to say which is better when factor in all the variables..... having said that I’ve just pre-ordered the FE 24mm f1.4 GM :D lol

Yup, It’s not only Sony APS-C lenses which I find lacking, I never found much high grade pro APS-C offerings from Nikon either.
Some do shoot high ISO and it’s good to sometimes have that headroom, I prefer FF however Fuji for weight & cost is hard to ignore.
I’ve moved from Sony to Fuji and back to Sony again but it’s hard to say which is better when factor in all the variables..... having said that I’ve just pre-ordered the FE 24mm f1.4 GM :D lol

Wow! What you going to shoot with that?

@twist you're the one asserting that FUJI use a different ISO to the other manufacturers, so really it IS up to you to provide evidence in order to educate. As @Cagey75 says, without evidence to back your statement up, you *could* be spouting nonsense. That you don't seem to want to speaks volumes...

That said, I'd heard previously that Fuji does ISO differently and my interest was piqued enough to google it.

This pdf seemed to cover the basics in a readable fashion (Note, Fuji use ISO SOS and most others use ISO REI. Both are valid under BS 12232:2006).
http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/SOS_REI.pdf

This seemed a pertinent extract:

• Standard output sensitivity (SOS) is an objective measure defined in essentially the same fashion as ISO speed (for one of the two bases of ISO speed), but which normally will have a value about 0.71 of the ISO speed.

• Recommended exposure index (REI) is the value the camera manufacturer recommends be used as the exposure index setting. It is not specified to be determined in any specific objective way, but may be chosen empirically to give what the manufacturer feels will be the best exposure results for most users in most cases.

So interestingly as manufacturers who use REI are using something that in not specified objectively, but relies upon "what the manufacturer feels will be the best exposure", to me it sounds like Fuji are not the ones cheating... Feel free to read all 13 pages. I just skimmed it really, but it seemed to me the point being made was that ISO SOS was measurable, ISO REI was simply just being made up (yes there are formulas, but they still rely upon a number made up by the manufacturer).

If you want to read the full BS 12232:2006 specifications, they are available on Amazon for £98.00 I'd rather spend that money on going somewhere to take photos.

To give balance here. I shoot both Canon (80D and 5D3) and Fuji (X-T2). I don't think I've ever really noticed different ISO values being needed, but then I've never really cared, caring more that the combination of settings give the exposure I want.

What lens is recommended to shoot video with? I've never tried video before but with my new shiny XT3 I may as well!

@twist you're the one asserting that FUJI use a different ISO to the other manufacturers, so really it IS up to you to provide evidence in order to educate. As @Cagey75 says, without evidence to back your statement up, you *could* be spouting nonsense. That you don't seem to want to speaks volumes...

That said, I'd heard previously that Fuji does ISO differently and my interest was piqued enough to google it.

This pdf seemed to cover the basics in a readable fashion (Note, Fuji use ISO SOS and most others use ISO REI. Both are valid under BS 12232:2006).
http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/SOS_REI.pdf

This seemed a pertinent extract:

• Standard output sensitivity (SOS) is an objective measure defined in essentially the same fashion as ISO speed (for one of the two bases of ISO speed), but which normally will have a value about 0.71 of the ISO speed.

• Recommended exposure index (REI) is the value the camera manufacturer recommends be used as the exposure index setting. It is not specified to be determined in any specific objective way, but may be chosen empirically to give what the manufacturer feels will be the best exposure results for most users in most cases.

So interestingly as manufacturers who use REI are using something that in not specified objectively, but relies upon "what the manufacturer feels will be the best exposure", to me it sounds like Fuji are not the ones cheating... Feel free to read all 13 pages. I just skimmed it really, but it seemed to me the point being made was that ISO SOS was measurable, ISO REI was simply just being made up (yes there are formulas, but they still rely upon a number made up by the manufacturer).

If you want to read the full BS 12232:2006 specifications, they are available on Amazon for £98.00 I'd rather spend that money on going somewhere to take photos.

To give balance here. I shoot both Canon (80D and 5D3) and Fuji (X-T2). I don't think I've ever really noticed different ISO values being needed, but then I've never really cared, caring more that the combination of settings give the exposure I want.

Hang on, I wasn't the one who was stating facts that turned out to be an opinion, saying that Fuji was the best performing APSC sensor when it isnt.

Speaks volumes does it? How about you shoot all of your cameras alongside at exactly the same exposure and prove me wrong?

I know they are both (differing) ISO standards, Ive already said that. To give balance Ive shot around 45 different MILC and DSLR cameras alongside over recent years ;)

Last edited:
How about you take it somewhere else and stop filling the thread with posts with a single emoji in or he said she said.

I really don't get this "camera brand wars" stuff. There's guy at my new camera club who keeps banging on about NIkon and how canon are s**t etc, even when it's totally irrelevent to the conversation at hand. It's a tool (and so are you if you engage in this utter nonsense).

It's like calling your neighbour a pr*ck because he uses a Dyson instead of a Sebo - ultimately they both pick up crap from the floor.

How about you take it somewhere else and stop filling the thread with posts with a single emoji in or he said she said.

I really don't get this "camera brand wars" stuff. There's guy at my new camera club who keeps banging on about NIkon and how canon are s**t etc, even when it's totally irrelevent to the conversation at hand. It's a tool (and so are you if you engage in this utter nonsense).

It's like calling your neighbour a pr*ck because he uses a Dyson instead of a Sebo - ultimately they both pick up crap from the floor.

Now that is the best thing said in here.

Picked up my 3 this morning. As is usual when I get something new the weather has clamped down so only initial impressions as it's a little damp outside!

Firstly, although it clearly looks like the 1 and 2, it does feel a bit different in the hand. The black paint finish is different, there's a satin feel to it and the corners are a bit sharper. Dare I say it feels a bit more 'Germanic'. The switches and buttons have a more positive click to them, which is a good thing on the on/off switch and EV dial for instance, less so on the back button/wheel IMO. The grip on the body is bigger and does feel better in the hand. The thumb rest feels a little bigger too but I'm not sure on that, could just be my imagination as a result of the larger front grip.

The battery grip feels very different. The handles are more pronounced and a bit more blade like. This make it easier to carry the camera in one hand and to hold in portrait mode, it' slightly less comfortable in landscape to my mind. You don't need the grip now for the 11fps frame rate, which is nice to have in the body directly but the camera does feel more balanced still with the 50-140 and I would assume the 100-400, though I've not put that on it yet.

Only a couple of test shots in passing so far so not very interesting I'm afraid. These are SOOC jpegs. The AF worked absolutely fine on a trundling train(!) and stayed locked on as it disappeared up the track in a cloud of diesel smoke at ISO 800, as you would expect and IQ looks nice to me with ISO 160 on the still one. The group shot is at ISO 2500.

Train
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

Group

Fumes

What did you think of the AF and was it quicker ?

What war, Cagey and I get on just fine? You are implying that Im a loyalist to one brand when you have no clue about what Ive used. A single emoji, you never took the time to read the rest did you.

Last edited:
^^^ Yep, sadly I read through it all and it's minutes of my life I will never see again.

That's not what I am implying at all, I made a general point about the "rivalry" that exists amongst users of different camera brands and gave an example from MY local club to illustrate the sort of thing that goes on.

My point regarding your emoji posts stands.

Last edited:
Seems to be in practising locking on the cats indoors!

Only had my 50-140 with me taking pics and that was no slouch before so can’t really tell yet. Everything I’ve read and guy at WEX suggest it is better.

I look forward to seeing more images, as I think it will be about a week till they get my T3 in.

^^^ Yep, sadly I read through it all and it's minutes of my life I will never see again.

That's not what I am implying at all, I made a general point about the "rivalry" that exists amongst users of different camera brands and gave an example from MY local club to illustrate the sort of thing that goes on.

My point regarding your emoji posts stands.

You won't understand the single emoji.... Cagey is some what heated and I was hoping the single emoji might counter that initially without having to go into paras of details, didn't work so I went into detail. Neither of us are fanboys so why go ballistic. Please refer to my post history and you'll see I dont use single emojis often, if at all.

Last edited:
Then get a Fuji and start posting :)

Not a bad recommendation which Ive considered, if Fuji went Bayer and updated a couple of the slower lenses Id jump right in but Ill wait for that. My workflow is Adobe which has + and -, more - for Fuji (at the mo) though, Fuji and Adobe need to become friends :)

Was that supposed to be clever, what kind of response are you expecting? Shall I point you to the 70d thread because your name suggests you are a massive Canon 70d fanboy?

Avatar also says FujiDaveXX, so when I take a image it goes in here, I don`t go to another thread and go on. Enough said from me as I like this FUJI thread.

Last edited:
Avatar also says FujiDaveXX, so when I take a image it goes in here, I don`t go to another thread and go on. Enough said from me as I like this FUJI thread.

Okay congrats, well my name says nothing about an allegiance to any brand and you know I use them all yet you still imply I am a Sony fanboy.

Are you saying that members are not welcome to post in all the threads on this forum?

Last edited:
Taken by my friend Jim Moody, sorry can't resize as I'm mobile at the moment, this SOOC apart from the crop to join together

plgw54z.jpg

Last edited:
I know they are both (differing) ISO standards, Ive already said that.
Shame you didn't give links to the evidence though eh? I could "already said" that the moon is made of cheese... Doesn't make it a fact does it?
What war, Cagey and I get on just fine? You are implying that Im a loyalist to one brand when you have no clue about what Ive used. A single emoji, you never took the time to read the rest did you.
So WHAT camera do you use then ?
What do you shoot then? Your info tab is particularly blank on that, and you've shot "around 45 different MILC and DSLR cameras". At least a couple of us are genuinely interested to understand your perspective.
Oh, and if your horse wasn't quite so high, you would have seen that the info I provided above did actually state that ISO SOS is 0.71 of true ISO, so to some extent corroborating your assertion of 2/3rds of a stop difference.

Shame you didn't give links to the evidence though eh? I could "already said" that the moon is made of cheese... Doesn't make it a fact does it?

What do you shoot then? Your info tab is particularly blank on that, and you've shot "around 45 different MILC and DSLR cameras". At least a couple of us are genuinely interested to understand your perspective.
If your horse wasn't quite so high, you would have seen that the info I provided above did actually state that ISO SOS is 0.71 of true ISO, so to some extent corroborating your assertion of 2/3rds of a stop difference.

At least you bothered searching. Again, I wasn't the first to make the statement about ISO vs other manufactures.

Catch up, Ive already posted what I currently shoot. High horse? I did see that and that proves what I said, so thank you, like I said, to Fuji single system users it makes F all difference but when shooting side by side and comparing exposure it does.

Last edited:
Thought so :) although your collection is still lacking the 100mm stf. Needs that bad boy in the cabinet too.
Naaa I thought about it and its too close a focal length to the both the 85mm f1.4 GM and incoming 135mm f1.8 GM lenses.
I know it has a unique render to the background but going to give it a miss, also giving the FE 100-400mm GM a miss too.

Taken by my friend Jim Moody, sorry can't resize as I'm mobile at the moment, this SOOC apart from the crop to join together

plgw54z.jpg
Not an ISO speed I would routinely use, but it looks eminently useable.

Obvious troll is obvious, eh Dave?
Just stick 'ignored member' on ignore and chuckle each time you see 'ignored member' in the last message column, content in the knowledge that he's an 'ignored member' ;)

Get a room guys.

Back