The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I had a trial run with a fuji X-T3 with new FW. I have a SD card with RAWs(+jpg). What is a good processing software for it? (preferably free but I can use trial versions)
I still use LR6 so it does not support newer cameras.

Does Adobe DNG converter do a good job? output from which i could then import to lightroom. But I imagine that would lose the camera presets in LR?

I had a trial run with a fuji X-T3 with new FW. I have a SD card with RAWs(+jpg). What is a good processing software for it? (preferably free but I can use trial versions)

Does Adobe DNG converter do a good job? output from which i could then import to lightroom. But I imagine that would lose the camera presets in LR?
I use ON 1 Raw 2019, you can get a trial fo this.

I use Fuji RAW converter 3 to develop then PS to edit, free and flawless

I use Fuji RAW converter 3 to develop then PS to edit, free and flawless

Thanks for the heads-up
The Fuji body was borrowed but I am guessing I don't need to own a Fuji Camera to get hold of the converter. I'll check on thier website after work tonight :)
What format(s) can I convert it to?

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up
The Fuji body was borrowed but I am guessing I don't need to own a Fuji Camera to get hold of the converter. I'll check on thier website after work tonight :)
What format(s) can I convert it to?
It produces a jpeg, it's called "develop" rather than export. You can produce as many as you like from a RAW so could try each film simulation on the same file.

I also use their sharpening tool, set it to pure detail. That's all I use it for as it's clunky for anything else but does a perfect job of converting the RAW.

https://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/myfinepix_studio/rfc/index.html

It produces a jpeg, it's called "develop" rather than export. You can produce as many as you like from a RAW so could try each film simulation on the same file.

I also use their sharpening tool, set it to pure detail. That's all I use it for as it's clunky for anything else but does a perfect job of converting the RAW.

https://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/myfinepix_studio/rfc/index.html
Does it allow you to lift shadows and recover highlights?

I have always liked CP one, I'll just use that I think. Didn't realise there was one for Fuji too.

Is LR good for Fuji RAWs now?

I'm about to find that out soon, been looking at some video tips on working with Fuji RAF files, and as I found last time I shot with the system, the known issues seem to be caused by people over sharpening. I have to say I never experienced it, it used to puzzle me that it was such a big deal to some. I found that Fuji files didn't need much by way of sharpening to begin with. I think that people get used to pushing those sliders a bit more for other RAW types and then wonder why they're getting the weird artifacts. I'll get the same if I try to over sharpen a Panasonic RAW file, I've tried it out of curiosity. I also tend to do more selective sharpening and masking so any OOF areas or 'bokeh' are not affected. Which is where people find the issue most

I'm about to find that out soon, been looking at some video tips on working with Fuji RAF files, and as I found last time I shot with the system, the known issues seem to be caused by people over sharpening. I have to say I never experienced it, it used to puzzle me that it was such a big deal to some. I found that Fuji files didn't need much by way of sharpening to begin with. I think that people get used to pushing those sliders a bit more for other RAW types and then wonder why they're getting the weird artifacts. I'll get the same if I try to over sharpen a Panasonic RAW file, I've tried it out of curiosity. I also tend to do more selective sharpening and masking so any OOF areas or 'bokeh' are not affected. Which is where people find the issue most

Keith the X-TransIII in the X-H1 requires much gentler slider control than previous X-Trans, I find I apply no adjustment to LR deafult sharpening, though I may nudge the Clarity just a smidge.

Keith the X-TransIII in the X-H1 requires much gentler slider control than previous X-Trans, I find I apply no adjustment to LR deafult sharpening, though I may nudge the Clarity just a smidge.

Cheers, will bear that in mind when I do my initial testers :) still not arrived yet but it surely has to by tomorrow!

I only use LR. I tried C1 and didn't see any improvement to the output, so couldn't see any value in learning a new tool for no real benefit.

I tend to turn the LR CC sharpening down to 5, then sharpen in Photoshop using unsharp mask. I do find the LR noise management tools very good.

I only use LR. I tried C1 and didn't see any improvement to the output, so couldn't see any value in learning a new tool for no real benefit.

I agree!

I tend to turn the LR CC sharpening down to 5, then sharpen in Photoshop using unsharp mask. I do find the LR noise management tools very good.

We are all different!! I hardly ever touch photoshop, but do use NIK Dfine to handle noisy images!!

I rarely sharpen my images. I do give clarity a little boost from time to time.

I find it best to hardly sharpen at all when processing raws.
I then add sharpening as necessary at the output stage. I find that in that way I get few if any sharpening artifacts.

As you have found. the problem with using fill flash is that it brightens close subjects more than further objects, so in this instance she is lifted more than he is. To make it more convincing it is necessary to keep people at much the same distance from the flash.

I take it that that is sunset and not sun rise:runaway:

The clarity algorithm adds some degree of sharpening.
Indeed but I use clarity for other effects it gives more so than sharpness. I don't think it actually add a great degree of sharpness but the effect gives it that perception. What I meant was, I rarely do any further sharpening using the dedicated sharpening tool in LR which is one of the main contributors to the artefacts if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
Indeed but I use clarity for other effects it gives more so than sharpness. I don't think it actually add a great degree of sharpness but the effect gives it that perception. What I meant was, I rarely do any further sharpening using the dedicated sharpening tool in LR which one of the main contributors to the artefacts if I am not mistaken.
I agree. I do not care to sharpen in lightroom at all.

As you have found. the problem with using fill flash is that it brightens close subjects more than further objects, so in this instance she is lifted more than he is. To make it more convincing it is necessary to keep people at much the same distance from the flash.

I take it that that is sunset and not sun rise:runaway:
Yes it was a sunset, it was a quick grab as my little girl was messing about in the sand. She isn't one to stand in line for the sake o men flash exposure. :)

Took the day off work this morning to go and shoot bluebells first thing. This one was a bit late in the day, just before I decided the sun had got too high and went home, but the deliberate choice of blowing the distant highlights actually produced quite a nice effect. I like it, anyway! I have some other shots from the morning more suited to photography competitions as well ;) Lovely morning to be in the woods - this is Badbury Hill, aka Badbury Clump

Seeking
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Last edited:
Took the day off work this morning to go and shoot bluebells first thing. This one was a bit late in the day, just before I decided the sun had got too high and went home, but the deliberate choice of blowing the distant highlights actually produced quite a nice effect. I like it, anyway! I have some other shots from the morning more suited to photography competitions as well ;) Lovely morning to be in the woods - this is Badbury Hill, aka Badbury Clump

Seeking
Very very nice Dave. Love the light on the greenery on the right.

Not one for a gear shot, but I cant wait to get out and give some use to this little beauty.

Just a shame this will be the closest it actually potentially gets to a stag! [emoji39]2019_0429_18575900-01.jpeg

Just having a practice on how to bounce my TTL350f Godox on the X-T3 + XF35mm f2. Can`t for the life of me get the TT685F to work on my X-H1 or get it to work with the Xpro transmitter. Have sussed it out, I had the X-H1 on ES shutter only.

Model Susie by Dave, on Flickr

Low Profile by Dave, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have to say I'm impressed with the Fuji service centre. I sent my T2 back to them yesterday (I couldn't find any body caps so had to order a couple...) I got a message first thing saying it had been received, and I've just received a second message saying that it will be back with me tomorrow.....

That's good, very good indeed...

I have to say I'm impressed with the Fuji service centre. I sent my T2 back to them yesterday (I couldn't find any body caps so had to order a couple...) I got a message first thing saying it had been received, and I've just received a second message saying that it will be back with me tomorrow.....

That's good, very good indeed...

Totally agree with that Steve dropped a 16-55 last year and put a dent in the filter ring so you couldn't attach a filter to it, sent it off to Fuji explaining although it was still in warranty I had obivously dropped it and how much would it be to repaired.
Lens arrived back 3 days later repaired and wasn't charged a penny.

Seeking

That works a treat David, its a lovely place.

Back