The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at Folkestone Kent UK of a loving couple on a promenade bench.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/320th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Bench Lovers-03325 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

This for me is a harder shot than the butterfly for example, when shooting people on the street I'm always overly wary that they might catch me and cause a scene - whereas I'll creep up on bugs no problem, worse that can happen is I get stung by something - I'd rather that than people shouting at me :D

Query from a Fuji friend. Currently using an X-T2 for mainly night and astro stuff but he had the same issue previously with X-T10 and X-T20:

I have a question about the 56mm f1.2 and 55-200mm Fuji lenses that I wondered if you could help me with.

It relates to astro photography. When I'm shooting astro, I want to secure focus then turn the camera to manual focus to "lock it in" for the rest of the shoot. I can do this fine with the likes of the 10-24 and 35mm f2.

But when I use the 56 and 55-200, the following happens:

- Secure focus with the body and lens (either auto or manual)
- Turn to manual focus on the camera body
- Take the shot
- Review the shot using the playback button

So far, so good. But then...

- Press Back to come out of Playback (or indeed any other button) and the lens immediately hunts for focus (thereby often losing the focus I had previously set), even though the body is set to manual focus.

It seems there is some focus motor/mechanism inside those lenses that causes this to happen, unlike the other lenses I use.

Is there any way I can turn this internal lens focus off and go to full manual focus?

Thanks.
There is an AF option called Pre-AF which appears to get the focus in the ballpark before you press anything. There is also an option for AF+MF. I've noticed that my 50-140 appears to focus itself if you adjust the zoom suggesting it's a varifocal design rather than parfocal and the fuji system knows this and automatically tries to maintain focus as you zoom. It could simply be a bug in the firmware.

There is an AF option called Pre-AF which appears to get the focus in the ballpark before you press anything. There is also an option for AF+MF. I've noticed that my 50-140 appears to focus itself if you adjust the zoom suggesting it's a varifocal design rather than parfocal and the fuji system knows this and automatically tries to maintain focus as you zoom. It could simply be a bug in the firmware.

Thanks Kei. AF/MF confirmed as set to off.

This for me is a harder shot than the butterfly for example, when shooting people on the street I'm always overly wary that they might catch me and cause a scene - whereas I'll creep up on bugs no problem, worse that can happen is I get stung by something - I'd rather that than people shouting at me :D
The reason for your pause is the shooting technique you are employing when shooting people. Change it. Should you have friends doing street portraits at close range they can give you hints and technique advice. Few street shooters only hold their camera to their eye. We've many more techniques we learn to employ that do not give our activity away.

The reason for your pause is the shooting technique you are employing when shooting people. Change it. Should you have friends doing street portraits at close range they can give you hints and technique advice. Few street shooters only hold their camera to their eye. We've many more techniques we learn to employ that do not give our activity away.

Maybe. I've done plenty of street shooting over the years, I know how to shoot from the hip, I can use the LCD as efficiently as the evf, I know how to look innocent too! :angelic: I've just not shot any street in the past couple years, so it's simply rustiness also.

Last edited:
I have just bought my first ever Fujifilm camera the X-Pro 2 with the 23mm f2 R WR lens. Now to get my head around to using a different system.

“Congrat’s” to that, looking forward to seeing some of your images. “ENJOY”.

George

Went for a walk on Saturday... Gate crashed a Wedding shoot in the park in Uppermill. So I thought I would check out the continuous focus on the X T30.
Sort of caught focus as they drove out, and passed very close to me, with no time to do anything about anything. So pot luck as to what was in focus.
Thought the instinctive framing in the last one very fortuitous.

T30X0761web.jpgT30X0765.jpgT30X0770.jpg

Last edited:
Went for a walk on Saturday... Gate crashed a Wedding shoot in the park in Uppermill. So I thought I would check out the continuous focus on the X T30.
Sort of caught focus as they drove out, and passed very close to me, with no time to do anything about anything. So pot luck as to what was in focus.
Thought the instinctive framing in the last one very fortuitous.

View attachment 253745View attachment 253746View attachment 253747

Liking the 1st image the most Terry, but all are good.

Put in my order from Wex for the XF50mm f2 as it was cheaper than Jessops, hope to have it tomorrow :cool:

Hmmmm, so much for I'm happy with my lot, don't need anything else. Tut Tut.....

Put in my order from Wex for the XF50mm f2 as it was cheaper than Jessops, hope to have it tomorrow :cool:

Still pondering, had one in my basket for a bit but have since had my eye on a Tamron 35mm or 45mm 1.8 to go with the EF adapter I own. Both focus closer and have better magnification, which I love. The 35 1.8 is actually insanely good for magnification, just shy of the Fuji 60mm and focuses down to 20cm. But how good the AF will be is what I'm wary of. Hard to find info on how specific lenses perform on the fringer pro.

Last edited:
Does anyone believe @Dave70D will be truely happy with his kit until he's got at least 1 of every body Fuji have made, at least 1 of every native lens and every lens that can be adapted to fit?

/me dangles a Fuji FinePix S5600 in front of Dave's wallet ;)

I believe @Dave70D ...lol Until the X-Pro3 X-T4 and X-H2 come out :D:fuji:

Still pondering, had one in my basket for a bit but have since had my eye on a Tamron 35mm or 45mm 1.8 to go with the EF adapter I own. Both focus closer and have better magnification, which I love. The 35 1.8 is actually insanely good for magnification, just shy of the Fuji 60mm and focuses down to 20cm. But how good the AF will be is what I'm wary of. Hard to find info on how specific lenses perform on the fringer pro.

Wex sent me an email saying mine arrives tomorrow.

Wex sent me an email saying mine arrives tomorrow.

Nice, I actually had one ready to checkout on CJ at the weekend but then noticed it had no hood so bailed on it. The 20% off is over now, they still have 15% on but their prices are actually more expensive than most others to begin with. I'll only buy there with specials on, as they do tend to be 'mint' when they list it as such. The 16mm I got the other week was just like new, lens and hood were both still in plastic and the cloth pouch in the box was never used.

:wave:

So, after much faffing, pondering, changing and un-changing my mind, I’m in Fujiland. The price drop on the XT2 was too much for my weak will to resist so I pulled the trigger - long over due really as I’ve been umm-ing and ahh-ing for ages. 35mm f2 bagged as well.

Now have a bit of Nikon kit to trade in for lenses. Can’t decide if I should get the 16-55 or wait for the 16-80. Impatience will probably win that one. Probably get the 55-200 as well.

Any deals/cashbacks on the horizon?

Last edited:

So, after much faffing, pondering, changing and un-changing my mind, I’m in Fujiland. The price drop on the XT2 was too much for my weak will to resist so I pulled the trigger - long over due really as I’ve been umm-ing and ahh-ing for ages. 35mm f2 bagged as well.

Now have a bit of Nikon kit to trade in for lenses. Can’t decide if I should get the 16-55 or wait for the 16-80. Impatience will probably win that one. Probably get the 55-200 as well.

Welcome on board, the X-T2 and XF35mm f2 are two bits of great kit, and the deal on the X-T2 at the moment is great. I have the XF16-55mm f2.8 lens and love it, weight is not an issue for me and it`s sharp all the way through the range. The XF16-80mm would be a great walk around lens plus the 6 stop OIS could be great for some IQ wise it will be very good but not against the 16-55mm.

That’s a positive “Result” in my book, I’m sure you’ll love the X-T2 and the system, “ENJOY”.

George.

Fuji refurb is a good place and have a 5% off code I can send if you PM me. Mint and cheaper than new!

The 16-55 is lovely, not too heavy either and been surprised with how good the 55-200 is.

Welcome on board, the X-T2 and XF35mm f2 are two bits of great kit, and the deal on the X-T2 at the moment is great. I have the XF16-55mm f2.8 lens and love it, weight is not an issue for me and it`s sharp all the way through the range. The XF16-80mm would be a great walk around lens plus the 6 stop OIS could be great for some IQ wise it will be very good but not against the 16-55mm.
Fuji refurb is a good place and have a 5% off code I can send if you PM me. Mint and cheaper than new!

The 16-55 is lovely, not too heavy either and been surprised with how good the 55-200 is.

Thanks. I’ll be getting the 55-200 for sure. May also get the 10-24 and wait on reviews of the 16-80, although I’m sure it’ll be an excellent lens. As a lazy landscape ‘tog who uses a tripod far less than he should, the OIS on the 16-80 would be useful.!

Thanks for the code offer Simon. I’ve had a look at the refurb store. My first batch of purchases are going to be funded by trading my Nikon stuff though. Just need to sort the deal with Jessops. Hopefully get it done on Saturday, fingers crossed. :banana:

Last edited:
Thanks. I’ll be getting the 55-200 for sure. May also get the 10-24 and wait on reviews of the 16-80, although I’m sure it’ll be an excellent lens. As a lazy landscape ‘tog who uses a tripod far less than he should, the OIS on the 16-80 would be useful.!

Thanks for the code offer Simon. I’ve had a look at the refurb store. My first batch of purchases are going to be funded by trading my Nikon stuff though. Just need to sort the deal with Jessops. Hopefully get it done on Saturday, fingers crossed. :banana:
I always fancied the 10-24mm, but after buying the 55-200 and a Sanyang100mm for my macro stuff, I run out of camera gear funds, so I take two or four images and stitch them when I want the wider angle, works a treat and takes a bit more effort and thought. Makes life more interesting, I use Affinity photo for stitching.

Back