The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Much as I loved the X-T1, I think you will love the T3 well above it. You will be able to push files a bit more, you'll have much better AF [I would test the 27mm on it to see the difference] and better ISO performance. I can't help you with settings as I'm a H1 user but there's loads of T3 owners in here who should be able to help
I have no problems with the output of the X-T1, to the extent that unless it's important stuff, like an event, I've quit shooting RAW. Life's too short to sit in front of a computer in your own time, particularly when that's what your working day consists of too.

It's the improved AF I'm after. While I no longer want to be the guy with big lenses at race meetings, the idea of still being able to grab a few shots while enjoying the racing appeals. Plus fast moving kids are tricky.

I have no problems with the output of the X-T1, to the extent that unless it's important stuff, like an event, I've quit shooting RAW. Life's too short to sit in front of a computer in your own time, particularly when that's what your working day consists of too.

It's the improved AF I'm after. While I no longer want to be the guy with big lenses at race meetings, the idea of still being able to grab a few shots while enjoying the racing appeals. Plus fast moving kids are tricky.

I love the PP side of it all, it's almost therapeutic for me. Sitting in front of the PC with a big mug o' tay personalizing the images I shot, love it. I don't trust any camera to get it how I desire in one, I think PP is an art unto itself. But we are all different, I get that :) otherwise there's be just the one thread needed on the forum

I love the PP side of it all, it's almost therapeutic for me. Sitting in front of the PC with a big mug o' tay personalizing the images I shot, love it. I don't trust any camera to get it how I desire in one, I think PP is an art unto itself. But we are all different, I get that :) otherwise there's be just the one thread needed on the forum
I must admit I enjoy the pp part of photography, not that I’m that good. But since swapping to Fuji I find I use it a lot less, as the jpegs come out so well.
Mainly used for stacking macro stuff now.

A few from today, up and down weather as the images show, all from the one day - the clouds have been pretty cool. A little PP added, and this is why I shoot RAW the first one was well OE to begin with.

16mm 1.4 @F8
October urban sunset by K G, on Flickr

50mm @F8 [you'll have to click though and enlarge to see why it's named this]
Rain'n'birds by K G, on Flickr

50mm @ f2.8. Late-ish Honeysuckle still on show atop out back hedge
Late honeysuckle by K G, on Flickr

Hmm, I was thinking of buying some wooden planks for a similar purpose, to use as a backing for food, macro, general close ups. I do prefer authentic and I do have some already, but I like a bit of variety, must have a look.

I tried that method, and can never be arsed to get it all out and then pack it away after. Rolling up is so much easier ;)

I was messing about with DR earlier while processing a few images. Just for testing. This is pushing +2 exp. 100% on shadows - Almost completely blacked out on the chimney [what I wanted for the image] with no signs of detail on the front side ... well the detail was in fact very much there. This is 100% from the image of the chimney I posted earlier but I pulled blacks and shadow down for this test

XH1DR1.jpg

Last edited:
Shot a wedding earlier which seemed to go well. 16mm and 56mm on either camera with the 90mm in the bag which came out briefly. Borrowed the 35mm f1.4 and realised I need one of these ASAP.

That 35 f1.4 is very addictive, mine is always in my bag, no matter which bag I take, or whether landscape, portraits or wildlife. It works so well with the tubes too.

Tip for you if you get one, the metal lens hood for the 60mm fits it perfectly, and it's a lot better than that silly "round square thing" it comes with.

Shot a wedding earlier which seemed to go well. 16mm and 56mm on either camera with the 90mm in the bag which came out briefly. Borrowed the 35mm f1.4 and realised I need one of these ASAP.

I missed this post somehow, thanks to @Jelster for highlighting it. I have been pondering seriously on re-buying the 35mm 1.4, I have the 50mm F2 atm but it's not pushing my buttons. Sure it's WR, faster and probably sharper. But I think my favourite lens in the past for Fuji was that 35 1.4. Yes it's slow [by comparison] and a little noisey [I don't do video so this doesn't really matter] but I do feel there's something about how it renders, how the images from it come across - the newer 'Fujicrons' don't match it in this dept. It's also one of those lenses that hasn't lost value, it's actually more expensive used in many cases than the 35 or 50F2 new. I kinda want one too!

That 35 f1.4 is very addictive, mine is always in my bag, no matter which bag I take, or whether landscape, portraits or wildlife. It works so well with the tubes too.

Tip for you if you get one, the metal lens hood for the 60mm fits it perfectly, and it's a lot better than that silly "round square thing" it comes with.

The 'squashed coke can" hood as some call it :D

Dang, I been thinking on that 35 1.4 for a while, if I'm honest since I returned to Fuji land. It is a very nice lens.

I missed this post somehow, thanks to @Jelster for highlighting it. I have been pondering seriously on re-buying the 35mm 1.4, I have the 50mm F2 atm but it's not pushing my buttons. Sure it's WR, faster and probably sharper. But I think my favourite lens in the past for Fuji was that 35 1.4. Yes it's slow [by comparison] and a little noisey [I don't do video so this doesn't really matter] but I do feel there's something about how it renders, how the images from it come across - the newer 'Fujicrons' don't match it in this dept. It's also one of those lenses that hasn't lost value, it's actually more expensive used in many cases than the 35 or 50F2 new. I kinda want one too!

The 35 f1.4 is brilliantly sharp, and on my T3 it's no longer a slouch either.

Anyway, the time has come, my T2 bodies will be up for sale later this week, along with the grip as I need to fund a second T3. Thought about an H1, but then decided there would be no point moving on the T2 as apart from IBIS it's the same tech, so T3 it is...

I don't doubt it! :) It's something I've never really thought on, left Vs right eyed dominant. I imagine it's the reason some complain about touch screens moving focus points as you can't really keep your nose away from the screen. Whereas for us righties, it's easy, just tilt your head so your nose is away from the lcd and it's never an issue.
I find it best/easiest to turn off the touch screen.

I must admit I enjoy the pp part of photography, not that I’m that good. But since swapping to Fuji I find I use it a lot less, as the jpegs come out so well.
Mainly used for stacking macro stuff now.

Me too, I really enjoy the PP part of the presentation process although I don’t get all the time I’d like to spend doing it.

As for jpegs, I’ve never ever shot one (apart from a few snaps on my cell phone). Must admit its a possibility for less important stuff, I guess I should snap a few alongside the RAWs to see what I think.

George.

Can you link to where you get these rolls so i can have a gander?

Just a thought, have you ever considered creating a “Green/Blue Screen” for a backdrop. Its not difficult to do and can be very effective when used properly. You would then have a limitless amount of options as backdrops as you can shoot them all yourself. The software side of things is very easy to use. I’ve been using that type of thing for years and certainly for me it works a treat.

George.

Just a thought, have you ever considered creating a “Green/Blue Screen” for a backdrop. Its not difficult to do and can be very effective when used properly. You would then have a limitless amount of options as backdrops as you can shoot them all yourself. The software side of things is very easy to use. I’ve been using that type of thing for years and certainly for me it works a treat.

George.

How would that work for table top stuff, George. Might there be lighting issues? Curious as it does seem a good idea :)

How would that work for table top stuff, George. Might there be lighting issues? Curious as it does seem a good idea :)

You’d certainly have to juggle about a bit, but it can be done with some practice and a bit of PP work.

George.

Another thing we have developed at our main studio is a reflective backdrop system whereby we use angled mirrors reflecting various backdrop that have been projected onto the ceiling or another white surface. It virtually eliminates backdrop lighting problems. Once again it takes a bit of juggling at first but once its perfected the world is your oyster as they say.

George.

As for jpegs, I’ve never ever shot one (apart from a few snaps on my cell phone). Must admit its a possibility for less important stuff, I guess I should snap a few alongside the RAWs to see what I think.

George.
You should, I think it could be an interesting experiment.

As Cagey pointed out, different strokes for different folks, and in my case it's obviously influenced by spending my working day working with computers.

When I had Nikons I always shot Raw, but given the quality and flexibility of the Fuji's jpegs, I realised that for my purposes, I was close enough to the result I want to just do a quick tweak in Snapseed (which I can do on the tube... I like that because while travelling there's not really anything else I should be doing).

When I do shoot Raw, just in case, I hardly ever have the need to use them.

You should, I think it could be an interesting experiment.

As Cagey pointed out, different strokes for different folks, and in my case it's obviously influenced by spending my working day working with computers.

When I had Nikons I always shot Raw, but given the quality and flexibility of the Fuji's jpegs, I realised that for my purposes, I was close enough to the result I want to just do a quick tweak in Snapseed (which I can do on the tube... I like that because while travelling there's not really anything else I should be doing).

When I do shoot Raw, just in case, I hardly ever have the need to use them.

I might just do that, nothing ventured nothing gained.

George.

You’d certainly have to juggle about a bit, but it can be done with some practice and a bit of PP work.

George.
Cheers George. Definately food for thought (y)
Another thing we have developed at our main studio is a reflective backdrop system whereby we use angled mirrors reflecting various backdrop that have been projected onto the ceiling or another white surface. It virtually eliminates backdrop lighting problems. Once again it takes a bit of juggling at first but once its perfected the world is your oyster as they say.

George.

That sounds pretty cool. Wouldn`t mind seeing a set up pic :)

Hi Keith,
It's a cheap & cheerful X body with 16mp sensor with interchangeable lenses, although doesn't have a viewfinder.
Would be great to attach a XF27mm lens to it for stealth/compact/photography/carrying etc..

Peter
I had one back along, very capable camera, I mainly used it for landscapes and as back up to my then X-Pro1s.

Cheers George. Definately food for thought (y)

That sounds pretty cool. Wouldn`t mind seeing a set up pic :)

Well unbeknown to you you’ve already seen results from both set ups. What you really need to do is high tail up to see us at some point and try the stuff out for yourself.

George.

Well unbeknown to you you’ve already seen results from both set ups. What you really need to do is high tail up to see us at some point and try the stuff out for yourself.

George.

Ahh clever stuff ;)
George, I`d love to come up and see. Thank you for the offer (y)

Back