The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

What are people’s experiences of the 18-135? I already have the 18-55 which I use maybe 80% of the time but have a particular project in mind which needs a bit more range but not enough to justify a telephoto. I’ve always shied away from super zooms, but the 24-120 I use on my Nikon is such a flexible lens that I’m pondering something similar for the Fuji. I know there is a 16-80 out but it costs more than I want to pay right now as I always buy second hand!

Already had a few responses but here's another opinion!

As has been said, it's not quite as sharp as the 18-55 or as fast but it's so much better at 56mm and beyond that it's now all but welded to the front of my X-T2, despite me also having the 18-55. In real life, you'd be very hard pushed to see any difference between A3+ prints taken at the same FL etc. with both lenses. The extra range also makes it the perfect partner with the 10-24 and 100-400, giving useful overlap of FL. Probably worth mentioning that I use mine mainly on holiday where the light is either very good or dark (when I'm shooting, anyway!)

Already had a few responses but here's another opinion!

As has been said, it's not quite as sharp as the 18-55 or as fast but it's so much better at 56mm and beyond that it's now all but welded to the front of my X-T2, despite me also having the 18-55. In real life, you'd be very hard pushed to see any difference between A3+ prints taken at the same FL etc. with both lenses. The extra range also makes it the perfect partner with the 10-24 and 100-400, giving useful overlap of FL. Probably worth mentioning that I use mine mainly on holiday where the light is either very good or dark (when I'm shooting, anyway!)

Thanks for that, I’m definitely close to buying as it’s for a particular project that I have in mind. I do have a good few lenses known for their sharpness but I’m not a pixel peeper and rarely print over A3 so it should be fine.

For Fuji RAW files Adobe have default sharpening set far too high IMO, they have it at 40. That's where the old known issues start kicking in, as people leave it at default and then add more sharpening on top. Also, I use mask sharpening, if I add any at all - I limit sharpening to the areas I want sharpened and mask all else [alt + the masking slider] I find these 2 adjustments alone give great results and I never see any signs of weird artifacts - I have other adjustments that I do to almost all images but that's the base
Alternatively, if the only issue troubling you is the LR sharpening, get the Iridient X-Transformer plugin and use that. I use that as the base and then do any further sharpening in PS with Smart Sharpen if needed. I never seem to have any issues with artefacts and get plenty of detail if I want it. Of course, if you like other features of C1, it may still be worth it. I found it a very capable program, but couldn't justify the expense at the time.

I was in Berlin last weekend, but the weather was pretty dire. Took some pictures anyway, as you do. This half-second exposure would have been easier with a tripod (which I left at home) but on the whole I think the painterly effect quite suits the conditions.

Shimmer
by David Hallett, on Flickr

As nobody else has claimed it yet I’ll have it - I guess I don’t know what I don’t know!

Just seen this now, your more than welcome to the book, I`m going to be busy now with Xmas coming but I will post it to you just after Xmas (y)
Closer to time I will PM you for your address.

Thats an absolute bargin, hope its not a reflection of its condition and you have genuine bargin. I even think MBP would pay more than that.

Its an ex hire lens, so will be cosmetically possible a bit rougher than most. The photos of it looked fine though, just a bit of dust and muck in the rubber of the focus and zoom rings. They said a small amount of dust inside it too, but I think that's pretty much unavoidable.
As long as its optically good, I don't care what the outside looks like.

I am reading with interest all your views on LR vs C1. I currently use LR and have been for many a year, but when next out taking photos I may download the free trial of C1 to try it out. But many questions before
* I hardly ever use PS but I see that many seem to do their final editing in this - is that where I am going wrong and should if I used C1, do I also need PS as well? If I gave up my subscription of LR, it would also include giving up PS.
* I, like some of you, am also not overly keen on learning a new software - but I also watched the Thomas Heaton YouTube briefly on C1. Is it really harder to learn when I am used to the LR way?

I'm just sharing my thoughts really, but if anyone has some opinions that could help, all is appreciated.

So I tend to use LR, mainly because I like the workflow and have got used to it. I do have the free version of C1 and if I'm honest, I can't see a lot of difference in the output. As for PS, I tend to use the the "Photo/Edit In/PS" option in LR for resizing, adding borders, maybe a touch of unsharp mask (but I'm now comfortable with raising the sharpening tool in LR but using the "Alt" key with the Masking slider and controlling the sharpening, so I rarely do that these days).

If I'm shooting landscapes, LR allows me to either stitch together a panorama, or blend multiple shots to get DR. I can't do this in C1, and LR generates a DNG file which C1 doesn't see, so I can't do it that way either, so it just screws up my workflow completely. Hence that's why I've stuck with LR.

Last edited:
I’ve been using Dng files in C1 no problems. Maybe because it’s the full version trial.

I’ve been using Dng files in C1 no problems. Maybe because it’s the full version trial.

Maybe, but even so, I can't see the point of binging files into LR to merge them, and then having to open another app to edit them when LR itself is more than capable.

Maybe, but even so, I can't see the point of binging files into LR to merge them, and then having to open another app to edit them when LR itself is more than capable.
light room does not do pixel level editing.
I only use Lightroom for the Dam and later output.
I do everthing else in Photoshop including using the raw processor.

I had to walk into town so left a little earlier and took my lightweight camera & tripod in my handbag (ok it's not a tiny handbag)! Wasn't expecting much of a sunrise, but was pleasantly surprised.
X-T3 + 16-80 f11 ISO160, K&F Concept tripod TC-2335
Edited in Lightroom (decided there is not enough pull - or I'm just a little lazy) to go over to C1. May try later if not happy with some editing, but then I only photograph for my enjoyment and to share.
Social Media-1741.jpgSocial Media-1761.jpg

Last edited:
I had to walk into town so left a little earlier and took my lightweight camera & tripod in my handbag (ok it's not a tiny handbag)! Wasn't expecting much of a sunrise, but was pleasantly surprised.
Edited in Lightroom (decided there is not enough pull - or I'm just a little lazy) to go over to C1. May try later if not happy with some editing, but then I only photograph for my enjoyment and to share.
View attachment 263600View attachment 263601

Two “Excellent” Fujigraphs, with some lovely light & colours. Liking both of these very much.

George.

View attachment 263600View attachment 263601

Like both of these. Nice subtle colours (y)

Lol what is it with girls and handbags ;)

Lol what is it with girls and handbags

Don't even go down that road !!!

My wife is over from the USA for a few days so we decided to take a trip to London on Saturday (just gone). We first hit Borough Market and then walked along the South Bank to St Thomas' Hospital so I cold drop a c/card into the ward I was in earlier in the year. We then headed on up to the Piccadilly area for what I thought would be to see the lights and do a bit of window shopping. "BAD DECISION" !!! My wife managed to coax me into some of the shops which I foolishly agreed to do. The rest you've probably figured out for yourself, she started looking at b****y "HANDBAGS" & "SHOES". Have you any idea how much these things cost around the Piccadilly area? When she came out of one of the shops I thought she'd bought the entire ******* stock instead of just one handbag. Thank the heavens they never had her size in shoes of the ones that she liked.

"ANY CONTRIBUTIONS TO MY BANK BALANCE WILL BE MOST GRATEFULLY RECEIVED" (y):):)

George.

My wife is over from the USA for a few days so we decided to take a trip to London on Saturday (just gone). We first hit Borough Market and then walked along the South Bank to St Thomas' Hospital so I cold drop a c/card into the ward I was in earlier in the year. We then headed on up to the Piccadilly area for what I thought would be to see the lights and do a bit of window shopping. "BAD DECISION" !!! My wife managed to coax me into some of the shops which I foolishly agreed to do. The rest you've probably figured out for yourself, she started looking at b****y "HANDBAGS" & "SHOES". Have you any idea how much these things cost around the Piccadilly area? When she came out of one of the shops I thought she'd bought the entire ******* stock instead of just one handbag. Thank the heavens they never had her size in shoes of the ones that she liked.

George.

Husband and Wife are Christmas Shopping at a busy shopping mall just before Christmas. The wife suddenly noticed that her husband was missing and as they had a lot to do, she called him on his phone.

The wife said " Where are you, you know we have lots to do."

He said "You remember the jewelers we went into about 10 years ago, and you fell in love with that diamond necklace? I couldn’t afford it at the time and I said that one day I would get it for you?"

Little tears started to flow down her cheek and she got all

choked up…

"Yes, I do remember that shop." she replied.

"I'm in the camera shop next door to it" he replied

How is af performance with that combo?

It’s ‘ok’ but doesn’t always focus, I think though in the New Year I will get a Fuji lens to replace it - but not the 100-400 as it is too big, so not sure yet which one.

But saying that, today I got some shots I’m quite happy with.
Social Media-1797.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry posted in wrong thread.:banghead:

George.

Last edited:

George.

Haha I bet Liberty`s was on the agenda ... Ouch I feel for you, mate. Bags n shoes are a killer ;)

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at Borough Market London UK of a young girl being served some Fast Food from a Market Trader.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/50th @ F5.6, ISO-320, Handheld.

Fast Food (1) (M)-03357M
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Nice one George. The hungry looking on-lookers make it work really well.

Nice one George. The hungry looking on-lookers make it work really well.

Thank you kindly fellow snapper, I sure do appreciated your reply.

G.K.Jnr.

Not sure if I'm going to get on much over the next few days. We have visitors arriving tomorrow, and we have double celebrations on Wednesday as it's my Birthday too. So....

Happy Christmas all you Fuji folk, and hopefully I'll be on boxing day or Friday, after playing with my Birthday present :banana::banana::banana:

Not sure if I'm going to get on much over the next few days. We have visitors arriving tomorrow, and we have double celebrations on Wednesday as it's my Birthday too. So....

Happy Christmas all you Fuji folk, and hopefully I'll be on boxing day or Friday, after playing with my Birthday present :banana::banana::banana:

My birthday NYE, so I feel for you! Did you always get the ol' "that thing I got you for Christmas, er, that was for your birthday too!" :D

I just finished up the last of my shopping tonight, 3hrs in a shopping centre full of walking dead has me a bit stressed, so having a brewski here

Happy Christmas all.

My birthday NYE, so I feel for you! Did you always get the ol' "that thing I got you for Christmas, er, that was for your birthday too!" :D
I used to get that from my parents and my birthday is in mid Feb!!!!

I used to get that from my parents and my birthday is in mid Feb!!!!

:ROFLMAO:

I wonder can I get away with same? My Partner's birthday is on the 16th Jan and one of my daughter's on the 28th, also my Dad's on the 7th

And I wasn't supposed to be born for weeks later either.

Back