The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

To X-Pro 2 or not to X-Pro 2, that is the question.

Hello to all you lovely Fujigraphers!

I've recently bought an X-Pro1 (moved from Nikon to Fujifilm), at a really good price and I absolutely love it, as i'm looking to head into the 'semi-professional' photography route (whatever that may be). Now, my dilema is, do I upgrade to an X-Pro2 (the 3 will be way out of my price range). I'll be using the camera mainly for landscapes and seascapes so, at the moment, the only advantage I can really see for getting the 2 is the increase in mp at the sensor, and the newer sensor design. I recently sold a print which was printed at A2 and, I have to say, the quality was absolutely fine, so is it worth me spending the extra or should I stick with the 1?

Now, I do realise that i'll get a lot of differing views on this but i'd really appreciate the views of those who have already made the upgrade from 1 to 2.

cheers all.

Well, I've had one XP1 and two XP2s - I still have the XP1 which says alot about me. I am hankering after another XP2 as they're very well priced ATM but I know it will make very little difference to my photography.

If I were you, I'd buy an XP2 and keep the XP1 as first reserve - put a different lens on each and then you would not have to faff about changing lenses.

That`s a new one to me, on the beach ?

Its on the inside of a door on the hut opposite the Fishermans Museum down on the arches

FkopKu9h.jpg

@Dave70D
Fuji X Secrets book received Dave.....thank you soooo much.

I'm going to have a good thumb through that over the holidays and take some useful advice from it.

As it is the season of good will, once I am finished with it I will pass it over to someone else free of charge so that another Fuji shooter can benefit from its wealth of information.

@Dave70D

I'm going to have a good thumb through that over the holidays and take some useful advice from it.

As it is the season of good will, once I am finished with it I will pass it over to someone else free of charge so that another Fuji shooter can benefit from its wealth of information.

Yes please and I'd be happy to continue the process.

@Dave70D

Maybe we should have a picture post, a random shot with the book somewhere in it, before its passed onto to next person!!!

@Dave70D

I’ve just bought a copy of this to have a look at. For a change I bought a real book and not kindle version.

@Dave70D

I’d be interested also (y)

@Dave70D

I’d be interested also (y)

So would I

Do any of you have any tips for using Capture One Pro to proccess Fuji raw files?

I've always used Lightroom, I know there is a theory that LR leaves a wormy effect on Fuji files but I can't say I've ever noticed it, anyway, Thomas Heatons latest video where he gives Capture One a try has convinced me to download the free trial and give it a go to see if it really does handle Fuji raw files better than LR, I've processed a couple of images and so far it does seem to render images sharper but it's almost too sharp... I'll keep practising as I know it's a learning curve, any tips appreciated!

MV Miss Lakeland by Adam P, on Flickr

To X-Pro 2 or not to X-Pro 2, that is the question.

Hello to all you lovely Fujigraphers!

I've recently bought an X-Pro1 (moved from Nikon to Fujifilm), at a really good price and I absolutely love it, as i'm looking to head into the 'semi-professional' photography route (whatever that may be). Now, my dilema is, do I upgrade to an X-Pro2 (the 3 will be way out of my price range). I'll be using the camera mainly for landscapes and seascapes so, at the moment, the only advantage I can really see for getting the 2 is the increase in mp at the sensor, and the newer sensor design. I recently sold a print which was printed at A2 and, I have to say, the quality was absolutely fine, so is it worth me spending the extra or should I stick with the 1?

Now, I do realise that i'll get a lot of differing views on this but i'd really appreciate the views of those who have already made the upgrade from 1 to 2.

cheers all.[/QUOTE

I don`t have the Xpro1 but have the Xpro2, of what I`ve seen of the images from the pro1 it is still a cracking camera that a long with the photographer can put out great images... So the choice is yours sorry to say.

@Dave70D

Glad you got it, IMO it could very well be the best Fuji X book on the market.

My 50mm F2 has left the building - nothing wrong with the lens, I just barely used it since buying it a couple months back. It felt wasted on me - I ha a number of reasons for selling: It's not a FL I find I'd use too often, I've also been busier lately so haven't been taking near as many photos - plus a bit of loss of 'mojo' - and ... the 16mm 1.4 is just too good for the 50 to get a look in! I have shot 3 Christmas parties and also a family get together recently and though I brought both lenses, the 16mm was all I used each time. Of course it meant I had to get in closer when I was shooting candids, as I do at these events a lot, but the comfort of not having to switch out lenses for different scenarios is refreshing - honestly feel the 16mm is better than any of the short range zooms for general purpose. Never mind all that 'too wide for portraits' spiel - I took plenty of single person head and upper body shots and they don't look in any way off. I shot mostly at 1.4 too, and they are sharp as you'd ever need.

But .... there is one lens that still takes my fancy and if I was to get it the 16mm might be the one to go, and that's the old reliable 35 1.4. This would be better for those candid shots and yes, it is a better lens for single person portraits if that's what you do more so. It is the perfect in-betweener to the 16mm and 50mm. I'll see how I feel, still waiting to see what the Viltrox 23 1.4 is like whenever it's released [was supposed to be this month] and I also like the idea of their 85 1.8 for a bit more reach.

My 35 f1.4 gets a lot of use these days, it's fixed to one of the T2 body's at the moment.

My 35 f1.4 gets a lot of use these days, it's fixed to one of the T2 body's at the moment.

My first time out with Fuji, when I had the XT1, the 35 1.4 was on there most of the time. I had other lenses, some vintage MF lenses, the Fuji 55-200, the 27mm 2.8 and a Samyang 12mm, but the 35 1.4 was my go to I'm thinking that and the Viltrox 85 1.8 would be a sweet pair

Last edited:
An old image, but processed in Capture one. One of my first attempts. It renders more detail, less noise and the highlight recovery is far superior to LR.

Dammit.

Nice work (y)

Try the C1 fuji express (free). I use that to process my raws now, and then finish off in PS (but I`m guessing LR would be the same) :)

Nice work (y)

Try the C1 fuji express (free). I use that to process my raws now, and then finish off in PS (but I`m guessing LR would be the same) :)

That's what I downloaded first, but it's quite limited, just basic slider edits. I'd rather have it all in one place rather than keep switching between programs but I might try it again once the free trial of the full versions ends.

That's what I downloaded first, but it's quite limited, just basic slider edits. I'd rather have it all in one place rather than keep switching between programs but I might try it again once the free trial of the full versions ends.

I just do a few raw bits (as I used to in ACR), then just hit "edit in". Only one more step, as opposed to atomatically opening PS. I`m too long in the tooth to learn someting totally new lol and been using PS since CS 3 :)

Last edited:

I have the free version here too, only used it a couple of times to test - still much, much prefer LR and I don't find I have any issues with how it processes. When you have it set up correct for Fuji RAW files I see little to no difference between what LR can do vs C1 - but, personal preference is a thing, if you prefer C1 then it is a solid choice. I just don't like the layout

Free to to the first person who says YES.

Just found an old book.

The FujiFilm X-T2 120 X-Pert Tips
To get the most out of your camera... By Rico Pfirstinger.

As nobody else has claimed it yet I’ll have it - I guess I don’t know what I don’t know!

I have the free version here too, only used it a couple of times to test - still much, much prefer LR and I don't find I have any issues with how it processes. When you have it set up correct for Fuji RAW files I see little to no difference between what LR can do vs C1 - but, personal preference is a thing, if you prefer C1 then it is a solid choice. I just don't like the layout

When you say set up LR correct for Fuji RAW files , what do you mean?
Ive been using LR for a long time and I like it, but after using C1 for 5 minutes, it was clear c1 has far better handling of highlights, detail and noise. If there is something I’m missing in LR regarding Fuji files, I’d love to know.

I can recover a lot more highlight detail in c1 than I can in LR and that’s quite important, again if there is something in LR I’m missing that would make it better for Fuji Raw, I’d love to know.
Once I can talk again (stinking cold, merry xmas!) I shall make a video about the differences I’ve found to show what I mean better than trying to type it.

When you say set up LR correct for Fuji RAW files , what do you mean?
Ive been using LR for a long time and I like it, but after using C1 for 5 minutes, it was clear c1 has far better handling of highlights, detail and noise. If there is something I’m missing in LR regarding Fuji files, I’d love to know.

I can recover a lot more highlight detail in c1 than I can in LR and that’s quite important, again if there is something in LR I’m missing that would make it better for Fuji Raw, I’d love to know.
Once I can talk again (stinking cold, merry xmas!) I shall make a video about the differences I’ve found to show what I mean better than trying to type it.

If I’m editing a RAF file in LR, first thing I do is pull the sharpening down to zero. The default 40 is way too high. I then do the enhance detail thing. I never sharpen in LR, always in PS.

Tbh, I still can’t decide. I’m convinced that CO gives a better RAW conversion in a lot of cases/images. The other times I see no real difference. LR is never better. The catch is that I’ve used LR for ages and like it more than CO. Ok, it’s a case of relearning I guess but I’d rather not. CO’s lack of pano and hdr is an issue as well.

Last edited:
Back