The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So...

.... yesterday found me trudging around in hail and snow and then standing, for what seemed like forever, in boggy 'orrible water that stank and was deeper than my boots were high. I think my socks crawled to the washing machine by themselves when I got home. All waiting for that five-second sliver of light. Yes, another day in Snowdonia. I love that place more than anywhere else. :D

My favourite mountain, Pen Yr Ole Wen...

Pen Yr Ole Wen Winter
by Jason, on Flickr
Love this! Those who wait don't always get, but it's worth it when you do :)

Like that a lot, Dave. I'd be tempted to lose a tiny bit off the bottom edge to dispose of the little bit of grassy edge - makes it look like you're nearer the brink!
Cheers! I see what you mean, funny because I was a good six yards back, up against the fence to get a little more height. I'd want to keep the 5:4 ratio, but maybe I could lose a little from the left too.

If you could get either the 27mm 2.8 or the new XC 35mm for £150, whats the better deal? Fancy a prime just not sure which would compliment my X-T20 better for a change from my 18-55

Depends, the 27mm is cracking little lens for the money if you like pancake lenses - perfect for travel] - but personally I'd go for the XC35 - I prefer that FL in general, also it'll be quieter, and slightly better optically and a stop faster. From what I've seen and read on the XC35, it's on par with the XF35 F2 in terms of output - it just lacks the build quality and weather sealing

So more quick JPEG photos taken it low-light, quick tweaks on my iPad Pro and uploaded to Flickr.

Taken with TCL 50mm
49596727833_a8e62fabda_c.jpg

Taken with TCL 50mm
49597232731_6c29942432_c.jpg

Some lens comparison photos....

28mm WCL - Top Photo
49596756898_dc85bbce48_c.jpg

35mm Standard - Middle Photo
49597256126_6ac7f8c4d9_c.jpg

50mm TCL - Bottom Photo
49597256146_ec5ba52878_c.jpg

28mm WCL - Top Photo
49597505902_6463ce7271_c.jpg

35mm Standard - Middle Photo
49597505897_ba448892db_c.jpg

50mm TCL - Bottom Photo
49597256191_f8695d3e79_c.jpg

Full size photos here...... https://flic.kr/s/aHsmLEmqGJ

Last edited:
Yes by reverse engineering - common practise especially in China, this can be done, issues may arise if Fuji change parts of their protocol, and if they do some of these products won't work on the latest tech Fuji gear. If its done with permission eg Zeiss then the relevant information will be shared. Sigma have already stated they will only make X mount lenses if Fuji make the information available, Fuji have chosen not to.

It‘s a shame really. The Sigma 150-600 could be a useful lens on a Fuji.

You still can using something like the stringer adapter, but one FW update from Fuji and the adapter could be bricked!!

I highly doubt this will happen, the Fringer pro adapter is into it's second outing already and about 20 FW updates across the board

I agree but the ‘risk’ is always there
But unlike some adapters and reverse engineered lenses there's a chip in the Fringer that may be able to take updates that negate the fw updates/advances Fuji bring in, so there should be less risk.

All I can say is the fringer pro mk1 I had worked excellently with the few old lenses I tried. If you can get one cheap and just fancy a bit of fun with sme Canon lenses, it's worth a shot. I had the 50 1.8 STM, 85 1.8 USM and 55-250 STM, had no issues with any of them really. The tele could have been a bit better AF-wise but I believe it can be a bit sluggish even on Canon bodies. I've seen reviews of the adapter using other Canon lenses and Sigma too, like the ever popular 18-35 1.8 - and each update just improved

Had another go, managed to edit in RAW via VSCO on iPad Pro.
Fuji X100V, 23mm at ISO6400
49598703562_d74ee37c51_c.jpg

Previous JPEG edit......

49596870928_90c66927a1_c.jpg
Somewhere in between would be spot on ;)

Riz. Do you no longer have LR or you going to
Use photo app to save cost

Riz. Do you no longer have LR or you going to
Use photo app to save cost

I’m moving away from Lightroom as not keen on the whole subscription model, granted that the VSCO app is also £19.99 per year but it’s a lot simpler to use and does what I need it seems.
I just import the RAW + JPEG’s onto my Apple Device and it’s backed up on iCloud etc.
My plan is to get better at taking the shot right in camera, including the film simulation so that I do less post-processing. :)

The early samples from the new lens online would suggest it is far, far sharper at F2 than the previous version. I hope they put they upgrade the stand alone 23F2 at some point too. It is the one reason I refuse to buy that lens, the horrible softness and glaring when it's at it's CFD wide open - makes it a 2.8 - F4 lens in my eyes. I buy primes to shoot wide open for the most part

@Riz_Guru Any difference in softness F4/F2.8/F2 ?? F2 close up focus was always known as the weakspot of the previous lens, but it got much better at F4

Without any scientific tests, it’s a way better lens compared to my original X100.
I shot those can shots at f2.0 at around 20-30cm distance approve. :)

Without any scientific tests, it’s a way better lens compared to my original X100.
I shot those can shots at f2.0 at around 20-30cm distance approve. :)

Thanks, it wouldn't be hard to better the original, the X100F was much improved due tio the inherent better sharpness of the X-Trans3 sensor. No doubt I'll find out more on Wednesday when I get to play with one!

Thanks, it wouldn't be hard to better the original, the X100F was much improved due tio the inherent better sharpness of the X-Trans3 sensor. No doubt I'll find out more on Wednesday when I get to play with one!

Play and then buy! :p
The X100V retains the same formula like the previous generations, so don’t go expecting a life changing difference, lol.
It’s a slower paced camera and at the other end of the scale when compared to my old Sony gear. :)

Play and then buy! :p
The X100V retains the same formula like the previous generations, so don’t go expecting a life changing difference, lol.
It’s a slower paced camera and at the other end of the scale when compared to my old Sony gear. :)

Its almost inevitable (I've even got a buyer lined up for my battered F), its not as slow paced as the original X100 which I've been messing about with this week.

H1 has arrived :D
Looks brand new, not a mark on it anywhere. Not even a thumb print. Even the viewfinder doesn`t have a speck of dust. Super pleased with it ... Battery on charge, and reading through manual now. Hpoefully settings and set up will be similar to my T2

H1 has arrived :D
Looks brand new, not a mark on it anywhere. Not even a thumb print. Even the viewfinder doesn`t have a speck of dust. Super pleased with it ... Battery on charge, and reading through manual now. Hpoefully settings and set up will be similar to my T2
I'm sure you will enjoy the H1, great camera :)

I handled the Fuji X-H1 again a long side a X-T3, I’m actually find the X-H1 grip too big for my hands and prefer the X-T body size.
Will see next year :p

Another one from Pembrokeshire in the tail end of Storm Dennis. This little beach is quite fun - the steep steel staircase offers an elevated perspective and also keeps the dog walkers at bay. In fact, the nearest car park is a good 20 minutes clifftop walk away, so you're likely to have the place to yourself. I'm told there is supposed to be sand at low tide, but the sea wasn't really doing low tide on this day. The long exposure hides the amount of foam flying around!

Asunder
by David Hallett, on Flickr

I'm sure you will enjoy the H1, great camera :)

So far so good :) Fuji even updated the firmware for me. I`m impressed at how much more of an effort you have to put in to rotate the command dials too. Just need to sort out my custom buttons now.
It does feel nice in the hand, for sure :)

Quick question ... Does the top LCD stay on all the time, or can it be set to turn off with the camera?

I think it stays on all the time. Not found out how to turn it off yet on mine!

So far so good :) Fuji even updated the firmware for me. I`m impressed at how much more of an effort you have to put in to rotate the command dials too. Just need to sort out my custom buttons now.
It does feel nice in the hand, for sure :)

Quick question ... Does the top LCD stay on all the time, or can it be set to turn off with the camera?
Stays on all the time and can't be turned off as far as I know, there is a light button next to it, it can be set to black on white or vice versa.

I think it stays on all the time. Not found out how to turn it off yet on mine!
Stays on all the time and can't be turned off as far as I know, there is a light button next to it, it can be set to black on white or vice versa.

Cheers, chaps (y) I just wondered, and have turned off all the bits I don`t want to show, which IMO makes it so much easier to read ;)

Back