The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Ashridge... First Outing with the X100V this morning

L5YKOU4.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much George. :)

Lenses incoming from MPB tomorrow, so this weekend I should be set to take my first Fuji photograph since my finepix 2800 2mp camera almost 20 years ago!!! That was my first digital camera, bought on a whim on a weekend away at Bath.

Park Cameras currently have a good deal on the Fuji version of Capture One. What is the general consensus of Capture One versus Lightroom for processing Fuji raw files (specifically from an X-T3 if that makes any difference) these days?

Cheers,

Simon.

Park Cameras currently have a good deal on the Fuji version of Capture One. What is the general consensus of Capture One versus Lightroom for processing Fuji raw files (specifically from an X-T3 if that makes any difference) these days?

Cheers,

Simon.
I have it and I think it is really good, as a replacement for LR i'd say it is great. I also have ON1 Raw which is also very good, but can't shoot tethered with Fuji, which was the main reason I also bought Capture One. You can try the free version to see how you get on.

Cheers,

Simon.

There's a 55% voucher on Fuji rumours. I paid just over £60 for the full Fuji version. I think it processes raw better than lightroom.

I have it and I think it is really good, as a replacement for LR i'd say it is great. I also have ON1 Raw which is also very good, but can't shoot tethered with Fuji, which was the main reason I also bought Capture One. You can try the free version to see how you get on.

So what does the paid for version have that the free version doesn't?

I'm an Adobe advocate, I love LR, PS and have now started using Portfolio. However, I have the free version of C1, but rarely use it because it lacks some of the major functions of Adobe, especially around multiple files (focus stacking, HDR blending, and panoramas).

So what does the paid for version have that the free version doesn't?

I'm an Adobe advocate, I love LR, PS and have now started using Portfolio. However, I have the free version of C1, but rarely use it because it lacks some of the major functions of Adobe, especially around multiple files (focus stacking, HDR blending, and panoramas).

Export the images to affinity to stack/merge.

I'm ditching lightroom once my sub ends.

There's a 55% voucher on Fuji rumours. I paid just over £60 for the full Fuji version. I think it processes raw better than lightroom.

I can find a 25% voucher code on Fuji rumours, but not a 55% one. Do you have a link for it David (or PM me the voucher code?)

Cheers,

Simon.

I can find a 25% voucher code on Fuji rumours, but not a 55% one. Do you have a link for it David (or PM me the voucher code?)

Cheers,

Simon.

55% JR6B-BNTW-ISI1-6WUL
50% W03S-CXBL-UXG1-SB9
47% JR6B-BNTW-ISI1-6WUL

If they aren't working download the free version and they'll email you a 50% offer after 2-3weeks. I used the 55% one and had an offer emailed a few days later to upgrade the free version at 50%.

Usual Yorkshire Dales weather yesterday but nice to be using my new Fujifilm X-T3 in anger with still impressing me 16-80 mm F4. Very pleased that one of the images was picked up by the Daily Telegraph for their lead image in an article on the train in today's paper.

Steam back on the Long Drag ...
by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

Ais Gill viaduct with 70000 Brittania

Last edited:
Usual Yorkshire Dales weather yesterday but nice to be using my new Fujifilm X-T3 in anger with still impressing me 16-80 mm F4. Very pleased that one of the images was picked up by the Daily Telegraph for their lead image in an article on the train in today's paper.

Just got to like those

Two very nice Fujigraphs, well composed with some very nice colours.

George.

Absolutely bloody Fab...end of.

Anyone else encountered this little nuance and is there a work around?

On my X-T4 I've noticed that if you use self timer with camera in AF-C mode, it will revert to AF-S mode. That doesn't sound like a problem except that I use back button focussing and de-couple the shutter button from focussing in AF-C mode. When in AF-S mode the shutter button will engage focus (I prefer that as it means I can hand camera to wife to use without having to explain how to focus). Where this is a problem, as I have now found out to my determent is for landscape shooting where I will often auto-focus on something and then leave it there. Except unwittingly the camera was refocus when I pressed the shutter.

Solutions seem to be to either always shoot manual focus for landscape which is fine if I always remember or to de-couple the shutter button in AF-S as well which is not ideal. Anything else?

Think this maybe got lost in traffic the first time around. Anybody been able to find a work around for this?

Think this maybe got lost in traffic the first time around. Anybody been able to find a work around for this?

I've just tried this with my X-H1, in AF-C the camera always refocuses when pressing the shutter butter regardless of whether self timer in selected or not -

If I de-couple the shutter button focus in AF-C, holding AF-ON continuously focuses as you would expect, and the pressing the shutter does not cause a refocus - again as you would expect

In self timer mode, the X-H1 behaves as you describe, switching to AF-S (from AF-C) with the AF-ON button, and it also refocuses when I press the shutter button, so the de-couple has been disabled.

If I'm in manual then it focuses with AF-ON and does not refocus with the shutter button - I have AF ON in AF-S - (so not decoupled) - self timer ON/OFF makes no difference.

So why do you have to de-couple shutter button in AF-S when you are in manual??

I've just tried this with my X-H1, in AF-C the camera always refocuses when pressing the shutter butter regardless of whether self timer in selected or not -

If I de-couple the shutter button focus in AF-C, holding AF-ON continuously focuses as you would expect, and the pressing the shutter does not cause a refocus - again as you would expect

In self timer mode, the X-H1 behaves as you describe, switching to AF-S (from AF-C) with the AF-ON button, and it also refocuses when I press the shutter button, so the de-couple has been disabled.

If I'm in manual then it focuses with AF-ON and does not refocus with the shutter button - I have AF ON in AF-S - (so not decoupled) - self timer ON/OFF makes no difference.

So why do you have to de-couple shutter button in AF-S when you are in manual??

Cheers for looking into this. To answer your question, there is no issue at all when shooting manual. As I say that mode works fine but what it does dictate is that if I'm shooting landscape using self timer I either have to shoot in manual or have to decouple AF-S shutter button focus. I admit this isn't a massive problem and my solution thus far has indeed been to shoot in manual focus mode. But.... every other camera I've owned, if set up to back button focus, never needed to be moved from AF-C. You could shoot anyway you like with AF-C selected. It's not really that obvious to me why Fuji has chosen to set the camera up this way.

Edited to say, I guess one other work around is that I could start using a remote cable again instead of self timer. Maybe I've got a bit lazy about that recently.

Last edited:
I also have a question re self timer. Once set, if camera goes to sleep it reverts back to no self timer. If I'm stood with the camera on a tripod waiting for nice light, I'm happy for the camera to go to sleep to preserve the battery life, but don't want to lose settings when I wake it up! Is it possible to retain the 'self timer on' setting?

Last edited:
I also have a question re self timer, once set, if camera goes to sleep it reverts back to no self timer. If I'm stood with the camera on a tripod waiting for nice light, I'm happy for the camera to go to sleep, but don't want to lose settings when I wake it up! Is it possible to retain the self timer on setting?

You can lengthen the sleep mode to 5 min in POWER MANAGEMENT

You can lengthen the sleep mode to 5 min in POWER MANAGEMENT
Thanks. I actually turned it off altogether as I was in position for about 40 minutes, so even 5 minutes wouldnt have fixed it, but obviously that's more drain on the battery. I was hoping there was a (semi) permanent solution to keeping settings.

Thanks. I actually turned it off altogether as I was in position for about 40 minutes, so even 5 minutes wouldnt have fixed it, but obviously that's more drain on the battery. I was hoping there was a (semi) permanent solution to keeping settings.

I don't know which camera you have, but I usually have self-timer programmed into one of D-Pad buttons, makes it quick to access, if you have no D-Pad you could put it on a different function button.

You could buy a Sony camera :oops: :$ That then has the problem that after shooting some landscapes on a tripod you take the camera out of the bag and try to grab a shot at the decisive moment and watch it count down for 10 seconds!
I've just switched from Olympus, where literally everything can be set to custom "my settings" so I had one for landscape, one for wildlife and one for 'normal' which was ideal. I dare say I'll get used to a new way of working pretty quickly though. The Fuji menus are laid out in a sensible fashion.

I don't know which camera you have, but I usually have self-timer programmed into one of D-Pad buttons, makes it quick to access, if you have no D-Pad you could put it on a different function button.
Yes I'll do that, thanks. It's the X-H1

I have the self timer set to the function button on the front of the camera. I find this very useful.

Back